Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

To the Bitter End

Submitted by Soul Reaver
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

To the Bitter End
v1.0.07
Created by Soul Reaver

[​IMG]

Introduction:

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

A story-driven, single-player action RPG, "To the Bitter End" has been over six years in the making and features an original setting and with completely original characters, abilities, items and spells.

Control a small group of legendary heroes as they travel throughout the Plane of Ithia, battling the forces of the tyrant sorcerer Morganem over eight Chapters and two cinematic-only maps.

Be prepared to react quickly to changing battlefield conditions and use your abilities strategically to counter whatever the enemy throws at you. Face a variety of challenges, from sneaking out of a prison to taking on a whole army head-on to duelling enemy immortals one on one.

During your battles, gain experience and grow in power to truly superhuman levels. Wield abilities that can break the backs of armies. But beware, for your foes are powerful and relentless enough to be a match even for your mighty heroes.

Be prepared for a challenge as you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and conquer enemies that seemed insurmountable.

Now also available:
To the Bitter End Manual

[​IMG]
(Click the image to view, or right-click to save)

A lovingly-crafted illustrated manual, detailing not only basic gameplay instructions, but also delving into the background stories of the campaign's setting, heroes, villains, and monsters.

Prologue Cinematic

Screenshots

[​IMG]
The Sphere of Annihilation spell obliterates everything in Soul Reaver's path.

[​IMG]
A companion consumed by vampiric madness.

[​IMG]
The companions fighting side-by-side against Morganem's forces.

Readme File

To the Bitter End
Version: 1.0.07

Single Player Action RPG/Campaign

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

Official Site:
http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

Put the .w3n file into your Warcraft III 'Campaigns' folder.

You can play the game by starting The Frozen Throne, then selecting 'Single Player', 'Custom Campaign', and then navigating to the campaign titled 'To the Bitter End' and selecting it.

It helps to have your video settings for Warcraft III set to high quality, or some custom skins in some of the campaign might look a little... weird.

Note that To the Bitter End is more hardware intensive than a standard game of Warcraft III, so your computer will need to exceed Warcraft III's minimum system requirements to run smoothly.

Difficulty:
-----------

To the Bitter End is supposed to be very difficult.

However, for those finding it simply too tough, as of version 0.7.04, I have added in variable difficulty levels, and the mechanics of this were revamped in v1.0.07. Once in-game, press Enter to bring up the chat window, then type in 'easy', 'medium' or 'hard' (without quotation marks) to change the difficulty at any time. Difficulty persists until you enter a command to change it again, even between Chapters. The default difficulty is 'hard'.

Easier difficulties will (usually) reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you inflict from all sources. In-game stats and tooltips will not reflect this change however.

Remember though: real heroes play on hard!

Music:
------

If for some crazy reason you want to turn off the in-game music for a given Chapter, type 'music off' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game. To turn it back on, type in 'music on'.

This special command is required because the way that 'To the Bitter End' handles the in-game music sometimes prevents Warcraft III's in-built volume control from properly affecting the music volume.

Note that even with the 'music off' command, music will still play in a few key cutscenes.

Other Notes:
------------

For further info and an extensive manual, check the 'official site' at www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

This is the full version of To the Bitter End, and contains all ten Chapters (two of which are cinematics-only):

Prologue: Shadows Rising
Chapter I: Dark Dawn
Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
Chapter III: Juggernaut
Chapter IV: Heart of Ice
Chapter V: Reunion
Chapter VI: Harbingers of War
Chapter VII: Grim Harvest
Chapter VIII: The Bitter End
Epilogue: New Beginnings

To check the version number of your campaign, type 'version' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game and it will display (or if nothing displays, then your version is definitely out-of-date). The newest versions are always available on the official site.

Although I am solely responsible for creating this map, several central character featured in this campaign were envisaged by the writers at The Administorum (http://theadministorum.yuku.com/) and its newest incarnation, the Administorum 2.0 (The Administorum - Index).

A word on cinematics:
---------------------

It is possible to skip any of the cinematics, just press ESC.

You are advised to watch the cinematics at least once. They will often give you instructions as to what to do next and offer clues as to what to expect. Making sense of the game plot without them would be pretty difficult.

One 'bug' that occurs if you skip the cinematics is that any items or abilities that might have 'cooled down' and become available over the course of the cinematic will now not do this. This means that if you want to use those items/abilities often, you may have to wait around more... and if there's a timer counting down while you wait, that might not be advisable. This isn't a major thing, but it does mean that the game might be slightly more difficult if you skip the cinematics.

If you want to be sure to experience the game how it was meant to be played, then don't skip the cinematics. That's how I planned the level out and how I spent the most time testing it.

Hints/Notes:
------------

Use your quest log if unsure of what to do next... that's what it's there for.

Read the tooltips if you want to know what an ability or item does. In fact, this is strongly recommended.

The Sphere of Annihilation and Cataclysm abilities are appropriately named, because they will pretty much obliterate ANYTHING in the target area. That includes things you might prefer to keep un-obliterated, such as yourself.

Your items are re-usable. However, they have long cooldown times. Save them for when you need them, and then unleash hell.

To the Bitter End is very unforgiving. SAVE OFTEN.

You can find Chapter-specific hints (should you need them) at the official site at http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend.

Don't expect to find Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series in this game. I've been using the name Soul Reaver for my RPG alter-ego since long before even the first Blood Omen came out. The Soul Reaver in this map is an original character.

Credits:
--------

To the Bitter End designed, written and created by:
Andy Krieg

Title screen and concept art by:
Stephen Cousins

Chinese localization by:
Heishimo (He)

Russian localization by:
Кирляндия

Original Character design:

'Soul Reaver' by Andy Krieg
'Fei Serumen' by Anthony Passmore
'Cameron Aileron' by Sean Britton
'Kitharsis' by Bryon Laird
'Sera Poi' by Anthony Di Cesare
'Slayer' by Eric Rodseth
Additional characters by Andy Krieg

Music:

Title:
'Kalki (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Prologue:
'Pompeii' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter I:
'The Wretched' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter II:
'The Becoming' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter III:
'Tikal' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter IV:
'Nineveh' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter V:
'Karma' by Kamelot

Chapter VI:
'We're in this Together' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter VII:
'Welcome Within' by Godsmack
'Ultra' by KMFDM

Chapter VIII:
'Yamiiro no Yume/Anger (edit)' by Kasamutso Kouji
'Missing Time' by MDFMK
'Kalki' by E.S. Posthumus
'Ashielf Pi' by E.S. Posthumus
'Kuvera (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Epilogue:
'Indra/Arise (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Additional Concept art donated by:
Chris Oldland
Tom Hering

'Void Breach' based on 'Black Hole' model by:
WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Weapon models extracted by:
Larc

Hero Glow model by:
Assassin_lord

Damage Detection based on GUI Friendly Damage Detection v1.2 by:
Weep

Special Thanks to:
The Administorum
Blizzard Entertainment
The Hive Workshop
Filefront
Warnicro
You, for playing

Extra Special Thanks:
Ji Xu

Tell me what you think! E-mail me (meet_soul_reaver@hotmail.com) if you have comments or questions about 'To The Bitter End', the Multiverse, or Soul Reaver.

Please do not redistribute or modify these files without my permission. These files are not to be sold for profit.

Keywords:
Action, RPG, Campaign, Epic, Fantasy, Hard, To the Bitter End, TTBE, Cinematic, Story, Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis, Sera Poi,
Contents

To the Bitter End (Campaign)

Reviews
Date: 12:36:51 13-Nov-11 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Approved 6/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Useful Links: If you have any complaints or questions about your map, please make a thread here:Map Resource...
  1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You're quite active on your thread. I don't remember asking you how long did it take to finish this work (hours per day and so on).

2. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I keep an eye on the thread so I can answer peoples' questions. I'm happy to hear from people who are playing the campaign. :)

I'm not actually sure how long it took overall. I've got a wife and a full time job, so I have a lot of other commitments. I typically set myself the goal of working on it an hour every day, but there were plenty of times I couldn't work on it at all, and other times where I would work on it every spare moment I had.

Overall, it took over six years to finish, so a lot of work went into it!

3. MC_HeartAttack

MC_HeartAttack

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow, SIX YEARS? No wonder it's so good..

4. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow,that's a long time

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey Reave'! Don't remember asking you how everybody seems to be talking the same language :D?

6. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Truth be told, they're not really. Although Morganem will have started to introduce a formally mandated 'common tongue' amongst the governments of his vassal kingdoms (likely based on the Dharuk language), this wouldn't have spread everywhere and would not be extensively used by most of the populace. There are two reasons everyone understands each other:

Firstly, all the powerful immortals/beings in the game have some manner of magical or technological 'universal translator' thing going - Soul Reaver, for example, not only knows a huge amount of languages, but also has a minor cantrip active at all times that ensures he understands (more or less) what is being said in languages he does not know, and ensures that his own speech is similarly 'translated' to the listeners. Cameron's suit comes with a universal translator, though even without it, his psychic powers allow him to non-verbally 'understand' what people are saying even if it's a different language. And so on and so forth. The Dharuk, for their part, are crudely taught the languages of the places they invade (if their role requires them to do anything but bash people's heads in) - Dharuk are intelligent and fast learners when it comes to things like that.

Secondly, the plot would be vastly harder to follow for the player (and the characters) if all the dialogue was written in the native languages of the speakers and nobody understood each other. :p

7. ThunderWarcraft

ThunderWarcraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice! I'm hoping for some more great work in the future.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Almost forgot about these.

You guess from what level they are :grin: They're all from the same mission.

Attached Files:

9. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They're from Chapter VII, I've looked at it long enough to know right away. :p

I'm guessing you're demonstrating how you can view the terrain layout through the "fog of war" in some missions?

Chapter VII isn't the only one where that happens - it happens in any mission with a visual 'fog' effect (and there are quite a few of those in To the Bitter End). Unfortunately there isn't anything I can do about it short of removing the fog effect, which is something I don't want to do.

It looks cool though.

As an interesting note, you might notice that during the Prologue cinematic (which is set in the same location) that fog isn't present. That's not a mistake... there's a reason why it's only there in Chapter VII onwards. :p

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, Mr. Reave'. It's the level where I just saw/realized of the artistic value of the fog of war. Other missions might have that too, but this one's FoW caught my attention very fast.

11. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another update! To the Bitter End has now been updated to version 1.0.05!

There are lots of small fixes in this update - little bugs, inconsistencies, glitches and annoyances that have been bothering me. The changes include:

- Incorrect trigger entries that reduced the efficiency of Blood Plague in Chapters 5-8 have now been fixed
    - Explosive Shells slightly improved
    - Active sub-selections are now no longer being reset whenever a treeman 'unroots' in Chapter 3 (seems to have been caused by a hardcoded problem with the 'root' and 'unroot' ability in vanilla Warcraft 3)
    - Allied units are rescued from cells automatically when the doors are broken down in Chapter 1 (no need to run up to the ones in the back anymore!)
    - Chapter 2 AI improved slightly
    - Using the Soul Amulet now cancels the effects of Celerity (just like it logically should)
    - Splash screens for opening/credits prettied up a bit
    - Various small fixes to range/damage/MP progression for several abilities and summoned units
    - Various small tooltip and dialogue fixes

12. DarkSword123

DarkSword123

Resources:
    Resources:
    is this a re-realse ?
    i remember playing this already
    Did you just add some stuff and then re-release it ?
    i haven't play it yet i just want to see what you have to say

13. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's an 'update' - so yes, it's the same game, but with a bunch of small bugs and problems fixed. There aren't any major changes, just things to make it play smoother and eliminate inconsistencies and small annoyances.

For example: in Chapter III, if you had a group of units selected during the battle against the Juggernaut, then your sub-selection (ie, the unit you selected by pressing Tab) got reset to the first unit in the group whenever a Treeman uprooted itself. This was a bug due to how the Root/Unroot ability works in Warcraft III. I re-coded how the Treemen spawn so that doesn't happen anymore in this latest version.

14. Baluar

Baluar

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think I've played something this good in a long while. I'm in mission 4 at the moment, and I'm already loving it.

The gameplay is nothing out of the ordinary... or so it would seem at first. It isn't particularly fancy, but it is done wonderfully, and plays extremely well. Besides, you can't hate a game with something as awesome as the Sphere of Annihilation in it.

(It is a little unforgiving, though, but there's no fun if there's no challenge, huh?)

The story isn't pretentious in its premise, but it works remarkably well and now I want to see its ending as soon as possible.

The music is something to be noted. I love all the tracks I've heard so far, and I have no reason to think the rest will be any different.

I honestly have yet to find a thing I dislike about this.

15. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Really happy you're enjoying it so far! Note I love very difficult games, and so the difficulty does ramp up (Chapter IV is a vicious wake-up call). Personally I'd recommend fighting your way through it nonetheless (and saving often), as that will feel more rewarding when you win, but if you find it too tough to be fun, you can change the difficulty for the current Chapter by typing in 'easy' or 'medium' in the chat window ('hard' is the default).

But I promise that it is possible even on the default difficulty!

Send me an email when you've finished it, would love to hear your feedback. :)

16. Baluar

Baluar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Indeed. I could only try a bit of Chapter IV before I had to leave home for a few days, and it gave me a lot of trouble. I recklessly sent Kitharsis to fight and ended up with him losing mote than half his health in the second enemy encounter.

17. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Kitharsis' AI is a real pain here, since he'll try to fight despite being useless at it. Tell him to Hold Position when there are enemies nearby and he won't rush in murder himself.

He's also slow as molasses so it helps to have a rearguard following him (I use Fei, or Daemons if I have them) and not allow the companions to get too widely separated.

There are some tips on the official website (http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend/hints.htm) if you need them.

18. lonepair

lonepair

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What is the song played in chapter VIII during Slayer's commune spell? Thanks!

19. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As I did on Wc3C I realize I should do so here as well. So subscribed for updates :smile:

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Credits

Music:

Title:
    'Kalki (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Prologue:
    'Pompeii' by E.S. Posthumus