• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TKoK 3.0 - The Resurrection - We're Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
when a unit reaches 0.405 hp, it's considered dead, since you can detect this, then prevent the death, you can recycle the unit by moving it off screen, restoring its HP to full and removing all buffs. Start a timer then respawn it when you are ready

The system we are using for the FSI is something I wrote from scratch, no external systems were used or borrowed from somebody else. I did the creation/grid layout, and some of the basic code. Fled did the rest

The talent tree system uses the same code for the grid layout and creation.

We use 1 spot off screen and hide/show destructables based on whos viewing it at the time. All 8 player's inventory is stacked ontop of each other, same for the talent tree, but since you can hide/show destructables without desyncs, we do that to save space

We use Rising_Dusk's damage detection system modded for our own purposes and a new system based off the damage detection for healing detection

Level 7
I guess it will bug hardly

You can't properly prevent death of all units when they reach 0.405 hp.

Or you do some heavy tests on that system? Kill 60 units in 5 seconds?

And you can't set hp of died unit to max. (he still will be death)

Level 8
Why would it bug hard?

Damage event is triggered before unit actually takes damage, so preventing it from dying is pretty safe and all.

Level 7
Test it with 100 units die in 1-3 sec.

{EDIT}
I have tons of questions about preventing unit die,

Maybe just show me how you do this?
With 0.405 hp plz

That not possible if unit get killed also in one hit or die from deregeneration

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
You detect the damage with a damage detection system, and then calculate. If that damage is enough to kill the unit you heal him and as the detection is done before the damage itself, the heal saves the unit from dying. After that you just move it somewhere out of the map, and store him there waiting to be respawned. What is so hard to get...

Level 7
Give me any system with that concept and i show you - they bugs like hell.

Recreating units not bad, but for skills with Damage Detection need, ofc recycling is better.

But bugs will eat you then.

Goodluck anyway with this

Level 11
We had had no problems whatsoever with this system, since, as stated above,

The damage detection triggers always fire before damage is actually dealt to the unit. It's always possible to detect if a blow will kill the unit and if you should prevent that blow or not before it even happens.

Level 8
@Vexen.X:
but i think the buttons like these item in the Inventory Screen are units or?
Aren't there any desyncs if you hide then for other players with GetLocalPlayer() ??
Thats something what would interest me...
Another questions I would want to know is how much place take these FS-Systems?

@Ranger21:
I know vJass lokkes compiled more ugly but in the editor it looks much more better than Jass2. And of course it has alot of improvements like structs, global vras decleration etc..

Level 11
@Vexen.X:
but i think the buttons like these item in the Inventory Screen are units or?
Aren't there any desyncs if you hide then for other players with GetLocalPlayer() ??
Thats something what would interest me...
Another questions I would want to know is how much place take these FS-Systems?

There are no desync issues when hiding a destructible for a local player, that is the beauty of this system.

The FS system takes up almost no space at all, the camera distance to target is only 120, when a standard game is 1650, everything is extremely tiny, but appears large when the camera is so close to the target

Well , i still think you system can't support deregen. (only deregen from damage).

No prove?:p

You will see when the beta is released within 2 weeks or so, that everything works fine

Level 8
If everything is so small, wouldn't the tilesets appear too big comaperd to the hero?

I think Vexen ment with small the full-screen systems like Skilltree and Inventory. These are create in any corner of the map and when the player opens one of these System, a camera is actived for these player and he can see everything. And the Systems uses a background so you cannot see the tileset behind it :D

@Vexen.X:
Only in 2 weeks a demo? Sounds nice, but which heroes can be played? only the hereos you shown in the beginning of the tread? And will the SLS work?

Another question:
Do you create these destructibles in the editor or ingame?

Level 8
Same as ToadCops. I thought he meant the whole game will be like 2 times smaller to reduce map size. Also, if you just use DGUI and cover up the screen there's no point in changing the camera. If you don't know what DGUI is, its a system that creates buttons, pictures and text on your screen. Its made to follow your screen and it doesn't flicker.

Level 11
I did not use DGUI at all

I think Vexen ment with small the full-screen systems like Skilltree and Inventory. These are create in any corner of the map and when the player opens one of these System, a camera is actived for these player and he can see everything. And the Systems uses a background so you cannot see the tileset behind it :D

@Vexen.X:
Only in 2 weeks a demo? Sounds nice, but which heroes can be played? only the hereos you shown in the beginning of the tread? And will the SLS work?

Another question:
Do you create these destructibles in the editor or ingame?

correct with that first quote, that is what I was referring to

Within 2 weeks I am shooting for all 12 heroes to be playable in the first 3 zone demo, but we shall see how things go. Currently we are up to 6 working heroes with talent trees + the revisions in their abilities: Cleric, Warrior, Arcanist, Ranger, Pyro, Chaotic Knight

The demo is planning to review the following zones / quests: Tol'Calm, Vormur Forest, Vormur Temple, Tol'Calm Caves, the new Broodmother boss fight (not a standard crappy unit anymore), and the new Vormur Gardens

There are 6 new quests so far in the first 2 areas + the original quests, no quests have been added for the Vormur Gardens as of yet

Last edited:
Level 8
I know that but I meant that you don't need to zoom in the camera unless your putting it into a different part of the map.

Level 4
Vexen.X said:
-Unit recycling system to help with memory management. Units are no longer 'killed' when their HP reaches 0 thanks to Fled and his Unit Recycler functions. This will be most noticeable in long games after many spawns occur.
*It's actually based off of Moyack's system

Level 4
Wow, I never really got into TKoK much mainly because of slow gameplay. All the grinding and grinding to meet quest requirements to level up, only to have to face more grinding to reach the next quest. Hopefully the new experience system you talked about saying how quests are more important now will fix this.

Level 36
Wow, I never really got into TKoK much mainly because of slow gameplay. All the grinding and grinding to meet quest requirements to level up, only to have to face more grinding to reach the next quest. Hopefully the new experience system you talked about saying how quests are more important now will fix this.

That's RPGs for you. Except more hack-n-slash oriented RPGs make the fighting a lot more fun. However, this isn't one of those, so the quests should involve more than just killing shit.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
With the project being worked on again, may I remind you guys that you do still have a forum...
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/the-kingdom-of-kaliron-573/

Just because it was moved for inactivity does not mean its not yours. Anyway, if you PM Ghan about this I am sure he will be more than happy to ship it back to an active hosted project for you.

Anyway, I have to words to say to this. COOL and DAMN....
Cool because it is an even more powerful RPG than before, and damn because it means my code generator I made for private use no longer functions lol. Anyway, look foward to the final release as I am sure to play it agian.

che

che

Level 1
Venex i posted u few weeks earlier. map is the BEST RPG i played. when can we dl it?????????????????? mladen
http://http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_green.jpg
Green
You value growth, life, adaptation and nature. You love to hunt, mate, kill, and eat—to you, that’s all there is. At your best, you are instinctual and unpretentious. At your worst, you are vicious and unthinking. Your symbol is a tree. Your enemies are blue and black

{EDIT}
went on forum.
tkok.freeforums.org
is this war3 or wow :_) it looks mnogoooo dobro. aaaaaaaa swaka cast momci. umete ga... GJ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
Once again, we will be testing the map again and it will be watchable via the xfire live stream. When we are getting close to launch time, I will post the link again.

Start time: 5PM EST today 7/28

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should have tested with more people...
Also you may wish to consider reducing boss power if they reset too much but lowering their drops. This is to prevent poor players becomming stuck but still allow pros to get what they diserve.

Also I take it the brood mother gaining insane power was not intensional...

Level 11
That is correct, that was a bug with her being rescaled every reset in case a player left the game, but her previous scaling of HP/Attack Speed/Dmg/etc was not reset to 0 first so it was stacking

As you can see, the overall damage scaling was a bit out of control, while its okay in single player and 2 players, going up to 4 scaled the damage too much, adding even more players would have made it impossible

Not to mention, I never really played a cleric before + i was dealing with the stream killing my FPS + talking to the people in the chat, i should have just tanked =P

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
For player scaling, bosses should get some HP and damage bonous. For normal units there should be more of them with slightly more damage and HP.

Also is streaming from a laptop wise? you should probably get someone else to stream for you in your test squad, as desktops probably are more capable at it.

Anyway, looking good.

Level 11
it wouldn't have been a problem if my AC wasn't broken and it was like 100 degrees in here, my laptop wouldnt have heated up so much.

Anywho, I was pulling numbers out of the air for scaling, now I saw where they are at, I can adjust accordingly. I have fixed all the bugs and issues we saw today, the next run should be close to perfect as far as bugs go.

Balance should be much better as well. I am scaling HP a little higher than it did in the last test while lowing their attack speed bonus and damage bonus. The damage bonus is almost insignificant but its still there, I'm pretty sure though there was a double dip on the +damage bonus on mobs

Level 11
one of the big problems right now is while testing we lack the following:

Weapons, magic drops from mini bosses, rings, ammy's, offhands (which includes shields)

these items will help improve overall performance of all classes

At the same time, damage on broodmother was way too strong and her webspray was hitting people behind her which was totally screwing over the incoming damage

Status
Not open for further replies.