• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Textures and animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I am making a troll model and I used war3 Model Editor and Milkshape but I have a problem. When I imorted into Milkshape, everything was fine. But when I imported back into mdx/mdl, it was covered with black and white splotches and wouldn't do anything. I recreated the bones and stuff and gave it animations. But it won't work. I can get hero glow and team color but the skin won't show up. Help Please!!!!!!:huh:

Level 7
did you remember to run zero joints before you redid the animations in milkshape? because if you didn't then the animations will screw up. you could always try using animation transfer from oinkerwinkle, or manually put the animations in using notepad.

i wouldn't know about the texture, i would assume you you know how to properly unwrap your model in milkshape, i personally don't know how to do it. i saw a little while ago someone made a small tutorial on how to do it, let me find it quick for you.

*edit* heres the one http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32623, not exactly the one im looking for but it shows how to do it. also try this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41840 its a tutorial all about milkshape, i hope this answers your questions. good luck.

Level 22
When you export a model from MS3d to mdx and open with war3 model editor, the model is white. That's because in texture or material manager you will see textures\white.blp. Remove it and import the textures you use. Re-open war3 model editor and it will have textures. Now your path is YourTexture.blp not Textures\blabla\bla\. When you import in milkshape you lose the animations, then back to .mdx he has no animations. That's one thing not good for the importer, always removes animations.

Level 23
The pics are in the word doc.

Here are the pics. This is what I have for him.

The pics are in the word doc.

Hopefully, you will be able to help me figure out what is going wrong. As this is my first model and I don't intend for it to be trashed.
thx.

Attachments

• Troll Shadow tracker.doc
    109 KB · Views: 232
Level 7
varaigen i also using milkshape can u edit a wc3 model in milkshape? i mean like change then model and have allready finished animations? i wana have ur msn m8 :p tell me it :D

Level 7
as far as i can tell the reason its not working is because you didn't put Textures\Headhunter.blp and so on in notepad.

Textures 9 {
Bitmap {
Image "",
ReplaceableId 2,
}
Bitmap {
Image "Headhunter.blp",
}
Bitmap {
Image "",
}
Bitmap {
Image "ForestTroll.blp",
}
Bitmap {
Image "gutz.blp",
}

and one of them is completely missing so could you post the textures you used or something? possibly the original ms3d file? im pretty sure thats your problem so if you were to change them they should work.

Level 7
i need ur help guys im new to milkshape i just made 3 models so far with no textures i dont know how to add textures onto models. and i wana import allready existed animates i mean like edit allready existing units :p

Level 23
Here is the origional out of milkshape. Hope it helps. ^ ^

Im sorry. I tried to upload the ms3d model but hive won't upload it. I know how you can get it in though. Using Milkshape, you can import the model and it then can be saved as an ms3d file. Hopefully that will help. And to anyone who reads this, please don't steal my model idea. I worked very hard on it.

Level 7
not looking to steal, just to help. stealing isnt tolerated on this site so you have no worries. to upload your ms3d file you must zip it to post it on the site. so use winrar or izarc or winzip to compress it and post it. Also please put the textures you used into a file and zip those as well so i know exactly what you used.

Level 7
well the only thing i can see about it is that in the MDL there was no path to the textures such as Textures/Headhunter.blp for any of them. im going to try to import it into 3ds max and apply it.

*edit* ok well i imported it into max, and applied the textures. they look ok for the most part but i don't know what textures to use for the spear, front loin cloth, and the shoulder armor so i just made the shoulder armor team glow and the loin cloth and ball team color. im sure you can change it in vertex modify if you want or something. so here it is, you will have to tweak it and stuff, it does not have bones so it cannot have animations transfered to it. im guessing your planning on editing it in milkshape.

the team color is screwed up i basically just put it on so it has texture, but im positive you can fix all of this in vertex modify. i was in a rush so at least it shows up in magos and WE

Attachments

• troll shadowtracker.MDX
    78.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 6
Oh I just loaded the Model in War3ModelEditor, Imported all the Textures in Texture Manager and createtd for each Textur a Material (before this I removed all Materials and some Geosets, because they weren't needed, they were empty)

In GeosetManager I choosed for each single Geoset the right Material, first I had some trouble because I didn't knew that the FilterMode for Teamcoloured Materials 'Blend' is.

ok varsaigen, there are still somethings for you to do:
-add DecayBoney
-add Portrait
-animate
-...?

Level 23
for general frank to help me out since he's an uber modeler

this is the model so far. I have made a few adjustments but can't get the animations to work. I also don't know how to get the portrait and the skeleton.

Update:
Updated version in next post. Hopefully Cavman can help me finish it by giving it animations. Thx Cavman!

Attachments

• TrollShadowTracker_fixed.mdx
    191 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Level 23
Thx guys for al your help. here is the latest version of it. Cavman is supposed to add the animations if he wants to. I have a list of the wanted animations for him. Here is the model. (only for cavman only)

UPDATE:
I have uploaded the wardeye texture. Hope that helps, Cavman

Attachments

• TrollShadowTracker.mdx
    190.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Eye3.blp
    8.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.