1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Troll Totem Hydra

Submitted by Misha
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
weeell.. this is a "troll skiff" thingie i was doing for Kyrbi0, according to the ideas he was sketching, but to be honest, i'd say that it ended up as something a lot more different than what he was imagining :xxd: still, i tried to make something with totems that shoot darts and have some voodoo-like things holding them together.. =P aand, me being confused, i first created a whole naval version instead of the ground one :ogre_hurrhurr:

Although, that is fixed, so.. enjoy it, dude =P

EDIT: I decided to shorten, rewrap, and further tweak the land version, hopefully it feels a lill more like a troll craft, while having enough TC and 'nurnies' (whatever that means)
I kept the naval version as it is, as i wanted it :p

Soundset for these, Definitely 'Spirit of Vengeance' >:D because that's what the 'avatar of vengeance' uses. (warden ultimate spell)

That is all, folks.. give credits to Misha if you use these, or.. come get da voodoo >=P

Keywords:
troll, dart, skiff, totem, hydra, for, Kyrbi0, with, two, variations, for, land, and, water, =P
Contents

Troll Totem Hydra (Model)

Troll Totem Hydra (Model)

Reviews
16:26, 21st Aug 2014 MiniMage: It's a little funky looking, but nothing that hinders its approval. Personally I think it would've looked neat to have a troll there, but maybe that's just me. Anyhow, approved.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hey, this is definitely looking better. : )

I think you've definitely knocked out #1 and #3 (I might wish for something different on those ballista-arms, but I can't think of anything for them either. :<...). Good find with that Ancient texture (seems weird, almost 'stony', but at least it's different than a tileset tree), and I like those bits of the Guldan blood-runes.

I fear that #2 (The Shortening (lol, sounds like a movie title about angry midgets xD)) is still in need of some help... Perhaps I can find time to whip up that WIP you were asking me about.

Feel free to keep the heck outta that water-version, though. That's all yours (creative rights & all that).

Definitely good & getting better!

2. Voidwalker

Voidwalker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love the idea of a 'mystical' siege engine for the trolls. Could also explain how it is capable of moving with one hind wheel alone :p

Now, the real question is, how can one make it fire from three different points at the same time, as the Attack animation implies?

3. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think the best that can be done is to use barrage ability (siege engine), I don't think you can have 3 separate points for missile origin so best you can do is try to set it in center of model. Ok unless maybe you attach 2 unelectable units where the other two totems are.

4. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    it's voodoo that holds it together and balanced :p 'nuff said

as for the attacking, well.. you can make a 3-missile model, or, you can trigger two 'dummy units' to follow the unit and shoot the same, or other units, since i think you can make two side-heads face whatever the dummy units are attacking

though i need to know if the option with turning side-heads is a thing, haven't done anything with WE in a while oO

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The only thing I know about "head-turning to face attackers" is using the Root bone, like the NE Ancients; and I don't think that can be done more than once.

Or really, I have no idea about how it can be used.

6. Voidwalker

Voidwalker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All I can think of is giving it two Spell animations, each consisting in lifting either of the side "heads", maybe with some colored particles coming out of the mouth or a glow effect. But that would mean giving the model a preconceived role as a unit, which could come off as restrictive to whoever would add it to their map.

Another idea is modifying the Attack animation so that the side heads would both light up upon attacking, giving the impression that they're charging the central head for firing, as if they were some sort of voodoo capacitors. But that would mean applying some blatant pseudo-lore to hand-wave the engine's shortcomings.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    "Restrictive"? I mean it's nice when a model can be used for more than one thing (i.e. a model with Dissipate & Decay anims, so both Hero & Unit), but really, a model can only do so much. Besides, what else could this be??

I love this idea for some reason. :p

See, the whole thing stemmed from just having a set of dart-shooting discs stacked on a mech (wheel(s), scoop, pontoons, etc). Misha decided to go for this "totem hydra" thing, which is very different but admittedly cool (actually waaaaay back in the beginning, I wanted to have Trollish Mech(s) that were "voodoo-powered", so it's kinda funny to come full circle :p).

But anyway, the whole thing is just a "Mass Ranged Support"; with a modified Barrage it can shoot up to 6 sets of deadly, high-speed/low-damage darts at enemies. And because of how "Multishot" works, it makes it look like each head is shooting.

But you're idea is cool, too. :p

8. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    what i meant was simply if triggers could make the 'hands' (aka side-heads) face towards what the dummy units are attacking. I mean.. chest can face something, head can as well.. just unsure about hands

if not, oh well.. with dummy units, it'll still fire 3 projectiles, just at single target