1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

To the Bitter End

Submitted by Soul Reaver
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

To the Bitter End
v1.0.07
Created by Soul Reaver

[​IMG]

Introduction:

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

A story-driven, single-player action RPG, "To the Bitter End" has been over six years in the making and features an original setting and with completely original characters, abilities, items and spells.

Control a small group of legendary heroes as they travel throughout the Plane of Ithia, battling the forces of the tyrant sorcerer Morganem over eight Chapters and two cinematic-only maps.

Be prepared to react quickly to changing battlefield conditions and use your abilities strategically to counter whatever the enemy throws at you. Face a variety of challenges, from sneaking out of a prison to taking on a whole army head-on to duelling enemy immortals one on one.

During your battles, gain experience and grow in power to truly superhuman levels. Wield abilities that can break the backs of armies. But beware, for your foes are powerful and relentless enough to be a match even for your mighty heroes.

Be prepared for a challenge as you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and conquer enemies that seemed insurmountable.

Now also available:
To the Bitter End Manual

[​IMG]
(Click the image to view, or right-click to save)

A lovingly-crafted illustrated manual, detailing not only basic gameplay instructions, but also delving into the background stories of the campaign's setting, heroes, villains, and monsters.

Prologue Cinematic

Screenshots

[​IMG]
The Sphere of Annihilation spell obliterates everything in Soul Reaver's path.

[​IMG]
A companion consumed by vampiric madness.

[​IMG]
The companions fighting side-by-side against Morganem's forces.

Readme File

To the Bitter End
Version: 1.0.07

Single Player Action RPG/Campaign

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

Official Site:
http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

Put the .w3n file into your Warcraft III 'Campaigns' folder.

You can play the game by starting The Frozen Throne, then selecting 'Single Player', 'Custom Campaign', and then navigating to the campaign titled 'To the Bitter End' and selecting it.

It helps to have your video settings for Warcraft III set to high quality, or some custom skins in some of the campaign might look a little... weird.

Note that To the Bitter End is more hardware intensive than a standard game of Warcraft III, so your computer will need to exceed Warcraft III's minimum system requirements to run smoothly.

Difficulty:
-----------

To the Bitter End is supposed to be very difficult.

However, for those finding it simply too tough, as of version 0.7.04, I have added in variable difficulty levels, and the mechanics of this were revamped in v1.0.07. Once in-game, press Enter to bring up the chat window, then type in 'easy', 'medium' or 'hard' (without quotation marks) to change the difficulty at any time. Difficulty persists until you enter a command to change it again, even between Chapters. The default difficulty is 'hard'.

Easier difficulties will (usually) reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you inflict from all sources. In-game stats and tooltips will not reflect this change however.

Remember though: real heroes play on hard!

Music:
------

If for some crazy reason you want to turn off the in-game music for a given Chapter, type 'music off' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game. To turn it back on, type in 'music on'.

This special command is required because the way that 'To the Bitter End' handles the in-game music sometimes prevents Warcraft III's in-built volume control from properly affecting the music volume.

Note that even with the 'music off' command, music will still play in a few key cutscenes.

Other Notes:
------------

For further info and an extensive manual, check the 'official site' at www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

This is the full version of To the Bitter End, and contains all ten Chapters (two of which are cinematics-only):

Prologue: Shadows Rising
Chapter I: Dark Dawn
Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
Chapter III: Juggernaut
Chapter IV: Heart of Ice
Chapter V: Reunion
Chapter VI: Harbingers of War
Chapter VII: Grim Harvest
Chapter VIII: The Bitter End
Epilogue: New Beginnings

To check the version number of your campaign, type 'version' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game and it will display (or if nothing displays, then your version is definitely out-of-date). The newest versions are always available on the official site.

Although I am solely responsible for creating this map, several central character featured in this campaign were envisaged by the writers at The Administorum (http://theadministorum.yuku.com/) and its newest incarnation, the Administorum 2.0 (The Administorum - Index).

A word on cinematics:
---------------------

It is possible to skip any of the cinematics, just press ESC.

You are advised to watch the cinematics at least once. They will often give you instructions as to what to do next and offer clues as to what to expect. Making sense of the game plot without them would be pretty difficult.

One 'bug' that occurs if you skip the cinematics is that any items or abilities that might have 'cooled down' and become available over the course of the cinematic will now not do this. This means that if you want to use those items/abilities often, you may have to wait around more... and if there's a timer counting down while you wait, that might not be advisable. This isn't a major thing, but it does mean that the game might be slightly more difficult if you skip the cinematics.

If you want to be sure to experience the game how it was meant to be played, then don't skip the cinematics. That's how I planned the level out and how I spent the most time testing it.

Hints/Notes:
------------

Use your quest log if unsure of what to do next... that's what it's there for.

Read the tooltips if you want to know what an ability or item does. In fact, this is strongly recommended.

The Sphere of Annihilation and Cataclysm abilities are appropriately named, because they will pretty much obliterate ANYTHING in the target area. That includes things you might prefer to keep un-obliterated, such as yourself.

Your items are re-usable. However, they have long cooldown times. Save them for when you need them, and then unleash hell.

To the Bitter End is very unforgiving. SAVE OFTEN.

You can find Chapter-specific hints (should you need them) at the official site at http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend.

Don't expect to find Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series in this game. I've been using the name Soul Reaver for my RPG alter-ego since long before even the first Blood Omen came out. The Soul Reaver in this map is an original character.

Credits:
--------

To the Bitter End designed, written and created by:
Andy Krieg

Title screen and concept art by:
Stephen Cousins

Chinese localization by:
Heishimo (He)

Russian localization by:
Кирляндия

Original Character design:

'Soul Reaver' by Andy Krieg
'Fei Serumen' by Anthony Passmore
'Cameron Aileron' by Sean Britton
'Kitharsis' by Bryon Laird
'Sera Poi' by Anthony Di Cesare
'Slayer' by Eric Rodseth
Additional characters by Andy Krieg

Music:

Title:
'Kalki (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Prologue:
'Pompeii' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter I:
'The Wretched' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter II:
'The Becoming' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter III:
'Tikal' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter IV:
'Nineveh' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter V:
'Karma' by Kamelot

Chapter VI:
'We're in this Together' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter VII:
'Welcome Within' by Godsmack
'Ultra' by KMFDM

Chapter VIII:
'Yamiiro no Yume/Anger (edit)' by Kasamutso Kouji
'Missing Time' by MDFMK
'Kalki' by E.S. Posthumus
'Ashielf Pi' by E.S. Posthumus
'Kuvera (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Epilogue:
'Indra/Arise (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Additional Concept art donated by:
Chris Oldland
Tom Hering

'Void Breach' based on 'Black Hole' model by:
WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Weapon models extracted by:
Larc

Hero Glow model by:
Assassin_lord

Damage Detection based on GUI Friendly Damage Detection v1.2 by:
Weep

Special Thanks to:
The Administorum
Blizzard Entertainment
The Hive Workshop
Filefront
Warnicro
You, for playing

Extra Special Thanks:
Ji Xu

Tell me what you think! E-mail me (meet_soul_reaver@hotmail.com) if you have comments or questions about 'To The Bitter End', the Multiverse, or Soul Reaver.

Please do not redistribute or modify these files without my permission. These files are not to be sold for profit.

Keywords:
Action, RPG, Campaign, Epic, Fantasy, Hard, To the Bitter End, TTBE, Cinematic, Story, Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis, Sera Poi,
Contents

To the Bitter End (Campaign)

Reviews
Date: 12:36:51 13-Nov-11 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Approved 6/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Useful Links: If you have any complaints or questions about your map, please make a thread here:Map Resource...
  1. JMitchy

JMitchy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've not completed this campaign though I did play through a few levels a while back and I just want to say that this is so inspiring to me. I can clearly see that this is (was?) so much of a passion project for you, with a lot of heart and soul put into it both inside and outside of the game. I'm working on a similar project that I also hope to upload to the site soon(tm) that is also very dear to me, and seeing projects like this on the site really makes me happy that there's so many people who enjoy these projects :)

Congratulations on a successful campaign!
    5/5 rating

2. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pretty decent campaign, though the interest in whats going on sort of tapers off towards the end.

3. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Did you finish it? And if no, at which point did you stop?

4. Edusx

Edusx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allí right

Very well, I have given an opportunity to your campaign and with respect to my previous criticism, this one is obsolete because I play an old version.
    Here are my points.

-the story itself, despite being acceptable, I did not like the idea of raising the concept of void right at the last level, during the adventure.

-Lore is well stated in the manual, it hurts that the game experience is not reflected by not being in it.

-I've noticed a great balance throughout the game, no longer crashing at level 6 and 7 nor is it slow to load.

-the final level lacks more balance since it ends more than 25 times saved and loading.

-in level 6 there is no chronometer to know at what moment the drak kul appear in large quantities.

-It sometimes bothers me the idea of depending on the life of an allied hero not to lose, what luck that is only in level 1 and 5.

-The final cinematography I loved and I liked the outcome and work that gave.

@Soul Reaver Thank you for responding to my critic, it was the clearest and most consistent with respect to other casuals.

PS: I will change my score.

5. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for taking time to write a thought-out reply. I'll respond to some of your points below (other readers please note, spoilers ahead):

-the story itself, despite being acceptable, I did not like the idea of raising the concept of void right at the last level, during the adventure.
    -- Aside from the manual, the Void is already introduced in the Prologue cinematic, with Morganem contacting and summoning the Void Children (this act actually sets in motion the other major events of the story). Its increasing importance and threat is reflected in-game by the heroes facing progressively more (and more powerful) Void Children. And Chapter IV already demonstrates the fact that the Void/Void Children have sinister goals of their own in that they end up turning against their Dharuk 'allies' - this is crystallized further by what the dying Dharuk Warmaster tells you in Chapter VII (that Morganem has basically cast the Dharuk aside and only relies on the Void Children). It should become clear to players that the Void poses a very real and growing threat throughout both the gameplay and the story, even though its exact nature isn't revealed until Chapter VIII.

-Lore is well stated in the manual, it hurts that the game experience is not reflected by not being in it.
    -- One of the main things that I tried to do with To the Bitter End was to avoid too many instances of people laying out lore details unless it actually served a practical purpose for the characters. The heroes don't learn the details of Dustwalker's past because, frankly, it doesn't matter to them or to him to explain it. The same goes for a lot of the other details. What the lore does do is explain a lot of character's motivations, but they aren't required to understand the overall plot (ie, it helps explain "why" some things happen, but it's not needed to understand "what" is happening). Going into that level of detail would have slowed the story down significantly, for little benefit, and in many cases would have been nonsensical (since the heroes are almost under some sort of time pressure). By the same token, some players don't really like lore and don't want long stretches of unnecessary lore explained to them, so To the Bitter End was designed to provide just the key parts of the story in the game itself for those people, while allowing lore buffs to read up on the background details in the manual if they want to.

-I've noticed a great balance throughout the game, no longer crashing at level 6 and 7 nor is it slow to load.
    -- Glad to hear that. There were some very early builds that had continuous crashing but that got fixed a long time ago.

-the final level lacks more balance since it ends more than 25 times saved and loading.
    -- True, Chapter 8 is extremely tough. That said, it CAN be done with a lot less than that, but requires a lot of experience and a small measure of luck too. The key thing is that almost everything that the final boss does has a counter - it's just hard to pull it off, and you typically have to first find out what the counter is (which you likely won't find out straight away).

-in level 6 there is no chronometer to know at what moment the drak kul appear in large quantities.
    -- No, there isn't, but it's a pretty generous timer - enough for you to bust everything and rest everyone up. Previous missions, like Chapter IV, also have 'implicit' timers like this one, so it's not a new mechanic. By now it should be clear that the game will punish you if you stay in one place too long.

-It sometimes bothers me the idea of depending on the life of an allied hero not to lose, what luck that is only in level 1 and 5.
    -- Yeah, this I can understand. Admittedly, I've never had Hektor die in Chapter I - he'll only die if you do extremely badly and don't do anything to distract his attackers. Otherwise he holds his ground quite well. Chapter V is a lot harder, but the first instance is easily avoided by charging immediately, and the second can be by not letting the allied heroes wander away too far from where your own heroes can support them. Their AI is designed to retreat if they get badly hurt, but if you abandon them to the point where they get surrounded or stunlocked, then yes, they'll die. Keeping them alive is something that players need to account for as part of their strategy.

-The final cinematography I loved and I liked the outcome and work that gave.
    -- Thank you, I worked a long time on the final cinematics.

Thanks for going to bat for my campaign. But just thought I'd correct you on this one thing: it's 8 playable chapters, not 6. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019