• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The EU is banning memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Article 13 of the EU copyright law has passed yesterday. It means that soon, social media outlets will have to pre-approve EVERY SINGLE post you make on their sites and if they see that it infringes some copyright, it will have to be deleted before even being published. Read: EU votes to effectively ban memes electronically as Article 13 'copyright filter' passes | TheINQUIRER

What I'm concerned about in the short term is that this regulation will effectively kill memes.

On the long term, I think there's no way that the EU won't use this resolution for political censorship.

Is there any way to stop this now or we'll have to pass around printed out memes during secret gatherings organized in dark cellars near candlelight?

San

San

Level 32
upload_2018-6-22_4-56-8.png

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Probably not as bad as that site made it sound...

Content only would get pulled down if there is a copyright infringement. In the example given it is unlikely that one news site would have to pay another for quoting them unless that news site explicitly demands payment.

Most mems would likely not be effect either, since they use still shots of movies and such. Copyright violations usually do not apply to still shots as it falls under fair usage. Some GIFs on the other hand might be subject to removal, but again that would depend on content and length.

My biggest question is how on earth do they plan to enforce this? Sure Facebook and Google can spend multiple million dollars on filters (which they already have) that do this. However as a small company how can they possibly expect one to enforce it? I hope they provide free software packages to do the policing, otherwise this is just another tax to hurt small business.

Level 29
Article 13 is only a part of a bigger picture, check the other articles. Just a death cry from the EU's drying corpse, as it tries once more to take control of the world wide web, right before it goes away forever in the pages of history as one of the worst social experiments in the making of THE EMPIRE.
The irony is that this will destroy the EU ever faster if it actually passes the parliament.
Everything they are doing in recent years only hastens their ruin, almost as if the EU is filled with ideologues that don't actually care about europe or its people :thinking:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Pretty sure @San doesn't listen to the EU.

Article 13 is only a part of a bigger picture, check the other articles. Just a death cry from the EU's drying corpse, as it tries once more to take control of the world wide web, right before it goes away forever in the pages of history as one of the worst social experiments in the making of THE EMPIRE.
The irony is that this will destroy the EU ever faster if it actually passes the parliament.
Everything they are doing in recent years only hastens their ruin, almost as if the EU is filled with ideologues that don't actually care about europe or its people :thinking:
I agree.

Level 22
Encrypt your meme pix, store it in a zip with a password (md5 checksum?) and then append it to another image file that isn't copyrighted. Post it then, let the good times roll.

Level 35
Czarism for the win, right?
Certainly a better alternative than the Bolshevism that's being forced on us atm.

Edit: You know it's just fucking sad how in less than 20 years, the promise of free trade and less taxation turned into a non-elected, non-democratic elite of a dozen people forcing their retarded do-gooder ideology on literally hundreds of millions of people who never fucking asked for it. And there's literally no getting away from it because not only is surveillance and the subvertive pressure constantly increasing, but Brexit totally proves that subservient politicians of individual nations will shit into the will of the people who elected them as long as Bruxelles keeps sending them "EU funds."

We were promised free trade. What we got instead was an Orwellian superstate shitting into our mouth.

Thanks, EU.

Last edited:
Level 35
I'm not sure what to choose from: Ivan the Terrible & the KGB or Lenin and the NKVD.
Wait, will I even be allowed to opt?

To be totally frank, the EU is better than either of those. Then again, humanity (or at least the West) has advanced well beyond the need for aggressive totalitarianism. I simply can't fathom why we're turning back the wheel regardless towards more surveillance, more control, less freedom of choice, less freedom of expression. Or well... I actually can, I'm just not too happy about it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm just not too happy about it.
Who in their rightful mind are? Problem is, it's a gamble we're playing. We best make our own countries strong. That however could lead to issue as no country can live properly without trading with another. There are not enough resources for everything you need in this century unless you want to get back to tribes and agriculture and even then you might get droughts and such. Even if you succeed living like that, you will probably be occupied by a country more advanced than you during wartime. As you can realize, there can be no utopia on Earth, unless you consider total (real) communism a thing which can only be possible if everyone would agree (have the same mindset if not mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.