• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thoughts on TGT Control Warrior with Brawl/Deathlord and Twilight Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
So, sjow came up with the really good idea of two brawls and two deathlords. Deathlord is a 5 mana card for only 3 mana (5/5 with taunt), but has the terrible deathrattle of giving your opponent a free minion. However, this only empowers Brawl, giving the Warrior excellent early defense against face (they won't want to silence it), midrange, and control decks. I must also say that Brawl works really well with Sylvanas Windrunner.

Sludge Belcher was always kind of expensive and very susceptible to silence. Without being silenced, it is an exact 5 mana card. With silence, it turns into a 3.5 mana card. Twilight Guardian without silence and its buff is a 4.5 mana card. With silence, it's also a 3.5 mana card. It can also be played earlier, making it better against quick agro.

I believe that running 4 taunts, 2 deathlords and 2 twilight guardians is the way to go. Supplement that with 2 Brawls and some dragons and you are set.

A lot of people are major advocates for Chillmaw. It is another board clear that is even better than Brawl in most cases. It can also counter Grim Patron. However, is it really as good as Baron Geddon? In the case that Chillmaw is killed, it clears the board exactly one time, and most of this clear will likely just be due to the taunt and not the 3 damage aoe. This turns it into a 6.5 mana card for 7 mana in a lot of cases. Not only this, but it only clears the board exactly once and it isn't a continued threat. Baron Geddon on the other hand will clear the board without being killed and will demand a response from the opponent. This makes it a much higher threat. It won't counter Grim Patron, but if you are running 2 brawls, you've already countered it hard. This means that I believe that Baron Geddon is actually a much more valuable card for control warrior than Chillmaw.

What kind of dragons should be played in Control Warrior besides Alexstrasza and Ysera in order to run Twilight Guardian effectively? Nefarian, in my opinion, just isn't that great of a card. Chromaggus works well with Varian Wyrnn and demands an immediate response. However, it doesn't really fit into a control warrior deck. If anything, I believe that the best dragons to include would probably just be Chromaggnus and Alexstrasza along with of course the Twilight Guardians.

There are some other interesting high value cards that trade well. Consider Alexstrasza's Champion. Charge costs exactly 1 mana on a card and the 3/3 makes it a 2.5 mana card. This puts it up to 3.5 mana for only 2 mana, meaning that you get practically double the value. Value and early game tempo is very, very good for a control deck as it allows the deck to prolong the game. Armorsmith can probably be easily replaced with Alexstrasza's Champion, especially if one is running two earlier high value taunts.

Bash vs Shield Block? Simply put, card draw is very important for Control Warrior. Shield Block wins. Cruel Taskmaster vs Slam? Slam counters divine shield better and provides card draw. Yes, you lose your 12 damage Grommash combo, but 10 damage is usually enough anyways.

Justicar Trueheart? This card alone pretty much immediately defeats any agro deck. For other decks, it only serves to boost shields. However, with the inclusion of two Brawls, this makes you more stable against a large board presence. This means that you can take more risk to get more value out of Brawl.

These are my current thoughts into the state of control warrior. I see a lot of people running Chillmaw and doing dragons, but I really don't think this is the way to go. We should take what we already had, which was a very good deck, and refine it further. I don't think that the newer decks even stack up to the last control warrior sjow made, which was absolutely brilliant.

There is one other note I would like to make. Chillmaw vs Dr. Boom? Chillmaw can trade evenly with Dr. Boom, but Dr. Boom has a lot more presence than Chillmaw and can also trade against a large board.

What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.