1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Time Continuum

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by Maestros, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Is time Continuous? As a straight line, and in every moment, there are infinite past "mes" and infinite future "mes" ?
    And if so, then do we truly have free will?
    Does time even really exist? Or was it just invented as a meaning to measure speed, to make our everyday lives easier?

2. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you mean, is time infinite, then no. Time cannot go back infinitely because then it would take an infinite amount of time to get to any point in time. Eternity cannot fit into time.

What are mes? Where do these different mes come from? Measure speed? What are you talking about?

3. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am asking, is time continuous? Like a straight line? Or is it like a dot, constantly moving towards the future?

"mes" a "plural" for me. Are there other "mes" out there, in parallel universes that live in my past and my future?

So it time like a straight line, with events happening over and over again.
    Or something that has happened, has happened and that is the end. Like a dot moving forward. (the dot representing the momentary time)

And lastly, is time even real? Or it is just a measure we created, in order to make our lives easier and help us determine speed?
    As you know, if you want to calculate speed of anything, you do it in accordance with time.

4. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I won't get into parallel universes or time travel, but as far as I can say time would be a continous function. It is uninterrupted, a floating context without fixed points, without being divided into stages. It's far from discrete.

If you choose to go with general relativitys spacetime, most would say that time is indeed continous.
    [​IMG]
    But quantum field theory indicates that spacetime should be discrete, at same there are of course candidate quantum gravity theories in which it is assumed that spacetime is continuous.

So which one is it?
    The answer could be resolved through a dual theory of space-time which has both discrete and continuous aspects. I don't know really.

Is time real?
    Time is in physics, simplified, as the distance between two events measured in seconds. Are notions of past, present and future entirely subjective, only descriptions from our minds? Similar questions can also be imposed on any of the othre dimensions.

It's just as real as mass, length or even mol.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @ManYouAreEvil

So you are saying that time is indeed continuous.

So does that suggest that there is a past me, and a future me, simultaneously existing in, as you put it, parallel universes?

6. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is only one me, it existed a past me and it will exist a future me.
    I can't say about parallel universes.

7. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would say it is real because we measure it.

When, if you follow a straight line, do you ever reach the same spot twice? Being that a line is an infinitely-extending one-dimensional figure that has no curvature.

8. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Some actually claim that time is like the shape of a circle, with the same events reoccuring over and over again. (amongst the claimers is one of my favourites authors of all time; Herr Nietzsche)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return

Extremely ridiculous to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Also the Cyclic model is the Physical practice of previous said Philosophic take, that even if not the universe is constructed of the same people or the same events - it repeats itself over and over again

Big Bang > Expansion > Contraction > Big Bang > Expansion > Contraction etc.

9. Verhalthur

Verhalthur

Resources:
    Tools:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I highly recommend watching the series of youtube videos about the 10 dimensions by reputable scientists. It starts here, but the video about the time dimension is here.

Some of the concepts are a bit difficult, and only make sense with the graphics provided.

10. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These videos are pretty interesting to watch, but it's kind of hard to hang onto once you get past the 7th level.

11. Verhalthur

Verhalthur

Resources:
    Tools:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The 9th and 10th levels make sense to me but the 7th and 8th are a little difficult.

This is all associated with string theory, by the way.