• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
What was the problem? It seems like a cliffhanger of sorts. :grin:

Do you mean some of the new natives for special effects or all of them (new ones only, related to special effects), or is it something else entirely? :O
1. Was caused by some functions that appeared in every map in the header that returned null as a value. Altering or removing it fixed 'everything' (that I know of). The worst part of all of it is I don't think I've ever called those functions before.

2. No, I mean Special Effects triggers in general. Even the original ones are currently not working. It was noted in the patch notes.

Last edited:
Level 32
Some of the arguments about widescreen vs stretched are getting heated more than they should be. I'm super glad that you guys are passionate about every aspect of the game, but please keep personal insults out of the equation. Petty passive aggression all over a WC3 argument is lame.
Nothing right now is of a completely unacceptable, flame-war like nature, but further escalation may lead to rule violations that we'll have to step in and take care of.

Also:
upload_2018-4-16_23-55-41.png

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it already: Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1 (PTR)

Reactions: pyf
Level 13
One of the things I am noticing is that developing maps in v1.29 means players with older versions of the game cannot access them.
This is bringing up quite the predicament: Should I continue developing in an older version for the fans, or not?

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One of the things I am noticing is that developing maps in v1.29 means players with older versions of the game cannot access them.
Players really should not be using old versions of Warcraft III. I would say focus development for only the most recent version. That is unless you are one of those who for some reason wants to play an old version of Warcraft III.

HB.

HB.

Level 3
Dr Super Good: On a sidenote, do you know what has been going on with the ladder website? The rankings haven't been updated for months despite all the complaining from players. Interestingly, in the meantime all the subpages (Full Game Listings, Overall Reports, etc.) have been working fine , in contrast to what the ladder website problems were usually about in the past (the main list being updated, the rest not).

The website has been unstable for so many years now.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Dr Super Good: On a sidenote, do you know what has been going on with the ladder website? The rankings haven't been updated for months despite all the complaining from players. Interestinly, in the meantime all the subpages (Full Game Listings, Overall Reports, etc.) have been working fine , in contrast to what the ladder website problems were usually about in the past (the main list being updated, the rest not).

The website has been unstable for so many years now.
I am guessing it is still very much a work in progress. Ladder is a key focus of the development team, as the recent balance patch shows, however updating all the old infrastructure and systems likely is very difficult so will take some time.

Reactions: HB.

HB.

HB.

Level 3
The ladder website was fine for many years though. Does it require any efforts from the Classic Team for it to continue working? After all, no improvements have been implemented on it. It's the same website as in 2002.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Does it require any efforts from the Classic Team for it to continue working?
Yes because those servers do need to be updated at some time.
After all, no improvements have been implemented on it. It's the same website as in 2002.
Exactly. It is so old it will soon have problems to run at all. Like Warcraft III did not work well on Windows 10 until 1.28.

Level 20
This is bringing up quite the predicament: Should I continue developing in an older version for the fans, or not?

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
There's only two significant useful 'epochs' of Warcraft III development right now-- current, which is 1.29, and stable, which is 1.26. If you absolutely feel like you have to maintain versions like that 1.26 is probably your best bet.

Otherwise, for most considerations keeping with the current version is usually the best way to go.

====

Historically I would also include the pre-hash table 'return bug' era (I think it was 1.23 or 1.24), but that also came with some nasty exploits so that period is dead dead.

Level 6
Maybe I can give it a try, then?
:grin:

@fang24: Out of curiosity, did you own any 4:3 display device before?

I don't know. The doctor super good guy is cares too much about winning then to tell me how to find out any of this.

Some of the arguments about widescreen vs stretched are getting heated more than they should be. I'm super glad that you guys are passionate about every aspect of the game, but please keep personal insults out of the equation. Petty passive aggression all over a WC3 argument is lame.
Nothing right now is of a completely unacceptable, flame-war like nature, but further escalation may lead to rule violations that we'll have to step in and take care of.

Also: View attachment 296607

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it already: Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1 (PTR)

Thank you that is helpful. And I know I am doing my best to keep within the rules but it just drives me mad having someone tell me and others I am wrong for what I like and should deal with it. But not to worry I am ingoreing them now.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I wasted HOURS. And the PTR is not making me any optimistic, it isn't providing the fixes that I need.
What fixes do you need?
I even get random crashes now ffs.
Sure it is not the map you are playing? Warcraft III has always been highly prone to random crashes.

Remember to send the crash report to Blizzard as that might help them locate and solve the cause.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
What fixes do you need?
Apart from a working minimap in the world editor, a game that doesn't randomly crash, custom icons that don't randomly turn into a pixel mess, not screwed up colors, and several other annoyances?

Sure it is not the map you are playing? Warcraft III has always been highly prone to random crashes.
Yes.

Level 8
- Loading screen not being displayed
- Terrain made with WEX is missing
- Multiboards are not being displayed properly
- Texttags are misplaced

And what is wrong with the resolutions...

Last edited:
Level 6
Guys! Since the patch, I haven't been able to move in the editor maps thanks to the directional keys anymore. It says there are some mouse events unavailable or something. Is it normal? Is there a way to fix this? :O
Thanks for the help!

No we just have to wait for the 1.29.1 patch

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
custom icons that don't randomly turn into a pixel mess
Most likely they were malformed. Try using a proper BLP converter. I can even get 1920*1080 BLPs to load flawlessly.
- Loading screen not being displayed
Probably malformed BLP files. Blame the kids before me who did not bother finding out how BLP files actually worked.
- Terrain made with WEX is missing
Please elaborate, possibly with images.
- Multiboards are not being displayed properly
- Texttags are misplaced

And what is wrong with the resolutions...
Teething problems with the wide screen. Especially on 5:4 or other narrow screen resolutions.

Level 19
"you broke it"
"no, u used it improperly all along, now we fixed that"
"no, you broke it"
And in fact map makers are right there - windows still supports all the errors it had in past versions in compat mode, just to keep it's user's software intouch. Breaking this rule would be bad for company's sells. Not for WC3, I guess. Or at least on the paper.

Reactions: pyf

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't mind changes to the game, though some stability would indeed be desirable.

New natives were in high demand, no doubt. Besides adding much needed natives, I believe a bottom-up approach is ideal. Basic things like pathing need a revamp. If for more tiles (or all tilesets) were available, that would be awesome too.

It's good being 14 again, boys!
Be most welcome back ;D

HB.

HB.

Level 3
"Resolved issues with Warcraft III ladder reset"

Does anybody have a clue what it means?

Level 5
I am trying to update, but getting errors, that something went wrong. Wtf?? How do I update?

Status
Not open for further replies.