1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29 PTR

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    trackables are obsolete now then?

2. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    No, trackables have hover detection and if you want to detect mouse over a model than you will probably still use trackables.

3. HighTac

HighTac

Resources:
    Resources:
  4. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, did not know about that. Thanks for info.

Yeah, I do not get what was wrong with having screenshot folder directly in WC3 folder as before.

How should I check that in which mode my game is?

5. Either see launch parameters or check if the game doesn't minimize when you tab out of it (which would make it windowed full screen).

6. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    About the screenshots being moved, it's probably something to do with the stupid user limitations. Windows versions starting from Vista(iirc) do not always let you modify stuff in program files, which is the warcraft should in theory be installed. You can remove that limitation, but you have to know. Having a game not work out of the box would suck, so many games keep their saves and stuff in my documents.

7. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh bois... I'm back in here. Love to all.

8. PrinceOfThaWest

PrinceOfThaWest

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have they added the option with these new player / player color additions (12 -> 24) for us to actually import custom colors into the editor and customize them? That'd be a neat feature, especially for campaign makers / custom RPG maps.

9. Fruit Forest

Fruit Forest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1. Melee/ladder
    I think it is made to imitate the Blizz's activity. Such changes can be achieved by anybody for 2 hours max.

2. General and Modder
    I hope 24 players and enchanced options for some triggers wouldn't affect on old maps (like you load an old map with the World Editor and get an error because of the version compability)
    I'm interesting that are 12 additional colors would be in the patch. (it's not black definetely, maybe dark red?)
    The new special effect options are not a big deal. You can easily create empty dummy, attach effects and remove it later then it is needed.
    Response mouse - looks like we will get maps like in mobile games where you can drag units with a cursor.

And still no news about Inventory bind changes.

I've really hoped for online WEditor or cooperative campaigns (not maps with preload codes)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ... holy

COW

OK, so, ok. So, Ok!

So alright, it essentially replaces the damage event entirely? With... Whatever? What kind of fields are available to us in there? Can we access information about the attacking or attacked units? Is that what stuff like "base damage" and "damage dice" are now trigger-available for??

Also, I've heard about people doing what you seem to have done (turning the 'specific' Unit is Attacked thing into a 'pseudo-generic' Unit is Attacked thing), via two separate triggers & a unit group... So is that what you did? And how 'clean' is your example (I know it was done fast, but I wanna learn based off of it, and I want to avoid too many leaks & all that)?

11. PatruX

PatruX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Heh, haven't been here in a while. Hype!

12. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    That damage demo gives me hope for some good and more advanced spells, simplified.

Yea, worth the hype indeed.

13. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Same pretty much! :)

Looks like I've missed something big! Already read through the patch notes. The proposed events to register projectile launch or unit damaged didn't make it though? :eek: :(

I'm glad with the changes to melee as well. Finally the much needed nerfs and buffs. The change to Far Seer's “Far Sight” spell is pretty neat.
    I'm glad Alchemist's Healing Spray no longer heals enemies too, but I'm not sure the buff to Acid Bomb was necessary. I'm one of the (seemingly very few) people that play Alchemist, and I can tell that when coupled with aggressive allies, such as Mountain King or Blademaster, he absolutely demolishes enemy heroes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not. Death and Decay damages friendly and owned units too. It's just one of those spells that needs some thinking and tact to use.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Are loading screens not forced into 4:3?
    Open to debate. Often times loading speed is bottlenecked by IO speed rather than processing time. As such a compressed file like JPEG might load faster than a TGA purely because less IO is needed to load it, even though JPEG takes several times longer to process.
    Documents is the correct place to put them. This was standardised since Windows Vista. Program Files data is meant to only be mutated by updaters for security reasons.
    Requires the application have write permission to the Program Files folder. Only the application updater should have that for security reasons. Additionally it violates the user account model of the system since these screenshots then become bound to the system rather than traveling with the user's account like anything in documents does.
    They keep them in Documents because that is where they are meant to be kept. It was bad programming in the first place to place them in the Program Files folder, something Windows Vista finally tried to fix.

16. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    yep, just came to my mind recently.

Does the mouse events return the px value or the % value of the mouse coordinates?

17. jojkov

jojkov

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't quite get all these changes, but seeing all these modders hyped and motivated brings me hope for another amazing campaigns!

18. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I got an other suggestion, when you put 13 or more player maps on folders of older warcraft 3 version, it crashes when you click on the display. So make them not visible when using older version.

19. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was pointing out that it was already possible to create a HD loading screen before Patch 1.29 PTR.

The 1920x1080 Loading Screen tutorial was published before Patch 1.27b was released iirc.

Loading speed should be irrelevant on a SSD drive imho.

Regarding the time-critical performance of JPG decoding routines, it is said somewhere that libjpeg-turbo can accelerate baseline JPEG compression and decompression when compared to libjpeg.

For the record, such differences with performance are best experienced on an i486 DX processor. I myself especially remember the MS-DOS image viewer QPV/386, which allowed for incredibly fast(er?) JPG processing on i386 CPUs and above.

Not sure how the processing time of a BMP or a JPG file compares to the processing time of a RLE compressed TGA file... But I must admit I am nitpicking here.

@deepstrasz @MasterHaosis @Xonok: I second DSG's opinion. Saving such user data in the (My) Documents folder is the way to go.

Even in the early Windows XP days, some AAA video games such as Dungeon Siege (published by Microsoft in 2002) already did that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. hypsandar

hypsandar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do I have to delete Warcraft III TFT and then install the new version? Because I installed the provided executable for windows & my game client's patch is still the same.