• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Warcraft 3 HD-Lite Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
(Probably in the wrong section, sorry I'm pretty new)

As the title states, I went out of my way a few months back to make a lite-HD mod for Warcraft 3. It's a mod that essentially updates most of the terrain, environmental doodads, and a handful of more common props. The mod also adds an ENB lighting mod that can be easily adjusted or deactivated. Rather than being pedantic and replaced every little detail of the units by switching them out with what I selfishly consider to be good alternatives, I only switched a few of the lower resolution models (eg. Footman, Arthas, Peons, Grunts, Skeletons, and Dreadlords - and I think I altered Thrall and Evil Arthas from being perched on a mount - that's all). The models I used for the environmental textures are essentially ripped straight from World Of Warcraft, though the hard work of it was done by all those "World Of Warcraft Warcraft Conversion Mods" junkies who never made anything practical. As for the handful of replaced models, I did burrow from the site here and if you see one that you know of the owner, I WILL credit them entirely and allow them to enforce the removal of the model if they feel strongly about it. Besides that, enjoy these images:
warhd4.jpg
warhd1.jpg
warhd2.jpg
war9.jpg
warhd3.jpg
war5.jpg
war17.jpg
war15.jpg
NOTE: Some of these images are from different steps within the development and may have different models in place of what is final within the mod itself.

Here is a quick video trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduFROZo-ds

Level 3
Download plz.

Just an update, because the mod is essentially done besides one or two little things I have to swap out and a credit roll for the few models I used. But right now it's only for Reign Of Chaos. It seems to not like Frozen Throne ground textures, but I'll release another one for the Frozen Throne in the near future following the release of this one. It's only half finished for Frozen Throne so you'll get a bunch of invisible textures, but you can still put it in there if you want to play custom games and stuff.

With that said, it's also a bit of a bitch to work with if you like using World Editor, as it hides most of doodads from the list while the new textures are replacing the old ones, but you can just drag the replacement textures from the main directory and the files containing them, which is like one or two, out until you're done your map. However, that's trickier than what I do, which is just copy a version of the game without the mod and make maps and stuff in there without any issues, than just drag the maps and stuff you make to the other one, which is perfect. This will all be in a ReadMe I'm sure, I'm just clarifying.

Besides those little issues that I just said how to completely work around, the game looks great. I mean, the occasional tree blocking a cutscene may happen, but besides that, the game itself looks stunning, and everything runs very smoothly with almost no issues. The HD Terrain and doodads make the models themselves feel better within their own regard, and give the game a nice refreshing, but modest, visual enhancement. If anyone has a preferred way to release mod, either through this site or outside of it, let me know, because I'm still not sure how where I'll upload it for everyone.

I plan to release sometime next month, so sit tight.
warnew5.jpg
warnew1.jpg
warnew3.jpg
warnew4.jpg
warnew2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
I have downloads, the standard mirrors are there. Try to wait a while and refresh or something. I'm new to this, so bear with me.

Roland

R

Roland

It seems like a re-textured version of warcraft but with an awesome design. Keep up the great work.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Hey it's cool I like this! Especially the ENB part. Since I don't have knowledge around these kind of things, maybe you can share me which files are used for the ENB effect, since I don't need the other materials (kinda breaks some maps), and how to configure it (if there is a way).

By the way, this mod works in Frozen Throne as well, as long as local files are allowed.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i reckon istvan already develop a similliar mod like this. and actually, there's already some mods like this exist in wc3 underground and moddb. you're going to get some competition there, especially with this upcoming mod : http://www.moddb.com/mods/wc3r

good luck though.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

i reckon istvan already develop a similliar mod like this. and actually, there's already some mods like this exist in wc3 underground and moddb. you're going to get some competition there, especially with this upcoming mod : http://www.moddb.com/mods/wc3r

good luck though.

That is INDEED very impressive - I would like to know where all those assets are from? custom?

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

That is INDEED very impressive - I would like to know where all those assets are from? custom?

you mean the one that i link it? yes, they are custom. and those resources is exclusive only for the mod. AFAIK some of them are editied hd wow model, and some of them are imported from wc3 assets in sc2 that blizzard made some time ago.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

you mean the one that i link it? yes, they are custom. and those resources is exclusive only for the mod. AFAIK some of them are editied hd wow model, and some of them are imported from wc3 assets in sc2 that blizzard made some time ago.

In that case I can't wait for a Beta or Alpha to release :)

Level 3
Yeah, there are a lot of people waiting eagerly for the Starcraft 2 rendition of Warcraft 3 including myself. However, remaking the entire game and the campaign will take some time, likely years. I thought it would be nice for Warcraft 3 to have it's own nice cleanup itself.

More importantly, mine is released already ;)
Cheers.

Level 1
Can not for the life of me figure out how to get this working.

Install instructions are pretty vague IMO, but that's probably becasue of my lack of knowledge when it comes to modding Warcraft 3.

If someone could help me out a bit that would be most appreciated.

Level 21
1.Throw all the folders except the "put this in directory with .exe" in your Warcraft III folder
2.Open the "put this in directory with .exe" and throw all it's content in your Warcraft III folder
3.Press the windows button+r
4.Type in regedit and press enter
5.Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Blizzard Entertainment -> Warcraft III
6.Click on Warcraft III
7.on your right you should see a list,right click on a blank space below it
8.Select new -> DWORD (32 bit)
9.Make the name Allow Local Files and press enter
10.Right click on it and select modify
11.Make the Value Data 1

Level 1
It works perfectly now! I don't think I can thank you enough for replying and helping me so fast!

Level 6
I just found this and decided to check it out, I know its a little late but, heres my opinion:

The trees look good, but they are really tall and the block some of the cutscenes so all you see is trees infront of the characters

Arthas looks cool, well I really like his human model, but his undead model is weird without his horse. Also, he doesnt animate or swing his sword when you use death coil, so he just stands still and the coil shoots out of his stomach, looks really odd

The ground textures are decent, but I dont really like the look of the new blight, and I really dont like how trees stay green instead of going grey when blighted

Some of the unit changes are cool, like the footmen and skeletons, but only a few units are updated and I wish that the units could look more like the original just sharper, instead of being quite different looking

Im going to try and see if I can undo some of these changes, like the blight but, if I start reverting things back to the original than I guess theres no point in using this lol :( I wonder though, if there is any other mods like this that I can combine and maybe make an even better one?

Last edited:
Level 3
I followed the steps to installation, and the terrain textures and units are correctly changed but all doodads appear as green boxes, any ideas on what might be causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.