• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #20 - Poll

Who should win the Terraining Contest? Choose one entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_terraining-png.311502
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
2-png.311475
0-png.311473

thread_poll-png.311518

upload_2019-5-13_23-37-3-png.322819

Participants are to create a scene with the water structures. An oil platform, a lake town, a sea base are some of the unlimited examples. Structures that can be placed on a lake, river or sea. Water structures can be modern, futuristic, ancient or fantasy. You are free to draw inspiration from real life zones or fantasy ones but new things are encouraged to be portrayed.

Welcome to the poll for Terraining Contest #20! Please read through the rules before voting!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points, your entry on the award icon and a custom rank icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

other_entries-png.311509

Aruvalitia by Fang

Mellow marsh by Kristopher

Europa - Moon of Jupiter by Leods

Nazjashuri Complex by Neruvatar

Land of the Giants by NightStalker

Haven of the Pantheon by PrinceYaser

Iskandar City by Ragnaros17

Not Midnight Swamp Anymore by RedLord

Sea Sunset by SNART

Uncovered by Strydhaizer

other_judges-png.311510

other_judging_criteria-png.311511

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

• The voting will last for 14 days, from 22nd June 2019 to 5th July 2019 GMT
other_disclaimer-png.311508

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

Contest

Level 11
Hi, and good luck to all.
As my first terrain, is obviously I will not win, but that wasn't my objective. I joined to this contest for @Ragnaros17 , and I had the opportunity to know the great legends of terraining, which will obviously make me shred, but it allows me to have a firm goal to achieve, even though I may never achieve it.
I really hope to win the better, not I, my terraining really sucks.
Actually, im voting for PrinceYaser, his technique, execution, and idea are excellent, but I would vote for everyone else too, what excellent jobs they have done, if this were possible. This vote is arbitrary, simply given by the great technique and execution, but also by the emotion that prodice in me, which could also be replicated, for giving just one example, in the work of Neruvatar, which ignites my fervent emotion of follower and lore lover of Warcraft that I am.

Edit: @deepstrasz , I am completely agree with you. Particularly because my entry looks completely insane and off topic (Europa as a Moon, a giant ice wall, amounts of life in a Moon, etc), except if you read my little story.

Last edited:
I voted for Kristopher here, because i can see the complexity with his terrain, it might be too green but i really appreciate the design.

Good stuffs:
There is no stretchy objects (Yeah i really don't like seeing those with scenic terrains please forgive me). The way the background foliage is done looks very good (the woods) despite lacking color variations. The waterlilies are placed nicely i love it. It is also nice seeing birds here. The reflection is amazing (I really hate doing this, reflections it takes too much time to make). I see some objects pitched and rolled here (terrainers rarely do that now - like me) and i think that's good.

Bad stuffs:
The structure lacks some details (the structure design is really empty), the scene looks more like a radioactive rather than a swamp, most importantly, he should have not put a firepit in a wooden platform (that is so dangerous don't do that).

Suggestions:
• The structure design, maybe he could have added a bit of piratey design to it, or vines, or chimneys, or more windows.
• Still lack abit of details/objects on the platform, maybe stacked crates and barrels will work.
• The floor is too repetitive, I know SNS looks like that, but you can actually rotate some of the floors at the middle to 90deg, some 0 deg so the wood will look like this ( | | | | ==== | | | | ==== )
• The glows should be more colorful or more orange-yellow-ish to make it look like a sunrise or sunset and not look like it's a radioactive scene.
• Organize the objects within the platform people don't normally put random logs at the center.
• The scene will look really good if he actually used a dark DNC, and put the omnilights under the lanterns/postlights, make it look dusk where people still use lights while the sun is rising.

Overall i liked the swampy feeling of it, it makes sense for the theme despite the flaws. +1 for K here.

Last edited:
Level 5
Strydhaizer, thanx for suggestions. :)
I think, many of micro-things is not noticeable, like a stones under firepit for fire safety, clothes on the stairs, entrance to the attic (which is not visible at all, lol), rope, which the boat is attached to the pier, and etc.
Maybe I should have made the house smaller and more filled, or more emphasis on light, that I can't made normally. :)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Woah, so many epic entries to choose from. I'm having a hard time deciding. Just some thoughts on a few:
  • "Land of the Giants" is epic, though I don't see it blending with the theme a lot, aside from the castle being surrounded by water :p.

• "Haven of the Pantheon" is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Grey Havens. Got to love the Age of Mythology Poseidon statue :D. That's a nice touch. The bushes on the bottom left look a bit unnatural, and unfortunately call your attention. If the bushes were a bit more sober and their proportions were adjusted to be coherent with the trees, it'd look nicer.
    The sun sheds light into one's heart, and the water looks perfect. I
    t's just a pity the rest of the scene is too dark. Warcraft III limitations, I guess. Still, I can imagine the most epic scene. The sun illuminating the scene atop of the water with an orange and pink lighting. Underneath the water, a cold contrast of teal lights.

• "Nazjashuri Complex" I love it. Fits the theme perfectly. It only itches me that I look at the buildings and, damn, it's the sunken ruins archway xD

• "Sea Sunset", though the sea theme is kind of sundered by the searing sky :p. I see what the idea was, but in my head I picture an awesome scene with a lower angle of attack camera and a port with tons of things happening around: fruit stands, crates, people loading things in boats of all sorts. All this illuminated by a gorgeous sky with a line of water reflection between the viewer's point and the sun.

• "Mellow Marsh" somehow gains a lot of life from the Felwood lily pads. The building, I imagine, took a lot of work to do, but looks a tad bland, as someone's mentioned :<.

My appreciations are mainly on aesthetics and awe, of course. I'm way outdated on anything terrain-related that doesn't involve ordinary tiles and destructibles. I'll vote for...
"Haven of the Pantheon"!

Status
Not open for further replies.