• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The true story of Arthas

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
The true story of Arthas

Hello and welcome to The true story of Arthas. The story of this map:

This is the unofficial story of our hero, Arthas.
The official story is the one that shows on the campaing, the one everyone trusts because has been said by someone famous or someone designed to maintain order... (previously, the king. Nowadays, the politicians).
This is an alternate way of the story, told once by a drunken bard on a tavern. A story long forgotten/erased from history...
Which one you believe, is up to you...

• This is more of a comedy cinematic, relax while watching :)
  • Thanks to Beta52 (my brother) for his help and his tips on my map.
  • Music name is Megaman X5 - X vs Zero remix --- Credits go to the owner (I don't know who he is).
  • The minimap image's author is unknown, where I downloaded it from, had no credits to him/her.
  • This map was made by [rainbow]Beta52 and I[/rainbow], no-one who's not listed worked/helped in this map. If someone does, credits will be given.
Thanks to:For:
-Kobas-For being the first one to take a look at my map and pointing out stuff that can cause errors.
VengeanceKaelFor pointing out some other stuff that can cause errors.

206491-albums5140-picture52046.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52047.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52048.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52049.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52050.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52051.jpg

206491-albums5140-picture52052.jpg

V1.0 - Official release
V1.1 - Some memory leaks fixed

Keywords:
Arthas, Tichondrius, King Terenas, Northrend, Lordaeron, cinematic, story, Mal'Ganis, Muradin, Frostmourne, crazy captain, true story, fun, comedy
Contents

The true story of Arthas (Map)

Reviews
Date: 20:08:46 29-Jul-12 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Rejected 1/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Rejection Reasons: Map has low quality terrain! Useful Links: The Important Site Rules. You can use Map...

M

Date: 20:08:46 29-Jul-12
Map Moderator: -Kobas-
Map Status: Rejected 1/5
Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message!

Rejection Reasons:
Map has low quality terrain!

Useful Links:
The Important Site Rules.
You can use Map Development Section for testing and improving your maps.
Need help with triggers/memory leaks? Make a thread in the Triggers & Scripts Section.
Got any World Editor related questions? Make a thread in the World Editor Help Zone Section.
Got any Requests (Terrain, resources, spells, systems, loading screens...)? Make a thread in the Requests Section.
The Important Site Tutorials.
If you have any complaints or questions about your map, please make a thread here:Map Resource Moderation.

Comment: Story is really bad.

Map has poor or no description!
In other words your map description is unacceptable.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/importance-description-127031/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/map-description-templates-171659/
Map has low quality terrain!
Terrain is really bad. Empty, without cool doodads, maybe some unique terrain techniques etc etc.
Map triggers are bad (Broken, leaks, not optimized)!
Well to make moderator review simple and short I globalized some things.
My tool will generate this msg for triggers if I find leaks, few basic errors or broken/bad scripts etc etc.
In your case we have next problems:
  • Unit - Order Arthas 0001 <gen> to Move To (Center of Front of Frostmourne <gen>)
Your trigger action create point leak, or should I say location leak.
This is bad.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/things-leak-35124/
There are few more threads/tutorials that explain this.
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of Region 009 <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl
You use same trigger actions over and over, you should use FOR function instead :)

Also creating units, setup variables etc is usually bad, and can ruin cinematic smoothness.

I suggest creating all units you will need, setup variables,
  • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
, and then just hide and unhide them while playing.

This way whole script can look organized and well optimized if you clean leaks and make code simple.

Level 3
So, any idea when the review might be complete? I've been visiting the map everyday ever since the update to see if it got approved. I know you got a lot to do, but still it's a 4:30 long cinematic only. Thanks for the moderator that reads this.

So, any idea when the review might be complete? I've been visiting the map everyday ever since the update to see if it got approved. I know you got a lot to do, but still it's a 4:30 long cinematic only. Thanks for the moderator that reads this.

Sorry, I promise I'll have it reviewed tomorrow :p

edit:

Memory leaks are not destroyed.
The 'make alliances' trigger is useless, you can just change the alliances under 'Scenario-Player Forces'

Anyways:

First off, the cinematic isn't really funny, rather childish humor and some of the dialogue transmissions wait for too long, a message like 'Ok' should only take a second and then the next scene should already start.
And then, the terrain, the horrifying terrain.
There's barely any tile variation in the palace chamber, random doodads like flowers, a fountain, armor racks, which are completely randomly placed all over the room.
Also you should try to avoid blizzard cliffs and use the height tools.
And the black citadel statue doesn't fit the snow environment.

Overall your idea is too simple, the jokes aren't funny, no real combat scenes, a very lacking terrain, also quite random and the triggering is not leak-free.

Rating: 1/5
Check out the links in my moderation comment.

Last edited:
Story is really bad, unacceptable really, it just make no sense at all.
Terrain is still plain, empty.
Camera movement is a little better than last time, that's good. Just try not to make static camera, move it even a little if needed.
Reduce transmission duration, just like Kael said, OK last 3 sec.

Take my advice:
Give up on this map. Create something else you have some knowledge now, check other cinematics get some new ideas.