• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: Armies Of Azeroth shares its assets with devs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3

ready.png
Hello guys! We are WarCraft: Armies of Azeroth mod developers and our team is happy to announce that we decided to share our assets, which include hundreds of HD WarCraft III models fully remastered with you.

Our mod is supported by Blizzard Entertainment. Moreover, recently it won in the category Best Upcoming according to Editor's Choice in ModDB 2015 Mod of the Year contest.

badges_0003_modsliver-copy-2.png.160x120r.png

In order to get a full access to our mod files, you should be able to work with Galaxy Editor, especially with triggers and interface. After you prove your skill to us, we are ready to share our mods with you, however, with some conditions.

We especially encourage those, who are planning to recreate the most played maps of WarCraft III on the basis of our mod.

The maps include:

Enfo's Team Survival
Footman Frenzy
Desert Strike (WarCraft based remake)

Also developers of any sort of tower defence, hero defence and AoS genres are encouraged to apply.

Do not hesitate to contact us via PM or EMail!

Email: [email protected]

Level 27
Thanks, that's very generous of you guys!
In order to get a full access to our mod files, you should be able to work with Galaxy Editor, especially with triggers and interface. After you prove your skill to us, we are ready to share our mods with you, however, with some conditions.
So, how does it work exactly? Does anyone get access to the melee race and prop assets, kinda like how Blizz shared WC3 assets for SC2, but you need to provide your own created maps or create a new one for skill demonstration for data and custom triggers?

I wouldn't mind getting access to this, but thing is I am one of those people who multitask a lot so I don't even know if giving access to me will be worth the effort considering how I have so many different projects not including SC2, so dunno if I'll deliver anything proper, plus I never meddled with interface beyond deletion of several unnecessary interface buttons and I always had a preference for working out new elements with data, not trigger editor, so dunno if I'm a very fit candidate. Still, I'm too curious to miss out on this.

That may be true, but GE is just stupidly overcomplicated. It didn't have to be this way to still support all the stuff it does, for all I care it could have been pretty much a slight redesign of the WE and it would work just as fine.
It's fine and not "stupidly" overcomplicated, it just lacks any proper documentation and tooltips so it takes a while to figure out how some things work. It took me ages to figure out how to handle actor events but, wow, the possibilities are great, I feel like everyone's just scratching the surface with what can possibly be done with this!

Last edited:
Level 21
Damn it would love to jump in but I still haven't gotten starcraft II
Still,thanks for sharing your assets,and good luck

Oh wow, impressive ! How Warcraft4 would have looked if it came out in 2010 ^^

But I think the ambition to reacreate "Epic Warcraft Maps" to StarcraftII is a bit flimsy considering the fact that the mapmakers won't have the time/the nerves to remake everything again, especially with an editor they don't master; without mentioning all the materials built by the community which are used in those maps.
Perhaps some minigames...
I cannot find who would fit as a target for this sharing; which is a shame considering all the work put into it.

But it could drag some people towards GE I guess (not me : P)

Impressive nonetheless ! Epic job guys !

Last edited:
The picture is a giant font massacre.
Lmao, yeah, looks like a bunch of fonts had a crash, but I guess it grabs your attention :p

Anyway, it's wonderful to hear about you guys using your assets to breath some life into ScII modding, but alas, and I speak for myself, the GE is just... tedious and grossly overcomplicated. Last time I checked, Blizzard added the ability to have wizards automate some of the more laborious processes, so maybe if there are enough of those to make editing easier, then maybe I might consider giving the GE another go. For the fourth time.

At any rate, I hope some interesting stuff comes out of this.

Level 27
Lmao, yeah, looks like a bunch of fonts had a crash, but I guess it grabs your attention :p

Anyway, it's wonderful to hear about you guys using your assets to breath some life into ScII modding, but alas, and I speak for myself, the GE is just... tedious and grossly overcomplicated. Last time I checked, Blizzard added the ability to have wizards automate some of the more laborious processes, so maybe if there are enough of those to make editing easier, then maybe I might consider giving the GE another go. For the fourth time.

At any rate, I hope some interesting stuff comes out of this.
One problem is, they didn't add any wizards themselves, just gave you ability to create them... at least last time I checked I found none. :(

Last edited:
One problem is, they didn't add any wizards themselves, just gave you ability to create them... at least last time I checked I found none. :(
Oh, that's unfortunate. I know some people were trying to create wizards to facilitate unit-creation process, but no idea if that panned out or not. Maybe we need to pester Blizzard for one? :p

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

This looks epic. But SC2 isn't WC3 and as epic as it looks, its deceptive and rude to tell people go make the best maps ... in sc2.

I'd rather support DOTA HQ since it brought actual dota 2 models into warcraft 3 than this.

Just my two cents. Best of luck to whoever feels like doing this

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
But SC2 isn't WC3 and as epic as it looks, its deceptive and rude to tell people go make the best maps ... in sc2.

I'd rather support DOTA HQ since it brought actual dota 2 models into warcraft 3 than this.
... You're absolutely right! It's damn petty of them to release their content to the public, and all around cruel to encourage people to use them to better the StarCraft II scene.

There's no denying that, if they were real wizards, they'd had thought of catering to all other modding scenes out there too so people who don't want to develop stuff in the Galaxy Editor wouldn't be left out.

What a complete rimjob.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

... You're absolutely right! It's damn petty of them to release their content to the public, and all around cruel to encourage people to use them to better the StarCraft II scene.

There's no denying that, if they were real wizards, they'd had thought of catering to all other modding scenes out there too so people who don't want to develop stuff in the Galaxy Editor wouldn't be left out.

What a complete rimjob.

You know what. You're right. It is petty. Petty enough to tell people "Hey kids, you know your favorite maps in your favorite game that you've been playing for the past decade or two? Well screw that. Come and make them into SC2 because its better. But you better not be a noob because noobs can get bent"

Where is this content released actually? Oh that's right. You have to show you have skill otherwise... tough luck.
Oh and its also in starcraft 2. You know that game that is another game and not warcraft 3. Yeah, that one.

Level 27
Jesus Christ you people, I can't believe you actually consider SC2 editor that difficult you just can't stop complaining about it. I mean, heck, how DotA 2 any better than it? Also, ever heard of total co versions? SC2 permits you to execute a greater variety of aesthetics and recreate a whole load of settings, what makes you think you can't recreate a fantasy game in sci-fi one?

Anyways, how do I apply for this access, do I just PM the AoA team?

I don't get the complaining. It's not like you lose anything with that, right?

And while I personally agree it's stupid (because no damn mapper in their right mind who invested years of dedication in his project will actually consider dropping all that for starting a completely new project in a modding scene that is almost as dead as that of the 10 year old Warcraft III), it's their right to not share all these assets in public.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Because EVERYONE prefers WarCraft over StarCraft! You're so right!
We should abandon StarCraft and remove all related to it from this site unless it is for WarCraft!

That sarcasm. Anyway, I never said any of those things.

All I said is that its deceptive in the way its written.

), it's their right to not share all these assets in public.

Absolutely, its their right.

I'm just saying its written in a deceptive and contradictory manner.

You read the huge colored font "WE WILL SHARE NEW ASSETS!"

Then down the line you read "oh yeah, we're not gonna share this with anyone, you must prove yourself first. Also, its for sc2 not warcraft 3".

Level 27
That sarcasm. Anyway, I never said any of those things.

All I said is that its deceptive in the way its written.

Absolutely, its their right.

I'm just saying its deceptively written as you read NEW ASSETS in shiny huge fonts and then down the line
you read "oh yeah, we're not gonna share this with anyone".
They said full access requires proving you're good with triggers and interface, you still get assets like models or whatnot without "full access", that just, I assume, includes custom interface data and triggers for what couldn't be pulled off with data editor.

Level 18

What a complete rimjob.

It depends though this is a very situational release of models not completely open and doesn't belong in the headlines of Hive, it's mislabeled as "releasing" when it's just privately sharing models to make maps to make THEIR mod look better, it's basically hiring modders to their team.

I don't get why it's on the frontpage either.

Level 7
I contracted them as the main developer of Chronicles of Azeroth, the only big Warcraft related project in Sc2 next to Armies of Azeroth and Renee's Wc3 remake and just to make it clear to everyone: They are not giving away their art assets to any Warcraft related projects in starcraft 2 but a few map that can be categorized in this: "tower defense, hero defense and AoS genres are encouraged to apply." It also seem to me that the persons who receive the assets will have some obligations towards them too.

I expected more from this announcement as my project recreated wc1 and wc2 multiplayer in Starcraft 2 with oil resource, naval combat, constant patching etc. Also we are working hard to give people the campaigns too.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
You know what. You're right. It is petty. Petty enough to tell people "Hey kids, you know your favorite maps in your favorite game that you've been playing for the past decade or two? Well screw that. Come and make them into SC2 because its better. But you better not be a noob because noobs can get bent"

Where is this content released actually? Oh that's right. You have to show you have skill otherwise... tough luck.
Oh and its also in starcraft 2. You know that game that is another game and not warcraft 3. Yeah, that one.

I agree with this.
The site is basically 95%+ Wc3, it's more taunting/teasing than helping.

And among those few that use Sc2, too bad you need to be skilled as well.
If you don't want to release it, fuck off, and leave us be.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I think what is going on here is more the fact that the WAA team wants to control the distribution of their assets by ensuring your good intentions for a little while longer until they themselves are further in the project.

I didn't want to reveal it like this, but I don't think it will help keeping this from you. The WAA team has agreed to publish all their resources exclusively on the Hive Workshop when they have completed all four Warcraft races. This announcement is just a controlled step one in that process.

I am sure that if you have a good idea for a map that is actually original, they will give you access none the less.

I contracted them as the main developer of Chronicles of Azeroth, the only big Warcraft related project in Sc2 next to Armies of Azeroth and Renee's Wc3 remake and just to make it clear to everyone: They are not giving away their art assets to any Warcraft related projects in starcraft 2 but a few map that can be categorized in this: "tower defense, hero defense and AoS genres are encouraged to apply." It also seem to me that the persons who receive the assets will have some obligations towards them too.
Great, so if you want to start a project that is too similar to theirs, you won't get the models?

What a dick-move.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Great, so if you want to start a project that is too similar to theirs, you won't get the models?

What a dick-move.

Let's just work with the info we have, mmmkay? I'm sure we'll get more news about it soon. Read Ralle's post:

Ralle said:
I think what is going on here is more the fact that the WAA team wants to control the distribution of their assets by ensuring your good intentions for a little while longer until they themselves are further in the project.

I didn't want to reveal it like this, but I don't think it will help keeping this from you. The WAA team has agreed to publish all their resources exclusively on the Hive Workshop when they have completed all four Warcraft races. This announcement is just a controlled step one in that process.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I expected more from this announcement as my project recreated wc1 and wc2 multiplayer in Starcraft 2 with oil resource, naval combat, constant patching etc. Also we are working hard to give people the campaigns too.

Why are those labels so important to them then? I think they should disclose this and the terms under which they will share assets.
Because as it stands and as many others pointed out, they are just taunting the public with assets they won't share.

I am sure that if you have a good idea for a map that is actually original, they will give you access none the less.

Forced disclosure? This thread is getting more shady as time goes by.
This and the fact the "group" contradicts itself in the thread as well as
the moderators fighting criticism with child sarcasm and petty insults.

Who knows what this is all about. Investments towards hive maybe?

I agree with this.
The site is basically 95%+ Wc3, it's more taunting/teasing than helping.

And among those few that use Sc2, too bad you need to be skilled as well.
If you don't want to release it, fuck off, and leave us be.

Agreed. No disclosure, no logic, deception and confusion.
Looks like politics to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
1) When I wrote my "child" sarcasm, as you put it, I haven't been a mod.
2) Neither you nor anyone else has been insulted by a staff member in this thread.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey guys,

We are pushing more towards getting activity in our SC2 sections. With that, we are looking for affiliates and cooperation in the SC2 sector. We have been extremely lucky to find the biggest SC2 project so far to be interested in working with us. The team at WAoA to be willing to be hosted on the site and to get exclusive rights to all their resources later in the process. I am afraid that the unwarranted extremely negative reception by some of you guys have jeopardized that. A big step toward our goal.

Why are those labels so important to them then? I think they should disclose this and the terms under which they will share assets.
Because as it stands and as many others pointed out, they are just taunting the public with assets they won't share.

Not at all. I see many good reasons not to share their resources with no limits. They don't want competition in their own field (remaking original WC3 in SC2) so it only makes sense not to give a completely similar project access to their resources. This is why they would like people to remake custom WC3 maps. Do you see game companies releasing all their assets before releasing their games? This makes no sense at all. This is why they want to share it, but only to people who share the same goals.

Forced disclosure? This thread is getting more shady as time goes by.

Forced disclosure? No. How about planned disclosure? Posting everything at once hides news threads on the front page, so we like for a few days to pass before posting new things. Also, we are still working on the affiliation details. Stay tuned for that unless they are having second thoughts now...
Who knows what this is all about. Investments towards hive maybe?
Wow, really? Do you think they have that kind of money? Also, what would their gain be? For every truth there is at least 1000 conspiracy theories.

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.