1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Horrid Commune v0.96a

Submitted by Kerael
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
A small town is drowning in the undead plague, while a clan of marauders ravage contaminated surroundings full of rabid beasts.

A squad of Heroes find themselves in a dire situation, taking charge of the doomed town's defence.

Another peril, looming in the twilight, are the Bane twins - undead manhunters - fueled by the thrill of bloodshed.

Gameplay

Town: Protect the town against waves of undead, culminating in Boss assaults of different themes.
In the spare time, explore the outside lands for resources, items and possible allies.
Climb up the Town's tech-tree and rebuild its razed structures. When all buildings are destroyed, excepting Tents and Watch Towers, the game will result in Defeat of the Town.

Basic ability kit: Jump (D), Build and Repair Barricades, First Aid (E), Melee (F)
Classes: Soldier, Medic, Builder, Fireworker

Necropolis: Hunt beasts and marauders until you are powerful enough to assault the Town alongside the undead waves.
You can however ambush Heroes who stray from the group.
Wear out the Town and sabotage its economy to make way for the final assault aided by the Monstrosity. When its putrid heart no longer beats, the game will result in Defeat of the Necropolis.

Basic ability kit: Higher Jump (D) and Death from Above (D mid-air), Throw Filth, Cannibalize, Veil, Bleed (passive)
Classes: Maniac, Necromancer

Custom Mechanics

Classes and Workplaces: In order to select a class, research a corresponding upgrade from your Peasant/Acolyte. Each class has it's own column of upgrades, however you can also research first-tier upgrades from another classes for the well-rounded composition of your hero.
After selecting a class, the Town's Hero will access his own economic building, which - once Repaired - will start to accrue its balance over 4 minutes, until halting. Repair it again to withdraw the balance as gold and various items for Town's people. Be aware that Banes can halt these buildings by using Filth.

Flame and Water: There are various sources of Fire throughout the map. Fire damages ALL units around it and spreads onto them after the ignition period (normal: 3 seconds, Fel Flame: 2 seconds). This process may continue indefinitely, however each individual unit burns for 5-10 seconds on average. Mechanical units take double damage from Fire as well as burn longer. Some upgrades provide Fire Resistance.
Water can be used to put out Flames from the target object and the surrounding area. Additionally, Flame duration is halved during rain.

Bleed and Mend: Most enemies have a chance to inflict Bleed when attacking living units. Bleed lasts indefinitely and deals increasing damage each second. After 10 seconds - when the damage reaches maximum - it provides a speed boost to surrounding enemies. Some items and upgrades increase Bleed Chance and/or Bleed Power (damage multiplier).
Most healing abilities will remove Bleed from a unit.

Mounts: Yes. Right-click on an available mount when in melee range to.. mount it. Mounts enable attacks in motion, accelerate until they can knock enemies back and allow to hop over obstacles by right-clicking them. Some items and upgrades allow to mount more types of units.
Press Hold to dismount.

Talents: Each 5th level unlocks a new tier of Talents for further hero customization. Talents may grant a passive effect, modify some of the basic abilities or provide a new active ability to your kit.
Talents can be selected by pressing F8.

Game version 1.31.1 or higher is required.

v0.96a (09/11/19)
General:
- Exp bounty for All Heroes reduced from 30 to 25
Town:
- Town people are now affected by difficulty settings
- Adjusted Exp/Gold bounty for most of the Town people (mostly increased Gold bounty)
- Worker training time reduced from 30 to 24 seconds
- Guard training time reduced from 45 to 40 seconds

- Keep armor increased from 13 to 15
- Castle armor increased from 15 to 18
- Guard Tower armor increased from 8 to 10
- Watch Tower armor increased from 7 to 8

Heroes:
Soldier:
- Jet Jump cooldown increased from 18 to 20 seconds
Neutrals:
- Ghost Clan Crib armor increased from 3 to 4
- Ghost Clan Cabin armor increased from 7 to 8
- Ghost Clan Watch Tower armor increased from 4 to 6
Bug Fixes:
- Fixed an AI issue causing Workers to be stuck
- Fixed Warlords' (alternate form) left head being detached from the body
- Fixed Bear Pelt effect not working
- Corrected some tooltip inaccuracies

v0.96 (09/09/19)
Interface:
- Added a Loading Screen picture
- Added Heroes' Responses
- Updated On-Death sounds

- Primary Ability Hotkey changed from (F) / (R) to (Q)
- Secondary Ability Hotkey changed from (G) / (T) to (W)
- Melee Hotkey changed from (Q) to (F)
- Veil Hotkey changed from (V) to (E)

- Changed chat command !c to -color (values: 0 - 23)
- Changed chat command !z to -zoom (values: 0 - 1000)
- Changed chat command !r to -range (values: 0 - 1000)
- Changed chat command !r- to -rangeoff
- Changed chat command !h to -hints

General:

- All Heroes' Tier 2 Upgrades now cost 200 gold + 200 lumber (Level 1) and 200 gold + 400 lumber (Level 2)
- All Heroes' Tier 3 Upgrades now cost 300 gold + 300 lumber (Level 1) and 600 gold + 600 lumber (Level 2)
Note: Total Upgrade cost for each Class is increased by 200 gold + 50 lumber

- Experience/Gold share AoE reduced from 1200 to 1000
- Slightly reduced the amount of undead spawned at waves 16-25
- Basic versions of Class-upgrades now cannot be researched before getting a Class of one's own
- Players' Peasant/Acolyte now has a 6-slot inventory

Town:

- Large units are no longer stuck in diagonal Gates
- Increased HP treshold at which Gates are forced to open from 20% to 25%
- Workers Repair rate increased from 10 to 12.5 hp per second

- Farm/Big Pharm food spawn period increased from 60 to 80 seconds; 3 critters will spawn from a full work cycle instead of 4; 6 instead of 8 with the quest completed
- Added an indicator for used/needed Water on the Lumbermill

Heroes:

Talents:
- Proper Lashing (Level 5) Net throw distance reduced from 300 to 250; this is to prevent ocasional overshoots

Soldier:

- Fiery Fire bonus attack speed reduced from 30% to 15%
- Fiery Fire no longer deals AoE damage on the 4th shot
- Fiery Fire now deals +50% critical damage on the 4th shot

- Advanced Weaponry (Level 1) reduced bonus attack speed from 20% to 15%
- Advanced Weaponry (Level 2) no longer causes Fiery Fire to reduce armor
- Advanced Weaponry (Level 2) now increases Fiery Fire bonus attack speed to 30% and its critical damage to +100%

- Enhanced Mobility Upgrade renamed to Jet Jump
- Jet Jump (Level 2) damage from unused fuel increased from 20 to 25 per charge (100 damage max)

Medic:

- First Aid targeting effect will no longer appear when First Aid is on cooldown

Builder:

- Fix-it Hammer damage increased from 20 to 25
- Fix-it Hammer will now attempt to enter Repair-mode when the target point is near a building; this is mostly to prevent accidental hitbox-misses

Fireworker:

- Flamethrower can now be cancelled by pressing Esc

Necropolis:

- Monster Tentacles damage increased by 2
- Warlords' Weaken can no longer pull Resistant targets; the same applies to the Dead Head item ability

Heroes:

- Starting lumber increased to 50
- Movement Speed increased from 325 to 330
- Filth bonus damage to mechanical units reduced from 100% to 50%; Corpse Wagon damage is unchanged
- Filth damage to Workplaces reduced from 50% to 40%
- Death from Above target will now be lost when it is out of 1200 range
- Blight Ritual Upgrade cost increased from 200 gold to 350 lumber

Maniac:

- Blood Mark total damage increased from 75 to 100
- Blood Mark slow reduced from 50% to 30%
- Blood Mark cooldown increased from 18 to 20 seconds
- Blood Mark now has a lifespan of 2 minutes
- Blood Mark now has the 5% current health cost by default

- Blind Frenzy Upgrade renamed to Lifesteal
- Level 1: Grants 20% lifesteal from damage dealt with attacks, Rip and Blood Mark
- Level 2 (Greater Lifesteal): Increases lifesteal to 30% and transfers the healing to nearby allies when at full life
- Lifesteal amount is affected by the target's current Bleed Power
- Lifesteal effectiveness is reduced to 25% against enemy undead. Lifesteal does not work against mechanical units

Necromancer:

- Each Locust will now drain 1 HP per second from the Necromancer
- When at 25% HP or less, Locusts will sacrifice themselves to heal the hero for 75 HP each
- A Locust will now spawn instantly upon respawn and when their limit is increased (via upgrade/talent)

- Raise Dead mana cost removed
- Raise Dead can now reanimate neutral units (except large units like Bear)
- Raise Dead Bonus HP increased from 50 to 100; doesn't apply to neutral units
- Neutral units will count as Undead upon reanimation, but have a lifespan of 2 minutes

Neutrals:

- Added a new type of Boars: 2 less armor, 2 less damage, 300 attack range, 3-target multishot

- Limit of forest animals increased by 1
- Forest animals respawn time reduced from 60 to 50 seconds
- Ghost Clan Thief training time reduced from 45 to 30 seconds

- Scarab renamed to Beetle
- Beetle health reduced by 20
- Beetle damage reduced by 2

- Boars now spawn after 5 minutes from the start
- Dire Wolves now spawn after 10 minutes instead of 5
- Black Wolf now spawns after 15 minutes instead of 10
- Grizzly Bear now spawns after 20 minutes instead of 15

Items:

- Amount of lumber obtained by hitting Rottenroot with a Hatchet reduced from 25 - 50 to 10 - 20
- Corpse-item spellbook no longer uses shared cooldown for its spells
- Twitching Eye now has a lifespan of 4 minutes; cast range increased from 300 to 400
- Lurker Fin/Flipper cost reduced from 250/500 to 150/300
- Lurker Skin/Scales/Shell proc chance reduced from 40% to 35%
- Maximum number of active Medkits (which are stored in a buff) reduced from 3 to 1; healing increased from 125 to 150
- 'Free Gold' spawn cooldown increased from 120 to 150 seconds

Bug Fixes:

- Optimized Blade Shield trigger; this will partially reduce lags in the late game
- Removed a noisy effect when a near-empty Well spams mana recharge
- Fixed Blood Mark incorrectly dealing one more damage instance
- Fixed Medic's First Aid healing allies with a level 1 ability
- Fixed a corpse-item dropping on ground when Cannibalize is cancelled via dying
- Advanced Artillery Quest can now be properly finished
- Updated some tooltips and corrected typos

v0.95 (09/03/19)
Released

Author: Kerael aka MadSkills
Discord Community

Enjoy.
Previews
Contents

The Horrid Commune 0.96a (Map)

Reviews
eubz
I played the game and all I could say is GREAT. The game lagged at start but that is not too much and that would not affect your gameplay. Choosing waves at the beginning is also a good style as players can choose how much time would he like to play...
  1. gaurdian of the flame

gaurdian of the flame

Resources:
    Resources:
    this map looks good and i will play it now

2. gaurdian of the flame

gaurdian of the flame

Resources:
    Resources:
    the map dosen,t work with my version i have 1.27 version

3. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, it is only compatible with 1.31.1 version, I will update the description.
    Also, combine the replies into one please.

4. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is this a protected map?

5. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is, slightly. I can send you a deprotected version in discord, if you'd like.

6. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is simply an amazing map. You can truly see how much work has been put into it, simply by reading all the detailed and neatly done text. The gameplay is quite enjoyable, if confusing at first due to its fast paced nature, but once you get the hang of it, it's truly enjoyable.
    I've had the chance to play it twice now online, and it's one of those maps that has the potential to become a niche to some players, if not loved by all.

As I'm aware there's a little more optimization to be done to reduce late game lag, and a little more balancing, but the creator is very open to constructive criticism!
    As much as it's worth, I vote for approval and a 6/5, Director's Cut.

7. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @knight26 Much appreciated! Indeed, more optimization is required. I have some improvements in mind, which will be implemented in the next version.

And yeah, balance is always a work-in-progress. :]

Big thanks for the rating!

8. Slein

Slein

Resources:
    Resources:
    Only got to play the undead side so far, but the map is a welcome breath of fresh air and I enjoy it quite a bit.
    Looking forward to the upcoming updates and such.

9. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Slein Thanks for the rating <3

Undead side will be largely updated within a following week, along with other changes and quality-of-life improvements.

10. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'll play latter after some work here.
    Nice description.

11. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello everyone! Updates have arrived!
    As a note, some inaccuracies and inconsistencies may still remain and further optimization is still required. However I didn't want to delay some of the bigger changes much longer.

Enjoy.

@eubz Thanks! My first assumption was that either the colors were an overkill, or the description critically lacked Comic Sans. :D By the way, do you know any means of containing the text between vertical boundaries? Something like a right-side indent. The tables didn't help much.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  12. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And a small patch, attempting to address a common sentiment about the game difficulty from the Town's perspective.

Fixed some AI and visual quirks as well.

13. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I played the game and all I could say is GREAT.
    The game lagged at start but that is not too much and that would not affect your gameplay.
    Choosing waves at the beginning is also a good style as players can choose how much time would he like to play the game and how manu waves will he play until he is bored.
    Difficulty choice, this is cool. As I am new, I chose not the most difficult one.

I like the style of this game. Most of what to do are well explained. The terrain tells the story of the game and it is horrid.

APPROVED

14. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for reviewing!

The shorter game modes are also meant for introductory purposes as they limit the wave list to just the first segments.
    As for the lag, does it happen at the mode selection? It might be the systems initializing, I think I could spread them out over the first few seconds of the start.
    Actually, you are one of the few people who see the map as well explained. :) Most people find it confusing, probably due to its fast pace, so I'm still working on the readability.

15. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The colour coding for the map description of this map is 10/10. More people should learn from how you use colours to convey the different teams / mechanics. It is very pleasing visually.

As for the map itself, I tried it out in a 2v1 setting in the short version (15 waves). It is very well made. I am guessing more quests are unlocked on longer game modes? We only had the lumber mill quest on the 15 wave mode.

16. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The quests are discovered on the map itself without wave-limits. For example, you break a cage near marauder camp to discover Rescue Mission quest or mount a horse at the south-east to discover another quest.
    I plan to introduce more quests later on, but for now there are just 4 functioning quests.

Big thanks for the kind words and rating! <3