• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #30 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_texturing-png.311503
contest-png.311487

p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
0-png.311473

thread_results-png.311519

untitled-1-png.319130

Art by: Wietze Fopma

Mythological Characters

Texture an ingame/custom model that resembles a character from any Mythology (Norse, Greek etc).

other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

other_judges-png.311510

• ~Nightmare
  • Heinvers

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
other_contest_judging-png.311506

Arowanna

Shading - 26
Concept - 30
Details - 28
Score = 84

Usage of gradients are excellent. Some parts need some shadows like in the neck. It would be much much better if you have chosen a far lesser known mythology. Very clean texture, only thing that's bothering me is the claw part where the violet and red transitions, it would be much much better if it was blended well. The scales are really good although it needs a little bit more highlights for it to be seen in game. Are those feathers or leaves? It seems to be off since the strokes are black.(edited)

~~~~~~~~~
Nightelfbuilder

Shading - 24
Concept - 30
Details - 25
Score = 79

The armor parts should be shaded accordingly too as well as the hair, which I know is very hard to nail. It would be good if you've gone for a far more lessen known mythology. The bones/armor blends with skin which makes it very hard to be seem in-game. You seemed to struggled with the hair part, not the best outcome but is decent enough. You could could've gone for a darker skin for the bones/armor to pop out. I commend for choosing Prime Matron as your model, which is very hard to texture.

~~~~~~~~~
PrinceYaser

Shading - 27
Concept - 30
Details - 27
Score = 84

Spot on shading. Greek mythology is widely known and choosing it is very safe. It is very weird that the eyes are blank, making her look emotionless. I also see that you're trying to make the cape look like a bear(?) on which you failed since the quiver is on top the cape. The cloth in the chest part blends with the skin when zoomed out. I love the bow details.

~~~~~~~~~
Wildfire

Shading - 22
Concept - 30
Details - 25
Score = 77

Shading is good enough, although I would like to see metals to be read as metal, like the axe and the armor. It lacks highlights. Oh nice concept although you seemed to chose a wrong model to texture. There are other models out there that lets you alpha-out heads like Undead Arthas. I really like the face detail on the chest part although I would really like a different shield. The boots, pants and weapon lacks detail unlike the face on the chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arowanna – Bastard Spawn of Hakkar

Shading 27/30

Hey man, it’s been a while since I saw your texturing and I’ve got to say that this really hits it in the shading department. You could’ve enforced the intensity a bit since it looks a bit washed when compared to ingame models.

Concept 30/40

While not entirely based on real life mythology, I like the flavor here. It reminds me a bit of the Aztect’s Quetzalcoatl when looking at the feathery features.

Details 28/30

Nicely done details mate. I enjoy every bit of it. Although highly stylized, I feel that the face could’ve used more love. A tad more sharpness and clearer scales.

Total 85/100

~~~

nightelfbuilder – Lilith, Mother of Demons

Shading 20/30

First off all, you improved the shading technique with every texture you did so far.
Although I enjoy this and its clearness, I feel that as of now it’s too clean and not really strong with shadows and highlights. It could use more sharpness and contrast.
You could play more with level and colors next time. Good piece overall.

Concept 29/40

Lovely output so far. It could use more flame-like tattoos and sharper face.

Details 17/30

The eyes, breasts and tattoos are the strong points here, while the rest are hardly noticeable if not looking them up close. The legs, torso, hands and wings could use better color to contrast the look more and read them well from afar.

Total 66/100

~~~

PrinceYaser – Artemis, Goddess of Hunt

Shading 24/30

This is a tad too dark in-game and is in dire need of stronger highlights, especially the face. Nice result nonetheless.

Concept 35/40

Jackpot hit right with this. You could’ve played more with her hair and bust.

Details 24/30

Some details seem smudged and lost in the color scheme you chose.

Weak points being the hair, legs and cape. Good work anyway.

Total 83/100

~~~

Wildfire – Xing Tian, The Headless One

Shading 19/30

You have to work more on defining your shadows and highlighs.

The texture is too erased because of said issue. Play more with levels and curves to achieve better defining for this character.

Concept 36/40

Good call at choosing the character. ‘could use more life for the bust are though.

Details 15/30

This texture needs sharper details on the bust, hands and could use various paints on the armor.

Total 70/100

thread_results-png.311519

TxC30calc.png

TxC30_winn.png

Also a big THANK YOU for KILLCIDE with helping debunk the maths and all that mumbo jumbo thing :]

Contest | Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.