1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged Prologue Campaign

Submitted by InsaneMonster
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
[​IMG]
Welcome to Warcraft III Re-Refoged (RR) Prologue Campaign!

Re-experience the prologue campaign of Warcraft III, Exodus of the Horde, in a truly reforged fashion.

Currently the first, second and third missions of the Prologue Campaign, Chasing Visions, Departures and Riders on the Storm are re-reforged and available to download. You can also download a completely new map acting as interlude between the second and the third mission of the campaign, Maelstrom. This map refines some lore facts and contextualize the events of the second part of the prologue.

If any bug is found, please report and I'll do my best to fix it.

FAQ
What is Warcraft III RR?
Warcraft III RR re-imagines cinematics, terrain, map design, AI, balance and graphics of the main campaigns' maps. Refer to the screenshots to see what kind of improvements I'm talking about.
Each map is an overhauled version of the respective reforged map by Blizzard Entertainment. So, don't expect completely new story content, this just isn't the goal of this project.
All difficulty levels are rebalanced, with easy made a little harder than a cake walk, normal being an average level of difficulty and hard made more similar to Starcraft II brutal difficulty level.
I work on this in my free time. I plan to re-reforge the entire Prologue Campaign but cannot put a deadline on when it will be done. I'm also waiting for Blizzard to fix their game otherwise some things just cannot be done.
My goal is to show the amazing stuff that can be done with the new graphics (the Reforged engine) to really brings Warcraft III into the modern era. I believe this game deserves it. It is very disappointing to see such an amazing graphics and such a classic game be re-released so unpolished.

Wait, you mean like what they promised on Blizzcon 2018?
Re-reforged means mostly to update the terrain, to update some maps/quests design, to add a choreography to each map briging neutral units or "background" units (villagers, etc.) to life. Also, it means to redesign completely all cutscene cinematics to be similar to the style of the Blizzcon 2018 The Culling cinematics. This comprehends adding additional cutscenes.

The overall feeling of each mission should be a modernized, polished and more immersive version of the original. Some citation to World of Warcraft or in general to Warcraft lore are added, without altering the overall story.

About that: the story is not changed and cannot be. This is just not possible with the resources at our disposal, and I believe it will never be. Anyway, I think I can get quite close to what Blizzard envisioned back in 2018!

Who is the creator?
I'm an italian software engineer and currently PhD student at the University of Siena. I'm also an hobbyst indie game developer working with Unity, Starcraft II Galaxy Editor and Warcraft III World Editor. Some of my works in Starcraft II comprehends a suite of scripts and the Top 10 finalist of the 2017 Rock the Cabinet competion Mercenary Business map.

If you like classical fantasy music, you can check out my Thimas Symphony. It's a set of orchestral pieces actually composed by my father!

How to play the maps?
Until custom campaigns are back, to play the map you need to open the editor and load my map. Then you can choose the difficulty level by pressing File -> Preferences -> Test Map -> Difficulty level. You can also play using the single player menu but to my knowledge you won't be able to change the difficulty.
If you play and make a video out of it, please feel free to send it to me and I will gladly attach it here to showcase the map.
Note that owning of Warcraft III Reforged is required to play!

Are locales supported?
Currently only the english locale is supported! I plan to support other locales once the campaign is finished, but right now I cannot guarantee the maps to work with other locales. If you want to help with localization just contact me in the thread below or in private.
DO YOU WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?

Translation in multiple languages (the ones supported by Reforged) would be handy. If you want to help me translate the maps, contact me by PM or in this project page.

OFFICIAL VIDEOS

Note: all official playthroughs are played on hard difficulty and are played by me. Some videos may be not up-to-date. Check in the video itself if that's the case. Know that all not updated videos will be updated, in time.

SHOWCASE VIDEOS

The showcase videos may not be up-to-date. In any case, they will not be removed (unless the same showcase is updated with another video).

CONTRIBUTORS

AlexMSimenov for most no-glow hero models.
loktar for the classic sound files in the second mission "Departures".​
Exogort for voice-acting the Loa in the third mission "Riders on the Storm".
DracoDirik for the overall support and beta-testing!
Tamplier777 for overall help, beta-testing and for many great models (for details see the custom models section of this page).
Moonman for overall help, beta-testing and for the amazing Kul Tiras models (for details see the custom models section of this page).
ShadiHD for overall help and beta-testing.
Retera for making Retera Model Studio.
PaulH for beta-testing.
Bagysta for the amazing orcs models (for details see the custom models section of this page).

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
All the people on Hive Workshop and especially on the Jayburrito and Altcraft discord servers!

CUSTOM MODELS
Warsong Grunt by Bagysta
Animated Grass by Sunchips
Ogre Mound by Tamplier777
Human Kingdoms Banners Reforged by Tamplier777
Orc Clans Banners by Tamplier777
Kul Tiras Pack by Moonman from the Chronicles of the Second War Campaign
Bushes Pack by Tamplier777 from the Chronicles of the Second War Campaign
Sen'Jin Reforged by me
Gar'Thok Reforged Fixed by me

There are many more custom models by me I use internally for this project. Also, I've modified some of the models listed above for this project use only.

Changelog

09-23-2020:
  • Updated Mission 03 (Riders on the Storm) [v1.0.1]:
    - Fixed a tree trunk on the way of a shaman to appease MasterBlaster OCD
    - Fixed some bugs with the trigger queue in the third cinematic (Healed Fountain), where queue was not cleared and the fountain itself was not healed if the cinematics was skipped
09-19-2020:
  • Released Mission 03 (Riders on the Storm) [v1.0]
  • Updated Mission 02 Interlude (Maelstrom) [v1.1]:
    - Improved terrain with a lot of small but important tweaks
    - Added custom models to Sen'Jin and Kul Tiras forces
    - Added scene showing the humans attacking the trolls
    - Now Nazgrel is the only raider in Thrall's group
    - Made it clear it is Sen'Jin vision all along
    - Other fixes and minor modifications according to the critiques I recieved when it was first released
  • Updated Mission 02 (Departures) [v1.2]:
    - Added some additional dialogues to increase immersion
    - Added a Gnoll lore hint
    - Improved cutscenes with custom models and small fixes
    - Added a specific Warsong grunt model
    - Gar'Thok has now a more prominent role
    - Fixed some more typos
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Vision) [v1.4]:
    - Now Thrall leaves its tent on foot
    - Snowsong is a thing now
    - Added more sounds to the Horde's camp during the cinematic to make it fell more alive
    - Improved all the cinematics with small but important tweaks
    - Gar'Thok has now a more prominent role
    - Added some additional dialogues to increase immersion
    - Added an appropriate Ogre Mound to the sleeping ogre
    - Now the hidden potion secret is a much more appropriate Circle of Binding secret, summoning the potion

06-17-2020:
  • Released Mission 02 Interlude (Maelstrom) [v1.0]
  • Updated Mission 02 (Departures) [v1.1]:
    - Removed hero glow from all heroes during cinematics
    - Added back lip-sync (animated portraits) to all characters during transmissions and cinematics
    - No more Hellscreamâ„¢
    - Some little improvements to sounds, timings and overall terrain
    - Fixed some typos
    - Fixed some pathing issues
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Vision) [v1.3]:
    - Removed hero glow from all heroes during cinematics
    - Added back lip-sync (animated portraits) to all characters during transmissions and cinematics
    - Fixed some typos
05-03-2020:
  • Released Mission 02 (Departures) [v1.0]
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.2]:
    - The tutorial is now optional and can be skipped with an appropriate dialog (no story content is lost if the tutorial is not played)
    - Added footsteps sounds during cinematics to all units
    - Increased the number of animated tree (thanks to additional trigger optimization)
    - Improved sounds variety and quality both during gameplay and during cinematics
    - Added visual effects to Medivh while morphing
    - Added lighting effects during cutscenes
    - Improved a bit the terrain
    - Improved tutorial in some points (with optimizations and additional indicators)
    - Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game
    - The ogre now has some personality and is quite of a challenge
    - Added a shaman and a war mill to the orc encampment for additional variety
03-09-2020:
  • Updated Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.1]:
    - All creep camps now wake up when huts are attacked (if sleeping)
    - All creep camps spawn on harder difficulties is now bounded to the existance of the spawning hut
    - All creep camps spawn huts will immediately spawn their reinforcement if the relative hut is attacked
    - Improved the Sleeping Ogre camp
    - Fixed a bug which may cause the last cinematic to hang if a previous cutscene was skipped
    - Cleaned some triggers and removed some useless one
03-07-2020:
  • Released Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) [v1.0]

Mission 03 (Riders on the Storm) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • Mission is remade from scratch both with respect to terrain and quest design. Now the map uses the Sunken Ruins tileset and the appropriate creeps and the quest involves defending the trolls while destroying the Kul Tiras outpost. The map is made from scratch, so expect almost everything to be changed
  • Restored a ton of cut content, both lore, immersion and quest wise
  • Added a secret with a reference to a novel
  • Custom models for Sen'Jin and the Kul Tiras Mariners fitting their appearances in the lore
  • Removed hero glows to all heroes during cinematics
  • Animated the trees (during the game AND during cinematics) taking care of performance
  • Increased the overall difficulty of the map (it's actually engaging now, even if not too challenging if the appropriate difficulty is chosen with respect to player's game experience)
  • Increased immersion with additional dialogues and creep encounters
  • Overhauled the optional "Fountain" quest to feel much more modern
  • Rebalanced the units available to the player with respect to the story
  • Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game (tip: click on units around the map and use Thrall's vision ability to discover hidden things)
  • Overhauled all cinematics (redone from scratch while hinting at the original design, they are now much more like the Culling Demo of 2018)
  • Added hints and tips all around for better playability
  • Improved scripts performances and timings
  • Improved creep camps, at normal and hard difficulties neutral buildings will now reinforce their fellow comrades when the camp is attacked
  • Overhauled all three difficulty levels hero experience gain, damage dealt handicap and HP handicap standpoint
  • Increased the number of enemies found on hard and normal difficulties
  • Added more items/runes drops (very useful especially on hard difficulty)
  • Reorganized checkpoints to be more similar to Starcraft II
  • Now Nazgrel acts as a demi-hero unit (like Naisha) for the entirety of the mission
Mission 02 Interlude (Maelstrom) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • It is a new map, so there is no change!
  • The map explores Thrall misfortunes in the open seas and the Admiral Proudmore chase for the orcs' stolen ships which ultimately lead to some Kul Tiras forces being dispersed on the Darkspear islands. If some events are more hinted than properly displayed it's because there is no actual lore. What you see is my own interpretation of the confusing lore about that, and I hope you can fine it evocative, interesting and of course entertaining.

Mission 02 (Departures) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • Overhauled terrain, level design and ambience sounds, remade from scratch the Alliance Naval Base and human village near it (more than half of the map) inspired by WoW lore
  • Added the fully animated and interactable village of Southshore, with some named WoW characters in it
  • Added a secret with a nice reference to WoW
  • Custom models for Warsong grunts
  • Increased immersion with additional dialogues
  • No more Hellscreamâ„¢
  • Added a murloc creep camp
  • Added a secret creep camp referencing Wow lore of the area
  • Made the tutorial skippable while the story content is left intact
  • Added novel placement graphics during the "building structures" tutorial
  • Animated the trees (during the game AND during cinematics) taking care of performance
  • Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game
  • Added neutral critters all around the map
  • Added a custom (JASS) AI to the Alliance Forces
  • Increased a little bit the overall difficulty of the map (mostly because of the AI which is now able to react)
  • Overhauled all cinematics (redone from scratch while keeping the original design, you will be able to recognize them easily but they are much more like the Culling Demo of 2018)
  • Added hints and tips all around for better playability
  • Improved creep camps, at normal and hard difficulties neutral buildings will now reinforce their fellow comrades when the camp is attacked
  • Overhauled all three difficulty levels hero experience gain, damage dealt handicap and HP handicap standpoint
  • Added more items/runes drops (very useful especially on hard difficulty)

Mission 01 (Chasing Visions) changes from Blizzard's reforged
  • Overhauled terrain and ambience sounds, while keeping the level design intact (trees, doddoads, terrain textures, etc)
  • Made the tutorial skippable while the story content is left intact
  • Increased immersion with additional dialogues
  • Added lore "hints" to display additional info about the Warcraft lore during the game (tip: click on the units in the orc encampment)
  • Added neutral critters all around the map
  • Overhauled orc encampment to actually be alive
  • Overhauled all cinematics (redone from scratch while keeping the original design, you will be able to recognize them easily but they are much more like the Culling Demo of 2018)
  • Added three new cinematics
  • Added hints and tips all around for new mechanics, from the marks on the minimap to rune and many more
  • Fixed some inconsistencies in unit stats
Contents

RR Prologue 01 (Map)

RR Prologue 02 (Map)

RR Prologue 02 Interlude (Map)

RR Prologue 03 (Map)

Reviews
  1. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That was unexpected. Let me know what you think, it is important to me (that applies to everyone, not only the moderator). The remaining two maps expect to be changed as much as the third one (overall I mean).

2. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I said it would be taken another look at when the third chapter was added. I am a man of my word. ;)
    If you wish to edit the first two maps before I take another look, however, let me know.

3. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I always update the already released maps when I release one new. However, I'm quite happy how they turned out. Not all maps should have changed gameplay. To summarize:
    1) Gameplay unchanged, reworked terrain (with same design), cinematics (with many added), increased difficulty, added some encounters, refined tutorial, improved secret
    2) Base construction gameplay unchanged, improved tutorial, added more creeps. Assault gameplay completely changed (the enemy has an AI now). Terrain updated in the first part (like first map), completely redone in the second one. Of course cinematic fully redone.
    2 Interlude) It's new!
    3) Map done from scratch, new quest design, cinematics, restored content, tileset, etc...

4. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awwww <3

By the way, in the interlude... the Shaman walks straight through a tree trunk, which viewed from a cinematic angle really triggers my OCD :D

5. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    tried chapter 3 and, there's no Watch Towers? Also if you ESC during the fountain quest turn in the fountain won't get restored and it will take like 5 mins before Thrall gets free Healing Wards; very good chapter otherwise

6. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll solve that, but I will write in the changelog that's just to appease your OCD :mwahaha:

Thank you for reporting the bugs, I'll fix them in the next version. About the watch towers, they are supposed to be introduced in mission 5, alongside the holdout mission. As you can see, I've changed quite a lot the units you can use (specifically, I'm adding 1 unit per mission).

7. papastreck

papastreck

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome campaign, land and cinematics are really perfecr, I also enjoyed new models, will wait for new missions!

8. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you! Two new mission are on the works, but they will require some time.

In a couple of hours I'll update the third map with an hotfix. Very minor changes, but required. You can find the changelog as follows:

Updated Mission 03 (Riders on the Storm) [v1.1]:
    - Fixed a tree trunk on the way of a shaman to appease MasterBlaster OCD
    - Fixed some bugs with the trigger queue in the third cinematic (Healed Fountain), where queue was not cleared and the fountain itself was not healed if the cinematics was skipped

9. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    My sanity has been restored, thank you! :D

10. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dude it's so inspiring!

This is single handedly make me wanna reinstall to replay a lil bit of that campaign... on your terms these times!

EDIT: It's great that you added the videos, I would have never had installed War3 to check it out. But it made me possibly want to...

11. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You reviewed me without playing it? It's... odd!. I really hope you play them for good and tell me what you think!

12. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For those interested, a full playthrough video of the third mission, so you can check the gameplay differences by yourself.

A lot of things I didn't explore in this video, you are welcome to try it ouy and tell me what you think of the gameplay too.

13. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not odd, can't I just encourage a fellow developer if there's something in his work which just... "ding" with my feelings?
    Not to mention the passion and the hardwork you seem to be putting in there.
    I can't do anything else than use the different vectors I have to encourage that.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not. Lots of people do it especially with low ratings.
    However, it's not fair.

15. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maps approved!

16. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    If there were a thousands people rating and commenting every day, I wouldn't feel the need to bump up the morale of fellow devs.

Sorry if I'm stepping out of the lines \o/

EDIT: Now if that makes you more comfortable, I'm writing comments, voting and giving rep to many people.

17. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great! Thanks! This is amazing news!

Hey I didn't want to start any kind of argument. Anyway Goffterdom, I'm looking forward to know what you think of the maps once you have played them! :)

18. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah me neither, sorry if it looked that way.

I'm just filled with emotions whenever I see people hard working on Reforged projects, I can't help myself but to pop in and try to bring some love, in any way I can.

I have a question though, since the custom campaign feature is gone, do we launch your maps one after the others?

If yes, how did you do with character progression? Do you just consider that the player "collected" everything he could on previous mission and spawn him with it in the next one?

EDIT: Another question if I may, when (and if) the custom campaign feature comes back, will you instantly port your work to it? (I guess so). How hard do you think it'll be to convert it to a functional campaign?

19. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well well, for now I disabled character progression but I will enable it as soon as custom campaigns come back. The best way to start the maps is through the editor (test map). This way, you can select the difficulty. Otherwise it will always default to normal.

Yes, as soon as custom campaigns are back this will be ported over immediately. There are a few things I want to port from mission to mission:
    1) Lore tips and hints where applicable (if you click in one mission, it's not repeated in another)
    2) Character progression (as always)
    3) The base, gold remaining (both within a certain boundary) and survived trolls villages in the 3rd mission are ported to the 5th (the map layout is shared already, you can see the attacking murloc villages in the 3rd even if, in the 3rd, they do nothing), plus some other little comments and dialogues (for example about the fountain if it was not healed, there is cut content for that)
    4) The remaining troops at the end of 4th mission are ported to the 5th as initial troops (plus some default ones)

20. Malistroth

Malistroth

Resources:
    Resources: