• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Universe vs. World of Warcraft Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi all,

I find the whole "world" of Warcraft, seems to be not at all in sync with what was originally created. Keep in mind, Wc3 was created around the time of Diablo 2, and you can see a lot of the parallelisms with the two worlds.

I found that Warcraft 3 focused on being much more of a sort of...gothic medieval type game, but had more colour than Diablo. It had lots of cheesiness, but it was really a deep moving epic. I'm just thinking back to that world of sitting on the chair on white carpeted upstairs floor, completely oblivious to grades in school or "human" interactions, just simply getting into the world of the Campaign mode and the Online mode!

Now I've found, that World of Warcraft really seems to mess everything up. I don't like any of the art styles, voice acting, and any of the major decisions. I found they ruined the sort of dark gothic feel you get from Warcraft 3, and made it too campy. I love some of the animals, but it just somehow doesn't FEEL like Warcraft 3 or Diablo. You know what they say, the Sound makes a game Look better, and the Visuals make the game Feel better!

What are your thoughts on this?

Level 5
Personally, the Warcraft 3 feels have died when blizzard decided to embark on the quest to make the RPG series, which along the way, have retconned lots of lore and added a lot of content. While some players might like Warcraft for what it is, i personally don't find much interest in the WOW series. as what you mentioned, it's perhaps because of the Warcraft 3 feels being absent, or i didn't dive deep into the WOW series due to my general disinterest in it.

As what you asked, Warcraft 3 or World Of Warcraft? I would go with Warcraft 3, why? because the game was my childhood, the catalyst that pulled me into the fantasy world, and it bears a special place in my heart for it's unique gameplay and memorable characters. Moreover, the editors in Warcraft 3 just expands the diversiry of the game, giving loads of players a chance to express their wonderful creativity in making wonderful custom maps and campaigns such as To The Bitter End, Lord of the clans, Uther's Party and many more!

World Of Warcraft is unique in its own way, but it's a game i never personally like. Well then, i hope no one get's offended by my personal opinion! have a great day/night ahead! :D

Level 28
I don't think many people here would pick WoW over WC3. I understand why they did what they did with WoW. They had to keep creating content. New races, new areas, new storylines. Things were progressing way too quickly. One of the main hindrance is the two faction war. Some alliances (blood elves joining Horde) or class decisions (Thrall allowing warlock magic) were only made for gameplay reasons. there is also that conflict between gameplay and storyline. In WoW you have defeated so many super bosses, and yet, a few quests later you are helping that old lady with the gardening.

Level 5
Personally, the Warcraft 3 feels have died when blizzard decided to embark on the quest to make the RPG series, which along the way, have retconned lots of lore and added a lot of content. While some players might like Warcraft for what it is, i personally don't find much interest in the WOW series. as what you mentioned, it's perhaps because of the Warcraft 3 feels being absent, or i didn't dive deep into the WOW series due to my general disinterest in it.

As what you asked, Warcraft 3 or World Of Warcraft? I would go with Warcraft 3, why? because the game was my childhood, the catalyst that pulled me into the fantasy world, and it bears a special place in my heart for it's unique gameplay and memorable characters. Moreover, the editors in Warcraft 3 just expands the diversiry of the game, giving loads of players a chance to express their wonderful creativity in making wonderful custom maps and campaigns such as To The Bitter End, Lord of the clans, Uther's Party and many more!

World Of Warcraft is unique in its own way, but it's a game i never personally like. Well then, i hope no one get's offended by my personal opinion! have a great day/night ahead! :D

Oh man yeah....Uther Party.

It'd be cool to merge every custom map ever created into the whole Warcraft 3 Universe!!! :p.

But yeah, often times different staff members leave and come; you never really know if it's the same people who made the RTS games.

Level 1
The only joy I can sustain from the Frozen Throne of Warcraft 3 is its freedom to create anything new freely [albeit with limitations].

RPG series custom maps are the reason why I can keep playing.

Level 5
MMO was always a terrible platform to convey a story. It's inevitable that whatever lore they'd want to include would have to take a backseat role to not conflict with game mechanics and the unending toil to keep their monthly subscribers happy and paying.

Well I thought it'd be cool if they had dynamic NPCs, like actual OTHER Heroes out there journeying in the land that you can talk to, chat with, and help in their quest. Not in the cheesey way like "Click this button to help them on their Quest", but like you just see them fighting some Orcs and you can ride by on your Horse and help em out! Then ask them what was going on, and such.

This way, the Story can actually play itself out! You can have a Story that allows everyone to take part, where you can actually see the real Maeiv Shadowsong or Illidan or something taking their path in life, and you can tag along with them! Depends if they let you. The whole problem is Instances, when you make MANY instances of ONE Hero, like 50 Illidans all at once respawning in a Dungeon, it tends to lose the "story" feel. But just make ONE Illidan that roams the land; you're either lucky to see him and fight with him, or you're unlucky.

It's like a Pokemon ORPG that would have only ONE of each Legendary Pokemon, with possible Breeding Factories positioned into the Story properly so that there's an Anime-tradition type dressup for why others can get their own Mewtwo.

P.S. And anyone miss, that we were actually supposed to be creating the Stories OURSELVES? That's WHY it's a Role Playing Game, dating back to the Tabletop Era of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.