• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I could inform you of what I know since I joined, remember i'm starting from about two years ago, so other veterans will have to fill in the rest from before then.

Before 2006, The Hive Workshop was under a different domain name. I can't remember exactly what it was, but the site was mainly for the 40K clan members, and people interested in Warhammer 40K TD.

That is where this all started, with that Tower Defense. Ralle created Warhammer 40K TD, and along with it, this website.

The domain name was finally settled on as The Hive Workshop because the decision to have the site focus on resources, mapping, and world editor use, and because the Hive demonstrates its Warhammer roots.

The site has always had a frontpage, although one quite different than what you see now. We used ImPortal and PHPBB2, for any interested, and the site ran like a dream.

We only had several thousand registered members, and only 4 thousand of which had more than 10 posts. Regardless, we were a small community, everyone knew everyone else very well, and the staff had a great relationship with the users.

Now, we expanded into a resource based site, Ralle added the maps section (I was the first moderator along with another guy by the name of Deckboy), and things were swell. This is around July 2006 btw.

Archian had joined the site in early April/end of March 2006, and had become a valuable asset to the growing site.

The summer passed with little fanfare, as far as I recall, the site continued to grow, and in October 2006, Wolverabid joined with us and proved himself invaluable, rapidly rising through our ranks.

Christmas 2006 was a time of great change, as a dying wc3sear.ch merged with the Hive Workshop to preserve its halls of knowledge and resource.

This brought many, many, many thousands of noobs to our site asking "AH MAH GAHD WHERE WC3S?!?!?!?!!!?11!1!1?!1/!" and then even more complaining about how the Hive was inferior in every way to their beloved (now dead) website. They soon got over it, we managed to sort out the files from wc3s, and slowly began to rebuild the databases of resources, adding to our own, and moderating 144 pages of maps that got brought over from the merge.

Due to the massive load on the servers with the influx of new members, we were forced to switch from very cheap shared hosting to renting a server of our own for dedicated use. This was very costly, and the donations program was set up in order to provide the money needed to keep the server going, as Google ads were not bringing in enough.

The front page and resource sections were redone, and things took off from there. In February 2007, the Chat Room was added, and the site has slowly grown in size, feature, and resources.

I'm sure I missed a few things (plus the whole 2005 and previous era), but that's the general premise of what's been happening here for the last two years.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The reason why this place is "so huge" is because it is a fusion site between WC3search and a smaller website.

We also manage this site well so it is keeping its huge size due to being attractive. Also unlike sites like WC3C (although they seem to have fixed the problem) we try and keep the servers opporational all the time with as short as possiable down times.

Level 12
a wiki? Actually that would be kinda dumb... Including if the only purpose was for the history... It would take a lot of time trying to dig up random stuff for people to view, its really not needed or worth it... All it would do is waste space and cause complications.

Oh unless you want to make a model history on how each model on the site was created? Wouldnt that be interesting?

Level 36
It would be interesting, actually, to have it devoted entirely to Warcraft, not just its fanbase. Obviously, that would be included, but aside from WoWwiki, there aren't really that many repositories for WC lore, and all of the articles about the community that could be written, it would definetly be a worthwhile and interesting endeavour.

If this goes through, I would be willing to help write/contribute to, as well as moderate said Wiki, as Writing is my job around here, it seems kind of fitting :p

Either way, this would be worthwhile (Just another great reason to visit the Hive) as well as fun (Writing articles about areas of expertise is great, since it requires little work and mostly original research)

I support Rui's idea, so that we can have information ABOUT things and not just HOW TO DO information.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Finally I start having some support. I guess I should have expressed myself more clear earlier.
The intention of the wiki was to keep track of important resources (mainly maps I guess), tools, roleplay themes.
And not only, Starcraft could also be included, and other Blizzard games.

Please do comment on this. And security is not a problem. Like wikipedia, the system could have protection against guest editions, as well as protected articles and archives, so reverting damages is not a problem.

Level 36
Yes, but even registered users often vandalize Wiki articles, for whatever reason, or attempt to alter the truth with false information so as to be more subtle about it.

And i'm sure by now there's a VBulletin addon that integrates a Wiki into the forums so that your account on the forums is useable on the Wiki as well.

But yeah, we want it to be about both the community and the content. It would be nice to have a respository of Warcraft information (about the series itself, and the fictional contents of its universe).

We'll see what Ralle has to say.

Level 24
IIRC, ragingspeedhorn was also a user at wc3s. About spamming clicks, I believe that someone actually mentioned in a thread that clicking ads would create revenue for THW's servers. There was some thing about clicking ads for a few posts, and with as many idiots as there are around here (and the internet; no offense to the people who graduate from that phase) it wouldn't surprise me if people spammed clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.