1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Melee] Warcraft 3: Ability Draft

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by bhusta, Dec 27, 2014.

1. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update Version 0.6

This update brings some new features to the game.
    • Repick one time for the specific role Tank/Caster/Random
    • Pause Time for 60seconds
    • Healthbars and tooltips can be turned off and on by clicking on the button on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some changes on minor things.
    • Bug fix: up to version 0.5 it was possible that games just couldn't end
      because the victory/lose condition broke.
    • randomized background color

The Maps:

(2)Echo Isle
    (2)Secret Valley
    (2)Melting Valley

(4)Lost Temple
    (4)Turtle Rock
    (4)Twisted Meadows

Other stuff
    Skilled melee players have problems with the implemented QWER-Hotkeys
    because they learned the original hotkeys or have modified hotkeys.
    Original hotkeys don't work that well because many spells have the same hotkeys
    like stormbold and banish.
    I don't know what alternative I could implement.

One of my future goals for this project is, to organize a tournament.
    I don't know if it will be 1v1 or 4 player FFA.
    I would like to hear ideas and opinions about it.

If you play with your friends you can send me the replays. It's often super informative and helpful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys,
    the development of Ability Draft did not stop.
    Version 0.7 will be a revamp of a lot of things.
    I got a lot of feedback and I think 0.7 will bring some nice features you guys want.

1. The Dragon
      After 8 to 10 min of played game time, there will spawn a random dragon in the middle of the map.
      On death it will drop an experience tome. After another 8 to 10 min it will respawn.
      The reason for this is giving an incentive for fights and rainsing the experience gain overall,
      because people want to see their abilities in action as for example ultimates.
    2. Ability Pool
      The overall pick pool will be different and more like the Dota2 mode.
      The old one was entirely random. The new one consists of the abilities of the random heroes plus
      another six hero ability sets (only 9 ultimate abilities because of reasons).
      I decinded to do this because of two reasons. The first one is one can see in Wtii videos where
      certain abilities exist without their beneficial counterpart as breath of fire and drunken haze
      or the whole tinker set.
      And the second reason is that I think the big pick pool is poisonous for the diversity of games,
      because players always try to pick the same abilities. For example a bigger pick pool has a bigger
      possibility for mass summons. So the smaller pick pool brings more variety.

[​IMG]
    3. Re-role
      The re-role option will be given in a different way. At the moment on has to click the question mark
      at the heroes. I want player to get the possibility to re-role only one hero and it will be more
      obvious how it will work. The obvious reason for that is, most players do not know that this
      possibility exists at all and I don't want players to re-role their whole set because of "insert reason".
    4. Player Constellation
      Ability Draft will be 12 player compatible but only two players will be able to pick together.
      So there will be 6 pick teams in a full party game.
      The overall reason for this is a shorter duration of the whole pick process.
      I'd like to prioritize enemy players to pick together so they can be able do deny picks.
    5. Pick Style
      Overall players will pick as a player and not for every single unit anymore.
      One will be able to freely switch abilities to the slots the heroes one want it to be.
      Other ability hotkeys as QWER won't be possible due to warcraft3 limitations,
      but one will be free at least able to choose which ability should get which hotkey during the pick phase.
    6. Start Points
      Start points will be optimized so that players will spawn on the same side of the map as their team.
      At the moment the start locations aren't ordered.
    7. Game Start
      The game will start as soon as all teams have picked. Players won't finish the pick phase at the same time
      due to the reserve time and pause options.

I have a lot of other ideas for ability draft but only the mentioned changes will come with the new version.

Version 0.7 won't come out during the next three weeks due to me beeing on vacation, but I am eager to
    read what you guys think about these changes :)

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Dragon
    Spawning in the middle does not seem flexible. I mean in certain melee maps 'the middle' might be not be a perfect spot. In booty bay the exact middle is in the water I think. Or if it spawn in the middle of an already existing creep pack.

4. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's one of the challenges I have to face if I want to create only one code for all maps.
    Atm I create one GUI trigger in every map where I set some variables at the beginning of every game. For example what fog settings the map have.

I could simply add a variable for the point where the dragon should spawn.
    But it will always be a challenge to get the perfect spot if the middle is unavaiable in case of fairness.