1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The world will be mine

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by Rui, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    But if you are in a position of power, you have a responsibility against others - wouldn't you agree? And many times you would probably have to sacrifice what's easy and fun in order to withold that responsibility. I'm not sure that being a dictator is as fun and easy as it could seem.

I have a hard time imagining any one could ever dream of becoming a dictator (mostly because what you said is true, it's common sense to assume the other guy will do the very same) as I would never ever want to go against my principles of democracy and human rights, kind of ever-never, never-ever!

2. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Progress needs a sacrifice and i think that the end justify the means most of the time.

Would you have to make some hard choices? Yes.
    I would say it depends on the seat of power, you can be powerful and have very little responsibility, mostly because money plays a big role in the power struggle.

I guess you could see it like that, i however think of it more like a leadership. As long as you give results most people won't ask how you got to them or what you did to achieve them anyway.

I am sorry, democracy might apply in politics but it applies really in minority when it comes to life. Survival of the fittest is where it's at.

Principles and morality are issues however, tho i find most of people claiming to have principles nothing more than vague words.

3. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You could've just linked to the tvtropes article.

--

OP: Because it's an easy plot to come up with which doesn't require much creativity, and still creates a villain which people can dislike. That said, the best-written plots tend to avoid this, or at least play with it somewhat: a good example is Planescape: Torment (play it if you're interested in storytelling in video games; it completely throws out a lot of assumptions people make about what storylines should focus on, at least in video games). For a literary example, Catch-22 is excellent and may also have you reconsider what the role of villains in a book is.

Lord of the Rings has an excellent world and decent characters, but the basic plot is not anything special. Cartoons are the same; the plot isn't the point. I think if you look past such media, this trope somewhat disappears or is at least not as overwhelming.

4. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Depends on how radical you are willing to go.

True.
    I still don't strive for a high money income, it's not something I would wish for really. And if I were given one, I hope I would choose to give it away :3

I can't think of any benevolent dictatorship that has actually existed in reality. Throughout history.

No it's not, if I based my inner compass on Darwinism - or any one else for that matter - society would make little progress.

I openly base a lot of actions and aspirations on my principles, ideology or values - where I do consider that the group's best is more important than my own, individual, best.

5. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tsk tsk, Aeroblyctos.

Thanks for the nice posting, Poot =)

6. Verhalthur

Verhalthur

Resources:
    Tools:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The characters you are talking about are one-dimensional (in the literary sense, definitely not in the physical) in that they are angry and anger is the only emotion they posses. It is entirely possible to have realistic characters with the intention of taking over the world, such as Peter/Locke from Ender's Game. The motivation of most of these is to prevent a conflict from happening by assuming absolute control of it.

7. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I disagree that many such boring "I'm going to take over everything" villains are one-dimensional, they just make use of a lazy plot device. Sure, there are better examples (like Peter), although they usually don't follow the trope all that strictly (Peter goes about his goals in a very different way, for instance). That said, I mostly just disagree with the idea that there is any guiding role behind most of these other than laziness/the villain's motivation not being the point and I think it's telling that most better stories (whether in books, games, movies etc) shy away from such a theme.

8. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Little boys want to play with little soldiers.

Awesome men want to play with real people.