1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
  2. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  3. Map Designer

Map Designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WAIT, SO NOW 255 CAN PLAY IN 1 GAME? LOL

4. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    No, it refers to something else. However, there is still cause for celebration, since the number of players is doubled, from 12 to 24.

5. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    255 people on channel is good improvement instead of 40. Anyone knows how long clans will last?

6. UltrAnus69

UltrAnus69

Resources:
    Resources:
    This seemed to be the place which blizzard monitors the most.
    1.29.1 messed up my keyboard.
    So i thought id check the patch but when i updated my game , it messed up my keyboard inputs .
    So now whenever i typed in lobby or ingame for example 1 , it shows 81 and so on.
    Only happens with numbers.

7. Spatulon

Spatulon

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really hope they fix the tooltip natives soon! I've committed to them pretty hard. :(

How long do you guys think it'll be until another bug patch? They seem to be doing an awesome job so far.

8. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well we should get ingame option to edit binds like......seriously every other game in existence at this point xD

Also option to make menues stretched to 16:9 while ingame is in real 16:9 would be nice, i personally would like to stick to current, 4:3 menues and 16:9 ingame so AN OPTION. Not meaning to be aggressive or anything, also it's best solution, no edits/changes or possible harm to menu anims and glue screen can come from that, it's also just easier to do....so...why not just do it?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Because it is still wrong... It is like watching a 4:3 broadcast, like Diagnosis Murder, in 16:9. Just not right.

Sure it could be an option. But that means extra work. They could rather spend that time not programming that option and instead reworking the menu to support wide screen. StarCraft II has no problem with wide screen.

10. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No it isn't invisible, it is probably the most visible feature in the game and makes the models and UI thiner and weirder. I don't get why they changed the screen to that, since it stayed as normal fullscreen for 16 years, and the game was created like that, everyone was used to it, no reason to change that...don't tell me that it was deproportionate because no game developers would make a game have a screen like that and maintain it for 16 years, besides that empty space in the UI is just annoying and useless.

So max clan members is 255 too?
    Seems kind of an absurd amount of people in a channel, not to say the amount of spam it would be in channel, no one could see the text other people type, 150 would be a reasonable amount

11. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Have you ever owned a 4:3 monitor? Because Warcraft 3 was designed for them since 2002.

Before Patch 1.25b was released in 2011, no display resolution other than the 4:3 ones could be selected from within the video options of the game. This behavior was by design. Blizzard's mistake was to make this way of playing the game an official one, by unlocking the video modes other than the 4:3 ones in the Video options of the game, starting with Patch 1.25b.

For the record, it was already possible to play in 'stretched widescreen' mode before that, by directly editing two values in the Registry (reswidth and resheight) as appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No it does not... The field and UI is the same as before.
    One could only play Warcraft III using a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution. Any other aspect ratio resolution else, eg 1920x1080 for 16:9, resulted in the 4:3 composition being stretched to fill the screen area. This effectively made the game screen pixels non-square. The result is everything appears stretched out of shape. Most noticeable with the command card buttons as those must be square.
    Warcraft III was created with support only for 4:3. This is very different from modern Blizzard games like StarCraft II which were created with support for 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 and a whole load of other aspect ratios.
    Except that is exactly why it has been added now... Warcraft III has not been maintained for 16 years. They finally are getting around to maintaining it and adding features that should have been added long ago, such as wide screen support.
    Hopefully it is just a temporary hack while they work on an expanding UI. After all Blizzard is no stranger to such a thing as StarCraft II has such a UI.

13. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Both @pyf and @Dr Super Good are spot on regarding the facts about WC3's history with aspect ratio. @Wrda, I think your judgement comes from a personal preference that you're used to, and that has unintentionally been twisted into something you feel is fact.

The game was created to be 4:3, but later, we were given the ability to just stretched it to fit modern screens. The models / UI / everything are not "thinner" with this update, they are there true size. It's just that they are no longer stretched. What you think is the normal size is actually the complete opposite, only because you, like many others, have been playing a stretched version to fit our modern screens.

Now if it came down to personal preference rather than trying to prove that this change Blizzard did is wrong, I would kind of see the merit in that. But in the end, that preference comes down to what you were used to (nostalgia) as opposed to what it is supposed to be with objective reasoning.

About the black bars... they're just black bars in the menu. You don't have to do anything about them, they don't give a disadvantage, they don't obstruct. I mean I guess people can say it's ugly, but it's kind of obvious that those would be temporary. It even says in the patch notes that the fixed aspect ration was removed temporarily.

14. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    @StoPCampinGn00b what about maximum size limit maps? War3 Map Optimizer no longer can optimize script because blizzard removed war3patch.mpq from installation folder. Now you can only optimize object editor data. And since the map size is increased why the non optimized maps still cause longer loading screen? And will they ever increase downloading speed on battle.net? I don't know how Downloading system on SC2 works(If there is any) because I never like that game.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Blizzard hosts the maps. As such they can offer you download speeds that will saturate most consumer grade connections. I often get >>10 MB/sec downloading.

16. neven1

neven1

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol they still haven't fixed the typo
    • Hashtable storage limit isremoved

17. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Dr Super Good but if user made these maps. How on earth they host them? Its auto upload?

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  19. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    does that means the download is increased?
    • Map download progress % over Battle.net has returned

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    They have to upload them from the editor the Blizzard for them to be selectable in custom maps. This has its own series of limitations not present with Warcraft III maps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.