1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Test of Faith v1.07

Submitted by MStylo
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
A fine challenge for any melee player.

You start with a squad of few units and your task is to kill all the attackers coming during the day before they kill you. If you're successful, the gods will grant you a reward of your choice to help you survive another day.

Map contains no modified or altered units and provides high variety of enemies you get to either encounter or control.
No heroes allowed!

Features & Details

-waves are randomly generated out of group of randomed units making every wave unique
-once you kill all spawned enemies, summons die along with them
-enemy spawns with 200 movement speed which is reset to default as soon as you attack
-before you select difficulty, you get to choose game modes
-leaving the circular area is punished by death

-waves get stronger depending on difficulty chosen at the beginning. Easy raises enemy level every 7 days, Normal every 5 and Hard every 3 levels
-at start of every day on easy difficulty enemy has a 60% chance of getting random reseach, normal has 75% and hard 100%
-check Help(F9) for some useful commands

Reward System

How it works:

Every rolled Forces in rewards have 20%(+1% per research) chance to belong to a research you already own. For example to increase chances for a Necromancer you need either Necromancer Adept/Master Training or Skeletal Mastery.
Researches have 30% chance to be tied to a unit you currently own. Starting with Archers & Huntresses is quite likely to offer Strength of the Moon.
Aid options increase chances to recieve healing as an option if your army is low on health. If Sacred Pillar is lower than 10%, chance to restore it takes over.
Spells may offer Mass Dispel only if units are negatively affected.
Items (mode) are pure rng.

Options to recieve new units get hidden as soon as you have no spare food. Instead, you get offered food supply.

Day 1

[​IMG]
(1) Level 3 Forces
(2) Level 3 Forces with Heal ability
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Spells
(6) Items (Items mode on req.)

Day 2

[​IMG]
(1) Level 3 Forces
(2) Level 3 Forces / Random Level 3 Forces / Replace
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Spells

Day 3

[​IMG]
(1) Level 4 Forces
(2) Level 4 Forces / Random Level 4 Forces
(3) Level 6 Forces at cost of paying food supply
(4) Aid
(5) Research

Day 4

[​IMG]
(1) Level 3 Forces
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Sacrifice all units to summon high level neutral

Day 5

[​IMG]
(1) Level 3 Forces
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Spells

Day 6

[​IMG]
(1) Level 4 Forces
(2) Level 4 Forces / Random Level 4 Forces
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Day 7 enrage to recieve extra supply

Day 7

[​IMG]
(1) Level 5 Forces
(2) Level 5 Forces / Random Level 5 Forces
(3) Aid
(4) Research
(5) Items (Items mode on req.)
(6) Divine

Game Modes
Sacred Pillar Destructible: makes it necessary to defend. If it falls, you loose. Starts at 2000/1500/1000 health and gains 20/15/10 at the end of every day.

Items: All units possess inventory. Adds extra item rewards on days 1/3/5/7. If an unit dies (unless sacrified) carrying an item, it's lost.

Supply Decay: At the end of every week subtracts 2 food supply.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changelogs

v1.07
-
greatly improved reward system - every option except Items now considers player's current state increasing chances to offer more appealing options (used to be pure rng)
-removed Sacrifice options on days 2 & 6
-added +40% of missing health to all units, +50% of missing mana to all units, Sacred Pillar 100 armor next day to Aid options
-added new Spells options on days 1/2/5
-removed Mass Dispel from Aid options (now contained in Spells)
-added new Enrage option on day 6
-added health & mana loss decay to prevent from exploiting in order to regenerate
-added limit of how many siege units can spawn in a single wave (to prevent too many spawning especially in the early game)
-level 6 creep reward no longer costs 3 supply but 2 (unless your army strength is high)
-reworked notification warning about orbs (Gryphons & Huntresses can no longer carry them)
-fixed orbs modifying units attack indexes (fe. flying machine wouldn't need Bombs research to attack ground)
-if Sacred Pillar Destructible is on, idle enemies will now attack the pillar instead of chasing player units
-added all different types of neutral trolls & wolves into reward pool (keeping the same chance to roll)
-fixed replace abom/druid/knight/tauren not keeping items
-enemy no longer researches cannibalize/stone form
-fixed enemy Spirit Walker occasionally using Spirit Form
-fixed several issues with "-reward" command
-fixed some minor issues

v1.06c
-added sound effect 1 second before reward window appears (should help to prevent accidental picks)
-fixed losing benefit of picking "race units next week" as soon as double research shows up
-items now spawn closer to the pillar

v1.06b
-fixed recieving same research twice as an option
-fixed reincarnation issue messing defenders level counter (occured when unit died while another unit was reincarnating)

v1.06
-added extra research option when your current food is equal or higher than your food cap
-using Sacrifice all units for a powerful neutral will now cause to spawn no flying units on following day 6 and maximum of 2 units on day 3
-hard difficulty Sacrifice all units for a powerful neutral week 3 is now 1 level higher (8 to 9)
-added Rock Golem & Elder Sasquatch to level 6 unit reward pool
-added all 4 other types of Dragon Whelps into level 3 rewards (however chance to roll remains the same as it was one unit - previously only Red Whelp)
-added "-color r" command
-multiboard now stretches wider upon selecting rewards (no longer overlaps orc researches)
-some UI & Info(F9) text updates

v1.05
-new game mode
Supply Decay
-added new reward on day 3 - level 6 neutral at cost of 3 supply
-enemy strength on all difficulties now grows faster (hard affected mostly)
-hard difficulty Sacrifice all units to summons high level neutral level advantage removed
-pillar health on easy & normal difficulties reduced to 2000/1500 (20/15 growth)
-fixed bug with health/mana specials not working properly in every case
-health/mana specials are now being randomed every time a level 2 unit is rolled instead of being fixed (for example Batrider always had 85 heal to 3 units)
-aid option 150 mana to all units reduced to 125
-level 2 units special 85 heal to 3 random units increased to 100
-level 2 units special 50 mana to 3 random units increased to 100
-level 2 units special 20 heal to all units increased to 30
-level 2 units special 15 mana to all units increased to 20
-removed Bronze Dragon Whelp & Nether Dragon Hatchling from level 3 unit reward pool
-added Fire Revenant & Quillboard Hunter & Gnoll Warden to level 3 unit reward pool
-removed Tuskarr Trapper from level 4 unit reward pool
-added Giant Spider & Eredar Sorcerer & Giant Sea Turtle to level 4 unit reward pool
-removed Satyr Soulstealer & Ogre Magi from level 5 unit reward pool
-added Tuskarr Sorcerer & Unbroken Darkweaver to level 5 unit reward pool
-removed Queen of Suffering from Sacrifice all units reward pool
-added Razormane Chieftain & Nerubian Queen & Ancient Wendigo to both enemy day 7 spawn pool and player Sacrifice all units pool
-added Magnataur Warrior & Elder Sasquatch to enemy day 5 spawn pool
-removed Staff of Negation from level 3 item reward pool
-added Scroll of Protection to level 3 item reward pool
-added Scroll of Healing & Scroll of Mana to level 5 item reward pool
-fixed several inventory issues
-added "-modes" command
-removed slightly advantageous chance to roll some level 2 units in rewards (Archer, Priest, Shaman...)
-fixed reincarnation bug when you were able to continue to play after pillar being destroyed
-divine aid units now head back faster if forced out the circle by flying enemy units
-added lightning effect on wards being killed outside the circle

v1.04
-introduced game modes: added
Sacred Pillar Destructible & Items
-removed -tech command. Research Status board is now visible at all times also showing current week and day
-bonus 85 heal or 50 mana to 3 random units can no longer pick just spawned unit

v1.03
-food supply reward is now reduced from 2 to 1 if your units level is higher than enemy+10
-added commands to change player's, ally's, enemy's color (-color # / -color ally # / -color enemy #)
-time before 1w/1d wave spawns increased by 2 seconds
-bonus 65 heal to 3 random units increased to 85 (Gargoyle, Batrider, Hippogryph reward)

v1.02
-fixed a major issue with map not showing in game
-first two weeks now spawn maximum of 1 air unit (0 if you have less than 2 units able to attack air)
-faerie dragons can no longer spawn first week
-no longer spawns more than one kodo/destroyer on the same wave
-added lightning effect when killed for leaving the area
-improved endgame message now also showing difficulty you played on
-new loadscreen image

v1.01
-release

Videos & Thanks

BTNFrostShield icon by Darkfang
BTNFireSwordBlue icon by 67chrome

Origin idea from a custom map in my beloved PC game from my childhood Celtic Kings: Rage of War <3

I did my best on enemy behaviour so you never have to search for a remaining enemy or find yourself somehow stuck. If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, feel free to contact me on emstylo@gmail.com.
Contents

Test of Faith v1.07 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
This is not altered melee (please remove this tag). It's Strategy/Risk and Defense/Survival, more of the latter. No player colour change? Could work better with more players too. "Our allied town is under siege!" spam. Does food supply count? I mean...
  1. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All your screenshots are broken.

2. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That is weird. It is working for me even if I logout on Chrome. Although I opened it at Microsoft Edge and it doesn't load. Can you see other people images? Anyone else can't see them?

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can se other people's screenshots, yeah. Try force refreshing your browser. Your local cache might still make you see the pictures even if they're not there.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Resolved, thanks for letting me know.

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Forcing players to use a command to manipulate the gameplay like the elimination of air units when the players can't fight them anymore is a bad game design. You should create the waves accordingly, depending on the strength and units the players have beforehand. If a player loses to such an attack but had the capability to win against it, then it's the player's fault.

The map doesn't show in the game at all on 1.31.1. What version have you saved it with? Actually, it might be because you've protected it. You should find a different way of doing it. If you're using Vexorian's Optimizer, do some tests, tick and untick some fields and see if 1.31.1 sees it ingame.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
    Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
    Details
    BB CODES
    BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
    Description Guide - Melee Maps
    Describing Your Melee Map
    Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
    The importance of a Description
    Description Guide - Maps
    Map Thread Guide
    Map Description Making: Good & Bad
    Map Description - Templates
    Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
    • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
    • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
    • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
    Paillan
    twojstaryjakcie
    Daffa the Mage
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

6. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Updated, issues fixed.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is not altered melee (please remove this tag). It's Strategy/Risk and Defense/Survival, more of the latter.

1. No player colour change?
    2. Could work better with more players too.
    3. "Our allied town is under siege!" spam.
    4. Does food supply count? I mean I could choose a Grunt when having 22/24. Or, if you don't have enough supply, you don't get to choose a unit next round/day?
    5. Curious, did you make use of all game's units, except heroes of course?
    6. Enemy units don't come together so you can easily smash the weaker ones first or the stronger ones depending on the case.
    7. Usually you choose units because upgrades are so random that you might not even have or get that unit until the "end".
    8. Razormane Medicine man :aht: and Spirit Walker.

Enjoyable and creative although it could use more content, gameplay mechanics and stuff as well as a multiplayer mode.

Approved.

(previous comments: Test of Faith v1.02)

borkenScreenshotsMeme.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1. I wanted to give it more of an adventure feel to it so I chose purple for the player and violet to the allied units and obelisk which you are defending. This way it's clean to recognize who is who.

2. Was playing with the idea of multiplayer. I may consider making it for two players.

3. Wasn't happening to me so much it would bother me and it was a good notification for player that the enemy reached middle.

4. I left that option to freely go over supply cap because otherwise let's say you have 3 supply left and after wave 7 it wants to offer you gryphon and destroyer. Both require over 3 food so you would have to be given an option of supply instead. It would be unnecessarily punishing and frustrating. Only when you have no spare food, your units options are replaced by supply. Here within map desription are screenshot examples of rewards, Day 6 contains this happening.

5. Nearly every unit is being used only with very few exceptions that didn't fit the mechanics. Like there is never gonna be a flying dragon as level 10, infernal as level 8 who could easily rekt 50% of your units with permanent immolation, infernal juggernaut as level 10 who casually summons an infernal or level 3 ghosts who could possess your knight.

6. This may seem like a negative and appear like it's me making it easy to let you kill a single unit while not fighting them all at once but this is intentional. After 5-6 weeks you are usually at 30-40 food and enemy strength keeps growing while yours doesn't. Soon these pickoffs become necessary for you to survive and it's all about skill to be able to reposition yourself. Fighting slightly weaker armies every day head on while getting barely one new unit would otherwise end after 3 days. :)

7. Yes you cannot foresee what unit you are gonna get to choose from but it is rewarding once you get a chance to use it. I dare to say there is alot of possibilities to play around especially with day 7 reward when you can focus on a certain race.

8. Statue and Kodo mvp aswell :D always happy to get them.

To be fair, I thought hard about putting together as much melee content as possible while making it always fair to the player. Waves are different every single time even after you play it 100 times. It offers as many options to play with as units in warcraft 3 can provide. You can choose which race you want to focus onto, you can sacrifice everyone for a powerful neutral, all spells are available, you can get help when you realize you need it, etc. There is lot's of content and mechanics behind it already so it's quite harsh to say it needs more. :/ There is only so much a man can do with unmodified warcraft 3 units. :D

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, honestly there's only arena defense. An adventure would require going beyond the death borders, doing things, basically, on other parts of the map than the middle.
    Well, honestly, I prefer a new unit than say, Moon Glaive, unless you have at least 3 Huntresses, of course.
    Yeah. Didn't try that yet. Can you have more units afterwards along the powerful one? How many times can you do this sacrifice? What's the minimum number of required units for the sacrifice?

Well, you could think of more game modes. It's a really fun map but the downside is, totally main game material and mechanics.

10. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Then consider it more as a quest. :D Just like the elves orcs and humans defended Mount Hyjal :D
    Sure some upgrades you don't get to use because you simply don't get that unit but it is always one option amongst many and it is up to you if you can afford to risk it.
    It kills everyone to summon a big guy so always only one. No difference when you already have an army of 15 units or last unit with 5% health.
    That is a good point I was thinking about some extra modifications but not so much yet since priority was to make the main concept working. Some extra features are something I will definetily consider.

11. Blasterixx

Blasterixx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pretty interesting and fun map, i really like the reward system and the simplicity of the entire map having to deal with only 100% strategic micro and choosing the right reward, but the big problem with it its the fact that its getting to repettitive, especially after week 3~4, i played untill week 8 with 60 food army and then i killed all of them by leaving the circle :xxd:, My suggestions would be the following:

1. Change the day 7 high lvl mob to day 6 instead, and put on day 7 a Random Hero to spice up the things(fighting only agaisnt units gets boring) for the first week the hero would be lvl 2, and gets 1 or 2 levels(depending of the difficulty for the next weeks).
    On harder difficulties the enemy heroes can have some items as well.

2. There are too many weeks :mwahaha:, more than 7 weeks seems to be to much in my opinion. So make week 6 or 7 the last one(giving maybe only units with chaos dmg in the last week as well? and the hero for that week would have chaos dmg as well like an exemple(Grom Hellscream from the campaign with the blood from Mannaroth).

3. Change the color of the enemies to red or blue( a color that can be seen on the minimap would be great, since the current color is invisible).

4. Make the obelisk in the middle be vulnerable to attacks as well( forcing the player to protect it and not just run arround the map focusing the enemy creeps one by one), give it maybe 5k hp with fortified armor for easy mode, 2500 hp for normal and 1500 hp for hard.

5. I noticed one of the choices we get after surviving a wave is this "orc/undead forces next week" with yellow words, what does this do exactly? i never get any forces the next week after picking that reward, so might be bugged.:eekani:

6. Another problem with the choice reward system would be the fact that the player has no idea what the rewards even are, for exemple: Sacrifice all units for etc powerfull monster, there should be said what lvl the monster is and what spells does it have as well, since sacrificing more than 5 units for any kind of unknown monster that is not atleast a lvl 9+ is really not worth it, maybe change the "sacrifice all units" to "sacrifice 4 units of your choising" that will be much better and make it more plausible in the late game as well when u have 10+ units already.

Overall great map with a cool and unique concept, i hope you all the best for the future of this project!:infl_thumbs_up:

12. bufek12345678998

bufek12345678998

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really liked the idea of the map and played it for around 1 hour. It gets really boring and easy after that. I would give that map overrall 3/5 but i still hope for more content and mostly 2-3 player co-op

13. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I admit I never went over 44-46 food, I was always greedy for researches so it is possible it can get easy once your army gets really big especially on easy or normal. I'll think of some restrictions so it is acually the enemy who kills you, not boredom. :D

It allows you to focus on one race next week. Every day first unit option and resarch are of given race.

It is meant more as a last resort or take the opportunity option but I can see it may have felt unnecessary since your army was way too big. I'd prefer keep it more as an unique option having it sacrifice all your units since it's a really powerful unit. If it was at cost of only few units it would be too op. But I may add into the option description unit level. Abilities are up to the players' knowledge. :D

Thank you for feedback and suggestions, I'll definitely consider them. What do you think in terms of co-op, should they have only one shared reward table or both players their own which would double the amount of armies on the battlefield? The first option seems more appealing to me and also more challenging to the players.

14. bufek12345678998

bufek12345678998

Resources:
    Resources:
    Personally i would have more fun if me and my friend got separate rewards but to not make it that easy, game could scale much faster in co-op

15. Redbody

Redbody

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can i Have version map that working on Warcraft 1.30.1 ? i can't find version v1.04 in warcraft 1.30.1
    btw the map is really cool

16. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, glad you like it. However I'm not quite sure how to downgrade it to 1.30.1 sorry :/

17. Redbody

Redbody

Resources:
    Resources:
    oh sad my computer cannot upgrade to 1.30.4 or newer

18. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello! I've been playing this map since v1.04 and I'm really impressed by its simplicity and difficulty in conjunction. Great work, I'm a big fan!
    I've tried v1.06 today and found a few bugs:

1. When you get double upgrades (at negative supply ratio), sometimes the given upgrade choices are the same.
    2. Units with reincarnation result in 'lumber' stat being reduced after their 'death'. After some research I found that it can be fixed with (although I haven't tested it):
    Code (vJASS):
    TriggerRegisterDeathEvent(trig, u) // fires when a unit with reincarnation dies
    TriggerRegisterUnitEvent(trig, u, EVENT_UNIT_DEATH) // doesn't fire

There is also a system out there tracking reincarnation (both death and resurrection), however I don't remember the name.

Also, I'd like to suggest a few things:

1. The options to sacrifice a random unit for healing/mana is almost never picked (at least by me). I think it would be better to instead sacrifice a random unit of a certain level (randomized as well) and give ~100*level health/mana to others. That would alleviate the fear of losing an Abomination to heal already full hp Archers, let's say.
    2. Have you considered Orbs giving an anti-air attack? Currently that would mean setting up a 2nd attack for each melee unit, which is too much of labor for a relatively insignificant effect. But when the Warcraft fixes become live, there is a chance of 'UNIT_WEAPON_IF_ATTACK_TARGETS_ALLOWED' actually working and giving/removing anti-air attack upon picking/dropping an item would be really easy. Something to keep in mind, I guess.
    EDIT: 3. The rewards dialog shows up without warning (sure, you can time it, but that is a matter of getting used to, which is no the best design, imo). This sometimes result in unwanted missclicks in situations where you regroup immediately after the fight and targeting a heal only to click on the dialog instead. I would suggest adding 2-3 ticks (BattleNetTick.wav) before the dialog shows up to prevent such occasions.
    4. The items sometimes spawn in an obstructed part of the field. I think it would be better to either spawn them south of the Pillar or within a ring (with min radius), so they are immediately visible when selected in the dialog.

Good luck with the development! Awesome map!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. MStylo

MStylo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, I'm already aware of that double upgrade happening, but did not know about reincarnation. Gonna patch it out soon.

1. That acually sounds quite good!
    2. As you described, it is pretty much impossible for me to allow melee units hit air with orbs unless I modify them all in object editor which is a kind of dumb thing to do. Also what I hate about orbs is that whenever you put them on units with effects like splash or bouncing it can ruin their attacks in one way or another. For example Orb of Corruption on Elder Hydra with splash makes the attacks to apply no debuf. Or worst case scenario - if you put it on Gryphon, his every attack will just vanish ending up doing nothing. I will have to improve on warning about that because that one hint when you pick your first orb is not enough.
    3. I've been thinking about that and a tick is a nice solution.
    4. Has it been spawning like too far from the pillar or too close to it?

Thanks alot for a very helpful feedback!