• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Terraining Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that, just been busy with things lately. Thanks for filling in, Footman.

Remember though, class, blizzard style terrain is a whole different type of terrain! You'll be using his techniques in his class and my techniques in my class; they're different styles that look good on their own, but if you mix them together it will be like putting ice cream in spaghetti.

What I'm saying is don't mix the two different cliff methods. What you learn about tilesets from him will be applicable to both terrain styles, though.

Level 34
Sorry to go way back, but...

I don't know how you feel about outside inputs, but can I just say that I completely disagree about using either the plateau, the smooth or the noise tool. I know my generation of terrainers avoided it like the plague because you have little to no control over it.

IMO if you really want good results you'll have to do them by hand and be the man in manually.
I actually used the plateau and smooth tool frequently when making mountain ranges. It's a lot faster imo, and can produce similar, if not as good an effect. You MUST go over your work with smaller brushes, but it still saves time. I think.

The noise button should be removed from the editor.

I have completed the lesson two about mountain, map is attached to my post.

agree, since it's as ugly as fuck

This is lesson one, there is no lesson two yet.

Keep working on your mountains, read my previous comments about them which still apply and watch the video to see how you could improve them.

I'll VM you as well as answer here, because it's important that everyone know:

You cannot skip an assignment. If you miss one, you have to do that one before you move on to the next.

If you already know the assignment well enough that you think you'd be able to skip it, then doing the assignment should be quick to make up (I spent 10 minutes terraining for each video). If the assignment can't be made up quickly before moving on to the next, clearly you especially need to do the assignment to lean from it.

Level 14
Hello everyone! Just a quick note. As I got unplaned new work to do at my real job I will be unavailable for as much as the end of the summer or even more. That is why my lessons (along with canceling the judging on the past mapping contest:farming) will be delayed for quite a long period. I hope everyone will be still alive and kickin' when I return.

p.s. This might happen faster if my lazy-ass boss decided to find a replacement for one of my colleagues who quit and I take his responsibilities now.

Sorry that I haven't made your next video. My dad's been taking a lot of days off and I can't record a tutorial for you when he's here because he always hears me talking and tries to talk to me, then gets really offended when I ask him to stop so I can make a tutorial, so I just have to wait till a day when he's at work so that I can record me talking for a tutorial.

Level 4
46723_662077930487325_1987796356_n.jpg
y assignment :)

This is not the assignment. You're trying too hard to brag. I hate to break it to you, but you haven't even demonstrated skilled terraining in that picture, you just used good-looking imports.

The assignment was to create mountains with the height tool, and it looks like, except for the water and the abstract foggy shapes in the background, your whole terrain is flat.

Last edited:
Level 14
This is not the assignment. You're trying too hard to brag. I hate to break it to you, but you haven't even demonstrated skilled terraining in that picture, you just used good-looking imports.

The assignment was to create mountains with the height tool, and it looks like, except for the water, your whole terrain is flat.

Check out the back, yo.
Anyways, aside from apparently not following the predetermined bull that your teacher wanted you to do, this is quite nice. However, room for improvement lies in covering up the ugly transition between your regular grass tiles and your reflection tile. You can create an easier transition by using really any kind of base filler (i.e. grass, bushes, rocks, small trees, or any combination of those - keep in mind that that space can also be filled with fiddily little doodads like fences and smaller constructions so that the background can still be easily seen.) In other words, you want to maintain a certain level of progression in the overall composition, either where things close to your camera are large and things farther away are small (still want to have an impressive background, but still keep in mind how figures shrink due to distance) or, things close to the camera are small and get larger as the terrain extends (this technique is primarily used for small scenes that do not require a background other than large objects that meld with a thick fog, for example. Trees bundled into a forest, or a grouping of buildings; those kinds of things.)

What this all means for you, is that you want to create a focal point for your terrain and proportion the things in your terrain so that that focal point is expressed in all its detailed or otherwise impressive glory.

As for the general technique, you want to clean things up a bit with just a few simple actions.

The sky can be made much more cohesive with both your fog and your underlying reflection by using two simple doodads. Stormcloud.mdl and Uber_cloud.mdl That shit is a life saver when it comes to making decent looking skies. Try them out and see what you can do.
The reflection transition, as I said, is pretty easy to do by just adding more work into it in the form of MORE doodads. Fill all that in with bushes and grasses and rocks, making sure to add depth and intrigue into it by layering the different doodads in such a way that their shape and color both compliment and contrast with each other.
As for focal pointing, make your forests large on the peripheral of your screenshot and then have them become gradually smaller as they come out of the forest. This technique represents how forests naturally have their new growth on their perimeter - for a settled area, this can also represent how humans interact with nature by cutting trees down and then nature coming back with similar new growth and begin encroaching back onto the land they once had.

Anyways, I ramble like a motherfucker, so you can read all that if you want, but I don't expect you to stay with me through it all.

Good luck and keep at it, you did just fine.

Level 4
Check out the back, yo.

Anyways, aside from apparently not following the predetermined bull that your teacher wanted you to do, this is quite nice. However, room for improvement lies in covering up the ugly transition between your regular grass tiles and your reflection tile. You can create an easier transition by using really any kind of base filler (i.e. grass, bushes, rocks, small trees, or any combination of those - keep in mind that that space can also be filled with fiddily little doodads like fences and smaller constructions so that the background can still be easily seen.) In other words, you want to maintain a certain level of progression in the overall composition, either where things close to your camera are large and things farther away are small (still want to have an impressive background, but still keep in mind how figures shrink due to distance) or, things close to the camera are small and get larger as the terrain extends (this technique is primarily used for small scenes that do not require a background other than large objects that meld with a thick fog, for example. Trees bundled into a forest, or a grouping of buildings; those kinds of things.)

What this all means for you, is that you want to create a focal point for your terrain and proportion the things in your terrain so that that focal point is expressed in all its detailed or otherwise impressive glory.

As for the general technique, you want to clean things up a bit with just a few simple actions.

The sky can be made much more cohesive with both your fog and your underlying reflection by using two simple doodads. Stormcloud.mdl and Uber_cloud.mdl That shit is a life saver when it comes to making decent looking skies. Try them out and see what you can do.
The reflection transition, as I said, is pretty easy to do by just adding more work into it in the form of MORE doodads. Fill all that in with bushes and grasses and rocks, making sure to add depth and intrigue into it by layering the different doodads in such a way that their shape and color both compliment and contrast with each other.
As for focal pointing, make your forests large on the peripheral of your screenshot and then have them become gradually smaller as they come out of the forest. This technique represents how forests naturally have their new growth on their perimeter - for a settled area, this can also represent how humans interact with nature by cutting trees down and then nature coming back with similar new growth and begin encroaching back onto the land they once had.

Anyways, I ramble like a motherfucker, so you can read all that if you want, but I don't expect you to stay with me through it all.

Good luck and keep at it, you did just fine.

tnx :grin: :grin: i was finding where i can found that stormcloud.mdl

My dad's going back to work again which means I'll be able to record more tutorial videos again. I'm really sorry that I couldn't before; he just kept interrupting and trying to talk to me every time he heard me talking with the mic to record. Then he'd ask "are you using the mic" and expect an answer, get angry if he doesn't get one, which makes it impossible to record me talking for the tutorial video.

You can expect a video this week.

I know you guys are probably getting sick of me not coming through, but real life keeps hitting me with one thing after another.

I haven't been able to do anything for the past two weeks because my friend ran into a problem on Ohio, then he decided he would come to here, then he broke down in West Virginia, he called my mom (no, I don't live with her, but we still keep in touch), and she went to pick him up, then she crashed 20 miles from him, then I had to go out to get her and him, then I came back and a storm had destroyed the verizon box outside, the coax, the modem/router inside, and everything connected to them on the network; the xbox and desktop...

I'm really sick of all this crap, and I don't want to let you guys down. I figured I'd make all these videos over the summer while I had nothing to worry about, but then life kept throwing everything it had at me, and I only managed to make two videos... Now my next semester will be starting soon and I probably won't have the time for it.

I will try, I promise you guys, I will try to make you more videos, but don't count on it.

I would really appreciate if some of the other teachers could find the time to teach you guys.

I'm still in this thread, though, and I'll continue checking it to answer questions and such, since I can do that anywhere anytime.

Don't count on getting videos, but I'll try to provide you with them.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

It's good to mention, also, that you should have the option which locks your doodad height on, it's somewhere in the advanced menu. I'll look it up later.

Level 4
Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it. I'm working on my first map and having troubles on terraining. If some of you aren't busy and willing to help i totally appreciate it.

Level 14
It's good to mention, also, that you should have the option which locks your doodad height on, it's somewhere in the advanced menu. I'll look it up later.

Go to Advanced => Reset Fixed Object Heights and uncheck it. This allows you to set the height of a doodad and then move it around without the doodad resetting its default height.

Status
Not open for further replies.