• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Beta Models and More

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hello guys,
I have been provided with beta versions of Warcraft 3 and an alpha of Warcraft 2. They are said to contain models not available in the current versions. I am not sure how much use this is to you, but I find it extremely cool to have such a special part of Warcraft history at hand. Enjoy!

Warcraft_Old_Stuff.zip (561 MB)

Level 6
Just opened that zip. Not much to be found. Too bad there's no full alpha MPQ for WC3:(

As if there was "one" Alpha...

Beta is from late January 2002 (plus patches up to June), but the development of WC3 started in April 1998 or so. Undead models and textures were made in early 2000 (we even have a photo of the art team white board from that time) and Nightelves were made a few months later in mid 2000. By that time, the game had already drastically changed from RPS to RTS. While the races were pretty diverse up to late 2000, the year 2001 was a phase when Blizzard decided to make all races roughly the same and changed the overall concept to more unified proportions instead of the mishmash that we saw in 1999 and 2000. In late 2001 and early 2002 the game was again refined by finally chosing not to have manastones, even more similarities between the races and some interface tweaks.

Or in other words: The MPQ of any given Alpha version would probably only be a little slice of what you actually want.

Level 20
So I have a bit of a confession to make regarding one of the models in this pack.

"OldAssassin.blp" is actually something I made in Photoshop based on the existing RoC 'Warden' skin and an animated GIF of the Night Elf Assassin from the classic Warcraft 3 Battle.net site all the way back in 2003. The file is named as such because it's the 'old assassin' model, hence why it defies the standard Blizzard naming scheme of the rest of the models in the pack.

I don't actually remember what if anything I changed to make "oldassassin.mdx", but funny enough the pack is missing the accompanying portrait I made along with it.

I found out that it was a part of this pack years ago, but didn't feel it was important to tell anyone about it, knowing it was a sort of private joke that something I made back then was 'good enough' to be considered a 'beta model.' Although with the recent announcement of Reforged I thought it would make a funny anecdote instead.