• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turning Tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Im tryin to make some sort of maul game (completely from sratch), but I cant figure out how to make model to turn to face toward enemy (putting 0 in movement - speedbase prevents it from turning) . I could look at someone's map, but its protected.

Level 8
Making it non-movable will also prevent the unit from turning.

If you give the unit a Root ability that has the Data field to allow turning set to True, any unit with that Root ability will be able to turn to face its target. However, it will also be able to unroot and move around.

My traditional solution for that is to use the Root ability as the dummy for selling the tower. Change the Root ability's text and icon to look like a selling ability, and whenever the unit tries to unroot, remove it (with lag-o-rific special effects) and refund its value to its pwner.

Level 11
haloboycs said:
Im tryin to make some sort of maul game (completely from sratch), but I cant figure out how to make model to turn to face toward enemy (putting 0 in movement - speedbase prevents it from turning) . I could look at someone's map, but its protected.

i believe you could use the trigger that cause a unit's body part to face some place (i think) or give the unit 1 movemen speed, and then create a dummy to use a cripple or whtever that does 100% speed, and every second, so you can't dispell it

Level 8
The first idea doesn't work; tried it.

The second idea, unfortunately, also wouldn't work. First, you'd have to make the minimum movement speed 0, which it isn't, but even when you made it that, whenever a unit hits exactly 0 movement speed, it can no longer turn.

I had a working solution for a while that involved making the unit able to move, and creating a pathing blocker at the location of the unit so that it could only turn while attempting to move around, but I don't recommend that system at all.

If nothing else, if you don't want a Sell button (to use Root for), you can change the Root abilily to be a black icon with blank tooltips, and make a small trigger to cancel unroot whenever it's ordered to.

Level 5
well... i dont know how to replace uproot to a working sell button, i tried to come up with many different work around i can think of, none of them work...

wc3 doesnt count root/uproot as an "ability" or something. I tried "begin to cast ability", "channeling an ability", "finish casting ability" etc...

I hate dealing with trigger, anyone want to work on a few trigger for me? Then I can do the rest (copy and paste)

Level 8
VampireKB, like I suggested before, that doesn't work. The unit just can't be turned if it doesn't have a movement speed, and the only way to have them both keep a movement speed and be able to move (without the ugly blocker method I mentioned) is to use Root.

Anyway, I put together the demo map. It's actually kind of fun. It's here.

If you post questions in response to that thread, I'm more likely to see them than here. However, the map should explain all.

Level 5
thanks, but i cannot DL it anyway, it says:

ventuz, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

my account is already activited, still wont let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.