• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trying to find a couple of old (2002~2004) maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I was busy working on a game and suddenly remembered two specific, really old warcraft 3 maps. But for the life of me I can't remember what they were called or important details, only small bits.

Both were single player RPGs.

I have no idea what their names were, and I haven't been able to find any old map lists with my googling (RIP the old mapsnmods site).

Map 1:
* Very large map, famous at the time for having hundreds of triggers (a big deal back in those early days). * The land in the story was called "Iskan".
* A few minutes into the map, as you walk past a tree it gets struck by lightning and burns down.
* You could control multiple heroes as well as hire units.
* The map had a "travel" mechanic, which hid all of your units (except for your main hero) until combat.
* The main character used the Medivh model (I think)

Map 2:
* Similar to map 1 above, this map had a unique travel system. Only your main hero would walk around on the main map. Units on the main map represented *parties*, not individual units.
* Combat system: related to the travel system, when starting a fight your camera would go to a small arena on the side of the map (various arenas for the different terrains, parts of the map) where your entire party would fight an enemy group.
* You controlled multiple heroes.
* A secondary hero with the Jaina model had an ability that created 3 breath of fire animations in a circle around her (the resultant effect was a flame nova), which was memorable because at the time no maps really had custom abilities.

Alternatively, if anyone can point out where I would better be able to look for maps from that time. These are from before hive and epicwar.

Thanks!

Level 25
I found them!

For those curious, they are:

#1 - Season of Uncertainty: The Dark Pheonix by Gravano - found a download link on epicwar
and #2 - The Legend of Magnador by BlueEagle - Seems like it was also uploaded to hive

I trawled through archived pages of maps.warcraftiii.net on the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) and found the first name (Season of Uncertainty) in the top 20 RPG maps list archived June 2003. Googling that led me to this blog post by RDZ, which mentioned Legend of Magnador.

Status
Not open for further replies.