• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Valkyrie class preview and 1.2D features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
So, as I'm working on 1.2D release atm, here are some of the core changes you can expect from the upcoming update:

Loads of Bugfixes and balance changes:
I've collected over 2 paper pages of bugs and balance notes that will be implemented in the next major update; expect all of the major bugs like mercenary limit and some exploits with Blackfire Deep to be fixed.

New beta boss release:
A new D4 boss will be available for betatest.

Changes to Blackfire Deep gameplay:
Blackfire Deep will be modified to improve the pacing of the game. Map size of generated floors will be reduced by 30% (at similar creature density as before). In return, all creature XP inside blackfire will be boosted by 30%, so that the level curve remains mostly untouched.
In addition, Blackfire can now randomly have floor events:
--> Twin-Boss Floor (smaller map, spawns two bosses next to each other that have to be defeated to unlock the exit beacon)
--> Boss Mayhem Floor (smaller map, spawns 5 bosses spread across the floor that must be defeated before you can unlock the exit beacon)
--> Alerted Floor (timer running down, must progress to next floor within 15 minutes or all remaining mobs will attack the player)
--> NPC challenge (spawns an NPC on the entry beacon that moves towards the exit beacon that can be protected for extra treasure)

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Valkyrie

With 1.2D, a new hero class will be introduced in Gaias Retaliation:
The Valkyrie will be added the hero lineup as the third missing main healer option, balancing out the existing three tank options.

Unlike all the other classes, the Valkyrie class starts as an advanced archetype and thus will not have the obligatory level 25 class change procedure. Instead, you can level it straight from level 1 to 50. The Valkyrie class option will only be available for players that reached level 50 with one of the other hero archetypes first.

For the initial release, Valkyries will only have 1 spell choice per ability tier to get the initial core balancing in the ballpark. There will be added more abilities to choose from in later updates.

Class Role: Melee/Support/Healing class (options to build as damage/support or true healer; but not both at the same time).
Equipment categories:
Armor - Leather
Weapon - Swords only
Misc - Lance
Main attribute: Strength
Equipment type: AP-Based (All spell effects use AP modifiers; even healing abilities)

Playstyle:
  • The whole class design is based around having two different stances that you can switch at will. One stance to build MP, one to consume it
  • Most of the heals are directly tied to damage abilities and heal based on the amount of damage dealt; this offers great synergy with support classes that buff your damage or your mana
  • While most of the heals are "smart" heals that you can not aim on your own, there are some direct emergency spells that you can throw in whenever shit goes down quickly
  • All of the healing spells are mostly instant cast abilities; however, even your main healing ability has a short but noticable cooldown of 6 seconds
  • Therefore, key to playing this class is to never use all of your critical spells on cooldown, else you will not have options when your main healing ability Valkyrie slash is on cooldown and you need to react fast because of a boss mechanic
  • Playing a Valkyrie as a healer requires a lot more awareness of your cooldowns and surroundings in order to keep your group alive; it's definitely a lot more difficult than spamming flash heal or remedy on the tank; however, you are rewarded with a class that not only heals like a champ, but also deals a considerable amount of damage in the process and is overall fun and dynamic to play
  • All spells are designed to consume a lot of MP when used; however, you can also recharge MP quickly when switching back to your normal weapon. But this means that you can not heal during that time, which requires some micro management and stance-dancing.

Core skill:

R: Divine Lance / Dread Lance - Toggle abilities imbue your Lance weapon. [5 second cooldown]
-> while Lance is active, all Valkyrie abilities will have an additional effect that consumes MP
-> if lance is not active, most abilities will recover MP instead

Abilities:
Q: Valkyrie Slash - Generates a stack that will cause your next attack to deal 30% more damage. Stacks up to 2 times. [6 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: Recovers 5 MP.
Divine Lance effect: A friendly unit in range will be healed by the amount of damage dealt.
Dread Lance effect: Additional shadow damage dealt to the target.

Q: Northwind Blast - Deals AP x 0.5 water damage to the target and additional Attackpower x 1.0 water damage over 5 seconds. [8 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: Recovers 5 MP.
Divine Lance effect: A friendly unit in range will be healed by Damage + Spellpower x 0.5 and Damage + Spellpower x 1.0 over 5 seconds.
Dread Lance effect: Increased water damage; the target is also slowed for the duration.

W: Aurora Blade - Quickly dashes to the selected target (friend or foe) [12 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: N/A
Divine Lance effect: heals all friendly units on your path.
Dread Lance effect: When cast on a foe, stuns the target for 2 seconds and deals a medium amount of physical damage to it.

W: No pairing yet

S: Meditation - Recovers the caster's MP while channeling. [90 second cooldown]

S: No pairing yet

A: Urgency
- Resets the cooldown of your Lance abilities when used. [45 second cooldown]

E: Corona Burst - Slams your Lance into the ground, dealing magic damage to all enemies around the caster. [20 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: Recovers 2 MP for every enemy hit.
Divine Lance effect: Additionally heals all friendly units around the caster by a maximum amount split among all healed targets depending on their current health.
Dread Lance effect: Deals additional shadow damage over 5 seconds and slows attack, casting and movement speed of all enemies around the caster.

D: Divine Hammer - Interrupts and deals magic damage in a small AoE around the target location. [35 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: Recovers 2 MP for every enemy hit.
Divine Lance effect: Consecrates the ground, healing all friendly units within the area of effect by an amount determined by their max HP every second for 5 seconds.
Dread Lance effect: Deals extra shadow damage that is split equally among all units hit by the Hammer.

F: Forward Striking - Channels a flurry of melee attacks upon the selected target over 3 seconds. While channeling, the caster also takes 50% less damage from the target. Not affected by Spell Haste. [40 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: Recovers 2 MP for every hit.
Divine Lance effect: Every attack will heal a friendly unit in a large range by half of the damage done.
Dread Lance effect: Target is immobilized over the duration. The final attack will deal triple damage and stun the target for 2 seconds.

Z: Angelic Sibling - Only available while using Divine Lance or Dread Lance. Calls your ethereal twin that will use the same Valkyrie ability set as the caster, but uses the opposite Lance. Lasts until all mana is consumed. [120 second cooldown]
Disabled Lance effect: N/A
Divine Lance effect: Ethereal twin will use the Dread Lance.
Dread Lance effect: Ethereal twin will use the Divine Lance.

Talent Preview:

10:
- Increase HP by 15%
- Increase MP by 15%
- Increase Attackspeed by 10%

15:
- Increases chance to score a critical strike by 5%
- Increases all resistances by 10%
- Increases movement speed by 10%

20:
- Increases healing done by 10%
- Increases physical ability damage by 7%.
- Increases chance to hit by 10% (attack spells don't heal on evaded attacks!)

25:
- Increases MP gain of offensive Valkyrie abilities by 50% (rounded up) on critical strikes
- 'Valkyrie Slash' can now stack up to 3 times. 'Northwind Blast' duration increased by 3 seconds.
- Reduces the cooldown of 'Urgency' by 15 seconds

30:
- Increases Spellpower by 7%
- Increases Attackpower by 7%
- Increases Attackspeed by 10%
35:
- 'Aurora Blade' will now heal the selected friendly target for the regular healing amount even when used in normal weapon mode.
- 'Divine Hammer' consecration effect duration increased by 3 seconds
- 'Meditation' now recovers MP instantly and is no longer channeled

40:
- Increases range of all healing effects by 25%
- Critical strikes with unmodified melee attacks will now create a free stack of 'Valkyrie Slash'
- 'Forward Striking' damage reduction duration increased by 3 seconds.

Last edited:
Level 5
upload_2017-5-21_12-24-20.jpeg

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I tried to do a unique twist on the normal healer archetype here. This is somewhat inspired by how healers work in TERA, in the way that every one of your heals has a cooldown, but due to having lots of heals to select from, you can still heal on demand; you just have to go with what you currently have available. To make the concept still fair to play, I made 2 "emergency buttons" in the form of Urgency and Meditation, so that you won't get instantly screwed when someone in your group messes up a boss mechanic.

As you can see, there is no combat ress ability. I was thinking about adding a non-combat ress as a side effect to one of the other abilities like Meditation for convenience. But I don't plan to ever add a combat ress to this class; this is the trade for having a much better offensive potential and non-hybrid gear requirement.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
in my opinion it would be preferable to add a general out-of-combat ressurection ability to all three dedicated healer classes on the general hero command panel (not in spellbook). In this way, combat ress will remain useful for harder challenges. Cleric ress could be renamed 'Combat Ressurection' or whatever.

Last edited:
Level 7
Can we nerf the shit out of Bishop's soul strike then? Its already pulling insane DPS (500 or so?) while full healing an entire party. If its important that Valkyrie does good DPS while healing, then I think its important to ensure that its already not out classed by Bishop on the get go.

On a side note, can we get Bards to be SP based? Its rather disappointing making an entire item set for ONE Class (SP leather, for druids) when every other item type is shared by at least 2 classes. Valkyrie makes the 4th AP based leather class. If we move Bard to SP based leather then we're at 3 AP leather and 2 SP leather, a much better distribution.

The class looks fantastic though, I can't wait to do the 5 Valkyrie meta runs in whitepines! :D

Level 7
Actually I suppose this is solved by simply forcing the Bishop to spend more time actually casting heals. Part of the problem is how powerful mend and shield is when rotated properly so the Bishop is left with nothing to do other than cast Soul Strike. Valkyrie would inherently be different since to heal you'd also be doing damage. So a fight which requires constant heals to be cast you'd have a Bishop with only crippling curse, which is only about 110 DPS. Efreet on Druid isn't terribly strong, yet for a Valkyrie to constantly rotate heals its also constantly dealing damage and as such should be higher DPS than the other healers naturally. Now getting a Bishop to the point in which it actually needs to focus on healing instead of soul striking is the hard part x].

Level 5
^ What Jimbo said, also you cannot compare this new class to bishop nor druid, of course shield and mend takes care of most healing (most of the time) but not everyone are as skilled as us nor as geared as us, keep in mind (I played with you alot back then). I have seen tons of bishops struggling to heal even the easiest things hence there was a running meme that the healer merc heals better than healers, right now the only reason why bishops can deal so much damage is due to the us being super overgeared for the whitepine content, GG souls with GG bag items. We don't know how valk will function in a battle yet so it is already too early for us to call out on what she does. Have you seen dungeon 4 scorpion test fight? I healed and tanked for it before, and I tell you , I barely had any chance of spamming soul strike, ALSO if you plan suggest to nerf soul strike, what will happen to monk?

Level 1
I suggest to nerf Deathfire Veil, the shield can not be charged for more than Spellpower x 1 points of damage.

Okay, so Aurora Blade seems to be the mobility skill, which is generally a safe/low risk pickup by letting you dodge boss spells. A very desirable skill actually, looking at the cooldown. Compare to Sorceror's Mislead, which is a level 42 skill, and has a 30 cooldown. So I'd suggest pairing it with a high risk, high reward skill, for those who would forgo the safety net that Aurora Blade provides.

My suggestion would be:

Focused Strike/Perfect Focus: Channel for 3 seconds(affected by spell haste), readying your lance for a devastating blow. Taking damage during this time will cancel the channel(will not be canceled if you are shielded). If sucessful, deal high damage to the target.
Disabled Lance: N/A
Divine Lance: Heal nearby allies while channeling(This allows you to mitigate the risk somewhat).
Dread Lance: If the attack is successful, gain an attack speed buff for a short duration. (Dealing additional damage if successful is also another viable alternative, but most of the Dread Lance effects do that. Don't know if you want to keep consistent with that theme).

Cooldown: 15-25 seconds, depending on numbers.

Meditation also seems like a very good talent, especially if paired with the talent that removes channeling. Mana means more healing for the team, making it a very support focused pickup. I'd suggest pairing it with a more "selfish" skill, for diversity. Something like a self shield, so you can are forced to choose between more sustain or a very good survivability skill.

Battle Stance: Gain a large shield amount.
Duration: 3-10 seconds.
Cooldown: 20-40 seconds.

EDIT:

If that's too boring, there's ways to make it more interesting, for example by marking enemies/allies:

Valkyries Mark
Mark a target enemy or ally for a short duration. All damage or healing you do to the target during the duration causes you to be shielded for a percentage.

Last edited:
Level 9
Emphasize: (S Pairing)
Instant Cast
No Cooldown
MP Cost = 2

The caster puts emphasis on their target allowing for additional affects to come from their other abilities. Switiching your lance ends the buff.
Disabled Lance: When the user gains additional MP from their other abilities.
Divine Lance: All healing goes to selected target.
Dread Lance: The Target takes 33% of all other damage caused by other Dread Lance effects. (like holy surge but with damage from dread lance, however thats supposed to be writtin)

Arcing Blade: (W Pairing)
1 second cast time.
11 second cooldown.
MP Cost = ?

Interrupts the target and deals (agilx2) lightning damage.
Disabled Lance effect: Arcs to up to another enemy, interrupting them as well.
Divine Lance effect: Arcs up to 3 allies healing them depending on your spellpower.
Dread Lance effect: Two additional arcs are added and now arcs deal agility dependent damage.

Reasons for editing: The W pairing was added

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
No the pairings will ship completed. I like the idea with the holy surge knock-off. For a class that has its primary heal automated, this could be a useful addition. However, I would pair that with Aurora Blade, as I feel that makes more sense (-> deciding between an AoE heal and a controlled single-target heal).

Meditation will probably be paired with a party buff.

Level 2
I wondered how the lance toggle is being handeled.
Up to now I didn't really understand how this is gonna work.

I guess that normally there is no lance active. So you press Q to switch to divine lance. Then you can heal ...
But what happens then? Let's say you don't have mana anymore: Do you have to switch to dread lance first and then (after waiting 5s) switch to no lance to build up some mana? - That would mean that you have to wait 10s inbetween each healing phase, which is too long in my opinion.

Or do you mean it like: There are 2 different lance-misc-items in the game? When you put the divine lance in the inventory, you can toggle to it for healing or deactivate for building up mana? (Then you'd have no ability to deal additional dmg.)
But when you find the dread-lance-misc-item, and put it on, you can switch between dread lance and no lance, to deal additional dmg / building up mana.
Paired with this possibility could be the activation mechanics like stoneskin from monk. The cooldown of 5s starts when you activate the lance, but you can switch back as early as you like. But the earliest you can switch it ON again would be after 5s.

My english sucks today ... let me know if this isn't clear enough!

Level 5
Zwieb a question comes to my mind.You said that we will need to have reached lvl 50 in order to make Valkyrie but how will the game exactly comprehend that we alrdy got a lvl 50?Will we need to load a maxed char first then repick n create her?

Level 7
Aw. I was hoping she was hanging out in the Riversdale tavern, and when you talk to her without being level 50 she tells you to come back later when you're stronger. Then when you ARE level 50 and talk to her, she says something like "hey, maybe you are strong enough to beat the plague, perhaps I could join you on your journey" and that is what unlocks her!

Level 3
İts add some flavor but , talk>Be Lvl 50>talk again to unlock its just taking your time probly most players gonna be pissed because of that unlock progress its trouble for me too its annoying imo. Load>Repick still better and faster.

Level 5
I suggest you hire vDou as the lead actress for the new class :D I believe he is most suited for the job xDxD

Level 1
Hello, i cant convert my save "Soul Vault" from version 1.2C(18) to 1.2D(2) . Its invalid code..
How should i do it plz ?

Level 5
basicly -comp ur hero codes from 18c to 1.2d(2) and then -comp again to 1.2d(4) for vault codes if you havent gotten a collectible in ur vault from bf u wont be able to import it

Status
Not open for further replies.