• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Walking Dead [v1.0b]

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Small update:
- Fixed the faulty camera system. The triggering was incomplete, thus not working correctly for anyone other than player 1.
- Corrected loading screen title. My mistake.

Update v1.0b!
Changelog:
- Added camera system; You can now switch between the normal warcraft 3 top view and the custom third person view.

The top view trades in sight radius for 360 degrees character awareness for balance with third person view.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its the Zombie Apocalypse. You and your friends have decided to spend the night in a ruined house while trying to travel away from all the chaos.
Most of them come at night, so its time to barricade those entrances!

This game is a slow/moderate paced zombie survival map.
Its loosely based on the old Night of The Living Dead movie, and its also sort of how you play it. This map is not based around marines and big guns, but instead civilians, improvised weapons and defence.
Get wood to barricade the house with. Search for weapons to defend yourself, and dont get hit! Getting hit will get you infected, resulting in a slow death and after that; Reanimation...

The Walking Dead is a 4 player co-op map. You will need good teamwork if you wish to survive the night.
Me and my fellow IRL beta testers never made it to the end without cheating, so good luck. (Its definatly possible!)

---------------------------------------------
Credits:
Produced by:
- HawK047

Playtesters:
Gamer friends: Roel, Koen, Coen and Kilian.

Alot of stuff I used in my map isnt mine.
These people deserve credit for one of more features in my map:

Models from:
- xXm0rpH3usXx
- Kitabatake
- Illidan(Evil)X
- Punisher_x
- Villager
- Thrikodius
- xXx-Tricky-xXx
- The guy that made these awesome zombie models! I couldn't find your name anywhere, sorry.:(

Sounds from:
- The "Zombie Master" developers (Half Life 2 modification)
- Rusty's ZM shambler sounds
- Aliens vs Predator 2
- Other sounds I took from Findsounds.com

And thanks to anybody else i have forgotten. (Sorry!)

Also, thanks to anyone who has supported and/or helped me make this map!
---------------------------------------------

Keywords:
Zombie, Dead, Defence, Barricade, Apocalypse, The, Walking, Dead, Survival.
Contents

The Walking Dead [v1.0b] (Map)

Reviews
00:59, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 3
Playing this map gives me motion sickness due to the camera angles. If you get physically sick from a map, its very difficult to recommend it, hence 1/5.

Level 3
There's more than enough maps with a third person cam. Maybe i will add an option to remove it later.

Also, I dont think I deserved that grade because your post makes it seem as if you hardly even played it.

Level 3
There's more than enough maps with a third person cam. Maybe i will add an option to remove it later.

Also, I dont think I deserved that grade because your post makes it seem as if you hardly even played it.
I realize it may seem harsh to give it a 1/5 due to that factor. However, I played the map and it made me feel ill. So factors in the map, even though you may not have been able to forsee them, made me unable to play it further. So for me, this map is unplayable, hence I have to rate it based on that.

For others, it likely won't be and they will rate it based on their experience.

Level 3
I realize it may seem harsh to give it a 1/5 due to that factor. However, I played the map and it made me feel ill. So factors in the map, even though you may not have been able to forsee them, made me unable to play it further. So for me, this map is unplayable, hence I have to rate it based on that.

For others, it likely won't be and they will rate it based on their experience.

Acceptable. Sorry the cam feature left you to being unable to play it.
The beta testers were also complaining about the camera when i first introduced it but they quikly got used to it after I smoothed the cam's turning speed.
I can either choose to completely take it out of keep it in. In default view you can view a large area around your character, even to its back. Its basicly the back view that i wanted to take from the player to keep the game more edgy.

Level 3
Acceptable. Sorry the cam feature left you to being unable to play it.
The beta testers were also complaining about the camera when i first introduced it but they quikly got used to it after I smoothed the cam's turning speed.
I can either choose to completely take it out of keep it in. In default view you can view a large area around your character, even to its back. Its basicly the back view that i wanted to take from the player to keep the game more edgy.
I understand your point. However, why not let your current cam be the default mode but leave an option to switch to the more standard top/down view?

Level 4
The Map

Well made, i like it :wink:

Terrain 4/5 - Its awesome and creppy... but too much space... could you make some tabels or some cool stuff so it dosen't feel that big? :thumbs_up:

Gameplay 1/5 - The game play is very fun, but the camera thing destroy it a lot for me :hohum: if you wish a higer rate from me please let people be able to pick camera option by themselfs (sorry bad english) what i want to say is... let people be able to turn off/on the camera mode if you do so you will get 4/5 from me :cool:

Fun Factor 5/5 - Very fun to run away from zombies.. and its very scary and i love the models/sounds :cute:

Please fixe camera so people can turn on/off for it :wink:

Sorry, but i'll not say the map is worth to play before you fix the camera :cry:

Hope you can use the feedback :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Thanks for the feedback so far. Due to popular demand so far, i'm going to work on the new camera system as soon as I possibly can.:)

Also you could reduce sight range for those that prefer the Top down view to keep the edge up.

I never thought of that! That balances it out perfectly, thanks!:)

PS: People, dont forget to check out the additional rooms. There are weapons lying around you know!

EDIT: Updated.

Last edited:
Level 1
I just love on how u made this map!
The Third person view is Great! We will never know who is on our back!
And the evade skill is a little tough to use.....I always get hit by the zombie.
I will rate ur map 8/10!
Good Job!

Level 3
There should be greater increase in barricade hp ... i mean common...for the 2 lumber cade... even the upgrade gives like wad... 20hp at most?? Then how bout acutally give some better weapons after the 2rd spawn....maybe even the 1st spawn , there should be a better weapon.. cant win without some decent help

More upgrades for cades!

Ever thought of lvling up repair? level system would be nice so we can home certain skills. and maybe a way to remove infection ... or infection last long enough for 60 hp to be removed.. so if ur just unlucky , u can still survive 1 hit of infection

Level 3
Barricade HP is fine. Increasing it would turn it into a wall that the zombies just cant get into.
This map is supposed to be played by 4 players. And with four entrances and two entrances that already have an extra strong barricade, you should be able to hold out okay aslong as you work together.

Also, there is no cure for infection. It's called basic zombie lore. When you've been bitten or wounded by a zombie, you're gonna die and you're gonna turn.
The best way to avoid infection is to use blunt weapons. Blunt weapons stun with every hit. Sharp weapons dont stun but deal more damage instead.

New weapons, boss events, knock back, improved terrain and perhaps stronger barricades will be introduced in later version. Its still a v1.0.
This is a survival map, that doesnt mean you are actually going to survive.

Level 3
10 Ideas to help with map

First things first. Your map is fun but really hard with not enough to do. I really like the idea of you being normal people. I have assembled 10 ideas which i think will greatly improve your map.

10 Ideas for map:
1). You should be able to throw your weapons at an attacker, then pick your weapon back up off the ground -- (use throw bolder - make it an item ability and give it the model of the weapon)
2). Make some nice terrain outside the house, so you can leave, you will just get raped by zombies if you do it at the wrong time, Therefore there are little times when nothing happens and you are forced to leave the house to scout for supplies
3). Think of some reason why weapons just appear, far better i think would be to let them find them or craft them in some way. Remember they are normal people as so probably don't have the skills to build anything too flash
4). Add some tables chairs etc for the house, let them be broken up into wood
5). Have nearly every object that is small an item with a model, instead of a doodad. I.e. rocks on the ground can be picked up and thrown at zombies, they show up in your non dominate hand as a model
6). Increase the number of slots in the inventory so that people can pick up more items, but keep weapons so that people can only have one (in their dominate hand). A way might be to have weapons as artifacts and limit players to only one artifact
7). Add some cool higher level zombies, they kill in cool ways
8). Add some unique ways of killing/slowing the zombies using initiative, i.e. collapsing a wall on them etc. but don't tell players about it and let them figure it out for themselves
9). Have food in tins etc. that appear in your non dominate hand. Eating them may poison you or it may heal health
10). Remove the sound track and add some REALLY creepy sounds, to get the heart racing

Have a bit more of a story, cool cinematic for little bits, really try and capture the scariness of the situation, while keeping realistic.

REMEMBER the thing that makes people enjoy these small games is micromanagement and being able to use initiative. I.e. Running around crazily with zombies chasing, or killing in unique cool ways.

Play some zombie games, watch some movies and read some survival guides and try to determine what makes it fun and what doesn't.

p.s. The camera is epic annoying

If you need any help, more ideas or have any questions just send me a message and I'll try and help out
- Dragon-Fire

Level 3
First off, thanks for the constructive critisism you gave me.:)

1. I have had this idea noted for some time already for a later release. This release will take me some time to make and release since my life is alot busier than when I released version 1.0(b)

2. This is an arena style map. Taking a concept from Romero's zombie fiction and CoD's zombie mode. What creates great zombie gameplay is barricading in my opinion, and thats exactly what you need to do to survive. Going outside would throw away that idea. You're defending the house, not whats outside it. The scouting is a good idea, thanks.

3. This is another arena styled feature in the map. The game is slow to moderatly paced. But as more zombies will apear, it will get faster and faster. Having to create weapons would take up too much time, getting you killed.

4. This is an idea adressed before. Its a good idea that might be introduced in a later and propably bigger version.

5. I thought about this when starting on this map, but left it because I wanted the primary system to be done first, namely this. This is on my "to-do" list and you can expect this later.

6. I limited this not to keep a sense of realism in this game. Having a baseball bat in your hands with another large object would make it very hard for the survivor to normally move around and even hit properly.
Items like pain pills, health packs etc were also left out. It might be done later. But for this version I wanted players to actually stay on their toes to keep themselves safe, for there is no way back once you are infected.

7. There are a few running zombies in the map, but i'm still working on it. You wont be seeing transformed zombies or zombies with special "magical" ability's. Its likely you will be seeing fat zombies and maybe crawling zombies when I find a model for those. Ofcourse I'll be looking for more ways to add different kinds of zombies aslong as it keeps true to the classic romero "shambling" zombies.

8. I wanted this so bad when I was making the map. But I just dont know a way to (yet), so sorry.

9. Its just one night, so the survivors wont need food to survive. Also, it'd be kind of retarded to see a survivor chewing on a big hamburger while the others are busy barricading. And as I said, health packs are out of the question for this release.

10. I've been experimenting with sound. But adding fast paced music would make the map too funny. Shambling zombies and fast paced music is a great way to create comedy.
Dont worry, I'm definatly working on more sounds.:)

11. As I said, this map is an arena gameplay spinoff. Alot of people dont care about story and just want to play, but that doesnt mean it wouldnt end up in a later version.

12. Thats exactly why I made this map. More is coming, but dont expect it shortly.

13. Watching and readon zombie fiction? No need, I'm a big fan of zombie fiction and I know what alot of zombie fans want. Theres tons of zombie "shooting" fun in games and such, but barricading and "desperate survival" hasnt been done much. This is an awnser to just that "desperate survival coop horror game".

Also, there is an option to disable the camera.

HawK047.

Level 1
this map absolute garbage 0/5 mp difficulty and a whole 5 weapons beat it 2 players if u want the replay ask i'll save it and send it to u

Level 1
to top it all off we beat it w/ 1 barricade roflmfao add some difficulty and make it a decent map instead of making it afk autorepair bunker and lemme tell u its hard to make enemys attack walk and have a perminant slow poison that kills

Level 3
First off, why are you trying to start a fight? Like I told before, I am in no way a great mapper. I'm doing this for my fun.
I know there's stuff broken in my map. Its your loss if you decide to jump right into the closet room and camp there while autorepairing the barricade.
Think you can do better? Try it yourself, kid.

I'm somewhat happy you didnt like my map. Theres always got to be someone that hates your work and I'm glad thats you. This way I atleast wont be playing with you online.:)

By the way, you should work your spelling a bit. Its "permanent" not "perminant".;)
Your maturity is also lacking but I cant complain since you'll grow more mature as you age.:)

Atleast thanks for giving my map a try.

Level 5
whoever this person is, it seams he just created a new account for flaming you because he only has 2 posts (when i made this comment :) ), or hes just a new guy who cant think of anything better to do >.>