1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Unreasonable Permabans

Discussion in 'Recycle Bin' started by Wazzz, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As a lot of you may already know, the following users were permanently banned recently:

- KittyMaryJane
    - HFR
    - leet.firefox
    - Kas

Whether or not you like or dislike any of these users is irrelevant, as they were banned with insufficient warning.

Statistically speaking, leet.firefox and HFR both have been here long enough where perhaps a permaban could potentially be warranted, had they actually done anything which violated the rules or received sufficient warning that they were doing so (works best when both requirements are met).

Both KittyMaryJane and Kas, however, are new users to the site, Kas less so, but he's special. They received the same spam message that HFR, leet.firefox and I all received. It was generally ambiguous as to what we were doing wrong, and further inquiry was met with either 'I'll get back to you later' or 'here's a list of what not to do, figure out which one you were doing on your own'.

The Private Message spam was implemented by Archian, so the permabans may have been implemented by him/her. However, when it came to being permabanned, these users were issued nothing at all to say they were permabanned, and fellow admins were equally as baffled as to why these users were permabanned, as any trace of what had occurred was supposedly deleted.

I ask you this, how can we have a functioning society when people get banned without reason and they stay that way until someone finally decides 'hey, there was actually no reason for this'? Why can't they just unban these users when it is obvious that no reason was actually given until an adequate reason is given?

The typical response to that question is 'we can't do things behind our fellow admin's backs'. Well guess what, one of you did just that to the rest of you, and you're letting them get away with it because apparently it's unjustifiable to do that to someone who operates on their own agenda.

There is clearly a level of distrust between administrators such that perhaps the only solution is to remove all of the current administrative staff and enlist new admins, based on moderators who have worked around the hive for a long time and are up for the task.

Of course, if you don't like that solution, you could always unban these users until they actually deserve a ban. Otherwise, you might as well ban everyone, myself included, until it's proven that there was no actual reason for it in the first place.

Not that this would ruin hive's userbase, of course.

2. Hubcool

Hubcool

Resources:
    Resources:
    I support this.

3. Latecat

Latecat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly, as far as I know, the reason for the ban was at least partially justified, but the thing that bothers me in it is the fact that the only (and final) warning happened only like 1 or 2 days before the banning happened.

EDIT: In other words, there wasn't too much time to actually react to the warning before the hammer spoke.

4. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    not only that, supposedly reports regarding these users were deleted, as well as any trace of who actually did it

this is dangerously similar to the reward icons situation, and as far as i'm concerned, a purging of the admin staff is a lot more reasonable than a purging of the userbase

5. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    *cough* Rui *cough*

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    ALL of them? ಠ_ಠ

7. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Archian always been a bit happy with the bans, not so happy with the quetion-asking. But here's the thing: this community isn't really big or active enough anymore to warrant a purging of the ranks to replace it with fresh members. There's no one to step up to the plate. The only reason Archian is an admin right now, from what I can tell, is because he was many years ago, and has come back and Ralle decided an extra set of hands around here would be good once in a while.

TLDR: complaints about the staff are nothing new, but at this point there's hardly anybody left to care about it.

8. -Peper-

-Peper-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Purging? That maybe will be a good idea. But I remind that we're running out of moderators and the admins (the numbers were decreased significantly)

9. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    of course it's a drastic measure, but unfortunately there isn't much else we can do unless the admins can actually trust each other

naturally, we could just remove who we suspect the most (the most likely suspect being Archian), but if it's not Archian, then we would have made a terrible mistake, especially since all evidence pointing it towards anyone in particular was removed

except for the pm spam sent to us, but that's not hard evidence

anywho, i would like to see the admins actually work together for a change, it seems on the most part the ones i talk to do put in the effort, but there's at least one who is stepping in and taking unreasonable action without consulting the other admins, even going to the extent of hiding it from them

a purge is a last resort option if they don't resolve this

10. Teelo

Teelo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How about an actual word from Archian? Get his side of the story?

11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's like all hell's broken loose during my 1 day absence. Geez.

Why so many conspiracy theories? Wazzz I did tell you it was Archian.

tip
    Stfu, kthx.

Also, «oh they had just received the warning» as a defense of their cause is silly and counterintuitive. If anything, it works against them. When you're issued a warning and, with it fresh on your mind, you then move on to posting this, you're asking for it and you know it.

On top of that, Archian is Ralle's personal friend and the main aesthetics designer for Hive 2. Good luck in convincing Ralle to get rid of him.

P.S. -- Using infractions or setting a user's usergroup to Banned has the same effect. Except the latter does not issue a message. I don't like bureaucracies so I understand why he went for the other option.

12. Teelo

Teelo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you consider that a banworthy thread you really need to harden up.

13. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Watch your swearing.
    Anything that is against the rules is banworthy. He broke at least 1 rule and 1 of the lines of the code of conduct with that thread.

14. Teelo

Teelo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If swearing is against the rules here, why is it not censored?

Like I said. Harden up. Get over it. People post jokes like that on the internet all the time.

15. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  16. Teelo

Teelo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just don't make the mistake of censoring "the n word" to "Successful and Attractive African American™". That "joke" has already been done.

17. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Everything is a ban-able offense lately. Whatever happened to staff that actually knew what the term "humor" meant? Oh right, they were banned. My bad.

18. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But yet again, I do not know what they did wrong, its like big mystery.
    I heard few days ago that they insulted administrators.

And Rui is right about that. People swear too much here and do not watch their language. Some people lot of time in chat just spend on swearing.

Wazzz, which PM spam do you mean?

19. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They were permabanned? Maybe they require some time to cool their heads, but I don't think for ever.

20. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not sure who you're referring to, but in case anyone doesn't know, I NEVER stood by the banning of people such as Earth-Fury or MasterHaosis.
    People like Kimberly, MasterHaosis and PivokProject were the top of humor back in the days and this I can back up by pointing to the number of quotes they had in the Quote Database back when it existed and the high number of ++ their quotes had.

In any case, I reiterate that the “Off-Topic is not Something Else” has been here for a long time. Plus the Spam and Trolling of the code of conduct now. Just for that thread, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.