• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unofficial Rant Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
For all those who want to prove their worth succeeding me as the ranter, I will be hosting a small unofficial rant contest, probably with a prize (if Satomi can) of a custom user title of "Veteran Ranter."

Le Guidelines
-You may not enter if you are on the Ban/Warn List for flaming, spamming, or model requests in the Models forum :wink:
-Make it related to one of the folowing topics. Remember flaming will not the tolerated.
-Idiotic Mapmaking (remember the really stupid maps. worldofwar.net can give you good examples)
-Noobs (no direct examples in your rants)
-Resources (i.e. talk about skins, but not a specific skin)

Submission and rating:
PM me on submissions. You have until May 5th to complete.

I will rate on these:
-How comedical it is
-A lack of direct insults to a member
-Content and flavor
-Uniqueness
-Writing style and grammatical neatness
-Strategic use of smilies or flavored text

Level 7
uh.. :oops: I didn't really understand what you mean
so could you somehow explain it better to guys like me?
no? yes?

Level 16
Ever read my sticky topics here? Those are rants. They criticize the idiotic nature of the majority of people who do stuff. For example, idiotic mapmakers usually try to write their name with the terrain, or put periodic messages with their name in it because they are socially insecure. This makes the map horrible, because it already probably has been poorly made. See? No examples, but describes the process of the essay.

Again: This is not a resource contest, but an essay contest debating your opinion over one of the three topics: A resource from wc3sear.ch (i.e. skins/models OVERALL, not a single skin), Mapmaking, or noobs. Remember that you cannot use direct examples, because that would be flaming

Level 7
Eusira said:
Ever read my sticky topics here? Those are rants. They criticize the idiotic nature of the majority of people who do stuff. For example, idiotic mapmakers usually try to write their name with the terrain, or put periodic messages with their name in it because they are socially insecure. This makes the map horrible, because it already probably has been poorly made. See? No examples, but describes the process of the essay.

Again: This is not a resource contest, but an essay contest debating your opinion over one of the three topics: A resource from wc3sear.ch (i.e. skins/models OVERALL, not a single skin), Mapmaking, or noobs. Remember that you cannot use direct examples, because that would be flaming

I have read all your offtopic stickies but its pretty long time ago... so, I just have to do essay about noobie mapmakers or skins or whatever? easy! I will win for sure :roll:

Level 22
Okay, here's my rant. I will probably regret this later, as it is very unbecoming of a mod, but I'm definantly in the mood for it now.

I entitle this "The disease of Me Tooismtm"

What exactly is the Me Tootm virus?

What is Me Tooismtm? Its quite simple. Its the "Me Too" affect that commonly sets in after the introduction of something new to an already well-established environment or community, and members of that cvommunity rush to create their own variations of that new idea regardless of their low quality results. It works in all fields, music, art, drama, academics, recreation, computer hard & software, food, dance steps, cars, appliances, brand-name breakfast cerials...but this aspect I will solely focus on Warcraft 3.

Me Tooismtm in Warcraft 3: Is it an epedemic?

No, but it is an uncrontrolled and slow-spreading outbreak. Probably the most shining example of this is skins. Skinning in 3D gaming is very difficult work. Quite often you have to UV map already existing models just to outfit your new skins, so not only art talents, but 3D program usage would also be required. Since warcraft skins are already drawn and wrapped, 90% of the work is already done, allowing for those who do not put forth a fraction of effot to be able to partake in this activity.

When I first came here, the skins section was rather small...only about 3 pages or so. However, once the tutorials came out, and people realized just how easy it was to edit skins, Me Tooismtm hit epedemic proportions on level of that of a mass bio-chem attack on a major population center reminiscent of Saddam Hussain-era Iraq, and then hordes came in.

What seperates Me Tooismtm from simply a rush of artists to a newly discovered resourse option?

Easy. Someone submits a high quality resourse...lets just say for sake of arguement, a zombie druid skin...its an awesome skin made by somebody who put hours of effort into it. Next few days/months you see more zombie druids....only the quality is a mere fraction of the original, or is a simple recolor with "blood" spraycanned onto it. That, my friends, is Me Tooismtm at the peak of its vicious cycle within its host. The infected dont care if its better, they dont care if its worse, they dont care if it was already made by somone else, they just made it to say "Me Too!" Especially since the method of Me Tooismtm entering the body was made so much more contagious with the introduction easy-to-do-skinning-in-4-simple-steps-with-pre-made-templates to the public. A deadly pathogen it is....

Is Me Tooismtm reserved only to skinning?

No, my friends it is not. There is no section that has a strong enouph immune system against the Me Tootm disease. There is a strong vaccination, but unfortunatly it is called "elitism" (Nn.- El~eet~izum, Ref: world dictionary). Approx 250 milligrams would do the trick, but it has nasty size effect, most prominant being site death, or "web death".

Could laziness be attributed to Me Tooismtm?

Laziness is another disease altogether, but its part of the same strain, and can inhabit the same host in tandum with eachother. For a good example of this, go look at the "weaponless" models.

How sick is the map section with Me Tooismtm?

Infected badly. However there is one glimmer of hope. A skin can be made in seconds. A finished map, even disturbingly low quality, still takes a little time, so generally a map made while under the effects of Me Tooismtm will still yield better results then a skin. However that is definantly not always the case. The current outbreak of Me Tootm in mapping is among "Life of Peasant" authors. However that changes on a weekly basis. In short: A five minute map is better then a five minute skin.

So are you saying if I make, say, a Dota-syle map, only imporved over all similar maps, even built from scratch, I may be infected with Me Tootm?

Heavens, no! Inspiration has to come from somewhere. Only few have the talent to come up with completely original ideas, especially this day and age when almost every idea has been used up. On the contrary, revamping and making an idea far superior, through hard work, persperation, and dedication, can actually acheive results far exceeding that of original idea. That is not Me Tootm. That is actually it's bane. We in the mapping business call it "effort" (Nn. Eff~urt Ref: Random encyclapedia). What Me Tootm is, if you want to make a dota map, not care about its quality or how well it compares to others of the same gener, you just want to make a dota map...that is Me Tootm. Example: I personally have never made a TD map and I rarely play them, so I don't know how to make one better and more balanced then the existing high-quality ones on the site, but lets say I made a "VG TD" that completely sucked, using my unpolished ablilities at TD making, just to say I have the versitility of being a mapper that can make TD's...that would be Me Tootm knocking at my door...

Oh my god!! Is there a cure for Me Tootm??

Yes, but unfortunatly it is hard, controversial, and could fall in under elitism...it involves not submitting any resourses unless you feel it is better then the other works of the average joe. This does not, does not, DOES NOT mean not making them at all...in fact, hands on and practice is how one learns...I just mean not submitting your "test runs" to the public as independant maps...they are laced with the Me Tootm virus and can easily spread. Curing Me Tootm is exceedinly difficult given the bias people look at their own works with. A resourse can carry Me Tootm and the author may never actually be aware of it...thats why it is dangerous...that is why a 3rd party is always needed to truly rid your body of Me Tooismtm, by evaluating your work from a different perspective. Just make sure that third party has proper credentials, not victems of the ever-so-persistant N00btm virus, such as Wormskull. (dammit, there's my disqualification...oh well, mods shouldnt be allowed to participate in contests anyway...)

That's good to know, VG! Were you ever infected with Me Tootm?

Yes, I was. In fact, half of my own maps were built under the effect of Me Tootm. However I was able to cure myself. I became an elitist toward myself. I would not let myself post another map unless It was proven to be at least par with the rest of the works put out by the community. I have many finished, yet unsubmitted maps, but I most not let Me Tooismtm further fester on my computer, and must purify and bury them with the proper rituals so their vengeful spirits dont come back and haunt me.

Why is Me Tootm so less prominant in the models section then everyhwere else?

Thats due to the diffuiculty of obtaining good modeling programs. If 3dx max was as easy to get as .blp tools and MS paint, you'd expect the models section to look very much like the skins section.

Damn, where did Me Tootm come from?

Its a mutation from the Laziness virus. I failed to mention that before. Sorry. Although there are signs of it having come in contact with the N00btm virus, thus futher altering its evolution.

Is Me Tootm have the most hosts in the Wc3 community as oppsed to other RTS gaming communities?

Most seeminly yes. I was/still am a member of the C&C community. Me Tootm had its roots set in there, but it was a controlled spread. Why? Because map making programs did not come with the games. People actually had to go and dig for it. Warcraft and starcraft and the such have built-in ready to access map editors that come with the game, allowing for anyone, wether talented people with lots of time on their hands, or Me Tootm hosts that only have about 5 minutes to spare, to start mapping.

Are there any symptoms of Me Tooismtm that I should look out for?

Absolutely! Follow this list:
[ ] Are you more worried about spreading your name then you are earning it?
[ ] Do you make resourses that have already been made by others? But feel your slightly different variation will be popular?
[ ] Do you not care if you can or cannot match, let alone exceed the quality of the resourses made by others?
[ ] Are you too impatient to receive feedback on your work before submitting?
[ ] Was your resourse made out of boredom?
[ ] Are you merely editing someone else's work, but feel that the edit is sufficient enouph for the credit of the resourse to be given to you?
[ ] Do you not care if your map has anything unique about to set it apart from the rest of its kind?
[ ] Do you not care of your resourse is useful?

If you checked any of these boxes, then you are infected. If you are, immediatly pull your chair away from your computer, stand up, go to the kitchen, make yourself some very strong coffee, take an ice cold shower, slap your face a few times to wake you up, cancel all appointments to free up some spare time, then sit back down and spend all free time on ONE resourse. Not two, not three....ONE. And when you think you are finished, repeat the steps above. Repeat until you receive only favorable feedback from testers.

Is Me Tooismtm against the rules on this site?

If you actually have to ask that....

-One very late-night grouchy VGsatomi

**Me Too(tm) is a trademark of VGsatomi, no rights reserved. Only one actual name was used/harmed in the making of this post, all others names/personages do no intentionally represent anyone living, dead, or undead.

***N00b(tm) is trademark of Wormskull, ALL right reserved, and has full ownership of property and commercial copyrights.

Level 7
oh shi*i# ! I got warned about violating the wc3search rules. so, we never know if I would have won
really I did if ya don't believe ask from Elf_Wa...

congrats VG! I'll bet 5€ on you!

Level 7
VGsatomi said:
Actually this is not a real submission. I disqualified myself. Real submissions are supposed to be PMed to Eusira, as he asked. This is just an...."example."
-VGsatomi

well, 5 euros bet still stands! am sure you will win
honestly... if your "example" is so high quality one the real submission will be atleast "Eusira" quality
that was an compliment for both of you

...I still can't believe elfie actually did it...*sigh*

Level 16
On the contrary, your rant is far too beautiful to disqualify, Satomi. Plus, I am going to publish the top three rants in a thread when the contest is done.

Once again. It's okay to be on the warn list, as long as you didn't facilitate "flaming, spammg, or idiocy (requesting models)"

Of course, I may overlook your name on the warn list, so I might let you submit it

Level 6
Noob Resources
Noobs, as we know, are a species of great triumph towards themselves. In my last guide which can be found here: http://www.wc3sear.ch/viewtopic.php?t=10728
I talked about the 'Noobs' stages of life, and how they feed on the essence of forums and/or threads.
Today, I will teach you about noob resources, how they are constructed, and how noobs find great pleasure in both posting, and creating them. Welcome to my guide to a noobs resources.

Skins
Noobs have long since fought the topic on how to skin, they continuously ask 'H0w d0 *I* skIN D00d?'
After weeks of continuous help from moderators and helpful members, noobs develop a tactic all on their own. Noobs download a paint program, a very basic one mind you. Which brings us to...

The Resources
Noobs pick out a very basic (or complex) skin, depending on the noobs sence of 'humour'. The noobs open the skin in their newly downloaded free version of paint. The 'noobs' set the pixels of the paint brush to around 20% and they cover the whole skin. The noobs then submit the skin here at www.wc3sear.ch, were us members try our best to help them, not knowing that they are 'noobs' for the moment, which brings us to...

The Resources (Cont.)
The noobs do not accept the helpfull feedback that they receive from members, instead, the noobs open up their paint program, and create more skins, sometimes 10, maybe even 20, before they are dealt with.

The Moderators (Wardens)
The Wardens that protect www.wc3sear.ch are known as 'Moderators' or 'Super Moderators', their job is to enforce justice on reigning noobs. Moderators will enforce their power against the noobs if the noobs fail to obey the moderators rules. Some noobs have reincarnation, which you will find about in later guides.

------------------------------------------------------
THE END[/b]

Level 7
ElfWarfare said:
Teppana said:
...I still can't believe elfie actually did it...*sigh*

oh no? and what you think? that i have a heart? nope... or at least its corrupted

Noways, i bet my moderator postition on VG :p nah, only that i will remove Tappana's warning if he looses :p

that's deal! :twisted:
and yes I think you have a heart, now I just somehow get flamethrower to melt it down.

and Eusira your saying that I may join? I'm going to win
cause I have funny feeling that I could somehow sabotage VG's work :?

Once again. It's okay to be on the warn list, as long as you didn't facilitate "flaming, spammg, or idiocy (requesting models)"
actually you can have a bad repustation for breaking the rules without being on the ban/warn list just ask o...

anyways not a bad rant Veggie, i'd give it around a 7.5/10 since you really played around on the topic rather than really hitting it on the spot. but nonetheless, i enjoyed it. is it okay if i do a rant about people who post page long essays in the offtopic section?

Level 7
VGsatomi said:
Only 2 more days left. Surely there's more then this...

Eusira said:
You have until May 5th to complete.

what you mean 2 more days? today's 5th
do you mean more rants than this? yes there is
there is my rant!

btw. I'm not in the warning list anymore :p

Status
Not open for further replies.