• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hobbit BotFA (V4.5)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This was my first map ever posted to HIVE. For a long time it was abandoned, but I finally got the inspiration and motivation to remake it.

The map page (and indeed the map itself) were essentially de-aged back to their infancy. As such, they will update over time to become better.

This map can be played multiplayer or singleplayer.

In the Beggining of the game you will be given 5 minutes to prepare your forces. After the time has passed, the attack will begin. There are no waves - the enemy will come in an almost constant rush.

They will attack from three areas: the bottom of the map, in front of the city of Dale, and to the right of the Gates of Erebor. The goal is to survive 15 minutes against the enemy hordes until the Eagles arrive, afterwards you must defeat Bolg at Ravenhill to win.

- (Iron Hills Dwarves)
Led by Dain II Ironfoot, the Dwarves of the Iron Hills were a strong and stubborn force who marched for many days to answer the call of Dain's cousin, Thorin. The full force is positioned to the right of the Gates of Erebor and is made up of Axemen, Phalanx and Crossbowmen. In battle, they can raise their steel-forged shields against enemy arrows.
- (Men of Laketown) The Survivors of the rampage of Smaug the Terrible, lead by the Dragon-Slayer Bard the Bowman. They are neither as strong as the Dwarves nor as skilled as the Elves, but they are versatile and numerous enough to stand on somewhat equal footing. The full force is positioned within the ruined city of Dale, and is made up of Axemen, Spearmen and Bowmen. In battle their Archers set their arrows alight against the enemy.
- (Elves of the Woodland Realm) Led by the Elven King Thranduil, they are positioned in front of the river that lies before the Gates of Erebor. The force is made up of Swordsmen Spearmen and Bowmen. In battle they use their superior speed to their advantage.
- (The Company) The Company, lead by and formed by Thorin II Oakenshield and Gandalf the Grey. Made up of its leaders, twelve Dwarves and one Hobbit. Gandalf and Bilbo have positioned themselves in Dale, but Thorin, driven by Dragon-Sickness, has holed himself up in the mountain. However, as the battle rages, he will arrive to fight alongside his kin.

- Improved Terrain.
- More units for each force.
- More Hero abilities.
- More abilities for "Demi-Hero" Company members.
- Possible addition of "Demi-Heroes" for the other forces.
- An Attack and Armour system. Probably something like "Dwarf", "Man", "Elf", "Orc", "Hero" etc.
- Some sort of difficulty system.
- More abilities for Elite Units.
- More uses for the Command Tents.
- Possibly more Events. One such Event could be of the Elves army reaches a certain threshold they'll retreat from the battle.

Note that there is no Credits list in the map itself. I've found it to be too complicated to keep both Credits updated. All Credits for the map can be found here.

- Matt Stewart is the creator of the page image. Of course the map is based off of the famed battle from Tolkien's "The Hobbit" book and by the same battle in Peter Jackson's adaption of the book.

Users who's resources were used in this map are as follows:

- NFWar (PowerShotBTN) - L_Lawliet (WindLanceBTN) - pick-a-chew (AntlersBTN) - morbent (LightBTN) - -Berz- (SlamBTN) - Darkfang (CriticalArrowBTN, Bronze/Silver/Gold Attack Upgrade BTN's) - Vinz (Alacrity, Battle Standard, Flaming Bolt) - BLazeKraze (SpiritHawkBTN) - Infrisios (Battle Cry) - Vitchie08 (Nature Blessing) - Yours Truly (Forest Blessing) - 67chrome (BootsBTN) - RefraX (Spear) - Shadow-Hunted (Weaponless Militia) - Kitabatake (Stone Walls, Encampment) - Bakr (Dwarf Statue) - Wandering Soul (Crossbow Footman, Spearman) - takakenji (Stromgarde Footman) - Norinrad (Dwarven Thane, Dwarf Mountaineer) - Fingolfin (Sindar Elves) - HerrDave (Thingol, Gandalf, Faramir, Bilbo, Goblins, Orcs, Uruk-Hai, Trolls, Good Tent, Overhead Buffs) - Em! (Giant Bat, Arrow Rain) - Direfury (Dwarf Thane, Dwarf Footman, Dwarf Bandit, Iron Aura) - Marsal (Battle Focus Aura Ability) - Radagast (Dwarf Hunter) - General Frank (Dwarf Warrior) - GhostThruster (EliteFootmanBTN) - Eagle XI (DwarfBearKnightBTN, BallistaBTN) - Sin'dorei300 (DwarfMonkPilgrimBTN) - Prince Yaser (SwordBTN, NorthSwordBTN) - BloodRaven (ChainmailBTN) - Rhapsodie (Steampunk Paladin) - supertoinkz (Elven Ranger) - Stefan.K (Guardsman) - Static (SpearAttackBTN) - Rubellu Sidus (Sword Militia) - Mike (Arcaballista) - eubz (Villager Archer) - reason 3 (Elunes Arrow Spell)

Hope everyone enjoys the new and improved map. You're welcome to give suggestions, feedback, criticism or even just a comment. Anything helps.

This map, as all my maps, is Open Source, and you are free to learn from it. Just please don't post it to other sites without my permission. If you want to post it to another site, tell me first and please credit me as the author of the map. I'll add your link to the map here on HIVE as well.

- Completely remade the map, leaving only the core gameplay.

- Updated some text.
- Added Laketown Civilians in Dale. If these Civilians are killed, the Lake Men (Player Blue) will be defeated.
- Rearranged the Dwarven and Elven armies. Removed Elves from Dale and added more Men.
- Decreased starting level of heroes.
- Heroes now start with restoring potions.
- Added Command Tents. These will see purpose in future updates.
- Added Elite Units for every army. Dwarves gained the Shieldbreakers, which specialize in holding enemies back. The Lakemen gain Guardsmen, which specialize in supporting nearby Lakemen. Finally, Wood Elves gained Woodland Rangers, which specialize in stealth attacks.
- Gave Bilbo more abilities.

- Added Lake Swordsmen (these will see more use in future updates).
- Enemies spawn more slowly, decreasing difficulty.
- Added a message indicating the Victory Condition (defeat of Bolg).

- Added and changed abilities for all Heroes (excepting Thorin).

- Lakemen units can now use the "Marching Stance" to move faster at the cost of attack speed. This will allow them to move where they're needed quickly, putting a bit of emphasis on their role of versatility and line-fillers.
- Reduced the health all all standard Dwarf, Elf and Man units by 100.
- Reduced Dwarven unit speed.
- Divided the Orcs into different Players.
- Added commands that order all units to form into or out of formation (currently only for Player Red and Player Blue).
- Added more information under "Quests" and fixed a few ability button positions.

Tags: Lord of the Rings, LOTR, The Hobbit, Battle of the Five Armies, BotFA, PleaseDon'tSueMeBlizzard, PleaseDon'tSueMeMicrosoft, PleaseDon'tSueMeTolkienEstate.
Previews
Contents

Battle of the Five Armies V4.5 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The map has had some thinking put into it but overall it's very simple extensively using Warcraft III material (gameplay mechanics), scripted events being time based. There are far better maps of this type out there that overshadow this one, sadly...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Players should start with the camera over their start location or playing area rather than on another place on the map.
  2. The terrain is flat, mostly one tile, having little doodad variation. Pretty sure you can find better wall models than the current edited ones.
  3. Abilities like Splintering Axes should have passive looking icons. The current icon can be changed to look so with: Button Manager v1.8.2 Repair on Dale should not have those borders as it gives the impression it can be autocast.
  4. It's confusing to use hero models on non-hero units as they have glow and heroes get visually lost amongst them and usually the models don't have a death animations, the bodies remaining on the terrain for long periods of time.
  5. Repair says spell not ready yet when casting on it but there is no cooldown effect on it. The ability should just disappear after use if it's intended to be used once.
  6. The Dwarven Worker has the same icon as Thorin II. Dwarven Warrior ability's icon=Thorin III's. Elite Dwarven Warrior's=Ironbreaker's=Dain's Fury. Ironwall's=Defend.
  7. Thorin II's ability positions are wrong in the learn ability menu.
  8. It's annoying that you don't really know when you can choose a spell after you level up since not all heroes follow the same ability level up trend, the hero icons showing available spell points confusing the player.
  9. Enemy units spawn out of nowhere. Could be visually pleasing and logical instead.
  10. Abilities don't really have hotkeys (at least visible in the ability text name) for example Dwarven Medicine. Better use QWERT.
  11. Enemies are pretty much scaled up versions of each other. Not much variety in what they do.
Generally, 100% reliant on Warcraft III material, just renamed abilities. Content is pretty much lacking and not that varied.
Some suggestions would be: items for the heroes (either gradually unlocked or found in places etc.), upgrades for the towers and units etc.

The map could use much more things going on. Take a look at similar maps of the genre for inspiration. Right now, it's very old-school and doesn't stand out.

Awaiting Update

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 11
  1. Players should start with the camera over their start location or playing area rather than on another place on the map.
  2. The terrain is flat, mostly one tile, having little doodad variation. Pretty sure you can find better wall models than the current edited ones.
  3. Abilities like Splintering Axes should have passive looking icons. The current icon can be changed to look so with: Button Manager v1.8.2 Repair on Dale should not have those borders as it gives the impression it can be autocast.
  4. It's confusing to use hero models on non-hero units as they have glow and heroes get visually lost amongst them and usually the models don't have a death animations, the bodies remaining on the terrain for long periods of time.
  5. Repair says spell not ready yet when casting on it but there is no cooldown effect on it. The ability should just disappear after use if it's intended to be used once.
  6. The Dwarven Worker has the same icon as Thorin II. Dwarven Warrior ability's icon=Thorin III's. Elite Dwarven Warrior's=Ironbreaker's=Dain's Fury. Ironwall's=Defend.
  7. Thorin II's ability positions are wrong in the learn ability menu.
  8. It's annoying that you don't really know when you can choose a spell after you level up since not all heroes follow the same ability level up trend, the hero icons showing available spell points confusing the player.
  9. Enemy units spawn out of nowhere. Could be visually pleasing and logical instead.
  10. Abilities don't really have hotkeys (at least visible in the ability text name) for example Dwarven Medicine. Better use QWERT.
  11. Enemies are pretty much scaled up versions of each other. Not much variety in what they do.
Generally, 100% reliant on Warcraft III material, just renamed abilities. Content is pretty much lacking and not that varied.
Some suggestions would be: items for the heroes (either gradually unlocked or found in places etc.), upgrades for the towers and units etc.

The map could use much more things going on. Take a look at similar maps of the genre for inspiration. Right now, it's very old-school and doesn't stand out.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/
I've updated the map as requested, and have made most of the requested changes and fixes. I did not do 4 or 11, and only somewhat fixed 9 for reasons I will list below:

4: Units with Hero Models: There are only 2 of these (the Ram Rider and Border Guard), and they are hardly units you will see a lot in the map (plus there are no alternate models for them). I saw little reason to change their models. I did, however, add Hero glows to those heroes who did not have them.

11: What variation can really be added? Moria units have Evasion, Dol Guldur units now have Poison, and Gundabad has Bash and Critical Strike... not to mention the Trolls have Resistant and Hardened Skin, as well as Cleaving Attack. I see a lot of variation.

9: Units appearing from thin air. I moved the Spawn regions back slightly and made gate-like structures with the walls.

Otherwise, I have more or less made the map better, as instructed hopefully.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The map has had some thinking put into it but overall it's very simple extensively using Warcraft III material (gameplay mechanics), scripted events being time based. There are far better maps of this type out there that overshadow this one, sadly.

Substandard.

Level 13
Hey, just played this. The map is missing map description.

May I suggest these models to replace the current Dwarven Plalanx and Crossbowman model since its doesn't look dwarvish.

Since you intend to add more units for each force, I suggest adding the Ram Riders for the Dwarves like in the movie to the map. Though these unit models have heroglow but I'm sure I can esaily remove it if you need it.

The terrain is pretty basic. I'm sure there are improvements but I don't have anything concrete to say. My terraining skills is pretty poor.

Maybe limit the number of units spawned for the northern orcs or add a second ai orc player since the orc army is pretty much paralyzed when they control too many units.

Maybe add quests in the questlog and a 10 seconds ping for where Bolg, I didn't know I was supposed to kill Bolg in the upper west corner. I should have read the gameplay spoiler :xxd:

Update the units tooltips. For example, the Lake Spearman tooltip that can says he can learn Defend ability.

I enjoyed playing it and I'm looking to future updates :grin:

Level 11
Hey, just played this. The map is missing map description.

May I suggest these models to replace the current Dwarven Plalanx and Crossbowman model since its doesn't look dwarvish.

Since you intend to add more units for each force, I suggest adding the Ram Riders for the Dwarves like in the movie to the map. Though these unit models have heroglow but I'm sure I can esaily remove it if you need it.

The terrain is pretty basic. I'm sure there are improvements but I don't have anything concrete to say. My terraining skills is pretty poor.

Maybe limit the number of units spawned for the northern orcs or add a second ai orc player since the orc army is pretty much paralyzed when they control too many units.

Maybe add quests in the questlog and a 10 seconds ping for where Bolg, I didn't know I was supposed to kill Bolg in the upper west corner. I should have read the gameplay spoiler :xxd:

Update the units tooltips. For example, the Lake Spearman tooltip that can says he can learn Defend ability.

I enjoyed playing it and I'm looking to future updates :grin:
I appreciate the feedback!

An update is on the way in the near future. I'll probably be coming back to Warcraft soon.

Regarding the Dwarf models - I'm aware they don't look Dwavish. In previous versions they used appropriate models (namely those made by General Frank) but I felt those models never "fit" together. The main reason I'm using "Footish" models is because they look more apart of the same army.

I agree that the Waves need work. I'll look into them when I'm back - maybe add more variety with less units on the other sides.

I'll update the tooltips as well.

I thought for sure there was a message that informs you of Bolg ingame... Guess I forgot to add one. I'll fix that as well.

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the map. I hope the next update (possibly coming in mid-December) will be just as good :)

Level 3
The map is fine. The terrain is very poor and bad like there was almost no effort put into it.
At the start i was confused bc nothing was spawning, and from where i could explore with my units, there was no enemies and no details. Most of the units dont even have a voice track.

I GIVE IT A 1.2/5

Level 11
The map is fine. The terrain is very poor and bad like there was almost no effort put into it.
At the start i was confused bc nothing was spawning, and from where i could explore with my units, there was no enemies and no details. Most of the units dont even have a voice track.

I GIVE IT A 1.2/5
I'm aware the terrain is poor (though saying no effort was put into it would be false). I am not good at terraining and I'm not sure what to fill the empty spots with.

The messages in the beginning explain that the enemies are coming. I feel like it'll ruin immersion to say "they are coming in five minutes", but if it really is a problem then I will do it.

There are not supposed to be enemies across the map, at least not at the moment. The map is supposed to feel like a desperate battle and exploration was not something I thought would be necessary.

Units don't have voice tracks because many are not suitable. If this is a big problem then I will add them.

Thank you for the review, but please try to give some suggestions for improvement if you have them. I am only a humble map maker and I cannot think of every way to improve the map or fix problems. Suggestions will help this map improve.