• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using Reforged Icons in Classic

IconsBanner.png
  • Within this tutorial, you'll find out how to use Reforged' HD Icons in your map without the need to export and re-import them through CascView.
  • This is useful for maps that want to retain a bit of similarity between supported modes for it, or have a Reforged icon in use that won't display in Classic.
  • You don't need to own Reforged to do this.
  • It's super simple, but can be tedious.
  • For the first step, you'll want to open the Object Editor and choose your desired Item/Ability/Unit icon field.
  • Below is an attached example of the field for an item, Boots of Speed, which will be use for the demonstration of this tutorial.
  • The red selection indicates the field required to change.
  • The blue selection indicates the Classic mode properties of the icon.
  • The green selection indicates what you will prefix the Icon path with, for it to use the HD version.
"_hd.w3mod:"

unknown_1.png
  • Now, if you test the map, you will see that in Classic mode, the Reforged icon will be used.
  • Likewise, if you are in Reforged mode and want to display a Classic icon, you may use the path prefixed with "war3.w3mod:"
unknown.png

• That concludes this tutorial, however there is one known bug by using this method. If you are to pause the game, it will show a default disabled button of the original Classic icon.

Last edited:
Level 18
Just want to point out that if you really wanted you can fix the bug with the menu, by changing the path in gameplay interface to disabled icons, add _hd.w3mod: before the path, however you will need to change the import path of every disabled icon in your map to contain _hd.w3mod: before it, in addition to that, you will also now need to change the active icon of every icon in used in the game for example:
units, abilities, upgrades, etc.

most likely you would need to do it with a script... but it can be done and it's not that time consuming.

here's an example of the disabled version working with icons off
unknown.png

as you can see I haven't changed the imported disabled icons yet to include the path but yeah it can be done.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Quick thoughts

Tools Required: None
Then this does not need to be mentioned, as unless it is specifically mentioned you assume there are no requirements.

I am not a fan of using the "list" layout when not actually listing things.
I've tried to reason out why, and I have rewritten it 4 times now.
The short not-to-specific reason is that I think it affects readability for various reasons I have trouble formulating with words.

You can contest me on this as it's possibly subjective.

• That concludes this tutorial, however there is one known bug by using this method.
  • If you are to pause the game, it will show a default disabled button of the original Classic icon.
I do not think images are required to get this point across.

Also the images are waay to big :(

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Similarily to UI: Save&Load Frames I feel like this tutorial can be summarized in a single sentence.

"Edit the icon path in the object editor to _hd.w3mod:<normal icon path here> or war3.w3mod:<path> for classic icons"

If you remove the pictures you realize the tutorial is indeed very short, and thus arguably too simple.

However, it is incredibly useful which is why I think it can have a place regardless.

Avoid overly-simple topics.
For example, someone explaining how to open the trigger editor may be deemed as too simple. Those tutorials usually are not needed. The exception to this rule is if enough users deem it useful.

If I had a team to consult, I would.

Approved.

How can I change the internal files of the game? so that you can play the story mode and custom campaign with all the changes

Well, the easiest method to run the campaign in reforged mode is, shockingly, turn on reforged mode. :p

I'm not sure what you mean at all. It sounds like you just want to play in Reforged mode. If you are asking how to play with Reforged graphics in classic because you do not own it, this method only works for map developers who can alter the data themselves. If you want to change the files for only yourself, you can research changing local files.