1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged Blizzcon Recap

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Are you seriously trying to apply realism or logic to Warcraft?

2. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Either that or at least make it look cool. This doesn't look cool, they look like they're coming back from a pool-side barbecue party and Deatharoc is the dark master of sloppy joes (some exotic sunglasses would be a great addition to them).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Only comment I have on Detheroc: He looks like Traggey's avatar....

4. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Let's see the end of December if Warcraft Reforged is as epic as promised.

5. -Manuel-

-Manuel-

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    World Editor tomorrow? ohhhhh yeah

This is getting better and better, idk why people is hating on blizz, but nevermid.

6. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great, can we also bring back the ports and the harbor and the oil refineries?

I mean, as much as I despise post-MoP WoW, we can't just delude ourselves into saying it is non-canon because of their disgusting retcons unless they say that 15 years of lore development is cancelled and let's go back to WoW Classic. Also, WC3 retconned many stuff from WC2, are we going to say WC3 is non-canon as well?

7. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I got the editor:
    [​IMG]
    [/spoilers]

8. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks promising, hopefully the gameplay constants allows us to increase max unit selection for custom games

9. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes it looks very promising, it is Unity 2020 game engine lol (not Warcraft).

10. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is pretty normal for a Warcraft III player to ignore WoW lore, just think it as an alternate universe where bad writers are in charge. If someone was a hardcore WC2 fan they should even ignore WC III but I think majority will always be WC III lovers.

And here is the important thing, I'lld never ask for Warcraft III 'retcons' to be added to a Warcraft II remaster, why would I want to ruin peoples game, WoW players should think like that and understand why Warcraft III should be left alone as it is. None of us here joins WoW releated forums and cries for WC3 to retcon WoW but WoW kiddos just come and cry for WoW retcons to be basically in every game in every platform.

11. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't mind Detheroc being fat, I actually love it because it brings variance! What I dislike is how all Dreadlords chests are showing (pecks and abs), like that there is lack of variance. :(

12. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Two short questions, just out of curiosity. Should hardcore RoC fans ignore TFT? Should TFT retcons not be added to a RoC remaster? As it looks now, they probably won't be, but I'm just curious.

13. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    First of all, don't move goalposts. You said "warcraft is warcraft" which means if we like the original we should like the new version... why? Simply because copyright holders said this is part of the same franchise? Because current Blizzard are nothing more than that at this point. They didn't create Warcraft we love. Pretty much all people instrumental in creation of Warcraft left the company at this point. They are just a bunch of completely different people who happen to have legal rights to the franchise, unfortunately.
    Maybe its just me, but LEGAL ties don't elicit the sense of enjoyment and continuity from me. Current WoW is not Warcraft in same sense RTS games were Warcraft

Second, just because it is canon for legal reasons, doesn't mean it should matter to fans. We don't have to accept it, we're not wiki staff or something like that. Especially in such a case, where only thing tying old and new lore together is trademark. It is one thing when writer reveals some new facts about what he wrote, its another when bunch of people who just happen to own franchise without having made it start spewing bullshit to sell more stuff.
    In any franchise where writers change it is very common to disregard newer "canon" and stick to what was canon at a certain time. Dune fans usually disregard's Herbert's son's novels, Warhammer Fantasy fans pretend End Times and Age of Sigmar are just one of possible futures if they are being lenient, Highlander fans obviously deny second movie even exists, many Star Wars fans stick to first 6 films and so on. That is understandable, and this is fans' moral, ethical and logical right. This is not a legal situation, we're not forced to bow to trademark and praise the copyright holders. Its not even the case as is with Harry Potter universe, where same writer just starts crapping on her own setting, causing a division in fans, its a bunch of entirely different writers lead by entirely different management.

Also no, there aren't nearly that many retcons between II and III. Sure, what Blizzard did to world map is atrocious (have you ever tried matching Warcraft I, II and III maps together? They don't match! At all!), but they are more or less consistent. But if you compare modern WoW lore to Warcraft II/III lore, the only reason they are not two separate settings is because coasting on recognizable brand name brings moneys.

tl;dr It is only Warcraft for legal reasons which don't matter outside legal situations. And it has zero bearing on what we should enjoy or accept, let alone welcome.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reforged will probably mean any updates coming to classic as well but to the classic under Reforged.
    Anasterian will probably be the Silvermoon campaign map Archmage, so no, these "skins" are only for Reforged.
    It might just be parts of the map, not everything.
    Cut? Didn't they actually add something back then? Or is my memory faulty?
    A no model unit :D?
    That's their way of reimagined in the end.
    Much less than any WoW game. Retcons between the RTS Warcraft games are more of added material than retcons.

15. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    I see, I stand corrected. It just really irks me on how people like to shit on WoW (I also shit on WoW but for legitimate reasons like the huge retcons like Vault of the Wardens and Derek Proudmoore, and destroying potential characters like Kael'thas and spitting out totally new races each expansion) and say that WC3 is perfect while at the same time claim WoW is non-canon while also ignoring the fact that WC3 reconned stuff from WC2

There's the High Elf Archmage in the leaked models

I'll be the cowardly fence sitter here but the point is, I just wish people would be more consistent on their beliefs

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, then, will the character appear in the map's intro scene and not during gameplay?

17. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Grubby said that the Stratholme map had like 70% of the old dialogue cut, because it didn't fit with locations. I'm inclined to believe it, seeing as how a part of the introduction cutscene was missing in the Stratholme demo (i.e. the part when Arthas thanks Uther for coming).

Anyway, now that they've went back to the old cinematic mode, they're readding all of the old dialogue that was previously cut. And that's good, because if their original intent was to cut a bunch of the original dialogue and then add some new stuff, it looks like they weren't "expanding" on the classic story (which is what I wanted), but replacing some parts of it (which I absolutely didn't want).

So, if I'm to choose between the original story with little to no additions or some changed story, I'll take the former every day.

18. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Even though TFT has got no retcons to RoC's story there is an hardcore playerbase of RoC that are pissed because their ladder is taken away which kinda explains how they'lld feel. Yes if it was a RoC remaster I'lld ask for RoC to stay the same

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Definitely. Most of the interpurists hoped for bonus content, not retcons or mere graphics change.

20. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Apparently according to the novels, Thalorien was at the Quel'danas Isle entrance, and Anasterian made his last stand by the Sunwell itself

That High Elf Archmage may probably just be inside the city proper.