• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Darkening Wars 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
The initial idea's not bad at all. The naming scheme does need help (it gets tired after reading "Lark" twenty times). The real main problem I see is the number of units in each tier. I think it's too bloated on the bottom tier, while too light on the upper tier. Most of the time, it should be curved out for midgame rather than endgame.

The other main thing I can see is their resource system; is there a unique thing about the way they build their economy and/or infrastructure? If so, what is it?

Level 5
Instead of being near resources, they get iron from killing other units, and 1 oil for every minute they have a Nether Palace. The unts are supposed to work that way.

Level 10
Sorry, but I've been AFC for who knows how long (maybe it has to do with Bungie's idea of having the Living Dead playlist). Anyways, before I get back to my TD, i got some more ideas for my fraction.
1: They are used to cold temperatures and snowy weather. They are not affected by wind or snow.
2: Each infantry unit is armed with a tracking becon that pings only once after he dies (mini-map pings at location of dead infantry unit (some anti-lag thing is suggested)). Vehicles are not equipped.
3: The Exploration Squad are better equiped for night. Vision does not decrease as much as other races at night.
Let me know of these and what I should change/tweak.

Level 9
Version 1.20 may be out as soon as Sunday. I'm busting my ass over it. The power system if finally flawless.

Instead of being near resources, they get iron from killing other units, and 1 oil for every minute they have a Nether Palace. The unts are supposed to work that way.

The main problem with having a race dependently entirely on killing to gain resources (for the most part) is that the scaling works way differently than a regular harvest-style resource system when playing an 8 player game versus a 2 player "duel" game.

Sorry, but I've been AFC for who knows how long (maybe it has to do with Bungie's idea of having the Living Dead playlist). Anyways, before I get back to my TD, i got some more ideas for my fraction.
1: They are used to cold temperatures and snowy weather. They are not affected by wind or snow.
2: Each infantry unit is armed with a tracking becon that pings only once after he dies (mini-map pings at location of dead infantry unit (some anti-lag thing is suggested)). Vehicles are not equipped.
3: The Exploration Squad are better equiped for night. Vision does not decrease as much as other races at night.
Let me know of these and what I should change/tweak.

Immunity to cold weather is pretty hard to imagine. I mean, no matter how much training you received, you're bound to get stuck in snow. Adaptation can't help you with that. I figure it'd give you an edge if you were adapted to it, but it wouldn't make you immune.

The tracking system is odd that it's on infantry but not vehicles. Logically, I'd put it on all my vehicles too for safe measure. But really, the tracking beacon doesn't help too much. I mean, you should know where your units are dying.

Night vision technology could work.

Level 5
Hmm, what should I have making iron then?
(keep in mind i'm making an expansion-type race that is good at colonizing the map.)

Level 10
About the tracking beacon for infantry, you can always say that the entire force cannot afford to place tracking beacons on vehicles. Also, I've seen that many people send random recon squads to go scout the map, but then they die unnoticed.
Other then that, I'm ok with everything else.

Level 9
I'm still working on the next patch for the map. This one has been procrastinated extra long only because of WoW expac. But now, I've hit 80, so it's back to map making. I've finally implemented the allying system, and it should be balanced. There's built in ways to prevent team stacking, as well as further options to change how you want to ally other players. The host is given the option to type -aa to enable alliances.

Hmm, what should I have making iron then?
(keep in mind i'm making an expansion-type race that is good at colonizing the map.)

I'm not sure, really. Maybe that would be the best way to go about it.

About the tracking beacon for infantry, you can always say that the entire force cannot afford to place tracking beacons on vehicles. Also, I've seen that many people send random recon squads to go scout the map, but then they die unnoticed.
Other then that, I'm ok with everything else.

Ah, I see. Well, you could have it so only special infantry (scouts, perhaps) have the beacon. That way, your map isn't getting pinged all over the place when you're getting massacred.

Level 5
That would make sense for only scouts and vehicles.
--CREATOR'S BLOCK--
Yes, i'm afraid i have it. AGHHHH!!!!!!
I need creative help.

Level 10
Actually, what if specalized infantry and the construction unit. That way you can never lose where your builder goes.
Also, as part of the existing game, why not add a kind of weather that damages certain things. Like an ice storm can cancel out all construction, and reduce visability. Ion storm that casts down lightning and you lose your minimap (ya for C&C TS).

Level 3
I love machines but they only have 3 units and no upgrades that works yet and lc-f2r sucks 1 normal trooper is better.lc-f2r they take a 2/10 of a scouts life when they hit. can't wait for next patch then mayby machienes is mutch better.

I also love the machines build system but can you make it so i can build bulding longer away from my base plz.

But it's fun my friend and me played it hour upon hour we could'nt stop 4.2/5 becouse some bugs and machine race aren't finished.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.