• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #25 Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again we've gone through another contest. It would be good to have a discussion for the next one going on.
You know what to do. Let suggestions rain from the forums!

Previous themes:

Suggested themes:

Steampunk - is a subgenre of science fiction and sometimes fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.

Alien/Sci-Fi - could be anything from the deepest oozes of space to the lightest canopy creatures just as long as it looks otherworldly.

Elemental - creatures of nature/space/universe that have the sole purpose of keeping the original chaotic nature of things.

Dark Elves/Drow - related to the night and much more elven like spider theme robes(you name it we make it).

Ethereal - beings that are torn between this plane of existence and the next one.

Underwater monstrosity - anything from the ordinary naga all the way up to Cthulhu.

Alternate Life - what if Warcraft Characters had different storylines? Example: What if Arthas has never took the Frostmourne? How would other characters develop?
Though the idea above requires one to have very deep understanding of the lore.

Tribal - participants are required to create a tribal themed units. Whether it is the tribes associated with WoW lore, or real life, it is up to discussion.

Fusion - what happens if a satyr is fused with a gnoll? Create an acceptable concept texture that resembles a fusion between two creatures in the WoW universe.

Game of throne - because the show is takes and interesting approach towards ancient history and we can do what ever we want with it. On top of that, it brings a more realistic texturing approach.

Dragon warrior - one could turn a unit into a lizard type creature or take a unit and give him a sweet looking plate armor with dragon designs all over it.

Double and Down - contestants are to pick any of standard playing or tarot cards, and convert the idea upon a character skin of choice. Such skin can, for examples, be a cruel yet stunningly beautiful Queen of Hearts, a wretched old Ace of Spades, an undead monstrosity representing the Hanged Man, or a building texture of a temple to represent the Wheel of Fortune.

Pirates - a pirate is a person who commits warlike acts at sea without the authorization of any nation. Yarrr m8!

Insect/Insectoid - any relate-able creature/being that's insect-like in its nature. Think about the silithid and quiraji for example.

Retro game re-imagined - Retro games are generally those produced from the 1970s to 1990s. For example, this, this and this. You try to retexture it using a warcraft3 unit (maybe doom guard or Ogre) etc.

Dual nature - It could work by making two skins for a model or 1 for two different models depending on what that being/person can switch between.
  • For example, think of Jeckyl and Hyde.
  • An orc and a fel orc.
  • A worgen and a human.

Post to be updated further.

Last edited:
hmm i just kinda thought of this...

Alternate Life - What if Warcraft Characters had different storylines? Example: What if Arthas has never took the Frostmourne? How would other characters develop?

Though the idea above requires one to have very deep understanding of the lore...

Tribal - Participants are required to create a tribal themed units. Whether it is the tribes associated with WoW lore, or real life, it is up to discussion.

Fusion
- What happens if a satyr is fused with a gnoll? Create an acceptable concept texture that resembles a fusion between two creatures in the WoW universe.

mythologie! = I want to see some norse viking textures or egyptian textures. or maybe aztec looking units etc. DO AT!

Doodad texture = way to much love has been given to the units and buildings. How about a change? :D

Tileset texture = same idea as above... the rest of warcraft needs some sweet luvin too!

Dragon warrior = because why not. one could turn a unit into a lizard type creature... or take a unit and give him a sweet looking plate armour with Dragon designs all over it.

Game of throne = because the show is dope... and we can do what ever we want with it :D + a more realistic texturing approach.

Level 30
There's a place for pixel art thingies - we did a mini texturing contest creating UI standard icon borders for an example. Could be interesting to see something similar in the future, such as new hero HP/MP bars.

We can merge LoL and DotA in one I think, they're the same genre after all and it narrows down to getting a free slot for the 10 options theme poll.

Another theme suggestion:
Double and Down - Contestants are to pick any of standard playing or tarot cards, and convert the idea upon a character skin of choice. Such skin can, for examples, be a cruel yet stunningly beautiful Queen of Hearts, a wretched old Ace of Spades, an undead monstrosity representing the Hanged Man, or a bulding texture of a temple to represent the Wheel of Fortune.

This also made me think of actually stealing the Seven Sins idea from icon contest I suggested a while ago and maybe trying it with skins?

There's a place for pixel art thingies - we did a mini texturing contest creating UI standard icon borders for an example. Could be interesting to see something similar in the future, such as new hero HP/MP bars.

We can merge LoL and DotA in one I think, they're the same genre after all and it narrows down to getting a free slot for the 10 options theme poll.

Another theme suggestion:
Double and Down - Contestants are to pick any of standard playing or tarot cards, and convert the idea upon a character skin of choice. Such skin can, for examples, be a cruel yet stunningly beautiful Queen of Hearts, a wretched old Ace of Spades, an undead monstrosity representing the Hanged Man, or a bulding texture of a temple to represent the Wheel of Fortune.

This also made me think of actually stealing the Seven Sins idea from icon contest I suggested a while ago and maybe trying it with skins?

Seven deadly sins would be awesome, add that to the list and see how it does in this poll.
Doodad Sets - Contestants are to modify one of the ingame textures that are used on a large variety of doodads (like Doodads0.blp), while keeping a certain theme.

Sadly pixel art won't work too well on health bars since they get stretched about 90% of the time...

Level 25
M'kay then.

Overwatch-Anything related to the Overwatch universe. Might be an Overwatch agents, some Omnics, Talon soldiers, even the 21 heroes themselves!

Lore Characters-Someone from the Warcraft Lore. Varian, Sylvol'jin, etc.

Lol I'm not that original, but might as well could be added to the list.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

And how do other themes not do that? Not everyone plays a moba. Same goes for other themes. Like the last one for example.

he has the point. which left me a bit trouble to find an interesting character for me to reskin in the previous contest lol.

and then someone said "it's not really him, why did you made a skin of him if you didn't know who is he?" it's what i get for putting up an old man on a horse in the game universe where he never ride a horse before. sigh..

Last edited by a moderator:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I like that ASSFAGGOT title XD

With the paired contest, well, it will be really hard to get some entries/people interested in and it will take too much time.

Sexual Orientation Inversion - make a unit's sexual orientation inverted. Like the Illidan model (which is male) turned into a female of the same model.

I appreciate having a paired texturing-modelling contest but that's for another time and thread.
Thank you for the post.

DotA theme shall not be done. LoL, well, that could be integrated in the AoS/MOBA genre.
However, it is rather way too wide in interpretation.

DotA, on the other hand.....let's just quote Just_Spectating /have we come full circle?/
That and there's much hate from some people towards this particular game/successor(kind of) of wc3.

I quite like that idea. That one brings back quite the memories.
Added!

I am not that sure about cross-dressing though. It might spring some ideas that are too twisted for practical uses.

we did Diablo, How about Starcraft?
Some units already have their cameo in Starcraft II (namely the tauren and murlock marines) and vice versa (Hydralisk, Marine, zergling) let's create some more buddies for them

You hint at the franchise as a whole or a specific race based theme?
I feel that the SC theme is a bit wider than the Diablo theme we previously gone through.

Last edited:
I quite like that idea. That one brings back quite the memories.
Added!

I am not that sure about cross-dressing though. It might spring some ideas that are too twisted for practical uses.

You hint at the franchise as a whole or a specific race based theme?
I feel that the SC theme is a bit wider than the Diablo theme we previously gone through.

doesn't have to be a bad thing
the diablo theme excluded some people from entering due to unfamiliarity with the game,
but considering the Hive also supports SC modding, anyone here should be familiar with starcraft.
we've had broad themes before, and I think it will provide a very wide range of creativity for everyone

I was thinking that for such a theme we could allow custom models to be textured as well.
It might spark more imagination that way and limit it less for some people seeing as the vanilla models have little(with few exceptions of course) to no corresponding units to the SC/SC2 ones.

What do you think guys?

Also, Apheraz's borrowed idea of Seven Deadly Sins could work for texturing. We have quite a lot of vanilla units that could be turned into such an idea.
For example, Abomination and Ogre for Gluttony and Tinker or Alchemist for Greed.

How about = Feral creatures/beast?

People could turn things into werewolf, bearwolf, create wierd interresting beast as well. There's plenty of ''animal'' models in warcraft too! Could be fun :D
That one's interesting. I reckon that we could expand that with something like morphed units/dual nature.

• An orc and a fel orc.
  • A worgen and a human.

It could work by making two skins for a model or 1 for two different models depending on what that being/person can switch between.

That one's interesting. I reckon that we could expand that with something like morphed units/dual nature.

• An orc and a fel orc.
  • A worgen and a human.

It could work by making two skins for a model or 1 for two different models depending on what that being/person can switch between.

Sounds like fun! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.