1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Ezekiel12, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd like them to include the models from the Funny Bunny Egg Hunt. They're official blizz models, much like the cars from their car racing map, but weren't included in a patch (unlike the cars from the racing map).

2. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    well let's see....

being able to imported spells unit data and bla bla bla without erasing all current data... damn you world editor!!!!

3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My wish for some future patch: make Warcraft III able to play .mid files!

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Problem is that the availability, sound and quality of instruments available to playback midi files is not standardized, or the standardized ones sound terrible. Hence why midi went out of fashion for lossy compressed audio streams in the early 2000s since there is no ambiguity in playback and they are capable of sound effects which midi is not (standard midi cannot recreate some advanced instrument techniques such as analogue properties of a piano key).

For example, if you are a music professional with an expensive audio card then the resulting sound quality will probably sound much better than someone with an integrated sound chip (most of the public). Another example is an integrated sound chip from one vendor may result in completely different sounds from an integrated sound card from another vendor.

It is probably too much work to create their own set of standardized WC3 midi instruments.

5. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe, currently (re)playing standalone Warcraft 1 and 2 music files (converted to .mid) in a media player. I use CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth for that. It emulates sustain, reverb, does mixing interpolation....

These SF2 files are worth checking out imho :
    - Arachno SoundFont (148 MB) - many video game musics sound great with it
    - FluidR3 GM (141 MB)
    - WeedsGM3 (52.3 MB) - your mileage may vary with that one
    - Roland SC-55 v1.1 (9.42 MB)

As for standardization, I point out DirectMusic was introduced with DirectX 6.1. Its software synthesizer uses Roland Sound Canvas samples in DLS format (gm.dls, 3.28 MB).

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes but if one reads up about DirectMusic Microsoft says the following...
    Due to changes in the sound stack starting with Windows Vista, DirectMusic compatibility is very basic with many of its features no longer working.

The closest they can reliably use is DX9's XAudio2 with its most basic API version which will use DirectSound on Windows XP and the native stack of Windows Vista and later. As far as I am aware it does not particularly support MIDI natively, likely for the reasons I stated above (MIDI file formats are just not very good).

For Mac support something completely different is needed as Mac have no DirectX APIs (they are Windows/Xbox only).

7. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for pointing out. I did not know MS deprecated DirectMusic (for yes, I use XP). Anyway this is unimportant, as any software MIDI synthesizer can be selectable for midi playback. Please see attached pic.

I point out too, WC3 seems to use the midi/DLS combo already, with day/night ambient sounds. I believe it is because WC3 comes with The Miles Sound System.
    http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm

Not sure what happened to The Miles Sound Tools (MilesT32.exe) free download... It includes the Miles Sound Player, which allows to play midi files with DLS. My version is 7.1a, from the year 2007 (includes both 32 bit and 64 bit exes).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Starting with Windows Vista that functionality has been removed. There is no driver level midi support anymore. Hence why DirectMusic is deprecated and obsolete and should not be used. Midi support has to be entirely software emulated. Sound cards require separate non-standard drivers with applications being specially written to take advantage of them.

WC3 also can apparently play midi files already, although a bit buggy and hacky. Still does not mean they will sound correct, playback correctly, or even play back at all due to limitations with the mid format and midi in general.

If midi support is properly added it would need to have support for accompanying downloadable sound files and depend fully on a software synthesizer to assure correct playback.

While they are at it they could add support for looping music.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  9. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yup, and it should give satisfying results too. Or at least, as satisfying as Miles allows them to be.

On my audio hardware, the BASSMIDI midi synthesizer driver has high latency with my sound card drivers. CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth works perfectly, though.

Ambient day/night sounds play perfectly in the standalone Miles 7.1a player, as long as you load their corresponding DLS file. One may try to load the stock gm.dls DirectMusic DLS file instead. It leads to somewhat "interesting" results (if you are into experimental music, that is).

I 100% agree. A DLS file as good as Arachno SounfFont would do the trick. I also agree it would indeed be quite a bit of work. Blizzard might want to add the possibility to load any custom DLS file for midi music ? (if they ever wish to support midi music at all).

In the Miles Sound Player, midi files do loop.

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, how did you guys find all this out. @pyf you study music? :p

I've got a decent amount of stuff on my todo list for this Summer, but I definitely planned to try synthesizing some .mid music. I really wasn't aware the file type was no longer in use.

But is it possible to just pass the .midi instructions to the sound chip and play them? I'd work with that option even if not everyone heard the exact same thing.

11. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No. I simply used to be very much into computer stuff.
    For me, these are only memories of previous discoveries / fun experiments.

For those who want to install v7.1a :
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20968

More recent version with installer welcome...
    I would suggest you do *not* associate any file extension with it, just in case...

Miles Sound System development history:
    http://www.radgametools.com/msshist.htm

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Except one would also want looping MP3/WAV files as well. It is a very common feature of games, especially on consoles, that for some reason Blizzard has never implemented into any of its modern games.
    I make it my business to know a lot about everything related to computers.
    No it is not possible at all. Since Windows Vista that functionality has been discontinued. A software based midi synthesizer for DirectMusic still exists however the API is marked as extremely deprecated/obsolete and using it would defeat the purpose of Blizzard maintaining WC3.

13. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ...which works with them too, in the Miles Sound Player 7.2g.
    What ? Yes, I upgraded in the meantime.

Since these installers are now very elusive to find, I have uploaded a quick and dirty Pastebin of some of them. Back then, they were all freely downloadable from the official RAD Game Tools site.

If someone is looking for something from them that was free to download, maybe I have it.

14. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Best one so far.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    How does one create a looping MP3. It is something very illusive and most personal stereo players still fail with them.

16. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    According to the makeloop executable included with Miles, it does so "by decimating the input .WAV or .MP3 data to an integral number of frames and applying any required overlap-window precompensation."

Please see the attached txt file for additional info.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All this talk of sound, and none of how restrictive Blizzard is with the whole 'sound set' issue! I would love a solution that would let us import Sound Sets in as easily as models, textures, and the like. If not, at least some understanding as to *why* it's a problem.

Would be nice, but can't you just export them from the map?

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes you can but then they take up space in your map as opposed to no space if they were part of the patch mpq.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Touché.

Any thoughts on the Sound Set issue, oh wise computer mastah? : )

20. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    so it's middle of jule already and yet no info about any kind of requested changes. goddamn its so good to be blizzard henchman, is it?