• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Test of Faith v2.01d

Melee micro simulator with huge amount of choice involved.
Fight your everyday foes to earn the gods favor. Manage fate of your units and guide them to live another day.

Map contains no modified or altered units and provides high variety of enemies you get to either encounter or control.
No heroes allowed!

Cannot be played on Reforged graphics. Map uses terrain modification triggers which do not bother to work.

Gameplay & Features

-a force of enemies spawns daily in attempt to destroy the Sacred Pillar
-for each force destroyed you are granted a choice of rewards
-there is no victory, only hope to live another day

-game difficulty scales around player army and actions
-reward system follows mindfully crafted patterns taking player state into account
-before game begins, player is able to customize their starting army
-early weeks are least punishing, allowing almost any unit combination opener possible
-AI controlled units have enhanced behaviour on their spellcasting leaving no abilities underutilized
-includes nearly every melee unit in game (plus campaign naga units)
-every week presents an additional challenge to fulfill = succeeding gives choice of unique game modifiers
-variety of terrain environments

For much more detailed info about rewards, enemies and mechanics visit my discord server (link below).

Join the MStylo World Editor Discord Server! (sQKaEVk).
If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, do not hesitate to contact me on [email protected].

If you enjoy my maps, consider supporting me on Patreon. Allows me to spend more time balancing and creating new maps.

Check my other maps revolving around melee of the Test series.

Previews
Contents

Test of Faith v2.01d (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
This is not altered melee (please remove this tag). It's Strategy/Risk and Defense/Survival, more of the latter. No player colour change? Could work better with more players too. "Our allied town is under siege!" spam. Does food supply count? I mean...
Level 9
Okay I have tried my very best to make it accessible for all patches and the options are I can either set it to work on latest patch = which it is right now and therefore requires to be played on latest patch OR set it default which downgrades all melee units into point of state many pathes ago where Archers have 310 health & no Elune's Grace. It just cannot be set to convinence for all player patches. It seem to work with melee maps only.

Level 5
Interesting game. Seems simple but it is complicated. I like it as much as i am confused with it
I ll revisit my statement when i have spent some time on different combinations.

So today i played a round with the following choices. Items, Race based, Sacred Pillar, Supply decay, Challenges, advanced spellcasting. Normal mode.
I got orc and i followed it up with considerable researches. I encountered an issue when I reached Week 6, the research drop box disappeared. I had a composition of grunts, tauren, docs, codo, beserkers.
Question: is there a way to hotkey the consumable reward healing bar on the top of the screen?
Decay: I had a similar problem with orcs, decay started even though i had killed all units. Maybe codo devour didnt trigger right.

i ll follow up with updates in this original statment if you are interested in my feedback.

2nd Review
I
started playing this game again and i enjoyed some of the changes implemented in the latest patch.
I selected all choices on normal mode and race focus seems to work very nicely.
I got undead and i tried to prioritize supply and sustainability. Around 35-40 supply i started focusing on
upgrades and items as i had composed a decent army with abos, destroyer, fiends, statue and frost wyrm.
I treated the frost wyrm as my hero and got him an ank, potions etc and i equiped all fiends with orbs and
damage items. Abos carried auras and scrolls. So i was now solid 50 supply and steady when i reached the
decay trigger issue after a day 7 when the hero of the week summoned animated dead.
I tried the same strategy and i am managed to reach week 27.
I thorougly enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Level 9
The research box seems to be a current warcraft 3 bug. It keeps happening when you jump to windows while having reward dialog open. What you have to do is jump into windows and back again and it should reappear. But you raise a point, I can make it keep coming back automatically.
I can't really work with any way of allowing the player setting his own hotkey. Perhaps in wc3 options you can modify hero selection that is default to F1 into something else and it should work as well as ESC which an is extra option I've added. But I recommend using ESC because I'm about to remove trigger that would return the selection group after using F1 or manual click. It started causing issues with new feature I'm about to add.

Your comment is much appreciated. Any feedback is always welcome. Especially if you put effort into giving me info of possible cause or surroundings.

Level 5
The research box seems to be a current warcraft 3 bug. It keeps happening when you jump to windows while having reward dialog open. What you have to do is jump into windows and back again and it should reappear. But you raise a point, I can make it keep coming back automatically.
I can't really work with any way of allowing the player setting his own hotkey. Perhaps in wc3 options you can modify hero selection that is default to F1 into something else and it should work as well as ESC which an is extra option I've added. But I recommend using ESC because I'm about to remove trigger that would return the selection group after using F1 or manual click. It started causing issues with new feature I'm about to add.

Your comment is much appreciated. Any feedback is always welcome. Especially if you put effort into giving me info of possible cause or surroundings.
Oh thanx for the info. Esc works fine, no need for custom. Research box really not a big deal as you said with alt tab it reappered like magic.

Level 4
I selected divine guardian, either lv6 or 7, saw the pillar of light gfx like a unit would be spawned, but nothing else happened. A unit is supposed to spawn then right? If so here's replay.
Thnx for updates. What is your formula for spawning siege units? It seems as with air units, when it airs it pours and you end up with 4 meat wagons or half a dozen mortal teams hiding in the trees.

Attachments

• No divine guardian,nerf siege btw xd.w3g
    290.3 KB · Views: 179
Level 9
Wow you really got screwed over by those siege. I already had a suspicion they were spawning bit more than intended. I'll neft them soon.
Thanks for letting me know about Divine Guardian. There was small chance that it would random no unit.

Level 4
  • -air command: Being forced to use this because the map generates a wave the player cannot clear reeks of bad design. The single biggest offender present.
I agree. Perhaps the pillar has an (pre game option?) upgradable attack or anti air attack, or it summons lightning bolts etc... While there is way less air than earlier patches typing -air hurts on a few levels.
I think it's a replayable map, especially for single player. Maybe not like fiend addictive, but maybe you head out to the ghetto to buy some crack once or twice a month addictive albeit pretty consistently.
I also somewhat defend the "useless" item question, most days most rewards are relatively useless. Orbs not allowing ground attackers to hit air is lame, afaik game engine problem with no easy fix...ironically it would help the -air problem.

Level 9
Thank you for wide feedback Krauser.

Sacred Pillar Destructible: I may eventually remove it but still some people play without it.
Items: many items will simply feel bad because they are designed for different purpose. It's an extra feature making rewards feel less hollow and enhacing high level creeps to feel way better. I'm trying to include as many various items as possible in exchange for their usage that's true. But it's the better option, otherwise there would be only same 12-20 good items just like in the early versions. I can't use any stat items or Sobi Mask which are among the best feel items in game.
Challenges: soon to be improved
Race Focus: great to see different people value different features

Restore: it was designed to help squishy units to stand a chance against heavy nukes (crushing wave against archers is nothing you can do about it situation). I know it's sort of a weird mechanic and takes a while to get accustomed to but it rewards player's skill and provides survivability mid-combat without making either low or high level units busted. I'm sure there is ways of improvement though.
Divine Encouragement: this is to help "Sacrifice all units for big boy" survive. Nothing too much just some hp regen and armor which is fairly needed when fighting 1v5. Of course when you are left with 3 archers on week 8 you can't expect an aura to save you. :D
Rewards considering current state: the system cannot be overly generous otherwise you would easily get too convinient runs. You just need to remember you have a chance unit will be tied research you own and research to be tied to unit you own. 20% +1% per research for units and 30% for research. It's reliable as far as rng can get you. And of course chances of other rewards like healing are getting buffed if demanded.
-air command: I have done alot of improvements to minimize having to fight against air enemies with no ranged units but of course there are cases. I'm thinking of way of removing it completely.

Only channeling gets interrupted when units are paused. Any order will continue to be executed afterwards. You don't really channel any other ability other than cannibalize which may uneffectively consume your resource - corpse.

It is just a melee micro simulator but one of the best in it's category :3

I agree. Perhaps the pillar has an (pre game option?) upgradable attack or anti air attack, or it summons lightning bolts etc... While there is way less air than earlier patches typing -air hurts on a few levels.
I think it's a replayable map, especially for single player. Maybe not like fiend addictive, but maybe you head out to the ghetto to buy some crack once or twice a month addictive albeit pretty consistently.
I also somewhat defend the "useless" item question, most days most rewards are relatively useless. Orbs not allowing ground attackers to hit air is lame, afaik game engine problem with no easy fix...ironically it would help the -air problem.
I'm trying to include as little modifications to default units and mechanics as possible. Pillar shooting or melee units attacking air could be bit too much.

Level 1
So...not sure if it's a bug or not, but surely seems like one.
  • Test of Faith 1.17b;
  • Night Elf;
  • All options on;
  • Hard difficulty;
  • Archer, Hippogryph, Mountain Giant;
  • The Archer is always replaced by a Queen of Suffering.
That's quite an upgrade from a simple Archer :)

Level 12
Sup Stylo, i hope you are doing well and that you are still working on this map, it is one of the best custom maps after all. :wink:

I was watching Wtii play this map and this thought came into my mind, I think the map gets a bit too predictable, especially after you played it or watched it being played by someone a few times and since this map is heavily based on the replayability aspect i believe it lacks that extra thing to make it feel more fresh each time you play it, so here are some suggestions:

---- There should be some extra events :spell_breaker: that happen at least once during each week like this:

- This would be called the Clones Event:

It is clear that all the waves look pretty random with random creeps but i would love to see certain waves having only 1 type of unit (as example a wave of 13 ghouls, or 10 archers, or 3 mountain giants, or 10 sorcs, etc.)

- This would be called the Random Faction Week Event and Special Themed wave Event:

It would be cool if certain weeks have random themes to them (as example, Undead week, where every wave has only undead units and the final wave having an undead boss as well, even the rewards like the items can have an undead theme as well).

Talking about themes, i think it would be cool if there were waves in some random normal weeks that have a special theme like a Starcraft theme wave for example, where one entire wave is made out of zerlings (like 15 zerlings for week 3, wave 5) or a wave of 5 marines, i think this would be fun. (The zerling and all the other starcraft units can be found in the war3 editor, i think they are fun and easy to play and be used in this map without breaking the overall micro theme.
It can be used for the final wave in a week as well, for example having 2 hydralisks for the boss wave.

Other themes for special weeks or waves: Naga theme, Fel orcs theme, draenei theme, etc.

- There should be some random boss waves that have heroes as well replacing the high level units, for example for the first week there can be a random level 3 Hero, and the higher the week, the higher the level of the random enemy hero would be, the enemy hero can have some extra items as well, stronger items for later weeks.

This can go hand in hand with the previous themed events thing, for example for the undead week event, there can be an undead last boss hero at the end of the wave.

I hope my suggestions aren't too crazy or out of the blue, and that you will consider them.

Level 9
Thank you for stopping by.
I do have an idea like this in mind for over a year by now where enemy on certain day would be fully themed but plenty of other improvements got importance over it. Why I haven't made it yet is because it requires some real cautious implementation and thinking so the regular day enemies and rewards don't start to feel underwhelming or worse, things start to break.

Level 1
hey, i just recently created this account specifically to give a kind of review of this map. been playing it for a while and i think it has a lot of potential, even though it's already very good. i've gotten to week 23 and i was slightly shocked that i died to a caster attack when i had pretty good forces )those are really something that could be tuned down, especially with advanced casting where even with dispels it's pretty ridiculous). i also think that it would be really nice to see some more objectives on the game, such as: having a hero (as a specific gamemode) that levels up at the end of every week, you not being able to choose what hero it is at the beginning and it would open options for more reward options, maybe (stuff like hero auras and death coil/holy light being really a bit op, but maybe functional); though i like the "kill marked enemies first" objectives, i think you could make more with that basic idea, for example forcing the player to get last hits with a specific unit, or not allowing one of your units to get last hits at all (this could play into maybe having more than one challenge per week after a certain number of weeks). over all, the map is very good, and i would love to see more development being done on it. i don't knw if you're still planning on updating it, but stuff like really good custom items (your standard arcanite reapers) and even boss units (such as enemy heroes or joke units like kor'gall and snarlmane...) could be additions to the less interesting later weeks. oh and taunting shards are weird i haven't used them, are they any good? idk. i hope you keep working on what is quickly becoming my favourite custom game, and hope it becomes as good as possible. glhf, stylo

Level 9
Sorry for taking forever to reply. I was waiting for a moment of enlightenment to decide how to update the map further but it never came :D
I'm very fond with the current map state though.

Yeah spellcaster wave becomes toughest late game and can definitely catch you off guard despite anything you've got :D But it's impossible to get all the bs under control and being and endless mode it's good for it end unexpectedly.
Things like heroes especially would need to be done so carefully and still it would kind of break the map. Custom items I may do at some point but reason I have not done them yet is because the game could feel overwhelming to a newer player as it already is.
As cool as it would be to have even more challenges like you mentioned (force unit kills by a unit), it is extremely tough to execute. I have tried quite hard to come up with as many unique challenges as I could and some of them sometimes feel unnecessarily punishing.

Ideas I'm tinkering with in my head:
- 2 player coop
- last man standing multiplayer (4 players defending their own pillar)
- some form of story modes
- game mode that would feature waves specific to terrain you have chosen to play on
- custom items (just because I would have fun making them)

Thanks for your kind words. You are welcome to join my discord (map description here on hive):thumbs_up:

Level 5
any chance we could ever get a simple 2 players mod? atleast like just an additional slot that has shared control with player 1 so that you can do 2 players?