• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Amaranthine Scribe : a New RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys, I'm writing this post about a mod my friend and I have been working on for about the last 2 months. Unfortunately, its only about 30-40% completed, but we have a solid backbone. So I suppose this would be the first of what could become an update on our progress.

Concept: In all honesty, Josemite and myself have spent hours upon hours playing every war3 mod known to man. From DotA, to TBR, to countless tower defense mods and team survival games; we love em all. Great Ideas. So we want to build upon a lot of the favorite gameplay features of many mods and combine them into one: a RPG.

Characters: We decided to go with a completely different character design for our game. One of my biggest pet peeves in a mod is when you choose a character that looks like an archer, but then you find out its a kind of playstyle you didn't sign up for. But you invested time, so you keep on keepin on. We decided to have 3 choosable PLAYSTYLES from the beggining, that evolve into classes as you choose. For example, a basic archer can be anything from a hardcore shoot anything down, to insane crowd control, even to one of our two healing classes.

Talents: There are 100 levels in this game. Every level, you will recieve 1 point. Points can either be spent to increase your active abilities, or pump nice passives. It is IMPOSSIBLE to max everything in the game. At level 100, you will be able to max about 35% of the total choices. Maxing out a skill completely (10/10 for example) will also grant you new little nifty bonuses to the ability. More talents become available to you as you evolve your character.

Monsters: While most of our regular world creeps are unmade because were testing a more intelligent creep system (working with other monsters, attacking town in clusters, etc.)

Instances: WE HAVE INSTANCES. YOU CAN RESET THEM. Yes, fight your favorite bosses over and over for loot without resetting the game. Instances give higher experience than regular world mobs. Instances are aimed for a decently balanced team of 4 to engage.

Bosses: Honestly, Josemite and myself are a huge fan of difficult bosses that require smart people to execute a strategy correctly. Idealy, 4 people of the instance's level of a decent makeup will struggle with the boss slightly; However, boss gameplay has unique ideas and stylings that will take awile for you guys to figure out all the quirks. Should be fun.

This isn't just an rpg. We decided to not create 1/4 of the map in case this project became popular to create and-game content designed for 10 level 100 people. We will, however, be including a tower defense-rpg combination event for level 95 individuals. This will entail an already-created random maze at game startup, with your choice of x towers to engage (strategy). Monsters and bosses that get through the maze, you must fight with your character to protect xyz thing. (yet to be finished). Town guard reputation will help determine how many towers you can activate.

Terrain. Painstakenly, I've taken a good solid three weeks moving from rough draft to a final map, which looks, *sigh*, good. 38,371 doodads so far, and I'm pleased with the results.

Quests: My older brother, soon to be creative writing professor, for some reason agreed to write all our quests. We have a scheme of a main quest line, with side quests, some repeatable, along the way. Quests are vast, and even split some questgivers to have different in town rep with different people; which can net you different items and quests.

We understand that people love to bot rpgs like this overnight. Since we dont mind it, we decided to embrace it. There will be botting quests, as well as high-respawn areas within certain zones. Remember, you get less xp for mobs outside of instances. This will be balanced so the fastest way to level will be instancing and questing; but we want people to be able to bot if they gotta go to work or whatever.

Features: (oooh boy)

-save-load feature
-backpack (like the wisp in TBR)
-display damage done, separated by forms. (ex: white damage, special attack damage, even display experience and damage received)
-PARTY FRAMES (for non-bang your head against a wall healing)
-item clearing system. Remember in TBR how when you bot it would crash? We plan to mark items on the ground every five minutes. any item marked twice is removed from the map. wooooot.
-Town portaling, diablo 2 style. This map is huge.
-Waypoints, Diablo 2 style. O yea, baby!

*I will be updating this in days to come. Please reply comments or questions. My main purpose for this post is to start getting some feedback on what we have started to create.*

I hope you guys are excited.

Thanks for your time,

-Reym, Josemite & Infinitive

Level 7
Looks fun, unlike most RPGs I see proposed on these forums! I look forward to seeing some screenies. ;)

Level 3
A couple notes on the skills etc. In the end you will have 10 active abilities (all in a spellbook, plus a dummy attack ability so you can attack move etc with your spellbook open) and 11 possible passive abilities. All abilities are triggered (in JASS) and this includes things like critical strikes and lifeleech, so your Magic Missile can crit and your Heroic Strike will lifleech (names pending... :p ). Additionally as a result of this, you will find items with +1% spell crit, +1% bash chance etc. Also all spells are done on a spell damage/spell healing system, so casters will scale just as fast as the melee classes.

Regarding items, there will be approximately half a dozen normal items, half a dozen magical items, and half a dozen to a couple dozen more powerful magic items for every 5-10 levels. There will also be uber items that need to be crafted using a combination of materials found throughout the world and special items that drop from bosses.

That's all for now.
(Oh if we could get a move to the Map Development forum that'd be great -.- )

Status
Not open for further replies.