• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
No. It's the only map with alot of strategic depth, team tactics and what's very important - frequent updates!

There are many dota leagues, what encourages people to play it. I know few maps that are too "good" to be popular. By good I mean author doesn't care about his map being popular, he just wants to do perfect maps for him.

Just like I do.

Btwn, its true that a lot of nowhere map popup of nowhere all the time. And i seriously dont get how dota got so popular... I got bored of it on the first try!

Warcraft III is definitely dead.

First off, not many people play ladder anymore, which is pretty sad. I think people suck so badly at it and simply don't find it fun. It really annoys me how people in this day and age can't sit down long enough to learn intricated games.

So we're left with nothing but custom games to carry on WCIII. In 2003 and 2004, customs were great. Unfortunately, at the dawn of 2008, custom games are now shit. 10% of the games are filled with autorefresh spam bots (Want to make free money? Want to host? Join clan ____). Another 10% is rigged maps made by 13 year olds. 75% is DOTA. That leaves 5% of really good maps. And even when somebody does host a good map, nobody joins.

Let's face it, Warcraft III is merely a shadow of its former self. It is very sad to watch such a great game go out with such little dignity. I blame the player base.

I hope SC2 will restore RTS gaming. If it fails, Blizzard's reign on PC games will be a thing of the past.

I agree with you on everything. But I personaly dont like ladder map anymore (am not as bad as you think lol i got an acount to lvl 80 something a year or two ago).

Level 34
Blizzard's reign on PC games IS already a thing of the past. They will be dead to me, until they shut down WoW.

WoW seems to be doing just fine. It's the biggest MMO game right now, if not the biggest multiplayer game ever. Sure you may not like it, but millions of other people do.

Level 21
I don't play ladder cause it always makes me nervous :)
Nevertheless I love melee but I hardly see melee games hosted on the custom game list :/
I've only been on Europe, so I don't know how about the other realms, but Europe is always full of dota / lame td's or loaps...

Now, if we could join the Korean gateway of SC2, we're sure there'll be at least 1 gateway with little dota maps and much melee ...

Level 8
You mean the asian gateway. You don't need to join it to meet Koreans. In SC, they are on all 4 gateways.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Blizzard's reign on PC games IS already a thing of the past. They will be dead to me, until they shut down WoW.

Amen!

WoW seriously, in my opinion, screwed over Blizzards following of gamers.

As for the WC3 vs SC front, SC wins. However, it's not like SC is leagues ahead of WC. In fact, if it wasn't for the heroes then WC3 would be as good, if not better, than Starcraft.

It made Custom Gaming a lot better, but sacrificed the Melee aspects of things. Lets hope that Starcraft 2 can balance out Melee to Custom Gaming.

Level 8
Amen!

WoW seriously, in my opinion, screwed over Blizzards following of gamers.

As for the WC3 vs SC front, SC wins. However, it's not like SC is leagues ahead of WC. In fact, if it wasn't for the heroes then WC3 would be as good, if not better, than Starcraft.

It made Custom Gaming a lot better, but sacrificed the Melee aspects of things. Lets hope that Starcraft 2 can balance out Melee to Custom Gaming.

Wc3 would be worse without them IMO. Since you can't mass units as much compared to sc, fighting with a small army without a hero would be very boring. I'm all for Blizzard trying out new stuff. I'm not really pleased what's becoming of Starcraft 2. It seems that the game is being targeted to the Koreans and the pure hardcore RTS gamers. No new race etc...

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I agree that they're trying to market it to the more 'Hardcore RTS'ers', or as so to speak, but; I'm sure that, with the world editor being buffed up a bit more, they may be a way to integrate heroes into StarCraft.

There again, who knows.

If the worst comes to the worst, we could always partition blizzard to include a way to make heroes for the 'Use Map Settings' side of things - you never know, it might just work.

Level 12
Sure it would be better to add a new race or 2 but remember these things...

Story issues would occur

Balancing just right

Creating totally new ideas

I mean seriously with the type of races they pretty much got it

Human race(With machine guns!)
A ugly monster race(swarming FTW)
And a very advanced race(Badass tech)

Only I wish they would add more of a unit variety to there games

On SC2 i would love to see

rocket soldier type unit, shotty upgrade for reapers

They just need to add more variety... C&C always did a good job with that, in that section of gaming I love C&C series for a good reason of variety if different units.

You can count on like 5 fingers how many each race on WC3 had in ground units(Not heroes)

Anyway back to the topic, Its best to stick to the 3 races, they can build off of them, improve them greatly, so far they are doing great on the game.

If they added another action who would it be? Space Orcs like space orks on dawn of war? lol

Level 8
Although Wc3 was released only 6 years after Wc2, take a look at the changes that were made. It's huge. You won't see that great difference for Sc and Sc2 which will have more than 10 years gap between them.

It sucks because Blizzard cannot go experimental again. I thought Sc Ghost was a great idea. Too bad it wasn't good enough.

Level 1
Yeah. I agree with you all that Warcraft 3 is fading away. I hope it at least will be remembered for bringing an classic game into the 3D world.

oh,
I have watched my bro' playing DotA or what ever it was called, and that was by one word: Boring. Example: *Spawn Hero* *wakka-Wakka-wakkka* *SHMACK -- Hero Die*, Repeat.... 20-25 times, often with the result: *F*ck, i lost.*

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I wouldn't say Warcraft is fading away as such, they'll always be WoW. But I'm practically 100% sure that there will not be a Warcraft 4, WoW storyline has killed it in so many ways including with fire.

SC, on the other hand, is going to continue.

The main problem with blizzard, that I feel, is the fact that they've lost touch with all their fans. They're only trying to incorporate one type of gamer into one game. I've only ever played a few melee's on Battle.Net, and that was to get the Banshee Icon. I don't want to play Melee's all the time, it's boring and repetitive.

I want to play some sort of epic RPG like COT2, some form tower defense map , or even a vampirism (or something styled like that; Against the Darkness is much better imo).

Blizzard are forgetting about their loyal fans, and in the process, losing a lot of them. But we all know thats not a big issue, WoW gets them a shead load of money and newfags sign up for that on a daily basis.

Level 34
Want to know why DotA is so populair?

Gameplay
Defense of the Ancients (often referred to as DotA) is a custom map for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for the Blizzard title Starcraft. It is a team strategy game focused on hero combat. The objective is to destroy the opponents' base using one's own Hero along with allied heroes and allied AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". Sharing concepts with role playing games, the player levels up their hero and uses gold to buy equipment in an effort to best the opposing team.

The map was developed with the World Editor of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, but was updated upon the release of The Frozen Throne. While there have been many different variations on the original concept, the most popular version at tournaments is DotA Allstars, which has been maintained by several authors over the course of its development. Since its release, Allstars has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's Blizzcon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues.

History and development
The original author of Defense of the Ancients was a mapmaker by the name of Eul. After the Warcraft III expansion The Frozen Throne was released, Eul did not update the map, instead choosing to make the code open for other developers, and so the original Defense of the Ancients' development split away from the development of DotA Allstars. Numerous variants were created based on the original, but Allstars became the de facto standard of the map.

Based on the original map, Allstars was developed by an author under the alias Guinsoo; with the release of the 6.x version of Allstars another developer named IceFrog took up development. IceFrog is now the main programmer for the map. With successive versions, features, heroes, items, abilities, and graphics are added or updated and bugs are fixed. For example, in version 6.48, Icefrog added a feature which automatically changes the terrain from grass to snow. Each release is accompanied with a changelog. On the DotA Allstars forum, users can post ideas for new heroes or items, some of which are added to the map; Icefrog recently added a new hero based on submissions for a "model-to-hero" contest on his site.

Gameplay
DotA pits two teams of players against each other. Each team has a base in an opposite corner of the map. The Sentinel players have their base at the bottom left corner of the map, while the Scourge players are based in the top right corner. The respective bases are defended by towers, present on the three primary lanes with respective individual levels, the first tower starting from the diagonal being the weakest to the towers flanking the "Ancients" being the strongest. In the heart of each base is the "Ancient", a building which must be destroyed in order to win the game. Teams fight against the enemy team as well as computer controlled units and defensive structures.

Each human player controls a single Hero; a powerful unit with unique abilities. In DotA Allstars, players choose one of ninety heroes available between the two teams, each with different spells, strengths, and tactical advantages over other heroes. DotA is very team-oriented; it is hard for one player to carry his or her team to victory single-handedly. Albeit, some heroes do exist who can, given a certain amount of time to level up and obtain the required items to accomplish this task, change the game single-handedly, while simultaneously countering all of the opposing team's heroes. DotA allows for a maximum of ten players in a five versus five format and an additional two slots for referees or observers, and games are usually played with even numbers of players on each side.

As gameplay revolves around the use of individual heroes, it does not require one to focus on resource management and base-building, which is common in traditional real-time strategy games. Instead players focus on strengthening their heroes. Killing computer-controlled creeps earns the player's experience, and when enough experience is accumulated the player gains a level. Leveling up improves the hero's toughness and the amount of damage it can inflict, as well as allowing players to upgrade their spells or skills. In addition to accruing experience, players also manage a single resource, gold. The typical resource-gathering of Warcraft III is replaced by a combat-oriented money system; in addition to a small periodic gold income, heroes earn gold by killing creeps, base structures, and enemy heroes. With their gold, players buy items to strengthen their hero and gain additional abilities. Certain items can be combined along with 'recipes' to create more powerful items. Buying items to suit one's hero is an important tactical element of the game.

DotA Allstars offers a variety of game modes, which are selected by the game host at the beginning of the match. The game modes dictate whether people can choose their own hero or be assigned one randomly, as well as the difficulty of the game. Many game modes can be combined (for example, an easy difficulty level and a random hero pick), allowing for even more flexible game options.

Recognition and popularity

DotA has experienced increasing popularity over time. The game was featured by Computer Gaming World in a review of new maps and mods in Warcraft III, and has been called "the ultimate RTS". Allstars has also become recognized at tournaments, becoming an independent tournament item at the debut of Blizzard's BlizzCon convention in 2005. Dota Allstars was also featured in the Malaysia and Singapore World Cyber Games 2005, 2006, and the World Cyber Games Asian Championships 2006. The gametype is now included in the game lineup for the internationally-recognized Cyberathlete Amateur League and CyberEvolution leagues. DotA is also slated to appear in ESWC 2008, one of the most prestigious gaming events in electronic sports. LAN tournaments are a major part of competitive DotA play around the world, including Dreamhack in Sweden and ASUS in Russia; due to a lack of LAN tournaments and championships in North America, several DotA teams have since disbanded.

The game has become a hit in many parts of the world, especially in the Philippines and Thailand, where it has replaced Counter-Strike as the most-played game. It is also popular in Sweden and other Northern European countries, where the DotA-inspired song "Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA" by Swedish musician Basshunter reached the European 2006 charts at #116 and cracked the top ten Singles Charts in Sweden, Norway, and Finland. The popularity of the song led to a rise in coverage of the game, with non-gaming European publications writing stories about the gametype. Fans also created the artwork displayed while the map is loading.

That's the freaking problem:

It's
SPONSORED
BY
BLIZZARD

Level 3
I logged on Warcraft II's Battle.net last week and there was enough people to fill 2 chat rooms. I mean Warcraft III isn't going anywhere until it gets replaced by an updated version so to speak, and with the way technology is going these days that's not an issue. It's not like Warcraft III would be better by just pumping more power to it.

Also, Blizzard has DESTROYED the Warcraft Universe with WoW, which on it's own makes tons of cash. Why make Warcraft 4 and require more retcons to lore/take away from current subscribers when they can make t-shirts, board games, pen and paper RPGs, trading card games, and tabletop miniatuare games? So Warcraft III is pretty much here to stay.

Now if you're talking about melee maps, there's a reason I don't play those. No one of my mediocre skill level plays them anymore, I got into a match the other day as me, a level nothing, against a level 18 because that was the only person available. It just isnt as interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.