1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] The Fountain of Youth (WIP)

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by FeelsGoodMan, Jul 23, 2019.

1. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Production is really slow due to high season at work, but I am able to get in at least 1-2 hours per day.

Testing some spells for a boss:

2. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Might want to preload the model for #2 sfx as it caused a lot of initial lag. Looks pretty sick in general

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will. This is only a test map though, so I will do it when I import everything into the actual map.

4. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Development is put on hold due to travels.

See you in 2 weeks :p

5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Development has resumed! :D

6. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Sorry for such a long time without any updates. Development has been a bit slow due to extended holidays and taking on two other projects simultaneously. One of the projects is finished and the other doesn't need any immediate attention.

This means I can focus my time on this map again. When working on such big maps I need some time off sometimes to just do other things too.

I am slowly implementing more and more high quality doodads and models to make transitioning into Reforged easier. Reforged transition will still be far after initial release though.

Here's the Cave of the Ancients reworked;

[​IMG]

7. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Update;

It is now possible to play through the whole good main quest line.

What remains to do before the good quest line is 100% done and ready for testing:

Better AI for normal creeps.
    Make more creep spells (I have them all outlined, they just need to be made).
    Develop some creep strategies/tactics.
    Some camera work in different cinematics.
    Finish developing 6 boss fights (2 of them are almost done).
    Rewrite some dialogues.
    Add side quests.

8. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    This number is actually 9 boss fights, not 6. Now it's 8 as one of them is done. Take a look;

If I hadn't sucked at actually playing the game I wouldn't have died :p

It lags sometimes as the recording software is a bit resource intensive, and the world editor is open with several map windows while also saving this map in the background. Without anything open in the background there is no lag.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    The city is getting a much needed visual upgrade with a lot of HQ doodads, new houses and custom tiles.
    [​IMG]

10. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You're definitely going strong here. Do continue and surprise us :]

11. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks!

I didn't feel like the previous one was *that* good, so I improved it even further. Starting to look quite alright now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  12. ElectricSaiyan

ElectricSaiyan

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Any update on your map sir?

13. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Not as of right now, I'm currently re-terraining a lot of areas but I will definitely post some screenies when I'm done.

14. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    After a long time of no updates I am sad to officially announce that I will call off this project.

First and foremost I apologize to @HerrDave and @PROXY who provided two 100% custom made resources for this map. Unfortunately the maps sheer size makes it a tremendous mess to work with in the editor to the point where simple tasks are just unbearable. I guess the world editor has its limits when it comes to size. The map lags massively when in the editor, it takes around 5-7 minutes to just load into the editor when I open it, saving the map takes even longer, selecting destructables and units in the trigger editor takes 15-20 seconds, and after having loaded the map in the editor it starts to lag while just looking around. Had it not been for these excruciating performance issues I would have loved to complete this map, but in its current state it is near impossible.

1 and a half year of development, 60k destructables and doodads, heaps of boss fights, custom spells, systems, a whopping 1500 triggers, and nearly as many variables, almost finished one of two main quest lines, lots of side quests and so on, but now it comes to an end unless a miracle happens and my map becomes a bit easier to work with. I don't consider the progress as wasted though, as I have learned a lot from the process, and will pave the way for greater things to come in the future.

I am uploading the map here in case anyone wants to take a look, or wants to play through it. I have tried removing all the severe leaks and so on. If you want cheat codes they can be found in the triggers, but the most important ones are "good" and "evil". Just type them into chat without the "" brackets. Only the good side quest line is playable from start to finish, and the end is severely lacking. Not all boss fights have been thought out, and some of them are way, way too hard and not optimized at all.

Thanks for everyone who followed the development thus far, and to those who helped in its making. A special mention should also go to @xYours Trulyx for editing a lot of models in there.

Attached Files:

15. praudmur

praudmur

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well damn. Sorry to see the project go because of World Editor limitations... I've just taken look at the city and it's extremely beautiful.
    What I can say is that it's not lagging much on my PC. I mean I can explore the map in editor and unit placing took one second(in Reforged mode so I assume it'll work better in SD mode). Maybe you'll just need to get a better PC..
    Good luck with your projects.

16. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    The problem isn't unit placement, try for example to make a new trigger then you do "kill destructible" or something like that and you will see. Try to work with the map for a bit and it will become extremely laggy very fast.

I have a top notch computer so that's not the issue I am afraid.

17. praudmur

praudmur

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I see what you mean. That sucks.

18. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    The same thing happens with my maps in my campaign, but I’ve just learned to live with it. I use a map with no doodads and very few triggers to work on things like abilities so I can just copy the triggers into the other maps in the campaign. During long delays I usually just browse Hive on my other monitor. It’s annoying, but I can’t walk away from nearly 10 years of work lol.

19. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    I did that too, made all the systems in a test map and transferred them over, but for me the lag is unbearable. I would love to find out what part of my computer is under so much strain, then I would just buy a component that's good enough to handle it, but at the moment nothing in the resource monitor really stands out....

20. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ya. If someone ever figured it out they would make a lot of people happy. But more than 1000 triggers, tons of imports, variables, and doodads just bogs it down I’m afraid