• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged ~ Your culture isn't relevant says Golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Might want to give this a read personally to me I'm actually pissed off seeing Golden say your 90s culture from a 2002 game has no relevance in 2018 in a REMAKE.

Below is just one quote of many that should concern people who actually care.

Apparently Classic Team may infact be tone deaf like all the other Blizzard teams. This concerns me.

How Blizzard Is Updating Warcraft III’s Fiction For Reforged

With that in mind, how are you updating unit barks?
Groot: We’re looking at how to adjust some lines and add new lines that take into account some of the new lore that’s come in. Some of them are almost Easter eggs.

Golden: Some of the jokes are very old. Sometimes they’re like a riff on an old commercial that everybody got back then but wouldn’t make any sense anymore.

Groot: There are references to very old songs. There are references to I Love Lucy. There are references to dial-up modems, Star 69, and all those old telephone things.

Golden: We’re trying to find the ones that will really bump people out of the game, and the stuff that really doesn’t land anymore. My particular favorite is, “Me not that kind of Orc.” It reads differently today, but it’s really funny, because he’s a big green Orc. It still lands. It’s still funny. Maybe we wouldn’t have written that now, but that is something that people get even now.

Level 32
You can use the old voices that they haven't changed besides improving their sound quality. It makes sense to do things to help capture a new audience, or reinvigorate the ones that have moved on to WoW or other games, while also allowing the current playerbase the option to keep the old voices if they want. That's pretty much a win-win for both sides.

Level 11
However concerned I may be about some visual changes and lore retcons, these removed jokes are not a real issue. I don't know what most people do when they play the game, but I don't multiple-click units to hear the jokes every time I play, so this wouldn't affect much my gaming experience (I think I did it 2 or 3 times in 16 years...). But anyway, StopCampingN00b is right, we will be able to to switch between old and new audio, so there is no problem.
I'm more worried about the retcons and WoW lore being artificially brought into the game, which will make the game feel like a new one (and it's worse for those of us who don't like WoW) and not the one we have all been enjoying for all these years.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm more worried about the retcons and WoW lore being artificially brought into the game, which will make the game feel like a new one (and it's worse for those of us who don't like WoW) and not the one we have all been enjoying for all these years.
This is the most important one (the WoWification). Usually the rest are OCD rants.

Level 10
Culture thing does not bother me. What sucks is them changing WC story to fit the shitty WoW lore. I understand that they want to lure in WoW players, but still I wish they didn't do it. For example Muradin surviving the events in Northrend is just straight up bullcrap. It takes away all the weight of what happened in the cave.

Level 14
Indeed. That's one of the iconic retcons.

nothing has to change with muradin in WC3

He got he straight up got KOd instead of dead. He then had amnesia and was thought dead by his brothers and everyone in Alliance until WotLK.

Thus it changes absolutely 0 and shouldn't even be reflected. The campaign is from Arthas perspective not Muradin

The only major retcon is Illidan seeking to KILL tichondrius when everything was retconned in Legion because back in WoTA illidan learned Demons were immortal when Sargeras burned his eyes out.

Broken should raise an eyebrow to illidan far more in Outland TFT because of the Retcon that they are the same race and resemble the Eredar.

End cinematic with magtheridon will probably show Kael/ Vashj and Illidan Chaining and binding him instead of "slaughtering" him.

Battle for Mount hyjal will get a 4th hero accompanying Archimonde in the Campaign Guaranteed since Kaz'Rogal the Doom Lord was created and featured in BfMH Raid and HFCffv

I imagine they will find a way to incorporate Blood Queen Lanathil as an antagonist on a Map in Arthas campaign in Ice Crown or the raising of any San'Lynn which would go on to become Arthas Supreme commanders after Kel'Thuzad.

We know they are going to WoWify and essentially make a completely new game with additional story points. So fitting people in where the make sense and aren't forced wouldn't be too bad. Better than missions where you have a random name hero in the enemy base.

Ajar the Summoner (Lich) will more than likely become a canon enemy in Scourge of Lordaeron Campaign somewhere. quite possibly (March of the Scourge)

Last edited:

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
As long as they update it and keep it on a similar level to how HOTS heroes are voiced and have new lines that are both an homage and an update, I'm fine with that. As long as old voices are an option, it's fine.

As for the campaign, it's wait and see. It always sounds better in my head when I think about updates to lore than it does when I see someone else say it.

Level 12
nothing has to change with muradin in WC3

He got he straight up got KOd instead of dead. He then had amnesia and was thought dead by his brothers and everyone in Alliance until WotLK.

Thus it changes absolutely 0 and shouldn't even be reflected. The campaign is from Arthas perspective not Muradin

The only major retcon is Illidan seeking to KILL tichondrius when everything was retconned in Legion because back in WoTA illidan learned Demons were immortal when Sargeras burned his eyes out.

Broken should raise an eyebrow to illidan far more in Outland TFT because of the Retcon that they are the same race and resemble the Eredar.

End cinematic with magtheridon will probably show Kael/ Vashj and Illidan Chaining and binding him instead of "slaughtering" him.

Battle for Mount hyjal will get a 4th hero accompanying Archimonde in the Campaign Guaranteed since Kaz'Rogal the Doom Lord was created and featured in BfMH Raid and HFCffv

I imagine they will find a way to incorporate Blood Queen Lanathil as an antagonist on a Map in Arthas campaign in Ice Crown or the raising of any San'Lynn which would go on to become Arthas Supreme commanders after Kel'Thuzad.

We know they are going to WoWify and essentially make a completely new game with additional story points. So fitting people in where the make sense and aren't forced wouldn't be too bad. Better than missions where you have a random name hero in the enemy base.

Ajar the Summoner (Lich) will more than likely become a canon enemy in Scourge of Lordaeron Campaign somewhere. quite possibly (March of the Scourge)
If Muradin is dead then Illidan also should be dead.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If Muradin is dead then Illidan also should be dead.
Not really and I'll give you a reason why. If you look closely, Arthas stabs Illidan in the right side of his chest and leaves him there. Sure, it kind of looks like he's dying/dead with the way he stand still at the end but storywise it would make sense for Illidan not to die since he is a powerful creature. However, Muradin's death has much more meaning.

Level 10
Not really and I'll give you a reason why. If you look closely, Arthas stabs Illidan in the right side of his chest and leaves him there. Sure, it kind of looks like he's dying/dead with the way he stand still at the end but storywise it would make sense for Illidan not to die since he is a powerful creature. However, Muradin's death has much more meaning.

That is a pretty weak reason. At the end of TFT everyone and their mother thought that Illidan is dead. He lays there with his chest split open and Arthas has never shown any mercy previously.

Level 12
That is a pretty weak reason. At the end of TFT everyone and their mother thought that Illidan is dead. He lays there with his chest split open and Arthas has never shown any mercy previously.
Also when I first played Wc3 I thought that Muradin was killed by Frostmourne. Not by Arthas.
The ice just exploded? and killed him.

Also I was 100% sure that Arthas killed Illidan.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I was about to reply but then I realized we are going off topic.
an any mod move those posts to this thread: Warcraft 3 Reforged - Plot ?
It's not off-topic at all...
It's still a reason. And, it's not about mercy but that Ner'zhul was so heated up that he couldn't wait more to get a body :p
The ice just exploded? and killed him.
That's what we're talking about...

Level 18
As much as I dislike changes in lore. I disagree that changes to Wc3 Reforged will be a bad thing. If anything it will unify the lore a bit more across all the games. As for them removing old jokes... it makes sense.
I am just pumped to get back into modding wc3 again!

Reactions: Rui
Level 10
Muradin is implied to have died, but Illidan was more ambiguous since he could have survived that and Arthas didnt do what he did to Sylvanas to Illidan.

This way, unless someone is chopped to small pieces or burnt to dust you can never be sure that they are actually dead and won't come back as soon as the writers run out of ideas. It renders dying of any character pointless.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
This way, unless someone is chopped to small pieces or burnt to dust you can never be sure that they are actually dead and won't come back as soon as the writers run out of ideas. It renders dying of any character pointless.

Tbh, dying has never been finite esp with Warlords of Draenor introducing alternate realities and everlasting demon souls in the nether. WoW lore is like playdough.

Status
Not open for further replies.