• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Power of Three v1.19

The Power of Three
Created by Raven (thag)

Take on the role of one of the three different heroes and save the world from the upcoming Darkness!

Map Description

Changelog

Credits

Author's Notes

Map Description
The Power of Three is a singleplayer, story based RPG map, where you must fight your way through all the continents to save one of the Three God forms,​
who was kidnapped to an unknown place. There are 3 different playable heroes, sorted by their specializations (agility, strenght, intellect) with new custom abilities,​
along with a skill point system, where you can choose what stats you want to increase.​
Map Features:
About 5-6 hours of gameplay
Skill points: Every time your hero level up, you gain 5 skill points and another 5 for every defeated Boss, Skill points can be used to upgrade your stats, or buy end game item recipes so spend them wisely.​
Five Story ACTS: There are total of 5 main story Act quests along with several side quests. Map is semi-linear, in other words, every side quest can be done during your main journey.​
Custom RPG Music: Map also contains custom music from different sources on certain locations, like dungeons, towns or boss fights. So feel free to turn music on, if you like it.​
Town Portals: Map is quite large, so it also includes total of 6 town portals which can be used to travel between locations. More about that in Author's notes.
Black Market: There is also a hidden ingame location, where you can buy recipes and craft legendary weapons and armor.
Dialogue consequences and riddles: In some ocassions, there will be few dialogue decisions, along with some riddles, which can affect your future journey. Don't forget to turn on subtitles!
3rd person view(Optional): This idea was originally to be used for the whole map, but was later scrapped. You can enable 3rd person view, after first playthrough of the map.
192824-387241ba5d10bd98b1322426e7949943.png
192825-a25213edcb052fcedef6c5b42df88b6b.png
192826-8a7d1e8fdb36a82351e50c596dd27c65.png
192827-9d9761878a2ad371cf238f7c79d5a91d.png

Changelog
[2021-06-13]

• Map Uploaded.

[2021-06-16]

• A small balance tuning hotfix.
    • Increased damage for many units across the map.
    • Slightly nerfed Warrior and Lycanthrope's baseline stat multiplier.
    • Improved mini-boss fight in Black Market.
    • Removed many potions from loot drop tables (now you'll have to buy them more often).
    • Fixed Level of some units, to match more of the hero.

[2021-06-24]

• Text corrections of several dialogues in cinematics.
    • Slightly increased attack range of some ranged units.
    • Nerfed Sorcerer's baseline attack range to 550 (down from 600).
    • Increased spell attack range of Fatal wound to match the Warrior hero melee range.

[2021-10-4]

• NEW: Added an option to disable camera lock, simply by typing cam in the chat.
    • Fixed an issue with Roibaen Tower model randomly changing its appearance.
    • Fixed collision issues with critters sometimes blocking patrolling guards.
    • Changed height of most bridges (thanks for the tip Deepstrasz).
    • Fixed an issue causing player character to get loosen during Firraveus cinematic at the end of ACT II.
    • Fixed an issue causing paladins to not following you during Prison encounter. (now you're not alone in the darkness).
    • Added few more pathing blockers to certain areas.
    • Nerfed Warrior's Sweeping strikes range to 150 (down from 200).
    • Some minor tooltip fixes.

[2023-07-13]

• Added Reforged version of the map.
    • Several dialogue changes and improvements across the whole map.
    • Various bugfixes and triggers improvements.
    • Revamped Ending Credits cutscene.
    • Small terrain changes.
    • Minor spell tuning.

Credits

Special Thanks to:
    • General Frank, for Ogrim model.
    • Dentothor, for Vezax model.
    • PROXY, for Death Knight model.
    • VictorZ, for Thrall Dismounted model.
    • Hiveworkshop for tutorials and place to upload.
    • My Beta testers and friends Plevel and Mrazak.
    • All music credits belongs to their owners!

Author's Notes
This is my first RPG map, second map in total to be uploaded.
Map is purely vanilla, only containing 3 custom models and music soundtracks.
I tried to made it noob friendly, but, without challenge, there will be no fun, so sometimes its better to just run away and wait for potion cooldowns :).
Development of this map started 2014, and it took me 7 years to finish, with several breaks for School and later Work.
Map was first made to be in 3rd person view mode, because of that, the first half of the map is much larger, but that idea was later scrapped. There is however a special code, which you can receive at the end of the game, which allows you to play in 3rd person. But because map is not made for 3rd person anymore, you will need to re-enable your 3rd camera after every cinematic by pressing an arrow key.
Map was made in JNGP, so it should work in all pre-reforged versions of the game. It was tested on 1.27, 1.28.5 and 1.30, However I recommend playing it on older versions than 1.30.
That's all. I hope you'll like it.

Contents

The Power of Three REFORGED (Map)

The Power of Three v1.18 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The tower near Roibaen changes from a Scout to a Canon Tower. It's weird. Also, some pathing blockers should be placed around it since you can pretty much go through it. Lol, he's here to find a missing god but his first quest of importance is finding...
Level 15
So, after setting aside some time to play this I have got to say that I am pretty impressed. The map is fully complete and there were no game breaking bugs that I encountered through my playthrough. I selected sorcerer as my character for playing through the map, and overall it took me about 4-5 hours to complete.

The visual style is definitively warcraft 3, with most buildings and units to scale with what one might expect to find in a warcraft 3 campaign. Despite this the villages felt quite homely, and the major cities felt like large cities. This visual style ended up complementing the gameplay and narrative which both veered from the overtly complex into being much simpler to parse.

Considering the gameplay, it was easy to tell that there was restraint when considering Hero design. If the sorcerer is any indication, the gameplay was meant to be kept as close to utilizing a warcraft 3 hero as possible. This means no crazy innovative class resources or ability schemes, yet there was clear synergy. The sorcerer had three basic abilities and an ultimate, much like a basic warcraft 3 hero, but it was intelligently designed. I had a point and click stun, an aoe ability, and an ability for survival. This is all one really needs when playing an rpg, the diversity is important and allows a player to ask questions like, “When do I need to use this stun?” This choice in combat is what ultimately had me still playing even in to the later levels. Overall, the gameplay was quite nice save for some minor hiccups which will be listed at the bottom for convenience sake.

Considering the narrative, when encountering npcs and accepting quests, you were generally already known to be the protagonist or “hero” in their words. There was this expectation that you were there to beat evil and take names, and that you were all out of names. This is by no means pejorative; the map’s approach did not require nuance like say World of Warcraft. In World of Warcraft, you are but one hero of thousands even as EVERYONE is painted as essential despite the reality. Yet in this map there really is just The Hero, YOU, so it has a bit of charm. The story is fun, its fantasy, it’s a dark looming threat over the horizon. But the most important aspect of the story is that it had progression. I did not start out fighting Hulk Hogan, instead they started me out with Jake Paul. It felt natural. Despite this the transitions could use a bit of work, I felt as though there would be a bit of absent context for certain sequences into the next. An example of this could be around 1/4th of the way in to the map, where you have to hitch a ride on a boat after defeating a boss. I knew where the boat was because I had seen it after a skirmish in the area, yet I must have missed the logical sequence of events that would imply it obvious that I go to the boat. For something like that, a short cinematic or queue beyond just a quest objective would be neat.

Overall, the experience was quite nice, it is enjoyable enough that I believe it is worth playing. Yet despite my enjoyment, there are a few things that could be worked on:

-Enemy placement in some areas was a bit odd, I found that as a sorcerer I could outrange most ranged enemies and just kill them from beyond barriers.

-Side quests became less prevalent shortly after Thundermaw.

-The cinematics were riddled with typos beyond the third act. This is a minor hiccup and ostensibly did not affect my enjoyment, but it is still something to work on. One of the first typos as an example of what I am referencing is, “You can help by searching my lost dog.” Which is a line stated by Mayor Maxson at the beginning of the game.

-I mentioned the gameplay and hero progression before, the only moment that irked me was towards the end of the game where most enemies seemed to have an abundance of bash/stun effects. It seems to be common place in most rpgs so I could be missing something, but it is not to my taste and I also find that there are more interesting solutions to designing tougher end game enemies. My suggestion would be perhaps a combination of tamer stun mechanics and maybe some aoe ground effects? I did not find that I had to move around very much in combat so perhaps a few small range flamestrikes might mix it up a bit.

-The music did not always match up to the situation, for example the music in Thundermaw was super bombastic while the last boss fight’s music was overly calm.

These are of course my own criticisms and do not overshadow my enjoyment of the rpg. But in terms of my favorite things this rpg had to offer:

-There are subtle environmental hints for where you need to go next such as footprints.

-There was a fight on a bridge (I love fights on bridges do not judge me.)

-Item crafting in the late game is a cool way to balance out the progression curve and renew interest after playing for an hour or two.

-The story never held back and there was a certain comical ‘awareness’, it also held a few charming references that did not feel forced or overtly abundant.

-The dungeons and world conveyed atmosphere through the warcraft 3 visual style rather than ‘in spite of it’

Overall, The Power of Three is a great map and I recommend it to other RPG lovers! It is clear that a lot of care and time has been put in to this and it does not feel like some throw-away map. I will be watching this for major developments as a full playthrough is a bit of a commitment and unfortunately, I do not if I will have time for another one any time soon.

Right now, I am giving it a rating of 4/5 but I will change that to a 5/5 if either the music placement or typos are addressed in a future patch.

Level 6
Overall, the experience was quite nice, it is enjoyable enough that I believe it is worth playing. Yet despite my enjoyment, there are a few things that could be worked on:

-Enemy placement in some areas was a bit odd, I found that as a sorcerer I could outrange most ranged enemies and just kill them from beyond barriers.

-Side quests became less prevalent shortly after Thundermaw.

-The cinematics were riddled with typos beyond the third act. This is a minor hiccup and ostensibly did not affect my enjoyment, but it is still something to work on. One of the first typos as an example of what I am referencing is, “You can help by searching my lost dog.” Which is a line stated by Mayor Maxson at the beginning of the game.

-I mentioned the gameplay and hero progression before, the only moment that irked me was towards the end of the game where most enemies seemed to have an abundance of bash/stun effects. It seems to be common place in most rpgs so I could be missing something, but it is not to my taste and I also find that there are more interesting solutions to designing tougher end game enemies. My suggestion would be perhaps a combination of tamer stun mechanics and maybe some aoe ground effects? I did not find that I had to move around very much in combat so perhaps a few small range flamestrikes might mix it up a bit.

-The music did not always match up to the situation, for example the music in Thundermaw was super bombastic while the last boss fight’s music was overly calm.

Hi, thank you for your honest feedback, I really appreciate it and will look at the shortcomings soon.

I did a several text corrections before release, but I agree, there's still some weird typos I'll look into. About the music, as a music enthusiasth, for me personally, the final boss soundtrack fit perfectly. It's a Malthael Boss theme from D3 and while I agree it's a bit slow, it has the dark atmosphere feeling. I tried to find some dark lovercraft-style music, but they were either short or I did not like them that much. Most of the other boss tracks are from Hunted, The Demon's forge, but they are rather short.

-The story never held back and there was a certain comical ‘awareness’, it also held a few charming references that did not feel forced or overtly abundant.

Glad to see someone know the Monthy Python show :D

Last edited:
Level 6
Any reasons for the author and username difference?
Hello, sorry for the confusion with names, thag is just my old username in this website, otherwise i'm using my nickname Raven in everything else.
If it's a problem, I will change my name here on hive. Anyway, the map was made by me as I am the same person.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hello, sorry for the confusion with names, thag is just my old username in this website, otherwise i'm using my nickname Raven in everything else.
If it's a problem, I will change my name here on hive. Anyway, the map was made by me as I am the same person.
Just mention it somewhere in the map thread description.

Also, please credit other resources taken from somewhere else than Warcraft III. You wrote music belongs to their owners but which are those? Some names or game/company names from where they are taken from.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. The tower near Roibaen changes from a Scout to a Canon Tower. It's weird. Also, some pathing blockers should be placed around it since you can pretty much go through it.
  2. Lol, he's here to find a missing god but his first quest of importance is finding a dog that's just outside the village. There's some issue with the quest completion triggering if the dog is too near the mayor when you use the item on it.
  3. Bridges should be placed more up. Use CTRL+PAGE UP/DOWN when you have the destructible selected.
  4. The gameplay seems rather linear.
  5. One of the acolytes that appeared after killing the bandit leader disappeared when I finished the quest.
  6. The Militia Knights patrolling on the bridge get hampered by the sheep and slow you down.
  7. I mean, why don't people like the Dragonwall general help you take care of stuff like the cult and send you alone without even knowing you or having an idea of your prowess?
  8. Fearsome Howl switches place with Second Wind after game load.
  9. Try not to use black boundary as it looks ugly but pathing blockers and doodads instead.
  10. In the scene where you meet the dreadlord and pitlord, the hero is loose to attack and the enemy too.
  11. Would be nice for the skill points items to have hotkeys (QWERTY).
  12. The paladins don't actually come with you to face the terror. And they talk as if they're there but aren't.
  13. The ancient guardians should have their animations reset as they slide like on ice skates.
  14. Maybe find a way to use potions without needing to use an inventory slot so you can keep a weapon or an item to make you stronger.
  15. By the time you reach the last part with the God of Death, you have max level and the faceless units don't really drop anything.
  16. There's an issue with pathing blockers (see image). Same with some bookshelves.
  17. 1.png
    2.png

Generally, an old school type RPG map with some replayability. Some glimpses of DIablo gameplay.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
    Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
    BB CODES
    BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
    Description Guide - Melee Maps
    Describing Your Melee Map
    Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
    The importance of a Description
    Description Guide - Maps
    Map Thread Guide
    Map Description Making: Good & Bad
    Map Description - Templates
    Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
    • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
    • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
    • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.
    [*]

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
    Paillan
    Alexen
    eubz
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 5
Hi there.
Lets get into it, shall we?

I read some of the reviews and i agree with the lot.
My critisism isnt meant to devalue the game, its purpose is to improve it.
General thoughts
I like the general feel of everything and i enjoyed most of the playthrough.
I played the agility hero MK and i found the begining of the game kind of mindbagling.
I feel that my quest should be right away finding clues on what the hell is going on and not searching for a dog.
But if the dog was to serve a purpose latter that would be interesting.
So one thought for the future is whatever you add in your games give them dual purpose of existence.
Everything will become relavant in its own way.
Regarding practical issues
1 T
here are a lot of back and forth and in some cases the back and forth is more than
the task its self.
2 The locked camera on the hero makes moving back to a location very tiring.
3 Early regen options are very scarce in contrast with the mid and late game when they are in abundance,
actually more than needed.
I feel that it should be the other way around as in late game the game should get harder not easier.
Bugs
I encountered some issues regarding triggers like the black market (nice humorous addition). I couldnt get out.
I reloaded the map 3 times and finally it worked.

A lot of interesting quests in total.
It is a good game and i ll give it a 4/5 stars for effort and concept.

Last edited:
Level 7
from the screenshots it seems like it needs bunch of models(necessary for highset rate),
i review soon

Level 7
Why? The map is good as it is in terms of visuals. Spice is just a luxury. Should not be a criterion for higher rating.
luxury is not bad when it needs some work and efforc to be added to the mix(finding the right model and stuff),in the long run it will make a good and fresh experience,which i highly recommend.
and i pefer more spicy stuff cuase it not only feels new it also feels unique and cool
and it only affect one star in my review's.

Level 7
Spoiler Alert

Take note that map was reviewed not comparing it to any other map available anywhere and all of the review was made to approve the map into a better self,and it does not suggest to play or not to play.and review was made on version 1.17 of this map.

Story:well you don’t just summon a random person and suddenly that person decides to help you in a divine like quest especially when that person knows who he is(which makes him wana return to hes home whats so ever).well pandas as gods?,and a person alone destroys 2 demon legions?.

General:Spells got shortcut good,and locked camera is not kinda my thing at all,max lifes idk I tell you later if its good or not to lose like this(its no problem),and need bunch of custom models added to the map(I don’t care about file size),no skip cinematic,that chest was good,and teleport,well music changes based on your location that’s good,I can target debris with mighty blow(warriors Q lvl)no problem anyway,sweeping strike just got huge range,need a pool in first town and second one too,I don’t know who told you to make locked camera or as you say 3D view but let me tell you its not good at all, enemies are so close to each other its hard to pull,that sign got good directions,and the fact that I can pull any enemy to anywhere I want(even towns)is not good,bunch of grammer mistakes,crates with tome’s and gold in are good but better if you spread them across map not to gather them in one place,a teleport after the boss in the next town would be nice,so long boss battles was 100% hit lvls and who kills first,and my 3 extra lvls keep swiching place don’t know when.

Gameplay:well I killed bush(the mayors dog)(I just kill )and now idk what to do(gonna restart),i can kill almost anyone in town(give them invulnerable armor),no quest in dragon wall village honesty I expected more,random perosn go kill cult of demons not what I expect from a random person who whats to see lord of town, that felt like a city good job,teleports even exist cuase I need one it’s a long way back,a lot of mana potion stacks drop I need health too,I did the quest so now I got the permission to pass the guards but I never said to warren that I finish,finally a teleport and shop and shop only had few items,well knights block the bridge cant help them until a lot of them are dead(all of them died),boss battle a warning would be nice,and mid battle he says its time for INFERNO but nothing happens then after couple sec I just kill him(the loot was good),warlock would be a better name than sorcerer,that speed buff after boss was good,saw that marchent and beat hes ass,I rather kill Nerothos too anyway,in the cutscene where they are talking about the artifact my hero fights the undead while,random person lets talk about black market,well paladins didn’t join the fight,from a point there is no fight only enemys wasting my time and delay me to get to the end(I cant die),I hit the lever in the ice citedal and I think I heard Yogg saron’s voice cool(yup that’s him),well a C’thraxxi general great for a god of death.

overall 3/5 a lot of time was put into this map and it can be approved a lot.

Last edited:
Level 6
Gameplay:well I killed bush(the mayors dog)(I just kill stuff)and now idk what to do(gonna restart),i can kill almost anyone in town(give them invulnerable armor),
Hello,
Thank you for your review, all the Important characters should already be invulnerable, but the dog Bush is part of side quest, which isn't necessary to do in order to continue the main storyline, so you can skip this quest, no need to restart or anything and just head straight into the Dragonwall City.
I don’t know who told you to make locked camera or as you say 3D view but let me tell you its not good at all, enemies are so close to each other its hard to pull,
I'll add an option to turn it off in the next update, which will be there soon.

Last edited:
Level 8
Map is good for playing.
Found very minor bugs. If they can be called such. (Rather, my stuffy nagging)

1) On the bridge, where the Militia Knights (Dragonfall) patrol, my hero also begins to patrol after them if I pass them. (As I understand it, the trigger patrol is tied to the regions, so the incoming one starts to patrol).

2) The "cam" command must be written every time after a dialogue with a unit. (Because she starts to get attached to the hero again)

3) Just attaching a screenshot Lmao.png

Level 6
1) On the bridge, where the Militia Knights (Dragonfall) patrol, my hero also begins to patrol after them if I pass them. (As I understand it, the trigger patrol is tied to the regions, so the incoming one starts to patrol).
Well that shouldn't happen, because the trigger is tied to unit groups, not just region and your character is not part of patroling group. I will look into that in the future...

Level 3
How i can go in black market? I was found two elven statues in forest but nothing was happened. I tried it in night

Level 3
I can't really tell, since it's a small secret, but quest's gossip hints what kind of statue it is and when you are nearby the correct one during night time, something or someone will appear.
Thanks, i found it. But as i see i can enter here only one time and after i leaving i cant back?

Level 1
The lady said it was a huntress statue in the forest. Found a huntress statue, nothing happened... even during the time changes when the notice comes up. If there's a different elven statue, seems strange you would include two matching the description but I haven't found a second one yet. Feels like it won't let me enter even though I found what I was supposed to find and sat there for a full day cycle.

Level 6
Thanks, i found it. But as i see i can enter here only one time and after i leaving i cant back?
You can go back through Town Portal from the city.
Found a huntress statue, nothing happened... even during the time changes when the notice comes up.
Just in case I did a test and its working as intended. If you still have a problem, send me a PM.

Level 23
Played this through and had some fun. Played as the Lonely Warrior and combat was maybe a little off; started very slow and then, once I got tomed up the wazoo, was pretty much effortless. Most of the areas also felt a little large, maybe a bit too much aimless wandering (or maybe it could have done with more side quests and "stuff" to be found in the all the nooks and crannies, to fill that space).

Nice sequel hook though. I knew that dude was sus. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 6
Played this through and had some fun. Played as the Lonely Warrior and combat was maybe a little off; started very slow and then, once I got tomed up the wazoo, was pretty much effortless. Most of the areas also felt a little large, maybe a bit too much aimless wandering (or maybe it could have done with more side quests and "stuff" to be found in the all the nooks and crannies, to fill that space).

Nice sequel hook though. I knew that dude was sus. :ogre_hurrhurr:
Hey there, this map was intended to be in third person view in the first place, so because of that, it is quite large in the first half, but later, I changed my mind and left it with standard view. My original goal was to be more like World of Warcraft. However, you can try the third person after first gameplay as a bonus, but it's not suited for it anymore, so you'll have to adjust camera after every small cinematic. I agree with the balance in the endgame, might revisit it someday and do a little more tuning, but since release I have much less time to play with editor, so I'm not sure. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it atleast a bit. :)

Level 13
Hello guys, while slowly working on a sequel, I've decided to upload a Reforged version of my map, so more people will be able to play it and enjoy the new graphics. Also did a few improvements and bug fixes that some of you may have found before.

TPoT v1.18: Is there planned to be an update to at least 1.27 with improvements and bug fixes included? If NO - does the map work properly on 1.27 or 1.30, has it been tested on those versions?

Level 6
TPoT v1.18: Is there planned to be an update to at least 1.27 with improvements and bug fixes included? If NO - does the map work properly on 1.27 or 1.30, has it been tested on those versions?
Hello, there are no planned updates at the moment as the Reforged version was the last one. As for TPoT v1.18, map should work in all pre-reforged versions. It was tested by myself on 1.27b 1.28.5 and 1.30 as said in map description. Don't mind the recommended version typo in the map content, it shows much older version of the editor, because map was made in JassNewGen and not in the WC3 Editor. The Reforged version was made in WC3 Editor.

If you encounter any problems, just let me know :)

Level 13
Hello, there are no planned updates at the moment as the Reforged version was the last one. As for TPoT v1.18, map should work in all pre-reforged versions. It was tested by myself on 1.27b 1.28.5 and 1.30 as said in map description. Don't mind the recommended version typo in the map content, it shows much older version of the editor, because map was made in JassNewGen and not in the WC3 Editor. The Reforged version was made in WC3 Editor.

If you encounter any problems, just let me know :)

My mistake. Thanks.