1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A thought on the World Editor. Ideally, it would have two possible configurations: full mode, exposing a set of capabilities similar to the SC2 Editor, and the classic mode, which shows how it currently does.

At the very least, it could allow some basic enhancements that SC2 had in comparison to WC3, such as a button editor tab and individual command card arranging.

P.S. — Of course, I don't need to mention how I'm dying for the possibility of more than 16 ground textures. :cool:

2. starter_e

starter_e

Resources:
    Resources:
    The recent(last Friday) internal briefings at the gaming company I work at show global approx. 55% dominance of mobile market, 19% console and 26% desktop.
    RTS is dead, although it is making a return of sorts in almost all other genres, by mixing some of its specific elements into them.
    If I were Blizzard I would have gone for Free To Play Warcraft 3 Reforged instead of the current 30EUR,with Mobile support, even if more time was needed(interface adjustments specific to the separate mobile version etc. Refocus funds on that, rather than that much on animation, modelling, story and cutscene overhauls. Then the investment would be recuperated by selling some cosmetic stuff and/or blizzard-made additional campaigns, some of their new maps etc. All the while keeping all creator content free as it is now, except if the creator explicitly wants to sell their stuff and even then the content would still be totally free modder-side(Editor+Testing) and only paid-access user-side.
    Imagine maps made specifically for mobile. Imagine going through the magnificent story in the subway on your way to work or sharing it with your children in the car on your way to summer vacation.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think the reaction to Diablo Immortal pretty much summed up how the fanbase feels about mobile games.

4. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Good idea. Textures, models, etc. are easy to update in your map (unless it's a work of art). Fixing the scripts would be a hellish nightmare, if they get rid of some exploits moders have been using for ages (like locust ability, for example).

5. AtheosTG

AtheosTG

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

PC gaming hasn't given way to mobile games. Simply the playerbase base expanded to mobile casuals (many women) that skew the percentage share.

PC gamers are as an absolute number definitely growing. Don't force mobile shit down our throats

6. starter_e

starter_e

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes of course, I`m just trying to understand what is going on from the point of view of blizzard. Why are they doing what they are doing, apart from a desire to preserve(while changing campaign???)
    My personal opinion is desktop all the way everyone playing RTS in pc clubs, that is heaven for me. Unfortunately that is not the real world. So many kids play on mobile. I would want both War3 and the RTS genre to have a renaissance, maybe the wider player base needs more time to mature and look for something more, who knows.

It is like Blizzard is following some old long-term plan(at my company the long term plans include 5-year and 10-year plans, both include games as well as applying to games stuff like natural user interfaces, blockchain, AI etc.) which includes SC Remastered, which was more or less a failure. With Warcraft Reforged, however you have the unique position of having a much larger creative community and a much more versatile editor which can allow you to lengthen player retention and improve player engagement in exactly such long-term scales. So you need to just leave creators alone and remove hardcoded restrictions on their work. However, to pitch the project financially you need to take new technology into account, the thin line being to keep creators free, enabled and exposed to users as you reintroduce the game to newer times. If you make the release a big success you don`t just make money, but the team also gets to work longer on the project they like and not be reassigned to another project, meaning more patches etc.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  7. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The basic game mechanics are not laid out for mobile. Interface adjustments won't cut it. They would have to remodel the whole game. Blizzard makes games for the broad masses but historically not that casual/lightweight.

8. CloudMax

CloudMax

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This truly was a nice surprise. Really looking forward to see how it will bring the community forward. I might even give it another go myself at some point!
    Customizable interface will be a big deal for sure.

And the fact that they said that things such as the possibility of maybe having built-in support for more than 6 item slots (was quickly mentioned during Grubbys stream) gives me even more hope!

9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    University is taking far too much time from me... Otherwise, I too would speed up building my map that's been in the works for at least 8 years. :p

10. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    You are taking more time than Rockstar.. ;)

11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Life of an university student ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    MY WISHLIST FOR WCR?

EDITOR
    • Able to make a maximum size of 2048x2048 map.
    • 1000 food and not 300.
    • Acceptable polycount limit for lesser laggy gameplay when with high-res graphics models and stuff.
    • Make water look realistic and can have bucket of water tool for filling water at any desired places.
    • Customizeable water direction or animation.
    • Compile spells and triggers into an archive like data to minimize loading time of map by 40-60%. Suitable for people who has over 200 triggers.
    • Advanced and super intelligent GUI AI Editor that matches making one through JASS coding.
    • Customizeable and free hand movement tools for unit movement and patrol.
    GAMEPLAY
    • Instead of 4x3 max buttons. Why not make it expandable and customizeable up to 6x4 for players or modders with more than 12 buttons (minus cancel and rally point.)
    • First-person view command.
    • More unit formation types other than 'triangular' and 'scattered'.
    • Customize if game could allow player to choose more than 12 or max. of 24 or 36 units.
    • Maybe 24 players with new team colors like Ash Gray, Neon Green, Crystal Blue, Dirty White, Custard Cheese, Lime, Dark Red, Light Pink, and etc...
    • Show Mana Bar.
    • Customizeable music to choose just like CS:GO has.
    :) Can't think for more ideas for now.

13. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    ;)

14. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i am glad that this happenig and while i have spme reservations to new art style, it looks good enough

my only worry is that there wont be enough customs assest to match the model quality ,so in every custom campaign every human hero hero will loo k either like uther, arthas or fooman with hero glow

15. Wadjet

Wadjet

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Can't you bypass this by holding shift+enter in the gameplay constants?

16. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wondering if they can revamp the engine so it can handle higher unit and doodad counts more efficiently.

Since they are redoing the campaign, Garithos, Daelin Proudmoore and Jaina Proudmoore will also receive the new artstyle. And maybe we'll even get a unique look for bandit heroes, archmages, etc.

17. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You'll be able to switch to the old art style at will, so that should take care of any compatibility issues between the remaster and old custom assets. This way people can just play Reforged with SD graphics for most custom maps/campaigns and HD for the few maps that have high quality assets. I think this is a really smart move from Blizzard, especially if the SD version still has upgraded graphics, like improved shaders, lighting and shadows. It'll make the SD version look much better than classic even without the HD models.

18. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Food cap is now at 900, FYI.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No it won't. It belongs to Valve now.
    Frankly. It's all I'm interested in. I can't care less about their retcons.
    Sea Elementals?
    Hell no. Microtransactions would've killed it.
    Are you sure the shadows and lightening will apply to the classic game or you meant the classic models on Reforged?

20. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I am talking about the SD (this is what Blizzard is calling it, standard definition) models in Reforged. This version should basically look and play exactly like classic, just better because of the upgrades to the engine. The classic game will probably not have these graphical tweaks.