1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. yxq1122

yxq1122

Resources:
    Resources:
    A new feature I appreciate is the ability to customize the user-interface (UI) in the world editor.

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think they've said in one of their interviews that this is going to be possible. To what extent, I have no idea.

Edit: I remembered right. Here's the quote:
    Source: MMO-Champion - Inside Warcraft III: Reforged Panel Recap

3. yxq1122

yxq1122

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess the normal UI window can be partially deleted and repositioned. Customized UI using player-made blps or models may be allowed.

4. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    For those interested, I just opened a new thread to provide feedback about graphics, artstyle and UI, as Blizzard said they want to discuss a lot with the community: Warcraft III: Reforged - Community feedback (graphics, design, UI)
    Feel free to reply with your impressions so we can have a constructive debate and provide quality feedback.
    Maybe we can also start other threads to give feedback about other topics: campaigns, gameplay, lore retcons, World Editor changes, concerns about custom models...
    This will be easier to have constructive debates about specific ideas if all main topics are gathered each in their own thread :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  5. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Holy. Shit.

6. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Cannot wait for the Culling mission and the nigh elf campaign. ^^

StrathCulling.png

7. Hemlock

Hemlock

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great job blizz, it looks great so far. Great to see love is being given to this legend of a game and its communities in the process! Can't wait to get my hands on this!

8. aider

aider

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here is the WC3R developer panel from Blizzcon hosted by Grubby to calm you down
    They seem genuine and passionate and they are asking for feedback on bit.ly/reforged

Notes from panel:
    • Classic games was started to preserve these iconic Blizzard games.
    • It was a natural progression to move to Warcraft III after their work on Starcraft.
    • It was hard to keep the remaster under wraps because of the updates that were happening to the original game.
    • It is not unfair to say that the art of the original game does not hold up as well as the gameplay has. This is why the graphics are getting updated.
    • They originally went with a more cartoony look for the new graphics, but it seemed too much like a lot of other games.
    • The team looked to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic as a base for what orcs and humans should look like in Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • The same engine is being used for Warcraft III: Reforged as the original game with some minor tweaks.
    • The tools used to create the new art will also be available to the community with the world editor.
    • The community is what has primarily kept this game alive and the team wants to give back for that.
    • The team has learned a lot of lessons from other RTS games they have made and can use these lessons in Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • The team wants the locations you know from World of Warcraft to be better showcased and look more like they do in WoW for this remaster.
    • The team has been trying to roll out a lot of quality of life improvements for the current game to prepare for the remaster. This includes patching and lag issues.
    • The team wanted to get rid of limitations that no longer pose an issue in modern gaming.
    • Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!
    • Warcraft III: Reforged will be added to the Battle.net Launcher.
    • At the end of the day, this is an evolution of Warcraft III. The graphics that you see are actually being added on top of the existing engine.
    • World of Warcraft's engine is based off of Warcraft III. The team took the changes and lessons that WoW has had with its engine and incorporated it into Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • All of the animations and attack swings are from the original engine.
    • The team doesn't want to break apart the original community and so are trying to keep the game anchored to the original.
    • The team can add a lot more personality to the game with new infrastructure as long as the core gameplay stays the same.
    • The artists are slightly constrained by the old game's animations.
    • All of the maps created over the years on the original game need to be able to load up in Warcraft III: Reforged with the new art assets.
    • The team wanted to lift up the lesser used heroes to reach the power of ones like the Demon Hunter.
    • The team has communicated with competitive players all over to address the changes that have been made to the game.
    • The team wants to continue to communicate with the community to build the game in a way that pleases players.
    • They have taken modern gaming steps to get the game released faster.
    • They have partnered and hired people from the community to make sure the game stays true to the original.
    • The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past.
    • The team wants to have as many created maps to work with the new editor from day 1 of release.
    • If maps take advantage of bugs or are broken they will be addressed.
    • They will release the tools that they use and guides on how to use them.
    • The original graphics and audio will still be available and can be used on command if you desire.
    • The original SD models and textures will also look much better.
    • There will be functionality to merge your current account into Battle.net to keep your win records and achievements.
    • The team doesn't want to tell you how to play the game. This is your game!
    • The team wants to improve the join functionality. There is a possibility you will be able to que as a group of 2 and matched with 2 strangers for a 4 v 4.
    • The focus right now is getting the existing game right, but there is potential for new stories and campaigns in the future.
    • They moved Arthas's entrance to the Culling of Stratholme to the southern entrance to showcase the familiarity to the WoW dungeon version from Wrath of the Lich King.
    • The community needs to work together to teach new players about the game.

9. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm really hyped (creator of Lords of Europe here, retired for 10 years and now game designer in an Indie studio).

I think I quite agree with the complaints about the new art style being too "noisy" in terms of details but I think I just don't care: I'm too eager to open up the editor and start placing all of the elements one by one.

And the new editor! Wow! It's going to be awesome.

I might even start map making some stuff with an old partner of mine.

Wow!

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Amagad @BlinkBoy @Hemlock you've returned! :goblin_jawdrop: I can barely keep myself together with the shivers. If only to see you guys and so many people return, this was worth it. :p The goosebumps are killing me!

11. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Except that Warcraft 3 orcs and humans are not meant to look like WoW cinematic ones at all.....there was gigantic difference in style of orcs between wc3 and WoW. From mostly normally muscled barbarians without excesdive tusks and size it went to Hulks. Warcraft iii's artsryle was cartoony texture wise....is meant to look like its drawn and matte ingame both for style which made it far better looking despite mesh blockiness at times and for unit recognition which was also helped by very well made and defined animations. Which got replaced by terrible animation sets now....units dont have same stances at idle even... Grubby even said that its hard for him to tell where the footmen are during the fight. Animations are cartoonishly laughable especially on Arthas in culling demo....plus he and uther look like they are from Final Fantasy..
    Cinematics were realistic and life like and ingame cartoony and it was always meant to be that way....WoW has it the same way....

This is disrespectful to original in so many ways with retcons and complete replacement of the artstyle that it has no right to be Wc3 by the name........Make it without the III in the title...and expand on it....make it its own thing which even more changes and retcon the shit out if it...it will be ok that way.......and leave Warcraft III intact and separate. Cross play is not needed. Both games will have their fan bases......it will split the community either way......so make it split in reality aswell it will make everyone happy and blizz still will earn as much money and would be free to do much more with it.

Yoimu can have "a remaster but more". You dont honour the game....you remake it with drastic and disrepsectful revisionist changes(towards original dev team) to lure in people who never played or cared for original Wc3 by changing what this game is......and setup ways to extort even more money with predatory practices....inject corpse of this old and beloved gsme that you butchered with microtransactions for skins and more as you already planned....

Have guts to either to remaster WC3 in respectful way of it....without ''fixing'' it....with retcons of all kinds or to leave it alone in updated state with features we wanted included but with game intact as it is and was intended by original developers in every other aspect visually, storywise etc. And make Warcraft Reforged its own game based of it...a spin-off that 'Reimagines' original stories and events and gameplay. If you dont do it and continue to butcher wc3 you will prove that you are nothing but another soulless pawn of Activision...

...From company that i once loved....despite some things done further down the line that i may no have agreed with fully making me hate or love it always in some way pasionately following and caring.....you became one that i am out of love for........feeling nothing towards it.....
    I still care about Warcraft III and its future and i would rather for it to become a niche than to be butchered without any respect or integrity by soulless cashgrab planned by people in white collars in higher ups....

12. Iliya

Iliya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey man, Really love that map.

Do you reckon huge Strategy Maps will be possible on reforged. Do you reckon the engine will have performance issues with those big maps or nah?

13. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  14. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
  15. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Heinvers :grin:
    I'd say it's safe to assume they'll change the maps if they want to make it more like WoW^^

16. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Not that I have much expectations but more of a curiosity.

17. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Man you're such a killjoy grumpy old geezer. lol

18. starter_e

starter_e

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hope list:
    - skybox improvements
    - normal night day cycle
    - origin point of objects not making them disappear when point is outside camera
    - make mutiple level terraining easier
    - garbage collection (smart pointers :D)
    - dynamic water surface as in Frozen Throne menu screen

19. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Agreed, what Blizzard has done is what most of people wanted,try to be happy you'll have your uncompressed wc3 textures too(which are outdated as hell)

Edit: Also I'm not a 'Bliizard fan boy' or something I like what they are doing so far, the one thing that is a must is being loyal to old concepts not the style example if they just include broken draeneis and left out lost ones(original's) I'll say this is a bad move , or if they change concepts like old Gul'dan to new etc without making old one ready , yes I don't like ghouls I hope they'll make it more like old, I hope they'll add tail to Druglord and so but as long as they include models from old concepts they can include all the retcons too it will just be more epic

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You can't please everyone I guess. I think it looks great. The art style might be a bit different, but that's to be expected when talking about a remaster. I really don't see what's disrespectful about it. It's a huge sign of respect that they're even doing this, to begin with. According to the panel you even have the option to switch to the old models, which makes your whole complaint meaningless. Finally, it's not like this is replacing the original. You still have the option of playing that if you dislike the remaster that much. Honestly, I find this attitude a bit entitled.