• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tropical Tag 2.6b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
showoffpic5vh.jpg

Map Overview:

A revolutionary Tag game that seeks to set a new standard for the genre. Adds many new dynamics not found in any other Tag, and eliminates a plethora of problems found in almost all others. This map has been worked on extensivly by a number of people since November 2005. Tropical Tag is a variation of Sheep Tag. The basic hunters hunt down prey concept is maintained. The differences are seen in the variety of things that the Fish and Naga are able to do or build. Different environments also play a major role in this deviation. Tropical Tag is more complex then Sheep Tag which helps to preserve its lasting appeal.

Features:

-Pick from one of six Fish or four Naga.
-Each custom unit has their own unique abilities and characteristics.
-A beautiful terrain enchances the gameplay experience.
-No memory leaks, this map will not build up lag as you play.
-JASS enchanced spells add to the uniqueness of abilities.
-A host of common Tag problems fixed. This includes boring hunters, abusable farm locations, lack of lasting appeal and many others.
-A very polished map. You will not find tooltip errors or hotkey conflicts here.
-The game has gone through several months of balancing, and at this point is mostly balanced.
-A large tech tree for Fish buildings. With extensive upgrades for a variety of base farms, you have several different paths you can take when building.
-The Fish have access to many different items via a buildable item shop which yeilds yet another element to Fish gameplay.
-The Naga also have access to their own item shop. Unlike other tags, the items available to the Naga are quite fun (Blink, Fish Hook, Stasis Traps etc.)
-Custom fog, water color, ambient sounds, shadows and critters enhance gaming environment
-The environment is supported by periodic random weather effects.
-An intimidating volcano adds an interesting element of randomness to the gameplay.
-There is now a greater importance to dying/saving for Fish which has been influenced by punishment and rewards.
-Has been updated since November 2005 and will continue to be until completion.

Credits:

-Thanks to Tarano for quality initial trigger work and helping me get this project off the ground.
-Thanks to Jimpy for amazing terrain work. This map could not have gotten nearly this far without you.
-Thanks to emjlr3 for a lot of trigger help. A good deal of things in this map wouldn't be here or be as good without your help.
-Thanks to Darkbuddha and Eldorquo for providing many suggestions for new content and balance. Your help in testing was very beneficial as well.
-Thanks to the members of TheHelper.net for providing feedback and various help throughout the map update process.

Pictures:

Download here: http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=8872

Level 2
Karawasa, you are a very very talented Map maker. I MUST download that version. It looks really awesome. I recommend to evaluate the map size to EPIC.

~ Oh yeah Sheep God, it is probably impossible to do that map unless you really think us Map Makers are capable to make a game like that. To make something that resembles Sheep Tag in Space would need the StarCraft Campaign Editor. But, it is possible....just will take a few 65 years to make a new world editor yada yada.

P.S. - There isn't a P.S. here. REMEMBER that!

DragoonSpawn said:
~ Oh yeah Sheep God, it is probably impossible to do that map unless you really think us Map Makers are capable to make a game like that. To make something that resembles Sheep Tag in Space would need the StarCraft Campaign Editor. But, it is possible....just will take a few 65 years to make a new world editor yada yada.

I have a quote from Vg to prove otherwise. There have been some maps that are able to make space travel (my personal favorite is the popular Parasite).

VGsatomi said:
The world editor is very expansive...I've seen so many different kinds of game....FF style RPGs complete with pop up menus, random battles, turn-based fight....space invaders, pac man, pong, tetris, chess, sports games, 1st and 3rd person shooters, overhead scrolling shoot'em ups, traditional text-type RPGs, racing games, various mini game maps and so much more...

Testing out map now, looks alot better than the first (your terrian was atrocious in the first, this looks like its pretty awesome now! Hope you added some things to see submerged units finally...)

Level 3
Matt540 said:
Testing out map now, looks alot better than the first (your terrian was atrocious in the first, this looks like its pretty awesome now! Hope you added some things to see submerged units finally...)

Yes, this version is much better looking then previous ones. There is not even a comparison, 2.2 owns 2.1.

Thanks for testing it out, I look forward to your feedback.

I apologize for comments in previous thread, I hope your map works out. Space travel sounds cool. The only reason why I got upset, was that it seemed like you were hijacking my thread. But past is past so its all good.

Level 2
When I mean evaluate the map size to EPIC, I mean make the map the biggest size possible( I forgot what number is was ). I mean, your game is like invincible. No other tag( ESPECIALLY THE OLD SHEEP TAG ) Cannot outwit your game. I also like the sky image. Please tell me how you did it.

~ Sheep God, I know there are alot of things you can do with boundaries and stuff, but if you want little sparkles in space( Just like SC ) you have to download it somewhere like....it just can't get through me...
Anyways, to have space travel, wouldn't you have to make the map size a little bigger?( Please do not make it like the retarded BLINK TAG )

Anyways, to have space travel, wouldn't you have to make the map size a little bigger?( Please do not make it like the retarded BLINK TAG )

Yeah VERY large right now...I still have plenty of unsused room...so I might shrink it...but right now its still practicly epic size with all the many hdinig spots.

Anyway, im still not done testing your map yet, give me some more time.

Level 4
awesome stuff, hope the sheep in space tag thing works out, but the tropical tag.... AWESOME thats rediculasly good looking, nice screen shots, and good terraining this will be the best :)

Level 6
Love your terraining, and the fish are cool. I have a problem with the naga, though: they're just too powerful.

The items like fish hook and kelen's dagger are way too cheap, it lets them bypass the fish's blocks and immediately kill the fish itself. Also, you REALLY need to look at the revanent, it's far too powerful. I mean, really, that beam can trash a whole field of blocks in one shot, and what it doesn't trash the splash will make quick work of. The crusher, too, his ability too make fully-functional copies of himself and completely trap the fish isn't very fair either. Every single game I made I lost all but 2 or 3 of the fish within 15 mins. The fish are just at too much of a disadvantage, and they don't like to stick around when they know that no matter how much they build they could have it trashed in seconds, or bypassed completely.

Imbalances aside, I ran into a bug where, while I was naga, I suddenly couldn't see myself. My allies couldn't see me either. I could only see the middle, my allies, and wherever I set a sentry ward down. Might want to look at your triggers for something that'd cause this.

Level 3
I know the problem with not being able to be seen, fixed for next version.

As for balance, I have heard many people say that Fish are too powerful. Really, it depends on the quality of players. I win regardless of what side I am on. Its hard to tell which side is stronger though because I hear people say that Fish are stronger and some say that Naga are stronger :(.

Level 7
In my opinion the nagas are just a lil too hard to play alone. I plaqyed 1 naga vs 3 murlocs and couldnt find the fish wherever they were without them giving hints. ALso the water elemental dude shouldnt be able to run faster than the nagas even in the water. ALso you should maybe change the max level from 10 to lets say 15-20? The tomb of power is just a lil too good. Maybe reduce it to 350 gold and 1 level gained

Level 2
Keh. All of you are saying that Fish are more powerful or Naga are more powerful. ( Oh yeah, You should at least play with 2 fish the reason being to scout out more in some time ) The thing you're all forgetting is that the performance of the game depends on the qualities of the player. :? Stop complaining already! Karawasa worked hard to make such a good map and all he gets is complaints on the levels,attacks,and much more when it is already perfected.

Sure the Fish may build quickly and save quickly but I've played it with many Fish and I just had too much fun! The Naga might be powerful, but their attacks are perfected to take at least 3-4 strikes before killing a regular Farm. Also, the Fishing Rod is not too cheap either. It's hard to catch a fish and you might want to spend your money on one of the more Team Helping items like the Horn that gives lots of auras.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for calling Karawasa's map with complaints and stuff while you guys just don't play too good or hell even play good at all !

P.S. - Karawasa, I hope that you can forgive these people for all te harsh things they said that aren't even true.

Level 6
Harsh? My criticism was constructive, I told him what I thought was wrong specifically. It's not like I just came in and shouted "YOUR MAP IS TEH SUK IT SO IMBLANCED!!!11!1". I doubt my criticism somehow hurt Karawasa's feelings, buddy, so don't tell me that I should be ashamed of myself. I'll descide when to be ashamed of myself, and now is not a time.

And besides, I have a right to criticize the map if I want to. Heard of freedom of speech? Ya. So you voice your opinion and we'll voice ours, but do not tell me that my opinion shouldn't be voiced or is any less important than yours.

P.S. You can stop trying to kiss Karawasa's ass. It's pretty pathetic.

Night Stryke said:
And besides, I have a right to criticize the map if I want to. Heard of freedom of speech? Ya. So you voice your opinion and we'll voice ours, but do not tell me that my opinion shouldn't be voiced or is any less important than yours.

There is no freedom of speech online.

THis is one of the main reasons you can see plenty of people who hate me on this site...

Level 4
Harsh? My criticism was constructive, I told him what I thought was wrong specifically. It's not like I just came in and shouted "YOUR MAP IS TEH SUK IT SO IMBLANCED!!!11!1". I doubt my criticism somehow hurt Karawasa's feelings, buddy, so don't tell me that I should be ashamed of myself. I'll descide when to be ashamed of myself, and now is not a time.

OWNED

Level 3
Version 2.4 is out!

http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=8544

-Fixed some terrain issues
-New cameras
-Fixed Naga Tracer
-Fixed countdown leaver endgame bug
-Reworked Curse of the Murloc (fixed the bug too)
-Reworked Frog
-Reworked Wisps
-Introduced new mandatory teamplay item for Naga
-Increased role of Gold Bank Reveal(Now lvl 2, lvl 3 and 4 % higher)
-Reduced CD on Naga Tracer
-Buffed Lvl 3 and Lvl 4 Gold Farms
-Removed Minigame
-Buffed Water Elementals Attack
-Buffed Cloak of Flames to 25 damage
-Nerfed Ice Shards damage to 100/200/300 from 100/225/350

Level 4
In my opinion the hunters are too weak, i need 15 seks to kill a tower and the turtle build up 1 in 10 secs to the upgrade I am about to kill ...

and the creep killing is senseless, instead of hunting all go hunt those creeps... for one level.

BUt at all I must say it's well done

Level 6
Hmm, seems there's something wrong here. Twice in a row orange and purple got disconnected at the start of the game, said it was an error that shut WC3 down. Orange was the same guy both times, but purple wasn't. Might want to look at the triggers.

Also, something came up last game, the frogs could make a second one of themselves. I was naga so I didn't see exactly how, but they did something to make a 2nd wisp when they were captured, then both were rescued. Only the frogs could do this, and when one frog was caught both of them disappeared so it's something they did post-capture. Sorry that I don't have details but they didn't feel like sharing them with a naga, so that's all I've got. Might want to look into that, too.

Not sure if you fixed it or not in this version, but I observed something like the first problem in 2.3. Sometimes at the start of the game it would show the message that someone had left the game then the fish would win, not even a second into the game. I haven't played enough games of 2.4 yet to see if it's still there, as it seems pretty random, but it doesn't seem your fixes included it so I thought I'd bring it up.

Level 3
Night Stryke said:
Hmm, seems there's something wrong here. Twice in a row orange and purple got disconnected at the start of the game, said it was an error that shut WC3 down. Orange was the same guy both times, but purple wasn't. Might want to look at the triggers.

Orange being the same guy twice definetly makes me think it was his fault.

Purple, that is strange. There is nothing in the triggers that would crash someone, especially not just purple or orange.

I appreciate you bringing it up, but knowing the triggers, I just have to attribute it to random bad luck. Especially since I have never encountered it.

Level 6
Ok, I take that back about the duplication being frogs only. After several more games I've seen crabs, sea dragons, and others do it too. Just happened that that game the only two who did it were frogs. But I can still say that they do it after being captured, perhaps via a mirror image or something to that effect.

Level 3
Lol, I'll start doing that :).

Anyway,

Alright, for 2.5 I want to introduce game modes!

So far I have two modes:

Coin Mode: Gold banks are disabled completly. Instead, gold coins are spawned around the map randomly and these are the income for Fish.

Flag Mode: A flag is spawned. The Fish who picks it up gets insane cash flow. However, everyone becomes an enemy of the fish and gets vision of him.

But, I want more modes! So please, brainstorm ideas and let me hear your thoughts!

Level 3
Version 2.5 will also feature a new spell for the Sea Giant, replacing that armor reducing one.

There is an additional game mode, short mode. It halves the time, doubles the gold and xp, halves the building time and building hp too. Should be intense!

Coin mode is changed too: It still spawns coins like before but now you lose 5 gold a second and if you run out of gold you die!

I have some custom sounds and all the tooltips and such have been redone in full color!

Releasing it this weekend. Its going to be sweet!

Level 2
I've been on a fan-site( not the sites that are about the fans that blow air :? ). Anyways back to the topic, Karawasa's map is excellent and I do say it is better than Sheep Tag, the game that is overpopular and was getting pretty old a long time ago,. Although, I hardly see it hosted on BNET Azeroth( U.S. East ). I think it'd be better if it was popular than seeing it only 1 time every week.

P.S. - In the Summer, I might be trying out Diablo and Diablo 2 so don't expect my presence on BNET or McDonalds, Bara Bum Bum Bah I'm loving it(not).

Level 3
DragoonSpawn said:
I've been on a fan-site( not the sites that are about the fans that blow air :? ). Anyways back to the topic, Karawasa's map is excellent and I do say it is better than Sheep Tag, the game that is overpopular and was getting pretty old a long time ago,. Although, I hardly see it hosted on BNET Azeroth( U.S. East ). I think it'd be better if it was popular than seeing it only 1 time every week.

P.S. - In the Summer, I might be trying out Diablo and Diablo 2 so don't expect my presence on BNET or McDonalds, Bara Bum Bum Bah I'm loving it(not).

What you can do is host it and spread the word about it as much as possible. The more people that try the game, the more popular it will get!

Level 2
i have to say i really like this map. its one of the better tag games ive played. the only complaint i have is the blink dagger that nagas can buy. its not so expensive for what it does. there really is no hiding if the nagas have a blink dagger, they can just blink into anyones base and easily kill.

other than that the map is fantastic and very fun

i try to host it when i can :lol:

Level 3
K.O.S-M.O.S said:
i have to say i really like this map. its one of the better tag games ive played. the only complaint i have is the blink dagger that nagas can buy. its not so expensive for what it does. there really is no hiding if the nagas have a blink dagger, they can just blink into anyones base and easily kill.

other than that the map is fantastic and very fun

i try to host it when i can :lol:

I am glad you like it, and I am delighted to hear you are hosting it!

As for Blink Dagger, the trick is to build your base so that there is only one space between farms. Naga cannot Blink into your base if they would be unable to move around in it.

Level 2
am glad you like it, and I am delighted to hear you are hosting it!

As for Blink Dagger, the trick is to build your base so that there is only one space between farms. Naga cannot Blink into your base if they would be unable to move around in it.

:shock: im stil new to the map, that strategy had never occured to me thx ... oh and i forgot ot mention i really like the terrain :lol:

Level 3

I present, after much work and waiting:

Version 2.5

-Added in three game modes, -coin, -short and -flag
-All tooltips enhanced with color
-Custom sound events added
-Fixed a few terrain issues, also redid blink abuse handeling
-Fixed wisps blocking Naga in Jail
-Undid epic strike nerf
-Slightly slowed down Naga Tracer trail
-Slight buff to Naga xp gain
-Buffed speed of Wave Jump