• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Tower of Balzaphon v 2.03

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
The Tower of Balzaphon

This is a 96x96 melee map for 1 vs 1 players. It is designed with underground tile set. The general layout is wild terrain around a constructed site.

Neutrals and creeps
-5 gold mines (1 per base, 3 expanding, defended with orange creeps,).
-1 goblin markets defended with orange creeps.
-1 unguarded tavern.
-2 mercenary camp defended with an orange creep.
-2 goblin labs defended with orange creeps
-2 way gates with no guards.
-1 marketplace defended with a red creep

Creeps amount
- 10 green creeps (4 per player).
- 10 orange creeps (4 per player and 2 for competition).
- 1 red creep.

Strategy
-There are 2-3 ways for attack. The first one is by the normal path.
-The second is by waygates.
-Raiding the orange creep from the center goldmine at the right edge, allows a third path.
-The game is designed for a vertical fight, the lateral expanding are confortable, expanding to the gold mines in the middle will be competitive.
-The red creep goldmine in the left, has to be reached with goblin air transport. It has 20000 gold while the others have 12500.

Fictional hystory
Every map I create has fictional history behind its creation, the enviroment will have relation with the fictional history.

Tyrande Whisperwind led a great expedition to Northrend to make a war against the Lich King Arthas.She was commanding the night elves from her homeland and also she was being helped by the orc forces of Saurfang, the Forsaken forces of Sylvanas Windrunner, and representing the Alliance and the Knigths of the Ebon Blade, the death knigth Thassarian. After many victories against Anub´arak nerubian forces in Borean Tundra, Tyrande used the an undergound path through Iskaal river, and now she managed to get to the surface and wants to destroy the Tower of Balzaphon. Balzaphon is a lich under Arthas command. After the purge of Stratholme, Balzaphon rised all the corpses to build an undead army. Anub´arak warned Balzaphon of the living expedition, and they are planning to retreat by living some forces to hold the tower. They want to drag Tyrande army to the inner continent to set her a trap.

The Tower of Balzaphon Journal
Tyrande: We have to destroy this tower if we want to reach the Ice Crown Citadel.
Sentinel Velene Starstrike: my lady, we should infilatrate silently and ambush them.
Saurfang: yes your archers can do that, the troll shaman can make us invisible for some moments, we can make the first strike.
Thassarian: this is the tower of Balzaphon, if we can defeat him, it will be an important loss to Arthas forces.
Sylvanas: as lich, he will probably try to invocate more forces against us, we should strike fast.
Tyrande: Sylvanas, Saurfang, Velene, go, our forces will be hidding in the woods and will wait your signal to overrun the enemy.

Anub´arak: The living forces are here, they have followed me, and the are going to attack soon.
Balzaphon: I will not loose this tower without a battle. I will use all my energy to invocate more undeads.
Anub´arak: I wish to inform Baron Rivendare, with him we can design a trap.
Balzaphon: Go now, before the enemy attacks, I will delay them to buy us time.

After the battle in the Tower of Balzaphon, Anub´arak escaped the ambush, and the lich was defeated.
Tyrande: Do you have any last words lich?
Balzaphon: yes, my master anger will be your doom, you will serve him in the other life.
Saurfang, striked him with his thunder sword and vanquished the lich.
It will continue...

No imported matierial has been used, only WC3 preset elements

Changelog

Version 1.01 update
-I had Banshee with loot, if they use possession, you don´t loot items, changed loot from banshee to skeletons.
Version 1.02
-Removed units because they should not be used for melee
Version 1.03
- Set starting mana of the creeps to 100%
Version1.04
- Major thing: Changed neutrals (tavern, gates, market, mercenary camps)
- Added a couple of green creep 1 per player
-Added wood
Version 1.05
-Removed magic
-Removed near green creep
-Added more wood
Version 1.06
- Opened the right path
- Added gates that can be broken,
- The orange creep is in camp mode (200), it wont attack you unlees you go close were the green path ends

Version 2.00
-Remade the map in 96x96
Version 2.01
-More wood to bases
-Changed taverns positions
Version 2.02
-Loot re adjusted.
-1 goblin market deleted.
- Added 2 orange creeps level 13
-Corner expanding goldmines are more easy to conquer.
Version 2.03
Lot of changes, that much that I re-uploaded all the screens.

Credits

Map made by Ragnaros17
Contents

The Tower of Balzaphon (Map)

Reviews
Couple of suggestions: - Look into how blizzard's maps and see how they do item drops. I don't have energy to go over every single one, but they need rework - Make sure there are no gaps between trees so smaller units can't hide between them - Needs...
deepstrasz
Please when naming the file, write the number of players between brackets, eg: (2)MapName.w3x Maybe not use FX/doodads which look like Crypt Fiend attack projectiles. Same with Banish, Mana Drain, Death Coil. I suggest finding custom FX on the site...
deepstrasz
Changes made, Approved.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Couple of suggestions:
- Look into how blizzard's maps and see how they do item drops. I don't have energy to go over every single one, but they need rework
- Make sure there are no gaps between trees so smaller units can't hide between them
- Needs more trees in the starting areas
- I doubt players will be expanding much in this map given how easy and quick it is to rush the enemy. Try working around that so that the right side of the map isn't useless

Level 29
Couple of suggestions:
- Look into how blizzard's maps and see how they do item drops. I don't have energy to go over every single one, but they need rework
I will look it, I was guiding myself by creeps level
- Make sure there are no gaps between trees so smaller units can't hide between them
got it
- Needs more trees in the starting areas
got it
- I doubt players will be expanding much in this map given how easy and quick it is to rush the enemy. Try working around that so that the right side of the map isn't useless
I got an idea to fix that, I will change gates position so the right side will be more use, and rush will be for that part using the gates
noted

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Please when naming the file, write the number of players between brackets, eg: (2)MapName.w3x

Maybe not use FX/doodads which look like Crypt Fiend attack projectiles. Same with Banish, Mana Drain, Death Coil. I suggest finding custom FX on the site or on the net instead or at least changing their colour significantly.
Terrain is pretty much flat.
The first neutral camp to be engaged is too close to the player's base and the neutrals may come to attack buildings. Not only that but engaging said camp might attract those from the Mercenary Camp.
There is indeed lack of trees. I suggest surrounding the nearest Gold Mine, which is between the two players, with trees (fill that place till the Gold Mine touches with the trees). That way, there'll be enough trees and would make the map's strategy even more interesting. It will also kill annoying and lame rush games.

Awaiting Update.

=======================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 8
I don't like the fact that you cannot harass your opponent in earlier stages of the game due to all the ghosts in the middle - this lets Night Elf and Human palyers farm without any issues while Undead cannot put the pressure on them. Orc can still harass with their Blademaster, but playing Far Seer is no longer viable. I think the Ghosts should be removed as they discourage players from early fights, limit the number of strategies available and give certain races an advantage. Btw, if you really want them to stay, at least change their Aqcuisition Range to 200 so that a palyer can harass with their hero while the army will still be attacked.
newhum.png

Next thing is that some doodads on the map seem incredibly random, especially the ones around the Goblin Merchant. A Ziggurat? Ok. But then a barrel, a stone chair and an OBSERVATORY??? What is this??? These types of doodads don't go well together as the aesthetics of scale are distorted -> the Ziggurat (a place where multiple bear-sized spiders live) is the size of the chair which is THREE TIMES THE SIZE of the door to the Observatory. I know that sometimes certain units are sometimes bigger than they should be (Raiders on wolves are smaller than dwarfs, for example, BUT since the whole model is bigger then other units, it doesn't feel so out of place), but this is way too apparent and unnecessary to keep. There are a lot of doodads which you could use instead.
neworc.png

You had a nice idea with the shadows lurking in the darkness; nice easter egg, but it can't be really seen in game, not that it really matters.
newne.png

Also, I think that adding and additional path to your opponent would help make the map more interesting and allow for more strategies, since right now, the map feels very clunky and crowded due to having only one pathway to your opponent + the Waygates, which also aren't due to the creep camps which guard them. Clearing the paths shown in the picture would make it possible to attack your opponent early without having to fight the ghosts or battle golems, but it would take a bit more time to get to the enemy, which seems fair.
no kurde.png

As of right now, I don't find the map too fun to play due to the flaws I mentioned, but it can be quite easily fixed.

Level 29
my anwsers are in color

I don't like the fact that you cannot harass your opponent in earlier stages of the game due to all the ghosts in the middle - this lets Night Elf and Human palyers farm without any issues while Undead cannot put the pressure on them. Orc can still harass with their Blademaster, but playing Far Seer is no longer viable. I think the Ghosts should be removed as they discourage players from early fights, limit the number of strategies available and give certain races an advantage. Btw, if you really want them to stay, at least change their Aqcuisition Range to 200 so that a palyer can harass with their hero while the army will still be attacked.
View attachment 283952
you can use the gates defended by green creeps, you can take both if the other is really slow, again is to avoid militia rush, where peons can reach enemy base with militia form and serius damage, not fair at all, so I will let it be as it is, is the cost of a 64x64 melee map

Next thing is that some doodads on the map seem incredibly random, especially the ones around the Goblin Merchant. A Ziggurat? Ok. But then a barrel, a stone chair and an OBSERVATORY??? What is this??? These types of doodads don't go well together as the aesthetics of scale are distorted -> the Ziggurat (a place where multiple bear-sized spiders live) is the size of the chair which is THREE TIMES THE SIZE of the door to the Observatory. I know that sometimes certain units are sometimes bigger than they should be (Raiders on wolves are smaller than dwarfs, for example, BUT since the whole model is bigger then other units, it doesn't feel so out of place), but this is way too apparent and unnecessary to keep. There are a lot of doodads which you could use instead.
View attachment 283953
1) Did you read the fictional history????, yes that observatory with blue color represents the Tower of Balzaphon,
2) the zigurat, is an undead place, I wanted tu put the undead zigurat but is not allowed to use melee units as doodads, so I put the nerubian zigurat, since nerubians are under Arthas control and. is an undead zigurat.
3) a barrel is a barrel, barrels, boxes, there are barrels in undead places too. If you are going to question me because a barrel, and I have to respond because a barrel.... common mate give me a break, is just a barrel, it can be anywhere.
4)The throne chair, has history, there I put the lich Balzaphon, it was the chair of Balzaphon, but I removed him so now I see it lost its logic. But still in a tower there can be a place to just sit your self, there are stone benchs in Dalaran there are ice thrones in underground theme.
5)About the size of the things, well that depends, there are characters wich are gigants or twice / x3 a men, (wow dungeons, Vyrkul gigant race ) and you say it your self is hard in WC3 the proportion.

I tell you this, in my opinion this doodad review is not that good, (You are the only one complying because a barrel or a size of chair , see others review and it will be hard to find that kind exigent and Perfectionism, I tell you this as friend and in a friendly way, so you can do better reviews in future), in my opinion I think I stated a solid point of view about doodads (is not like I am puting a sunken ruin palm in Northrend).

You had a nice idea with the shadows lurking in the darkness; nice easter egg, but it can't be really seen in game, not that it really matters.
If you notice it is great, if not, dont mind, I removed the easter egg section forever,
View attachment 283954

Also, I think that adding and additional path to your opponent would help make the map more interesting and allow for more strategies, since right now, the map feels very clunky and crowded due to having only one pathway to your opponent + the Waygates, which also aren't due to the creep camps which guard them. Clearing the paths shown in the picture would make it possible to attack your opponent early without having to fight the ghosts or battle golems, but it would take a bit more time to get to the enemy, which seems fair.
View attachment 283955
At the very begining, the red creep goldmine could be used as path , but the mod stated that to avoid early rush, to cover it with wood (and to have more wood). I obbeyed the mod recomendation to get the approve so please dont throw me a recomendation that contradicts the mod recomendation. If the approve of the mod would recommended me to delete the ghost orange creep, I would do it, it is not the case, so I dont want to change things now it is approved.

As of right now, I don't find the map too fun to play due to the flaws I mentioned, but it can be quite easily fixed.
Sorry mate, but the map was already reviewed, modarated and approved, unless the mods gives me a second review to fix somenthing or an user spots a major bug. I would like to keep the map as it is (since this is not a map for a contest, I dont mind to keep it as 3/5 approved and with a not very popular opinion). Minor things or other options / opinions I would consider them for the future but not for this map. I will take note of your comments for the future maps. Thanks for your time, good luck

Level 10
I went over twojstaryjakcie's comment and I found them to be very convincing. Especially in terms of pathing, no player should be interrupted by creeps, hence blocking the only existing pathway to the enemy looks very weird.

I think you should really listen to what he says as removing creeps takes no longer than 5 mins.

This is as if you're uploading maps just to get an approval from reviewers.

Level 8
@Ragnaros17
Ok, this is my final post on this map with clear explanation of what I exactly mean presented in a picture, since I don't want to rate the map so low, yet I want it to be more flexible.

707BOIS.png

Gates are an alternative to creeps, they can be destroyed but they don't have to and they complete negate Militia Rush

The second path to your opponent is much longer and Militia Rush isn't possible here either, but it lets you scout your opponent without wasting time on destroying the gates.

It's your map, do what you want with it, but I think these changes would be very beneficial for the gameplay.

Last edited:
Level 29

forgive me , I didnt understand your idea at first, I was thinking you wanted me to clear the left side, the one the mod ordered me to close so thats why I was very mind-closed in that matter

I study your idea,
1) clearing the goldmine is not that problem

I am thinking, about the gates, thats new, well, , I usually avoid gates because AI dont know what to do with them, but in this case AI can use the warp gate and the goldmines path, It is an atractive idea, I like it, never minded jail gates,

I will test it to see how it works

Level 29
Ah I forgot to tell you this.

The main has thin tree walls. Since the map size is 84 x 80, it can be extended to 84 x 84 to put more trees.

done, both things.

edit:
Version 2.02
-Loot re adjusted.
-1 goblin market deleted.
- Added 2 orange creeps level 13
-Corner expanding goldmines are more easy to conquer.

Level 2
just tell me how do u edit the object data without getting it go to the oldest patch ?

Level 29
just tell me how do u edit the object data without getting it go to the oldest patch ?

Hello there.

1) I not shure about your question. I work with the 1.26 v (since 1.29 was buggy, and 1.30 , I still don´t trust it since I heard of some bugs yet).

2) This is not the place to ask such question. Maybe you should try in the forums.

World Editor Help Zone

see ya

edit: v 2.03, a lot of changes.