1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah.
    And the harpies too, especially them :\
    In the RoC manual they are, technically and theoretically.
    It's not about a need. It's about how their culture was portrayed and it is being changed.
    It's like changing all paladins to bald to look more like medieval Catholic monks (just saying).

Huge shoulder pads are still a thing.
    They have this obsession with armour on animals (poor gryphon; how it's it gonna fly with that much weight on it?).
    That's more like a Flying Steam Tank/Engine. Too sci-fi-steampunk.
    Steroid militia/peasants.
    The rest are generally fine.

Blademasters got armour. That kind of kills samurai and ninja culture.
    Far Seer wolf armour is totally ugly. It makes it look like a warlock's wolf. Again, their disturbing obsession with armour on animals. Funny hypocrisy, since China eats dogs and stuff.
    Spirit Walkers look too bestial.
    OK, the icon for the Wind Rider is not fitting. The orc model resembles more the one from the original game than the one in the Reforged icon.
    Generally fine.

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    As for my feelings - I like most of them, even though the departure from the original style is quite significant and...

- Blood Mage looks a bit wimpy - I know he's a mage and a Blood Elf, so he can't really be all that bulky, but in the original game he seemed "bigger", maybe because of the cape being wider.

- Achmage - the horse is cool, but I'm really not sold on the mage... I mean, for an Archmage his robes are very plain and his shoulders look rather low quality.

- Paladin - military haircut... ugh.

- Flying Machine - upon closer inspection, I agree with @deepstrasz that it's a bit too steampunk-y.

The rest of the human units are fine with me. I really like the Dwarves - Mountain King is the best looking hero for me (I agree it's very different from the original - I just like the new look more) and I absolutely love the Rifleman, the Mortar Team and the Gryphon Rider.

- Blademaster - I think that shoulder pad is a bit excessive considering the Blademaster was supposed to be this fast, agile, stealthy warrior and those don't usually carry too much armor.

- Farseer - I'm not a huge fan of his cape. If you zoom in, it looks okay, but from the distance it made me feel like his head was bugged.

Suprisingly, I really like the rest. My favourite hero is the Tauren Chieftan and as for units, I think the Demolisher looks absolutely amazing. The Tauren, Shaman and Witch Doctor are also really great.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm OK with that. In the original most models were bulky because of their disproportions regarding the low poly blocks. Mages aren't supposed to be on steroids.
    Doing like Venombite here, maybe the melee version is more of an ascetic type and Antonidas looks regal?
    Yeah, they should have made him bald instead to be more in theme with Catholicism (monasticism, Light and all; crusader order etc.).

4. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Perhaps, I just wish they made the cape wider so that it would fall from his shoulders a bit...

To me it looks a bit bland and boring

I'd be fine with a simple short hair solution.

---

But overall - there are a couple models that I'm not a huge fan of (mostly heroes), but overall it isn't that bad and I can totally see myself getting used to this new look.

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Remember, "skins" sell.

6. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but you know what - I'd really, really want Blizzard to eventually release some new content and if selling skins makes it worthwhile to do so, I'd be fine with it.

By the way, looking at Wowhead site and Twitter comments, the vast majority is very positive, even going as far as saying that Reforged models look better than World of Warcraft or asking for some of these armor sets to be ported into WoW. This makes me think my theory about us being more critical than the general audience was correct and most "regular" people who pick up Reforged will walk away satisfied with the new look :)

7. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    They were in RoC and thus the manual. RoC and thus the manual have been retconned ten times by now, lol, and only the newest version of the story is in Reforged. TFT already retconns RoC with Illidan's story for example.

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How so? It's a continuation. Yes, indeed Maiev wasn't there when Tyrande got him out and neither right afterwards but they were still under pressure because of the legion invading.
    Anyways, it's a small retcon. It didn't change that much like the Draenei story.

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So this is what Reforged units are going to look like?
    Bah.

10. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
  11. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Exactely what I meant to say. It retconns a story a bit. Then each WoW expansion a bit by bit and now we have a 100% different story for the third time, lol.
    At the end of Illidan's chapter in RoC Illidan becomes a deformed Demon, a monstrosoty of immense power, who is banished by Malfurion. Then suddenly at the beguining of TFT he is normal again (with some horns and wings) and is again on par with Malfurion and Tyrande. Still in the Night Elven lands, and serving Kil'Jaeden. Of course he dies in the end, but he doesn't actually and is alive in TBC, when he dies. Wait he was actually imprisoned by Maiev and is in a 10 000 years old jail, located on the islands that Maiev didn't hear about in TFT. Then Legion retconns the whole TFT story and you get the point....
    Also in TFT there was an elven prince who never fought Arthas when he slaughtered the elves, Sylvanas is an undead general and not a banshee low soldier and etc...
    edit: In RoC one of Jaina's quotes is "I pray my father is safe.", then in TFT, ohh wait he is actually the admiral of the largest fleet in the world. Oh wait he is a de facto king of one of the human kingdoms and Jaina is a de facto princess and her mother, alive and well, a powerful sorceress in WC3 manual is a ruling queen, and doesn't have a clue about magic etc...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, yeah, it's debatable since melee has timed Metamorphosis so possibly, that form was temporary and Furion has seen Illidan before the character turned back. Also, it was something new for Illidan and the character might not have known it would revert? Apologetics here.
    Well, no. That was weird seeing Illidan without demonic taint in the scene talking to Kil'jaeden. Illidan was not without risk going through nelven lands. Besides, the protagonist decided to go rogue once more and this time the character had the naga (a retcon, lol or at least a barging in of lore).
    Or does he? I guess it can be more of a cliff-hanger since if you look closely, it was the right chest getting hit by Frostmourne. But yeah, probably they intended for the character do die there since they loved Arthas more and had to continue somehow more interesting than demonic invasion reiteration.
    About WoW, lore, I try to stay off it as much as I need, which is pretty much 90 if not 99%.
    There was that Archmage. In Reforged it might be that prince? It's an error on their side that they didn't make elven techtrees like they did in StarCraft II with most factions. Or, maybe they wanted to show that some Kirin Tor survivors came to defend Quel'thalas? I've no idea.

13. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    In Reforged it's Anastarian Sunstrider, Kael's father and king of Quel'thalas. The prince that didn't fight Arthas, I meant Kael.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah, yes sorry. Not even in Dalaran. What was he doing, went on a yacht trip?
    Problem is, too many characters would have made it a headache. I agree they could have done much better. They basically locked themselves up with not leaving something out of the Quel'thalas experience but Sylvanas' transformation. They decided to make the elves have a role and left out the humans to Garithos and not to the Scarlet Crusade or whatnot.
    I guess, we'll just have to imagine Kael fought in the war and escaped death or not if we play Reforged?

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  16. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am not sure if I understood correctly, but :
    Kael'Thas went to Quel'Thalas after its destruction. He was at Dalaran when Sylvanas died.
    And when he was there, Arthas was at Dalaran.
    Make sense they don't fought each others.

Btw, they've made an High Elf Archmage' icon and Anasterian' icon. They will certainly be boss at Silvermoon.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol, the undead went through the underground or did Kael teleport each time?

18. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    Doubt those are legit, since it looks like those are in a model editor, whereas all the rest are in-game

19. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yep, it's legit. They would fit the icons and the red dragon we saw months ago. And as I was "afraid" they look an aweful lot like Brightwing from Heroes of the Storm.

20. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unlikely to be legit, but considering the rather... let's say "disturbing look" of other models,
    it is actually possible.