• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 4 Confirmed but not announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Actually they are right. His at Twisted Nether now but he never died. And Eye of the Sargeras is a trinket, no doubt a very powerful one.

Level 12
Who knows, Blizzard might make Warcraft 4 able to be able to transfer games from Warcraft 3...

Won't be able to, like SC2, they will use a new engine and all, so they wouldn't be compatible, unless they make a program for converting

Level 6
It would be better if they just started a whole new story. Leave out all the characters from the previous games and just start fresh with new characters, new story... However, this doesn't mean that they can't reference to past characters as part of Lore. Like I'm sure the Orcs will cherish Thrall and build statues of him when he dies. Overall, I think it would be better to just start off fresh.

I guarantee you that they will make WC4. Just because they make WOW doesn't mean that they're done with RTS games for warcraft. I bet they'll start working on it as soon as they're done with the 3rd starcraft game-referring to the 3rd part of the trilogy; not SC3. WOW will eventually come to an end anyway, and then be replaced by the announced, but confirmed MMO that is a new franchise. See, there is still room for Warcraft 4. Whether it will be a trilogy like SC2 , I don't know, but it will come out. We still have quite a while to enjoy WC3.

Level 21
Won't be able to, like SC2, they will use a new engine and all, so they wouldn't be compatible, unless they make a program for converting

Actually, what's holding them back from just using the SC2 engine? Many games out there share the same engine (e.g. halflife & cs, or any of the infinity engine games), and with features like items & heroes, they already have a powerful warcraft 4 engine at their disposal. IMO they wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel, just add / modify some unit mechanics and maybe some gameplay mechanics. Then add a ton of warcraft models & a campaign.

I would even be surprised if they didn't use the sc2 engine as a basis.

Level 12
At this moment yes, but wc4 won't be out for least half a decade, by then the SC2 engine will look like wc3s

Level 21
I don't think so.
The graphics renderer is quite advanced, and very scalable. Something like that will not have improved in the next 5 years. They use textures for normals, illumination, etcetera. They use techniques such as parallax mapping and deferred lighting. Those make the rendering engine very scalable. With hardware improvements in the next 5 years they will be able to use more polygons and higher resolution on their textures, that will be improving the visual quality. But at this point the renderer itself is pretty much next-gen, and the lighting model is almost as good as it can get. It's not like in warcraft 3 where you can have at most 5 lights on 1 unit, and where they only use diffuse textures. The only way I can see them improve the graphics visibly is by making a real-time raytracer. And the technology for that won't be ready 5 years from now.

Other parts of the engine will probably remain good for the next 10 years. For example the physics engine: physics engines 5 years from now won't be more advanced than the ones we have today.
Another thing is that certain technologies don't age. They use texture splatting. That technique is pretty old, yet the results are really great. The graphics using this technique don't look outdated at all, at the contrary. Games like Crysis and SC2 still use it. In all these cases, it's the resolution of the textures and the polycount of the models that keep the "fresh" and "new" look of the game, not the technique that was used.

I think this engine will be aging a lot slower than many other engines. The models & textures may age, but it seems to me that the technology they've used won't age anywhere as fast as the warcraft 3 engine.

Level 9
If Illidan died in WC3, it would be a good thing. If Arthas died in WC3, it would be an incredible lore.

But they die in WOW, and that's a lore raping. The whole problem is that people with names like Utherium or Ismellpanties can go and kill Illidan, not that he's dead.

If WoW's story is ignored for WC4, I can easily smell demon operations in Tanaris and some slayed Bronze Dragons.

Actually those raiders are called anonymous adventurers.

You guys are so terrible at thinking what the story of Warcraft IV would be. You're directly thinking it would take place after Warcraft III with all the cool characters from the previous games killed in WoW. Blizzard isn't that stupid, y'know. As far as we know, it could take place a long time after WoW, or even a long time before. You need to think outside the box.

WoW is setting up for a 4th war, with Garrosh as the chief.

Level 12
Actually those raiders are called anonymous adventurers.

WoW is setting up for a 4th war, with Garrosh as the chief.

Thats a theory, and would be a good one. After wow kills off last of the evils on Azzy, a peace hits azeroth, maybe thrall dies and Garrosh becomes warchief, then we have a wc2 repeat! =P

Level 12
Yea, thats a rumor, it was apparantly leaked too, if its for next expansion then its best not even think about it, because it would likely change

Level 8
Well I'm not that much looking forward Wc3 anymore. Since SC2 will add a lot variety regarding custom maps etc. I won't be disappointed if Wc4 will come out in 5 years or so. Because I'd like it too look quite different and maybe more advantaged compared to SC2 and Diablo 3. These 2 games look really great in my opinion but yet I'd like to see Wc4 on an even more advanced engine. Especially since we won't get much different from SC2 if it'll be build of the same engine apart from lore and art style. However I dunno what can be done about this referring to Eleandors comment.

Regarding the Lore... yahh, I really have no clue how's the best way of dealing with WoW's "interruption" into the Wc3 story line. I'm personal rather interested what's going to happen with Arthas than walking through the past.
If they want to make it a post-WoW-Cataclysm lore hmmm....
Since I never played WoW I've little knowledge about it. Is there actually a real plot behind e.g. Illidans death? I mean "officially" to whom did he die. Because else Blizzard has to fill a lot gaps story-wise. Else we'll read things like "mighty Illidan who died in an epic battle against "N00b_Elitist12332", "ir_pro", "wow_Killa" ... etc ^.^

Level 12
basically we help kick there ass, then some NPC or event happens and actually finishes them off

Level 5
Lets see...

Wow cataclysm: possibly arriving on chistmas.

Starcraft 2: delayed to 2010, and is plausible to be delayed ...AGAIN to 2011.

Diablo 3: considering SC2, D3 will come at the end of 2010, or middle of 2011

And thats with speculating that Cataclysm will be the last expansion. And thats not even close to reality.
So, lets calculate we have 2 more wow expansions.

Wc4 is not arriving soon, being proably annunced in 2013 or 2012, it will be finished for 2017, if we are lucky enough and blizzard is coherent (that means if they dont keep on releasing Wow expansions out of whats logical)
I think blizzard wants to finish SC2 and D3 quickly so they can work on WC4 without other preocupations...

And about the history. If they dont start out when WC3 finished, i´ll kill someone.

...its just me or wow is blizzard´s cancer ?

Level 12
Lets see...

Wow cataclysm: possibly arriving on chistmas.

Starcraft 2: delayed to 2010, and is plausible to be delayed ...AGAIN to 2011.

Diablo 3: considering SC2, D3 will come at the end of 2010, or middle of 2011

And thats with speculating that Cataclysm will be the last expansion. And thats not even close to reality.
So, lets calculate we have 2 more wow expansions.

Wc4 is not arriving soon, being proably annunced in 2013 or 2012, it will be finished for 2017, if we are lucky enough and blizzard is coherent (that means if they dont keep on releasing Wow expansions out of whats logical)
I think blizzard wants to finish SC2 and D3 quickly so they can work on WC4 without other preocupations...

And about the history. If they dont start out when WC3 finished, i´ll kill someone.

...its just me or wow is blizzard´s cancer ?

Tell me one game they made, that they released a couple months later?

Cata won't be out until like next june-next Christmas(Not upcoming).

And if you read reviews and on Wowwiki, its clear this isn't the last expansion, we at least have 2 more.
Azshara has been hinted and implied to be the main villain after cata

Level 5
Tell me one game they made, that they released a couple months later?

Cata won't be out until like next june-next Christmas(Not upcoming).

And if you read reviews and on Wowwiki, its clear this isn't the last expansion, we at least have 2 more.
Azshara has been hinted and implied to be the main villain after cata

Read my post again, im saying that there´s at least two more expansions and cataclysm being the last isn´t even cose to reality.
You say the same but as if i was saying the opposite.

And i said cataclysm will be POSSIBLY near christmas. Possibly =/= 100 % sure. But yes, its more plausible that it will come out in a year from now on.

Level 12
I know you said possibly, and I was stating, name one blizzard game they announced and released a couple months later.

And I know you said 2 more expansions, I was basically agreeing with you.

Level 12
Wotlk Came out like a year after it was announced, I think longer.

Same concept. Only instead of making entire new areas, they are remaking quite a few areas, adding, etc.

Level 31
listen, this is how i think of it. www.blizzard/thisisDIRECTLYfromblizzard.com" says "Within the freshest Starcraft 2 panel from BlizzCon 2008 Blizzard proclaims, that Starcraft 2 will be expanded into a trilogy. Furthermore Blizzard verifies, that Warcraft 4 will be released with the same principle." then it'll happen. None of that, it ain't happening. I'm not ganna argue because it's true, so if you disagree you can keep to your little fanboy sites.

Level 12
You know, if you read my first post, it says the same thing. And its funny because this is a direct pwn in the face to the many who claimed this would never happen... Its funny being proved wrong. I just won a million bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.