• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Great Race v1.5

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
The Great Race
--------------------

Game Demo
[YOUTUBE]
watch?v=iD77rhgNZEg[/YOUTUBE]
The Game Demo is Done by my friend Dewawer and not me,play the game itself to make it more interesting!Idk why he took out the music/etc.
--------------------
Description
--------------------
The Great Race is a hero-racing map where heroes race against each other using spells to try and stop each other.
The Great Race includes of different racers,different modes,different spells.
--------------------
Modes
Normal Mode:
Normal mode consists of normal features&normal gameplay which is the most basic mode.

Alliance Mode:
Player 1-5 vs Player 6-10,Intense battle between colors!

Critters Mode:
Critters will spawn in random locations,they might also block your way!

Hostile Mode:
Creeps will spawn in random locations and they might fight you!

Invisible Mode:
Invisible stuffs might block you anytime!

Camera Mode:
A smart camera system that locks on where you are looking at.(For experts)
--------------------
Idea
The idea was originated from LieroBoy.
I've pm-ed him and asked for permission to use his idea.
At first i planned to use his map and remade the game.
But on a second thought i did the map from scratch and only used his idea.
--------------------
Features
18 Racers.
Custom Spells.
Different Modes.
QWER Hotkeys(All Working)
--------------------

Version 1.5
Enhanced Remake.(Fixing a bug and making it able to repick a new hero)
Changed bomb mode to invisible mode.
Fixed some exploits.
-------------
Version 1.4b
Fixed bomb mode.
Fixed Respawn bug.
-------------
Version 1.4
Added Camera mode.
Added 1 new hero.
Added choice of remake.
Changed some spells.
Improved Terrain.
Increased movement speed of all heroes.
Fixed hostile mode.
Fixed hostiles and items spawning randomly outside of the race.
Nerfed hostile mode.
Made bomb mode easier to be hitten.
Version 1.3c
Fixed a winning bug
-------------
Version 1.3
Added bomb mode.
Added 3 new heroes.
Fixed hostile mode creep icon.
-------------
Version 1.2
Added hostile mode.
Fixed a fatal error regarding Fire Trap
-------------
Version 1.1b
Fixed a winning exploit.
-------------
Version 1.1
Fixed furion spells.
Added critters mode.
Balanced some heroes
-------------
Version 1.0
First Release

Have a suggestion or forget to name you in credits?Send me a private msg or write it here.

Spells&Models makers are in credits.

Map Is Protected.

PS:Dont judge the terrain by the map preview.

Keywords:
the great race of lulz orly owl haha epic racers racing against each other special custom skills heroes hero war many own fun intense fight
Contents

The Great Race v1.5 (Map)

Reviews
21:54, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 9
NOTE TO ALL

I have no idea why the terrain looks like this in the display picture.

It is not like this in the game.

So don't judge the terrain by the display picture

Even though the terrain is not very good because i suck at doing terrains.

I'm still finding a terrainer :grin:

Last edited:
Level 14
Sounds awesome, i'll try it!

EDIT: That was pretty fun. The terrain could have been a lot better, though. The music fitted the map and abilities were balanced, i think.
Hm.. Maybe add a remake option? It was kinda short, :/. Or more rounds-option.

Level 9
Yes,i've been finding a terrainer,so far i'ved asked The World Is Flat and another guy,i forgot his name.They are currently busy and i will get the terrain to be better in later versions.Choices of lap will be out soon too.

@LieroBoy hey tthere :D

Last edited:
Level 22
Barathrum's Review (Mini Moderator)

Description (Includes THW description, map description and Loading Screen):"

THW Description: Long and well colored (+4)
Map Description: Could be better (+1.5)
Loading Screen: Is colored, and provides some information, but i'd say you could include more information. (+1.5)

Terrain:

The terrian seems ok for a minigame map type and the fact it beeing a race (+9)
Gameplay:

Gameplay offers 3 modes, each one seems to get its own small extra description if choosed. Further more, maybe , but i think some heroes are a little to overpowered, but that's my thought. in complete i'd say the gameplay is good. (+10)

Quest menu, Hints:

Quest menu: Contains all neccesary information (+5)
Hints: A lot hints, colored hints (+5)

Aditional Information:

+ Your map has a multiboard.
+ Your map has many heroes to choose for a minigame.
(+10)
Score Board:

0%-49% = 1/5 vote for rejection
50%-60% = 2/5 but i vote for reviewed
61%-70% = 2/5 but i vote for Aproval
71%-80% = 3/5 vote for aproval
81%-92% = 4/5 vote for aproval
93%-100% = 5/5 vote for aproval
Results:

Total: 46/50
= 92%

Vote for Aproval?= Yes
Vote for Rejection?= No
Vote for Reviewed?= No

Level 13
Hmm. Well first off, this was not what i expected. I wont say this is a crappy map. But it could really be improved. The terrain in the first place looks really ugly. The gameplay is somewhat ok. But you usually just find yourself walking to try to stop the first place. But you never catch up on him. The idea is great, but as i say. It gets boring because u dont really get to use your abbilities when someone got in front. If he gets out of range he almost certainly win, and thats kinda boring. So improve it somehow.
I do not have any suggestions on how to make the race more intresting. But it really has to be improved.

Level 9
I've already mentioned that my terrainer is currently busy and will be terraining for me some other day so the terrain was did by myself which i really sucked at that part :p.

Secondly,you can cast spells through fences to stop them,i've seen people doing that and caught up.

Level 13
Yeah. But not if they get too much in front. I was in front 1/4 of the game. But then i got stopped by the second place. He kept stunning me. Then when i was finally about to go and stun him. I was stunned by the third place, then i stunned him to get in front. And after that, the "new" first place, couldnt get caught. So it got kinda boring. And no. After that, me and the other dude dint attack each other, we just wanted to get rid of first palce.

Level 19
This is a well made map, the abilities are more or less original, however there were a couple of bugs, and the concept really needs some work.

Minor Issues
It is hard to read the loading screen text, change the text colours.
You should lock the players cameras on their units, otherwise it is extremely hard to use hotkeys effectively.
When I played Hostile Mode, I was attacked by Trolls at the very beginning, while I was paused...
You should make the Fire Wall more flashy, it looks boring...
You should turn up movement speeds, it would make gameplay a lot more exciting.
The [Player] is leading message should have a space in it.
Put some more shops around the map.
Why did so many trolls spawn outside of the actual track?

Major Issues
The terrain is very boring, you really need to put in some texture variation and doodads, as well as obstacles. Without these, gameplay would be rather dull (I tested this in single player, so I may be wrong), which leads onto my second point.
I imagine that gameplay would be very dull and somewhat imbalanced. If one person gains a lead, he has pretty much won. You should implement some sort of sliding system, make movement coordination just as important as using spells.

Other Suggestions
This could prove to be pretty hard, but if you pull it off it would make gameplay very cinematic; how about a dynamic camera system that locks onto the direction of the part of the track the hero is going along (though not the hero's actual facing direction), follows the hero, and changes angle when you turn a corner. I assume this could be possible with some effort, and a lot of Regions. I will send you a gif of approximately what I mean.

Despite that last point, this is still a very good map. As I have already stated, adding a slide system in conjunction with obstacles to slow players down would be a very good idea.
3.5/5 Voted for Approval

Level 9
I'd try,btw as you said about the camera thingy.
I'm trying to add in the mode called Camera mode and it will do as what you said.(Most likely)
Fixed the trolls too,

Wait for version 1.4 ^_^ should be released later on today.

Level 2
elloh owl,i just plyed agn n thot it was good,when ist the next version????

Level 3
I found a bug, you know an enemy with racer like Doom have a skill which drain my HP?When I'm in that skill's affect ,the race have a winner, then the host remake, I die when everybody at the start line, then I am revived,and I'm now able to use skill and run before the race start.
And one more, Bomb Mode with no bomb?

Level 19
The loading screen is still hard to read.
The terrain is better, but obstacles still dont make much of an impact on the gameplay.
The camera mode is not what I meant, the camera shouldnt turn with the hero, but stay along the path, going forward and turning only when the path turns. Otherwise it is very disorienting.

Level 5
Hi guy. I really like your map, it's really great.

But these are things i notice which could improve it a lot :
-The player who is first cannot be reached most time. I think that player in late position should have passive speed bonus (+100 for the 10th, +90 the 9th, +80 the 8th etc...) so everybody will still have a chance to win. I think this point is important. (of course, if you change position you change of bonus speed everytime).
-Most spells are interesting and balanced. But one spell in all the game totally fuck up it : One spell from the "witch" exchange position with the target. As you can do it through wall, you can be last and become first, so it's totally unbalanced, and it's frustratring for the first player who will become last... Just remove it, or change it so you cannot cast it through walls. By the way, the animation of this spell doesn't disapear once it's over (animation leak).
-Stomp might sometime be casted without activating the cooldown.
-It could be a good thing to be able to read spell description of your hero during 60 first second of the race, so you don't begin the race using your spells randomly :p.
-Maybe add runes of speed on the way ?
-Be able to change the game mode between "-remake"
-The camera isn't moved at the good location when you tape "-remake"
-Start as first in initial position is a huge advantage because of instant stomp at begining. No idea how to correct it.

Good job for your map, i hope you will change this ^^